• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

HokieJoe

Done and up for everyone, I hope you guys like it. Enjoy it and get some races going with it so I can make some money :D

#1 RedBull Racing Pagani Zonda Cinque

11380233663_362fef683b_c.jpg

n6kEzmw.gif

Xanadu

Banned
Not all cases. There's plenty of times where Stella actually talks about the specific car and not the manufacturer.
But I agree that in future, perhaps there should be separate bios for manufacturer and vehicles..

Drag racing and TAG?
Wouldn't mind some actual fixes for various issues though...

stella is it? not a fan of her voice, much preferred the english gentleman

JDizzv

for curvy tracks, what crudediatribe wrote above is solid advice. for faster tracks, you will have to trade some of those handling mods for speed mods.
also, for smaller classes you simply cant go all out either on handling mods, or on power mods. you will have to balance it.

for your tuning and testing options, the best thing is go through the tune menu, apply the hardware mods, then press the button to start dialing-in tuning settings. from that same menu, you will press (Y) to test drive the car you are tuning, choose a track, and the game takes you there, BUT with the tuning menu available. so ANYTIME you are testing your tune, you can jump into tuning settings menu and do corrections while racing at the track.
be sure to use this feature as you get to immediately tune&test, which helps.

also, pressing the d-pad up while racing, it brings up the real time telemetry data, and you can check some variables on the fly as you get into turns etc, which will further help you fine tuning.

and yes, the forza community features, and the forza community itself, is the best thing that ever happened in a racing game in my opinion.
this is the "crown jewel" of forza, and it aint prague or spa or whatever, and turn10 better make god-damn sure that they do EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING they can to facilitate the community and keep it healthy and happy!

there are teams of people that spend their time in creating fantastic tunes and fantastic paintjobs or even stickers, and yes, they do it all so that other people can use them and have fun.
these features on forza 5, you will have to wait a little bit until they get fully grown again, but yes, the basic idea is that you can get the tunes that are used by the top leaderboard places, as long as the tuner that did it has it up for sale.
same with paintjobs. I mean look above at what h3rtz did. he could keep this freakin fantastic design to himself, so everybody feels so fuckin jealous when they see him with this car online, OR, he could present it and put it up to be used by the forza community (which is what he does)

h3rtz, i thought i was buying the veyron for my next exotic, but it looks like I'm getting a zonda before it :) car looks fantastic! well done once again 8)

Gotcha. I can definitely say that I'm enjoying Forza 5 a lot more now, now that I have some sense of "direction" in what I'm doing lol. So again thanks. One thing I'm kinda stuck on though is your leaderboard suggestion. I've been digging through the menus whenever I play (and boy are they deep) and I can't seem to find leaderboards anywhere that'd allow me to locate top 100-200 car or top 50 tune. Am I missing something or perhaps are leaderboards located somewhere on the web?

MoonGred

Hey guys, can anyone explain what counts as a "dirty lap".

More often than not I might have a slight bump in my first lap, but everything after that is more or less smooth sailing.
I've noticed that I keep having the "!" next to my lap time regardless of a new lap or not
(I don't use the rewind function, and don't cut corners or anything, but it doesn't seem to change anything).

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Hey guys, can anyone explain what counts as a "dirty lap".

More often than not I might have a slight bump in my first lap, but everything after that is more or less smooth sailing.
I've noticed that I keep having the "!" next to my lap time regardless of a new lap or not
(I don't use the rewind function, and don't cut corners or anything, but it doesn't seem to change anything).

Could be AI cars drafting behind you (AKA the dumbest thing ever).

saladine1

Could be AI cars drafting behind you (AKA the dumbest thing ever).

lol, yeah, it's a woeful penalty if I'm honest.

Regarding FV again. One thing that would be more beneficial than just a bio, would be some practical information regarding the car itself.

Have the narrator talk about:

The vehicle's handling traits
Whether it's prone to under/oversteer
Whether it's a nimble or brute of a car
What kind of tracks would be suited for the vehicle
What upgrades it could benefit from
..etc

At least that way, more people would engage this mode because of it's insight.

This can also be applied to the upgrades and tuning section. Instead of scrolling information and a static image of the upgrade, have a narrator discuss it in more detail. Perhaps even some animations/video of the what the upgrade actually does. I mean, you can read all night on what a diff upgrade can do and still not understand it. Actually showing what the upgrade does in motion however, now that's something more people could understand.
The same with tuning.

It's probably a lot of work but if you want more people to gravitate to these kind of features with some form of confidence, you must make it easier for said people to understand it..

Shaneus

Regarding FV again. One thing that would be more beneficial than just a bio, would be some practical information regarding the car itself.

..etc

This can also be applied to the upgrades and tuning section. Instead of scrolling information and a static image of the upgrade, have a narrator discuss it in more detail. Perhaps even some animations/video of the what the upgrade actually does. I mean, you can read all night on what a diff upgrade can do and still not understand it. Actually showing what the upgrade does in motion however, now that's something more people could understand.
The same with tuning.

It's probably a lot of work but if you want more people to gravitate to these kind of features with some form of confidence, you must make it easier for said people to understand it..
They had similar info in AV in FM4, didn't they?

p3tran

Banned
Gotcha. I can definitely say that I'm enjoying Forza 5 a lot more now, now that I have some sense of "direction" in what I'm doing lol. So again thanks. One thing I'm kinda stuck on though is your leaderboard suggestion. I've been digging through the menus whenever I play (and boy are they deep) and I can't seem to find leaderboards anywhere that'd allow me to locate top 100-200 car or top 50 tune. Am I missing something or perhaps are leaderboards located somewhere on the web?
as I said on my first reply, usually I would just point you to a couple of good tuner's storefronts and get you going.
this functionality is not present in forza 5 yet.
you can download tunes from the tuning menu, SETUP MANAGER -> LOAD option, but the way this system works right now is not up to par.
your best bet for the best tune is to first locate a good tuning team or a great tune for the car you like through the official forums (tuners usually list the laptimes achieved with their setups), then find them in-game by searching for their "gamertag" or "tune name" with the method I wrote above.
so when you press the LOAD tune option, there is another option below that lets you search with user-defined criteria. thats the one you will use to get the tune you already located.

edit:
here's a link to f5 general forums
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/173/ShowForum.aspx
here's another to tuning marketplace, only you will have to look what is f5 and what is f4
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/161/ShowForum.aspx
and in general, and out of my head, some tuners that had good tunes in previous games are gearbox, jfiller, worm, raceboy, takumi, etc
I wont be producing any more tune files until storefront is back in, but if you find yourself struggling, shoot me a msg and maybe I can whip something up for you if you dont find what you want yet.

MoonGred

So I just redeemed my forza reward credits and tried to play the game again, but it seems in an endless loading loop at the starting screen. I get the "gifs received" but just keeps on loading. I've let it go for about 5 minutes, went to homescreen and closed the app, and started again, same result. Same thing happens after a reboot of the system. Has anyone had this before?

Edit: after a while my whole xbox just froze

p3tran

Banned
It would be nice if it could show what lap time events my friends have beaten me in, instead of having to scroll through each event manually.

there is a rivals message popping up in your messages, if one of your friends beats your time in any of the events you have participated.
if you scroll your messages section, you will find the rivals tab. and pressing that specific message saying which friend of yours passed you where, you are immediately taken there to take ..your blood back :D

If you want an easy confidence boost do the auto cross rivals...........its a graveyard.

Im top 300 in a couple just for doing a clean lap, I didnt even try to go fast. LOL

Mascot

..etc

The same with tuning.

Sounds like you are slowly getting sold on the whole FV concept, Sal. Looks like Dan might be winning the war of attrition.

:p

I bolded a pertinent part of your quote. Now, as has been discussed here for years and years and what most of us agreed on a long time ago: a game has finite resources - time, talent and money - during its development. Hopefully everybody realises that including somethings like FV will always be at the expense of something else, something that (it could be argued) is perhaps more important in a racing game. The FV guys aren't the same guys who model tracks, but they are still funded for from the same central pool of resources. You still need to rob Peter to pay Paul.

One of the biggest criticism of FM5 revolves around fundamental components of a racing game: the meagre selection of tracks, the absence of pit strategy, the lack of qualifying rounds etc. Surely development of non-essential features like Forzavista should only be considered once sufficient resources have been allocated to ensure that the basics of a racing game are in place and adequately funded? FV is gravy, pure and simple, and no amount of gravy will compensate if the meat and veg portions are relatively small.

I posted the following in a different thread (the one where it's hinted that night and weather won't be coming to Forza 6) but it sums up my feelings quite concisely:

I'm very disappointed that the hardware limitation excuse has now been replaced with a time & resources one and I'd love it if Forza 6 was actually true to its 'Motorsport' suffix and became less about being an interactive car brochure.

Ditch the huge resource drain that Forzavista must be, drop the meaningless and gimmicky Top Gear tie-in, let Horizon deal with festival features like drag and drift, and lose the ridiculous two and three-lap races.

Introduce necessary pit stops, meaningful tyre wear and critical fuel strategy. Implement an effective flag system and time penalties. Have drivers earn grid positions through qualifying sessions. Make the career mode actually feel like a career.

Who knows, if Turn 10 trim the fat and stop trying to be everything to every man, then maybe time and resources can be freed up to deliver a pure and honest motorsport simulator, with a brand new engine built to efficiently take advantage of next-gen hardware with eight times more power, and capable of simulating dynamic precipitation and times of day.

The problem is, I truly believe that Forza Motorsport has evolved into exactly what Dan wants it to be and is now in perfect synergy with his own personal vision. It's a car game, not a racing game, and dynamic weather and times of day aren't deemed necessary or even important. The 'Motorsport' part of the title has never really felt more inappropriate.

Sounds like you are slowly getting sold on the whole FV concept, Sal. Looks like Dan might be winning the war of attrition.

I bolded a pertinent part of your quote. Now, as has been discussed here for years and years and what most of us agreed on a long time ago: a game has finite resources - time, talent and money - during its development. Hopefully everybody realises that including somethings like FV will always be at the expense of something else, something that (it could be argued) is perhaps more important in a racing game. The FV guys aren't the same guys who model tracks, but they are still funded for from the same central pool of resources. You still need to rob Peter to pay Paul.

One of the biggest criticism of FM5 revolves around fundamental components of a racing game: the meagre selection of tracks, the absence of pit strategy, the lack of qualifying rounds etc. Surely development of non-essential features like Forzavista should only be considered once sufficient resources have been allocated to ensure that the basics of a racing game are in place and adequately funded? FV is gravy, pure and simple, and no amount of gravy will compensate if the meat and veg portions are relatively small.

I posted the following in a different thread (the one where it's hinted that night and weather won't be coming to Forza 6) but it sums up my feelings quite concisely:

In a world where driving is referred to as "Grind" your vision would probably kill the series.

elektrixx

Banned
If all the races mostly went above 2 or 3 laps I'd probably quit playing. I'm not really a racing sim guy and really appreciate rewind, quick engine upgrades, short races and the Forzavista stuff.

Maybe it's guys like me that kill it for others. There's probably guys out there that wouldn't play Forza without tokens!

Seanspeed

Banned
We had so many threads about that on FM forums back in the FM2/3 days.

Mods deleted them all.
God, I remember that. It was Forza 3, though. Forza 2 did not have the 'validation' system.

The 'car is behind you, your lap is invalidated' idea is still quite dumb. It caters to the tiny percentage of leaderboard pro's at the expense of all the other millions of people who play it. It makes it so even clean laps you achieve in a race are often voided simply because a person was somewhat close behind you at some point on the track. And then half the time, the fastest lap screen at the end of the race is completely misleading because there's a very good chance that your best lap isn't even represented unless ALL your laps were invalidated.

It was a stupid idea then and its annoying that they refused to ever address the issue.

p3tran

Banned
In a world where driving is referred to as "Grind" your vision would probably kill the series.

I agree, plus one more thing:

i really believe that stuff like dynamic sunsets and snowdrops, these things are much more NOT related to pure motorsport simulation, and are more the "eye candy car game" stuff that mascot says.
I have yet to meet a driver in real life, that would be THRILLED that during his trackday the heavens are open and it pours non-stop. or that he prefers squinting to race at night than on a perfect day. everybody is wishing for perfect weather when he goes to track. and there is a reason for this too :)

i mean, WHEN and IF we reach a PERFECT simulation of racing on dry, perfect tarmac, and enrich it, THEN I can discuss about the need to be moving to mastery of other things, like nights and lights and rain and shower.
otherwise, if having to pay an outside team to create autovista visual candy seems a bad focus, to me it seems 10x bad to have your core programming team (those that deliver) to spend their time trying to half-ass emulate driving on wet tarmac or even worse, snowy tarmac etc.

i would be 10x times less happy if I got fora 4's physics model in forza 5, just so that I could be shown some ...water or ...snow, instead of what I got in 5.

horizon will be the game that focuses on this eye candy is my guess, and I am very ok with this decision.

Why? Both cars gain an advantage.
this is correct too. both cars have advantage, so its right to invalidate.
you want to put down fast clean laps for leaderboard competition? career races is not the best place for it :)

I agree, plus one more thing:

i really believe that stuff like dynamic sunsets and snowdrops, these things are much more NOT related to pure motorsport simulation, and are more the "eye candy car game" stuff that mascot says.
I have yet to meet a driver in real life, that would be THRILLED that during his trackday the heavens are open and it pours non-stop. or that he prefers squinting to race at night than on a perfect day. everybody is wishing for perfect weather when he goes to track. and there is a reason for this too :)

i mean, WHEN and IF we reach a PERFECT simulation of racing on dry, perfect tarmac, and enrich it, THEN I can discuss about the need to be moving to mastery of other things, like nights and lights and rain and shower.
otherwise, if having to pay an outside team to create autovista visual candy seems a bad focus, to me it seems 10x bad to have your core programming team (those that deliver) to spend their time trying to half-ass emulate driving on wet tarmac or even worse, snowy tarmac etc.

i would be 10x times less happy if I got fora 4's physics model in forza 5, just so that I could be shown some ...water or ...snow, instead of what I got in 5.

horizon will be the game that focuses on this eye candy is my guess, and I am very ok with this decision.

Also until rain is = to PGR 4 level I dont want it. It still looks teribad.

saladine1

Believe me, I want nothing more than to see certain features such as weather, night,pit stops..etc. I'm DYING to see this in the game. These type of features are what draws people in. They give the game so much variety it's not funny.
One track in the day time suddenly becomes another track in the wet and another track in the night. Different situations call for different driving styles and strategies. The monotony of racing around in the day time becomes alleviated by the aforementioned.
Same goes for simulated pit stops and related strategies. Having to contend with tyre wear, fuel depletion, aero/mechanical damage..etc adds a whole other dimension to an otherwise stock affair.
Excuses such as difficulty that these things impose on players is ridiculous. Forza has prided itself on balance. You can make the game as challenging or as easy as you like. Keep the traction control, stability management,normal steering, driving line, ABS, AI difficulty, mechanical damage..etc and the game becomes ridiculously easy for a 5year old to play. Take all that away and it becomes a hardcore simulator.

So what difference will adding in other 'difficult' options make?
How will this impact on the casual player you so long to appease, if you approach the design the same way as you do with driving aids?

They certainly can do it but as you mentioned, it's Greenawalt's desire NOT to.

Having said that, I still want to see the 'gamey' features too such as Vista. I like the cars having an identity of sorts rather than just being a thing you take on the track. I want to hear about it's history. What makes it special. What makes it quirky. It's specs and traits. This builds appreciation for it.
Sure, it can always be a deeper experience but it's something at least. It's like in GT's museum cards and watching the cars drive whilst reading it's bio. I enjoy that kind of respect afforded to cars and auto history.

Look, stagnation is a killer. If you don't look past your own desires and visions and embrace what the mob really wants, you stand to lose a whole heap of shit.

So yeah, FM6 needs to feature some kind of variables for racing. It really does. At the same time, it will never be a straight PC sim-like experience, I understand that.

It's a tough balancing act for sure....

hadareud

The Translator
I'm not keen on night-time racing, but definitely on dynamic weather and on racing under floodlights.

But only if done right, not like in F1 (for instance), where the wet is a bit of a joke. I believe them when they say that it would take a monumental effort to get the physics for rain right, but I do hope that it will happen in Forza 6.

But as mentioned above, I think pit-stops, realistic tire-wear and mechanical issues would add just as much, if not more, as weather to the game. I definitely also want to see longer races and qualifying, at least as an option.

The two or three lap races are not enough - it's nothing to do with racing. If you start at the back (as you invariably do), the only way to get a gold with pro avatars is to smash your way through the field. Which in turn also makes all drivatars drive like dicks. Which also means that getting a gold is almost impossible without using the rewind feature.

there is a rivals message popping up in your messages, if one of your friends beats your time in any of the events you have participated.
if you scroll your messages section, you will find the rivals tab. and pressing that specific message saying which friend of yours passed you where, you are immediately taken there to take ..your blood back :D

Hmm, never gotten one of those related to an actual friend...just a rivals recommendation for some stranger.

Seanspeed

Banned
One track in the day time suddenly becomes another track in the wet and another track in the night.
Eh. Depends on how you see it. For me, it doesn't change much. Nighttime changes nothing and being wet, how its done in games, isn't really all that transforming either(usually just a flat reduction in grip).

Anyways, I think we've had this discussion before. :p I'm more into the competitive aspects of racing than anything. These things really don't add much for me.

I think they're just good for a little bit of variety here and there. I'm certainly gonna spend the bulk of my time racing during the day in dry conditions because that's how its best experienced and what you spend most of your time 'training' for.

p3tran

Banned
I feel like I'm missing something obvious, what's the advantage?
very simply put, you have two engines fighting the same air resistance. so even the first car gets an advantage, as (not sure about the term being correct in english) the rear drag coefficient (Fd) is less even for the car ahead.
Hmm, never gotten one of those related to an actual friend...just a rivals recommendation for some stranger.
add me up so you get lots of rival messages from friendlist :)

Xanadu

Banned
Eh. Depends on how you see it. For me, it doesn't change much. Nighttime changes nothing and being wet, how its done in games, isn't really all that transforming either(usually just a flat reduction in grip).

Anyways, I think we've had this discussion before. :p I'm more into the competitive aspects of racing than anything. These things really don't add much for me.

I think they're just good for a little bit of variety here and there. I'm certainly gonna spend the bulk of my time racing during the day in dry conditions because that's how its best experienced and what you spend most of your time 'training' for.

night racing changes A LOT, visibility is hugely decreased and you have to almost guess certain turns, and even night racing with track lights is just fucking cool, remember tokyo circuit? that track just wouldnt have the same atmosphere in the day time

I never expected to miss some of the fantasy tracks so much... :(

I want Maple Valley and the Montserrat tracks back. I can live without Fujimi Kaido, Sunset Peninsula and Sedona

night racing changes A LOT, visibility is hugely decreased and you have to almost guess certain turns, and even night racing with track lights is just fucking cool, remember tokyo circuit? that track just wouldnt have the same atmosphere in the day time

Depends on how well it's implemented, Horizon felt more like a palette swap than night driving.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, what's the advantage?

I'm not sure there's an advantage as far away as the point at which it invalidates your lap, but it smoothes the airflow around the front car as well as the rear. If you're running 2-3 behind a distant leader, there are big gains to be made by teaming up and drafting on a high speed section.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yes, these things are 'cool', but they do very little to enhance the racing(not the driving, but the racing) and the competitive aspects in general, which is mainly why I play these.

I never expected to miss some of the fantasy tracks so much... :(

I want Maple Valley and the Montserrat tracks back. I can live without Fujimi Kaido, Sunset Peninsula and Sedona

They shouldn't have dropped Camino Veijo, not only a decent looking track but the downhill section was scary and struggling back up hill in low class cars was great.

Mascot

Yes, these things are 'cool', but they do very little to enhance the racing(not the driving, but the racing) and the competitive aspects in general, which is mainly why I play these.

Wasn't it in Shift 2 (on last-gen hardware, no less) where night-time collisions might mean losing one (or both) headlights, vastly reducing visibility and making you bloody careful about any front impacts?

Where your cockpit would dynamically illuminate from the headlights of cars behind you, vastly increasing the tension and the feeling of being hunted down?

Where you could be dazzled in the rear-view mirror, momentarily blinding you?

Where damaged cars in front might have no rear lights at all, making them harder to spot and even harder to tell when they were braking?

I'd say those enhanced the racing quite a bit, and added one fuck of a lot to the competitive aspects in general.

saladine1

Wasn't it in Shift 2 (on last-gen hardware, no less) where night-time collisions might mean losing one (or both) headlights, vastly reducing visibility and making you bloody careful about any front impacts?

Where your cockpit would dynamically illuminate from the headlights of cars behind you, vastly increasing the tension and the feeling of being hunted down?

Where damaged cars in front might have no rear lights at all, making them harder to spot and even harder to tell when they were braking?

I'd say those enhanced the racing quite a bit, and added one fuck of a lot to the competitive aspects in general.

Fuck yeah!

Shift 2. Bathurst. Night. Game over.

Seanspeed

Banned

Never played it.

That doesn't sound fun, though. More 'immersive', maybe, but not more fun. I'd be really annoyed to have somebody brake way earlier than I expected in the first corner and then have to run the entire race without headlights. Same thing with full damage in any racing sim. FUCK being punished for other's stupidity. I hate that. I always much prefer to race with damage off.

And not being able to see where a car is ahead of you? Again, sounds like shit. That's not fun. That makes the competitive aspects worse. Its throwing wildcard shit into the mix.

Again, I don't think you guys play these games for the same reasons I do. We're not going to agree on this.

Mascot

Fuck yeah!

Shift 2. Bathurst. Night. Game over.

It's such a shame Dan doesn't agree.

Does he know that even bowling alleys open at night and soccer can be played under floodlights?

Never played it.

That doesn't sound fun, though. More 'immersive', maybe, but not more fun. I'd be really annoyed to have somebody brake way earlier than I expected in the first corner and then have to run the entire race without headlights. Same thing with full damage in any racing sim. FUCK being punished for other's stupidity. I hate that. I always much prefer to race with damage off.

And not being able to see where a car is ahead of you? Again, sounds like shit. That's not fun. That makes the competitive aspects worse. Its throwing wildcard shit into the mix.

Again, I don't think you guys play these games for the same reasons I do. We're not going to agree on this.

I guess we aren't.

Do you enjoy racing on ovals with rolling starts?

Xanadu

Banned
Never played it.

i think we find the harsh realism fun and you dont, i want the game to be as challenging as possible, forza has always been a very easy game, i havent played 5 but from watching videos the unbeatable AI seems like a joke once more

p3tran

Banned
Please don't bring up the Shit Shift series the handling was criminally bad, and the racing effects were way overdone.

this! so much! more like a skateboard simulator than anything resembling a car.

it could have baby jesus peeing to create golden rainshowers, and still it would be the same, bad game underneath. so who cares?

Xanadu

Banned

it could have baby jesus peeing to create golden rainshowers, and still it would be the same, bad game underneath. so who cares?

that doesnt mean it didnt have some good parts as well, the driving sucked, but as mascot said it had awesome night mode

Mascot

Wow. That's incredibly narrow-minded. Do you really want Turn 10 to exist in a bubble?

Top Bottom