• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

ok, what settings do you guys use on the wheel in f5?
first thing (and only yet) I did was to go to the settings and ..lessen feedback and force by a 35%.
the wheel pulls too much. so much its not realistic or enjoyable :D
but it does seem to have strong motors :D

Mid Dec update is supposed to refine ffb.

Strong forces sound good though, there was a noticeable drop in strength between PC and Forza before.

how do I know what events that car is eligible for if it is in fact a higher class

You don't, aside from the class-championship events. Pick a car, find an event for which it's listed as 'current car is eligible' (which it won't say on the event group screen, only 'garage cars eligible' or 'cars affordable'). After you try to enter an event it will offer to auto-upgrade your car to be competitive. If you hit 'manual upgrade' it will tell you the restriction.

DirtyLarry

You don't, aside from the class-championship events. Pick a car, find an event for which it's listed as 'current car is eligible' (which it won't say on the event group screen, only 'garage cars eligible' or 'cars affordable'). After you try to enter an event it will offer to auto-upgrade your car to be competitive. If you hit 'manual upgrade' it will tell you the restriction.
Thanks for this, I thought I was missing something painfully obvious.
I guess I am just way to early on to even come across an event where I am not in a car that is competitive either. I have a looooooooong way to go. Unfortunately I only get time here and there to play, so this one game could potentially last me months.
Thanks again.

Ty4on

Wasn't it in Shift 2 (on last-gen hardware, no less) where night-time collisions might mean losing one (or both) headlights, vastly reducing visibility and making you bloody careful about any front impacts?

Need for Speed 4 (probably 3 as well) and 5 did that as well. NFS 5 (Porsche) came out in 2000 :p

NFS 4 even had high and low beams, but you had to cycle between them and I'm pretty sure low beams were quite useless other than making the cars look cooler in the rain. I don't understand why people like NFS 6 so much. It was the first NFS without a cockpit view, lacked weather and night and relied on track ribbons to inflate the track count. Underground IMO just turned that the dullness up to 11 and now only had one track with a bunch of ribbons.

Hawk269

Why is Free Play broken?

I have some tuned vehicles in D, C, B & A Class. The are rated at the top, for example my C Class is at 500, which is the highest to be still in "C" class. When I play Free Play, why does the system not give me competitors that are at the same PI Level? I am playing at the highest difficulty setting (and I am not that good) and I smoke the field of 15 other cars in almost every race. The few times I don't come in 1st, I am in 2nd by a large margin.

I just wish it would properly match up AI cars to your performance index to make it some what of a challenge. This is not the case in the single player career mode however, so not sure why in the hell it does this in Free Play.

Another odd issue is seeing your friends on the leaderboards. If I am not ranked on a given leaderboard and I change the sorting to show only friends it pops up instantly. But once I am ranked, it no longer comes up. I have found a trick to make it work and that is hitting the sort button really fast a few times making the game cycle from overall leaderboards to near me and finally friends. Doing this a few times it will finally come up, but I have to do it fast. If I slowly hit the button and call up each leaderboard, when I get to the friends it is just a blank screen. It will show in the upper right corner how many people are on the list, but it will not show the list unless I do the "really fast sort" button trick.

To say the least, they have a lot of stuff to fix in this game, but yet I am still enjoying the hell out of it.

Dramos

I wish they would release a similar track to Fujimo Kaido... I want to get into drifting. Does anyone have some good tutorials or introduction for drifiting in Forza Motorsport 5. I really have no idea how to drift.

oVerde

Banned
I wish they would release a similar track to Fujimo Kaido... I want to get into drifting. Does anyone have some good tutorials or introduction for drifiting in Forza Motorsport 5. I really have no idea how to drift.

Goes to Manual transmission, turn off Break Assists, on turning goes to a down your gear lower than you're already running.. you'll slip like a soap :lol:

Has anyone raced my Drivatar? I see Zorbs, Spaceman Spiff, Muerte X, Masscot, Saladine a lot and Big Takeover occasionally. 'BBQ Pit' sometimes, though I forget who that is.

I am playing at the highest difficulty setting (and I am not that good) and I smoke the field of 15 other cars in almost every race.

I've only tried it once, but in my 5-lap race of Spa I had a close race with a couple of cars, though I did come first. I think the thing that changed the feeling the most from the career mode was that I started at the front row— maybe this was luck?

Another odd issue is seeing your friends on the leaderboards.

Yeah, I found that last night. Quite annoying.

DirtyLarry

Okay another what could be a dumb question, but where our my cars?
I got 2 cars "gifted" to me from MS directly via email before the game was even released, and also I have the Day One Pack. They all show up under Add-Ons when I choose that option from the dashboard, yet I see them nowhere in the game under My Cars. Even went to Free Ride.
Am I mistaken in believing I actually own the cars, and they are simply just "unlocked" for me to purchase with my own credit or tokens?
Furthermore is DLC the same way? Do you only make those cars available to own, you actually do not own them until you spend credits or tokens on them?
If it is you just unlock the ability to purchase them, wow, that is some bullshit. Thanks for the preorder incentive. LOL

Raudi

This post made me load up Shift 2 on my 360 for the first time in ages. Once I'd remembered that my wheel settings for this game were saved to S-3 on the Fanatec it was awesome. Controls and handling (tweaked over time) felt perfect. Been racing the R8 LMS at Donnington and Willow Springs and had more adrenaline-fuelled thrills in the past couple of hours than in a month of Sundays in FM4, and I'm sitting here sweating like a sex pest. I really wish Forza would capture some of this intangible... Fuck, I don't even have a word for it. It goes beyond atmosphere, beyond feeling. You experience this game through your thumping chest, through the tension in your shoulders, in your dry eyes from forgetting to blink, in the ache in your hands from fighting the wheel.

Shift 2 is a long way from perfect and Forza undoubtedly presents a much more complete overall package, but for pure unadulterated racing thrills you simply cannot beat it on consoles when everything is set up and dialled in correctly.

Its such a shame that the game needs tweaking so much before it finds its groove because a lot of racing game fans have let preconceptions cloud their judgement and have missed out on a fantastic experience here.

Apologies for the derail, but if just one player gives it another look then this post has been worth it.

I enjoyed Shift 2 as well after dialing it in on my Fanatec Porsche Turbo S Wheel. Only problem was after the last patch for the game - I would lose FFB Centering effect between races, or after a crash which made it unplayable. Even tested with my CSRE when I got it and had the same issues.

Are you not having any FFB issues? (I assume you connected online and have all the patches)

Sorry for further OT Derailing! My T500RS pedals will be here tomorrow and have all 3 rims for my TX wheel now, waiting on patch!

DirtyLarry

yes you still have to buy them with credits
Thanks. I am assuming even the DLC as well?

I get not unlocking the ability to ride certain cars until progressing in one's career, but I am seriously befuddled as to how they can advertise the Day One Car Pack for example as a preorder incentive if all it really means is those cars are just available to unlock and I do not actually own them. That just seems wrong.
So are they not even available otherwise? Like if someone did not have the Day One Car Pack, they would not even see those cars yet they clearly exist in the game itself if someone does have the code?
I seriously am struggling here to understand all of this. It is supposed to be a preorder bonus, yet all the bonus really is is the ability to purchase the cars with the in game credit or tokens?

Sorry, not trying to rain on anyone's parade and I understand there are people who take this whole genre very seriously, but as I said, I am struggling here to understand it all.

Raudi

Thanks. I am assuming even the DLC as well?

I get not unlocking the ability to ride certain cars until progressing in one's career, but I am seriously befuddled as to how they can advertise the Day One Car Pack for example as a preorder incentive if all it really means is those cars are just available to unlock and I do not actually own them. That just seems wrong.
So are they not even available otherwise? Like if someone did not have the Day One Car Pack, they would not even see those cars yet they clearly exist in the game itself if someone does have the code?
I seriously am struggling here to understand all of this. It is supposed to be a preorder bonus, yet all the bonus really is is the ability to purchase the cars with the in game credit or tokens?

Sorry, not trying to rain on anyone's parade and I understand there are people who take this whole genre very seriously, but as I said, I am struggling here to understand it all.

You pretty much got it right - The Day one car pack, Limited Edition, DLC car packs only "unlock" the car to be purchased with in game credits.

You can see the cars from these packs because the 1st title update included them. With previous iterations of Forza you could download a free car from the DLC packs which included all the other cars so you could see them in game (otherwise you would see a black VW Bora).

Sorry for further OT Derailing! My T500RS pedals will be here tomorrow and have all 3 rims for my TX wheel now, waiting on patch!

Nice. I was tempted to get a compatible pedal set but with no shifter I'll hold out for a Clubsport pedal adapter.

Have you heard of any attempts to get Fantec's shifters wotking with the TX?

HokieJoe

The problem with oval racing in these games is the devs don't understand oval racing either, and/or have just gone for the biggest names they can (Indy! Daytona!). Oval racing is really good fun, but it needs to be done on a track that demanding of the driver. Especially in lieu of the small car counts. It's the game that's making it not fun. When it's done right (iRacing, NR2003), it's pretty incredible, and nothing like what FM/GT offers up.

That's not to say Indy isn't demanding, it certainly is. Just not with these physics.

It's a shame that oval racing is portrayed in such a goofy manner, and I'm not even much of an oval racer.

I defy any fan of the racing game genre to run 50 laps at Daytona, Talladega, Atlanta or Texas in NR2003 and tell me it's easy, lol. Anything but. After EA got the NASCAR license I just forgot about the series completely. They turned a AAA sim into utter shit. I also agree that neither Gran Turismo or Forza get it right either. That said, I've moved on now. I much prefer the ALMS and road coarse racing series.

Hawk269

What is everyone's drivatar sync at? I am at 47% as of today.

Feel free to add me for more ghosts to race and/or Drivatar:

GamerTag: Hawk269

Sebtrt

Neo Member
Anyone else just get gifted an additional LaFerrari and Lotus E21? After VIP not working for a few weeks, I'm glad this screw up actually worked in my favor haha

Hawk269

Anyone else just get gifted an additional LaFerrari and Lotus E21? After VIP not working for a few weeks, I'm glad this screw up actually worked in my favor haha

Yeah, I just got the same thing. Not sure how it works in your favor though as you cant sell it or gift it to someone, you just end up with 2 of the same cars in your garage.

This brings up yet another issue and that is that the game does not designate which cars you own when shopping for new cars. A little icon when you select a car denoting that you already have the car in your garage would be a way to fix this. I accidently have bought a few duplicates already and with no way to sell them back, you just end up with a few of the same cars in your garage.

Mascot

I enjoyed Shift 2 as well after dialing it in on my Fanatec Porsche Turbo S Wheel. Only problem was after the last patch for the game - I would lose FFB Centering effect between races, or after a crash which made it unplayable. Even tested with my CSRE when I got it and had the same issues.

Are you not having any FFB issues? (I assume you connected online and have all the patches)

Sorry for further OT Derailing!

This was driving me mad as well but I found out (by happy accident) that simply pausing and unpausing the game as soon as a race starts resets the wheel FFB to what it should be. Give it a go if you've still got the means.

Mascot

Has anyone raced my Drivatar? I see Zorbs, Spaceman Spiff, Muerte X, Masscot, Saladine a lot and Big Takeover occasionally. 'BBQ Pit' sometimes, though I forget who that is.

OK, something is amiss here. I don't own an Xbone and I've never played FM5. How can I possibly have a Drivatar profile?

So - when you think you are driving against friends' Drivatars it might actually just be any old profile (or standard AI) with the friend's gamertag randomly assigned to it?

This isn't how I remember the Drivatar system was supposed to work.

Edit: oops - DP.

Just finished an awesome race, 15 laps on Le Mans (full), McLaren M23 (me) vs full grid of modern R (LaFerrari, P1, Veyron etc) class cars, expert difficulty, finished 1st :D

I have a replay up if anyone wants to see it. I'm gonna do 25 laps tomorrow on either SPA or Le Mans again, so much fun :D

Also here is this...

https://rewards.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/fm5lce

LCE owners can redeem any car they want now, one car one time deal, choose wisely ;)

OK, something is amiss here. I don't own an Xbone and I've never played FM5. How can I possibly have a Drivatar profile?

So - when you think you are driving against friends' Drivatars it might actually just be any old profile (or standard AI) with the friend's gamertag randomly assigned to it?

This isn't how I remember the Drivatar system was supposed to work.

Edit: oops - DP.

That's your prize for the thread title.

Enjoy!

Krilekk

Banned
Just finished an awesome race, 15 laps on Le Mans (full), McLaren M23 (me) vs full grid of modern R (LaFerrari, P1, Veyron etc) class cars, expert difficulty, finished 1st :D

I have a replay up if anyone wants to see it. I'm gonna do 25 laps tomorrow on either SPA or Le Mans again, so much fun :D

Also here is this...

LCE owners can redeem any car they want now, one car one time deal, choose wisely ;)

Did the logical thing and got my Ferrari 250 GTO. Turn 10 gifted me cars worth 13.4 million CR today. And another 6 million credits earlier thanks to Forza Rewards. Bought cars for 50 % off with 4 of those. Plus five more cars worth about 10 million CR. So all in all Turn 10 has gifted me 33.4 million CR. The amount of CR I have earned in 21 hours behind the wheel: 1.8 million. Just shows how ridiculous the whole economy is right now. The amount of grinding that's necessary just to get the cars you need for all careers is ridiculous. That update better be here soon.

SmokyDave

Wasn't it in Shift 2 (on last-gen hardware, no less) where night-time collisions might mean losing one (or both) headlights, vastly reducing visibility and making you bloody careful about any front impacts?

Where your cockpit would dynamically illuminate from the headlights of cars behind you, vastly increasing the tension and the feeling of being hunted down?

Where you could be dazzled in the rear-view mirror, momentarily blinding you?

Where damaged cars in front might have no rear lights at all, making them harder to spot and even harder to tell when they were braking?

I'd say those enhanced the racing quite a bit, and added one fuck of a lot to the competitive aspects in general.
Goddamn, I really need to fire up Shift 2 later. I'd forgotten all about that. Night races were fucking killer.

Almost as much fun as blatting around the Nurburgring in the rain in a Red Bull prototype and realising it has no wipers.

Sh0k

Same here, I got a message yesterday that I was gifted a car and to my surprise it was another Lotus E21. I wish there is a way to sell the car to get the credits, now I have two E21s sitting in my garage :(

p3tran

Banned
That AND an Xbone signed by First Dan?

Awesome!

so, apparently your digital self is having a blast in forza 5. when will the rest of you join up? :)

Same here, I got a message yesterday that I was gifted a car and to my surprise it was another Lotus E21. I wish there is a way to sell the car to get the credits, now I have two E21s sitting in my garage :(
and you complain? i have not two but THREE E21, because i was fast enough to gather (and spend) the millions to get one, before it started ..raining lotuses :)

one oem, one red ferrari, one red bull is what I have right now. if things keep up like this, it wont be long that we could do a full grid of F1 just by the cars in our garages :)

zorbsie

Haven't seen yours yet. It's probably because I've already raced the series you're in. I'm moving along in the career and I noticed fewer and fewer friends in races. It's a bummer, I want to see my friends drivatars not some random dudes. That's why I think you'll only see your friends if they have raced that career race, I think. :)

Also got a second E21 and redeemed for a Ferrari 250. Now to save up for that Shelby.

Dynamic3

Saw some Day One copies sitting behind the counter at Best Buy and I couldn't resist.

How does one identify which cars/performance ratings are required for a specific series?

Also, is it just me or are the spokes on the TE37 way too thin? This bothers me greatly.

Weird. No X1 for me yet (but very soon). We aren't even friends (just rectified that). I'm assuming that's normal. It just takes friends, or friend of friends, and applies a drivatar profile to them. Yes? I've got to get up to speed on some of this stuff!

purg3

slept with Malkin

Also here is this...

Awesome, thanks for the link.

Now the tough decision, which car to redeem? I'm not at home right now but besides like the e21 what's some of the most expensive cars to get the most value from this? Thinking one of the mclaren's or a veyron?

zorbsie

CrudeDiatribe: Just raced you in the 1970s Grand Prix series. It still gets me everytime I see a friends name pop up during a race.

Weird. No X1 for me yet (but very soon).

Weird! I hope I'm not crazy. I will try and save the replay the next time it happens. Assuming I'm not crazy.

For some reason, I always see your Drivatar in the top 5 of the grid.

Excellent. My simulacrum domination of the racing world is going according to plan.

Just raced you in the 1970s Grand Prix series.

Huh, I've yet to actually drive anything that fast in the game.

Huh, I've yet to actually drive anything that fast in the game.

Drivatars are based on your driving style. If they were based on the contents of your garage or event types races you may never actually see your friends.

The system merely places an AI driver with your skills in an AI car whatever the race type or car style.

Drivatars are based on your driving style. If they were based on the contents of your garage or event types races you may never actually see your friends.

The system merely places an AI driver with your skills in an AI car whatever the race type or car style.

Yes, I know that it's not based on my garage; I guess I was surprised that it was a single profile regardless of the sort of car it chose for me. I generally drive lighter, grippier cars, so I can see how an open-wheel race car could be extrapolated from that, but would it dump me in a high-horsepower porker?

ElNino

Yes, I know that it's not based on my garage; I guess I was surprised that it was a single profile regardless of the sort of car it chose for me. I generally drive lighter, grippier cars, so I can see how an open-wheel race car could be extrapolated from that, but would it dump me in a high-horsepower porker?
My understanding is that it will become more accurate as you drive a larger variety of cars. I believe that is where the sync % comes from since I had been driving my 22B for an entire series and my Drivatar sync was around 10%, but as soon as I did a race in the Focus ST it jumped up to 13%.

p3tran

Banned

not only!
saladine posted in the photomode thread the other day a pic of my work-in-progress ruf (complete with my wip stickers), and my avatar was driving it in his game.
(I also had to ask him if my drivatar was any good, and..it was)
oh, yeah, also I have a couple of friends here in my city that are burned-out in mazda rx8's, and they keep popping in my games, along with their easy-target cars too :)

cool_dude

Banned
Been grinding for two weeks with the Acura Integra, just learning the tracks and saving money.

Last night, I bought the Audi R8 and raced it for the first time in Prague---WOW, that was some insane speed! I was literally on the edge of my seat trying to control the beast, and the racing opponents were no slouch either! I have Forza 4, but I was taken by surprised by how fast, smooth, exciting, and intense the racing is in Forza 5. Can't wait to go home and buy an even faster car!

I thought part of the hook with Drivatars was seeing your friend's cars and their liveries. Always thought that was a really nice touch.

Hows it all working? I get the impression its pretty promising so far.

RotBot

My understanding is that it will become more accurate as you drive a larger variety of cars. I believe that is where the sync % comes from since I had been driving my 22B for an entire series and my Drivatar sync was around 10%, but as soon as I did a race in the Focus ST it jumped up to 13%.

The overall sync should be based on the number of times you've raced a track layout. If you look at the drivatar stats in your profile, there is a sync % for each track layout. Once you've 100% a track, racing more on it probably doesn't increase your overall % anymore.

Top Bottom