• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

zorbsie

Sorry for the late notice fellas, but I can't make it to today's races. Can someone else set up the room in my absence? And let me know what the race results were so I can update the standings.

Sorry for the late notice fellas, but I can't make it to today's races. Can someone else set up the room in my absence? And let me know what the race results were so I can update the standings.

No problem.

If you want to race and only have Zorbs on your friends list, please add one of us.

p3tran

Banned
hehe first of all, he uploads a setup of a **different** car than the one he said he will use,
then he ...doesnt show up at all ? fishy :D

p3tran

Banned
get well soon soundscream!

here's the crappy ipad pic i took of the second race results

raceywulo.jpg

also, thanks to the guy who mentioned the chocolate stuff when in Spa. I'm still eating here :D

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
question for clutch users....

i just switched to trying to do this today and everything seemed fine, until i played career, specifically, p-class. I'm racing with an audi p class lemans prototype car and the fucker wont launch off the line using clutch. when the green light is signaled any gas i give the car results in a quick flash of rpm, then dies off suddenly to about zero. my only solution thus far is to immediately switch to 2nd gear, then back down to first WITHOUT the clutch, then i'm able to tear off the line... but as you can imagine, its a shitty way to start a race. is there something i'm doing wrong?

zorbsie

Sounds like some fun times were had. I don't know if I want to hear about the "chocolate" story though. Here are the standings after week 4. How were the cars this week? Should we keep them for next week too?

CrudeDiatribe 116
BIGT468 104
SoundScream13 86
P3tran 83
dead poul 75
Sp4ceman Sp1ff 74
Zorbs 65
Schuey F1 54
Soggy Naan 19
Muerte X 14
Sleep8 1
Munish Thiara 0

op_ivy

Sounds like some fun times were had. I don't know if I want to hear about the "chocolate" story though. Here are the standings after week 4. How were the cars this week? Should we keep them for next week too?

CrudeDiatribe 116
BIGT468 104
SoundScream13 86
P3tran 83
dead poul 75
Sp4ceman Sp1ff 74
Zorbs 65
Schuey F1 54
Soggy Naan 19
Muerte X 14
Sleep8 1
Munish Thiara 0

a suggestion...

how about a separate leader board for a time attack leading up to each event? would encourage people to race a fair amount before hand and allow those of us unlikely to make may events (eh hem) a chance to compete. maybe decide next race(s) and car(s) by monday and have sunday the deadline for times?

frontieruk

a suggestion...

how about a separate leader board for a time attack leading up to each event? would encourage people to race a fair amount before hand and allow those of us unlikely to make may events (eh hem) a chance to compete. maybe decide next race(s) and car(s) by monday and have sunday the deadline for times?

I've been pondering a rivals time trial type thing, as it was a popular event on another board I frequented during the forza 3 years.

jcutner

yey driver level 50. good lord, career is quite a grind.

i wish you could build some sort of dynamic career mode which better suits the kind of career you wish to pursue. i found myself constantly getting frustrated by the circuits always being the shortened version - and never getting the actual full courses to enjoy. i figured this was due to having slower cars, but once I progressed to the Le Mans GT, and Le Mans Prototypes, it'd unlock the full courses in regular career mode. Wrong! Still the same fucking short courses. Then I decided to poke around the Bonus races in Prototype, and what was there for me? The full La Sarthe circuit to race on in Career mode. For once, I was properly enjoying myself, having a full proper circuit to race on. Why on earth couldn't more of the races been like this in career. If there was an option to turn off the chase/overtake events, the digital stig and top gear bowling events in career, I'd be much happier.

Also, I pray to whatever god we pray to that we get SOME sort of 'Ring related news in February.

Hear this call Turn10.

Mascot

yey driver level 50. good lord, career is quite a grind.

i wish you could build some sort of dynamic career mode which better suits the kind of career you wish to pursue. i found myself constantly getting frustrated by the circuits always being the shortened version - and never getting the actual full courses to enjoy. i figured this was due to having slower cars, but once I progressed to the Le Mans GT, and Le Mans Prototypes, it'd unlock the full courses in regular career mode. Wrong! Still the same fucking short courses. Then I decided to poke around the Bonus races in Prototype, and what was there for me? The full La Sarthe circuit to race on in Career mode. For once, I was properly enjoying myself, having a full proper circuit to race on. Why on earth couldn't more of the races been like this in career. If there was an option to turn off the chase/overtake events, the digital stig and top gear bowling events in career, I'd be much happier.

While the return of the seemingly randomly-generated career is incredibly disappointing to hear about, just thank your lucky stars that things can never get as bad as LMP cars on Positano Short. How utterly ridiculous that was.

Also, I pray to whatever god we pray to that we get SOME sort of 'Ring related news in February.

Hear this call Turn10.

Hasn't that original article been totally debunked now? Do we know if the 'Ring is even on the cards?

The career is boring, it's not even a career mode, just a never ending series of short races.

I play it because they force me to buy and use cars I'd never usually bother with but T10 really could do with looking at how career modes used to be done, said before Sega tacked on far better shit than this back with Super Monaco GP. Rivals, teams, points and the risk of losing your seat or promotion. Chuck in qualifying (almost impossible to win cleanly between the short race and shitty drivatars) incorporate the livery editor and it'd be perfect.

i just switched to trying to do this today and everything seemed fine, until i played career, specifically, p-class. I'm racing with an audi p class lemans prototype car and the fucker wont launch off the line using clutch. when the green light is signaled any gas i give the car results in a quick flash of rpm, then dies off suddenly to about zero. my only solution thus far is to immediately switch to 2nd gear, then back down to first WITHOUT the clutch, then i'm able to tear off the line... but as you can imagine, its a shitty way to start a race. is there something i'm doing wrong?

Get your rpms @4k then tap the clutch twice

Revson

I'm a little confused by your problem, but you should just be bouncing off the rev limiter during the countdown and giving it full throttle off the line, getting the wheels to spin and keeping the car from bogging.

Mascot

The career is boring, it's not even a career mode, just a never ending series of short races.

I play it because they force me to buy and use cars I'd never usually bother with but T10 really could do with looking at how career modes used to be done, said before Sega tacked on far better shit than this back with Super Monaco GP. Rivals, teams, points and the risk of losing your seat or promotion. Chuck in qualifying (almost impossible to win cleanly between the short race and shitty drivatars) incorporate the livery editor and it'd be perfect.

I've never understood the thinking behind short 2-3 lap races. You barely have a chance to get your tyres warm.

Edit: heard anything from Helios yet?

op_ivy

Get your rpms @4k then tap the clutch twice

i'll try that. still, seems like a poor way to start.

I'm a little confused by your problem, but you should just be bouncing off the rev limiter during the countdown and giving it full throttle off the line, getting the wheels to spin and keeping the car from bogging.

i should be. i am with any other car i've used, but not the audi etron. i guess its a bug?

p3tran

Banned
op_ivy, try shortening the first gear ratio, and see if that helps your launch.
(speculating here, I will try this myself later today)

Got the game. Really enjoying it. Decided to be a VIP. Got it but not the cars. Got some other gifted cars but not the ones in the VIP pack. What gives?

You still have to buy those cars with ingame credits. VIP just unlocks them in the store.
That's not what it says. It says specifically - "VIP members receive 5 exclusive VIP cars"
Now maybe I'm being pedantic but received suggests you well, recieve them...that they're given to you. If they are simply unlocked then it should say so. Otherwise this is false advertising.
Also, they are there in the vanilla game.
Looks like I need to visit the help forums.

Edit: Just looked here Cheeky fuckers, you don't recieve them at all. You "rent" them! The info on the VIP dlc does not say these cars still need to be purchased and can only be "rented" in the meantime. That's pretty misleading. I guess this is a leftover of their shoddy launch monetization bullshit.

I guess this is a leftover of their shoddy launch monetization bullshit.

I think you're reading too much into it; this is the way it's worked in Forza long before you could purchase cars for your garage with real money instead of just play money. You, as a VIP, are able to purchase for your garage, with in-game currency (or real money if that's your thing) five cars that we, non-VIPs cannot, under any circumstances, drive.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I think you're reading too much into it; this is the way it's worked in Forza long before you could purchase cars for your garage with real money instead of just play money. You, as a VIP, are able to purchase for your garage, with in-game currency (or real money if that's your thing) five cars that we, non-VIPs cannot, under any circumstances, drive.

Yup

Probably bodes well for FM6, seeing as how Horizon had a day/night cycle, making its inclusion in FM5 a sure thing.

Oh wait.

In all seriousness, Horizon being as good as it was made for a most pleasant surprise. Other than the map becoming too familiar too quickly, I'd be hard presses to fault the game, and I expect the folks at Playground to achieve great things in the sequel.

Mascot

Probably bodes well for FM6, seeing as how Horizon had a day/night cycle, making its inclusion in FM5 a sure thing.

Oh wait.

In all seriousness, Horizon being as good as it was made for a most pleasant surprise. Other than the map becoming too familiar too quickly, I'd be hard presses to fault the game, and I expect the folks at Playground to achieve great things in the sequel.

I think there's been a subtle shift over the past couple of years. I fully expect Horizon 2 to not only review better than FM5, but also outsell it. I truly believe that Forza Motorsport needs a complete overhaul for the next iteration. The same old formula with a few more tracks might not be enough to keep fan's interest and attract new players.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So the Ferrari California can have the roof down in ForzaVista.

Are there any other cars that can have the roofs down, I know its a small feature, but i really do enjoy ForzaVista.

i tested the Mercedes SLK doesnt work, and i dont have the cash to keep buying every convertible.

I expect the folks at Playground to achieve great things in the sequel.

I enjoyed the driving and the longer point-to-point races, but the circuit races in Horizon were largely terrible.

I think there's been a subtle shift over the past couple of years. I fully expect Horizon 2 to not only review better than FM5, but also outsell it. I truly believe that Forza Motorsport needs a complete overhaul for the next iteration. The same old formula with a few more tracks might not be enough to keep fan's interest and attract new players.

I think you're right.

Are there any other cars that can have the roofs down, I know its a small feature, but i really do enjoy ForzaVista.

C3 Corvette can have the roof off.

EDIT: I'm out on Sunday, I have a charity board meeting at 2pm. Goddamn starving children.

The Forza 5 Smoking Tire Car pack!! Hellz ya!!

TRAILER!

Car List:
2013 Abarth Punto Supersport
2000 BMW Z8
1994 Nissan Fairlady Z Version S Twin Turbo
2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Ram Air
2011 Ferrari FF
1968 Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale
1966 Chevrolet Nova SS
2004 Maserati MC12
1992 Toyota Celica GT-Four ST185
1995 Audi RS 2 Avant

HeliosT10

The Forza 5 Smoking Tire Car pack!! Hellz ya!!

TRAILER!

Car List:
2013 Abarth Punto Supersport
2000 BMW Z8
1994 Nissan Fairlady Z Version S Twin Turbo
2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Ram Air
2011 Ferrari FF
1968 Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale
1966 Chevrolet Nova SS
2004 Maserati MC12
1992 Toyota Celica GT-Four ST185
1995 Audi RS 2 Avant

You're quick, beat me to it!

Feb's shaping up to be a good month for Forza 5 fans :)

Top Bottom