• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Its not silly at all, my favorite 10 or 50 cars are not the same as yours, many people lost lots of their favorite cars in the transition from Forza 4 to Forza 5. The point of having lots of cars its not people driving them all, its people finding their favorite cars no matter what they are into, exotics, muscles cars, djm, hatchbacks, rally, etc.

But there are a ton of cars I still haven't driven. Yes a favorite here or there might be gone but there is still enough because I only use like 50 at most.

Mascot

But there are a ton of cars I still haven't driven. Yes a favorite here or there might be gone but there is still enough because I only use like 50 at most.

I think I only ever really used about a dozen cars in FM4. I'm pretty sure I used all the tracks though. More than once, some of them.

zorbsie

Soundscream and Mascot nailed it. Give me more tracks and I'll give you more money. Giving me cars I had in the last game and making me pay for them is just not cutting it.

Mascot

Soundscream and Mascot nailed it. Give me more tracks and I'll give you more money. Giving me cars I had in the last game and making me pay for them is just not cutting it.

This is a universal truth acknowledged by everybody except Dan, it seems.

Can't believe we've heard nothing on the shifter and pedals since the announcement, a small company like Fanatec gets a pass because R&D is expensive and TM already had a shifter base in the TH8, it was their choice to fuck us over and make it incompatible.

Druggy, just wanted to point you to Basher's Fanatec-to-TM pedal adapter. You may have already seen it, but I myself just noticed on his site.

http://www.basherboards.com/node/26

Afro

is there some type of glitch with the "gone viral" achievement? it says people have downloaded my photo/s 100 times, but when I view them in my gallery they say 0 views.

shandy706

Just saw the free Honda pack. Will download tonight.

I noticed the ring being mentioned above. Are there rumors it or an announcement is coming soon?

Spades

Everyone is welcome to join us on Sunday at 2:00pm EST.

I would love to join the league if there is room. I've been looking for a league to join for a while - something not too serious but good, clean racing. My tag is Block Mate and I'm on the XboxGAF friends list as well.

Just saw the free Honda pack. Will download tonight.

Worth it for the Mugen CRX alone. Awesome car!

I think I only ever really used about a dozen cars in FM4. I'm pretty sure I used all the tracks though. More than once, some of them.

Both are important and there no reason why more cars means less tracks, they are made by different artists.
Forza needs more tracks, but it doesn't need less cars.

Pollux

Picked this up today off the gamestop trade in deal....and I fucking love it. Surprised considering I hated gran turismo 5. But this is great. Hopefully I'll join y'all some Sunday, but not yet. I'm still driving on easy haha

Picked this up today off the gamestop trade in deal....and I fucking love it. Surprised considering I hated gran turismo 5. But this is great. Hopefully I'll join y'all some Sunday, but not yet. I'm still driving on easy haha

Dont be embarrassed assist are great if you use them properly. When I first started with Forza I had the full driving line on and most of the assist. By 2 I was only using the breaking line. For 3 I turned off the line and removed traction control. When 4 came out I was off all assist and switched to manual, and eventually manual with clutch. So now I'm completely assist free. And that's the best way to play, each car becomes it's own little mini game. Trying to figure out how to get the most out of each car becomes a challenge.

p3tran

Banned
:lol

Between his forays into BF, COD, and now potentially NFS, one has to wonder just where, exactly, our favorite Greek's loyalties lie. Although perhaps it's for the best, given that the only shot I have at catching p3tran in the standings is if he's MIA playing something else.

Viper ACRs for Sunday is a great choice. I'm not really into upgrading so I appreciate a good stock-only race.

hey spaceman, last thing you want to do is question where my gaming loyalty is.
its where the fun is. and to put this in numbers:
forza 5, level 325,
nfs rivals, level 25
and the shooters? I guess i have a little bit of ..dudebro in me, too :D

:)

Those 'Drivatars' are absolutely psychotic. Trying to get through a race without getting whacked is near impossible. Had a few great ones mind you, where I just slid through the pack nice and easy. But damn, they can be lunatics. I guess that's to be expected if their data is taken from players.

Hmm, the CTR2 is rear wheel drive for some reason. Looks like I'll have to do a drivetrain swap on it.

Enjoying the game immensely. Level 103 in a little over a week.

Those 'Drivatars' are absolutely psychotic. Trying to get through a race without getting whacked is near impossible. Had a few great ones mind you, where I just slid through the pack nice and easy. But damn, they can be lunatics. I guess that's to be expected if their data is taken from players.

I'm thinking T10 are using drivatars as an excuse for lousy and aggressive AI, don't blame us...blame your friends driving.

F4 were bad but these are on another level, can't recall a single clean race against them unless I'm way up front at the start on free play. I'm sure they are the reason rewind cannot be disabled.

FWIW, I have had great races with Drivatars set to unbeatable. Very little terribleness. I'm only level 40, so maybe it's just a matter of time, but I am really happy with how well they work.

Mascot

I'm thinking T10 are using drivatars as an excuse for lousy and aggressive AI, don't blame us...blame your friends driving.

F4 were bad but these are on another level, can't recall a single clean race against them unless I'm way up front at the start on free play. I'm sure they are the reason rewind cannot be disabled.

Would you prefer FM4 AI instead of FM5 Drivatars?

Fuck that, FM4's AI was abysmal. Their poor driving just wasn't as apparent since you rarely weren't in the lead by the end of the first lap. If nothing else, at least FM5's AI can make it a race until the end.

Pro or Unbeatable Drivatars generally give me a good race, although on some days they are certainly more aggressive than others. In closely-spaced groups, they tend to do more rubbing than racing, but in small packs or one-on-one, they're some of the better AI opponents I've come across. Shift 2 was my previous benchmark for good racing AI, and FM5's, (when they mind their manners), are right up there.

More than the behavior of the Drivatars themselves, I think the problem is that the short 2-3 lap races force you to be more reckless than you may like as you battle to get up front, and the traffic can seem to mirror your aggression up close. Staying patient and letting the race come to you, as hard as that can be in these short sprints, tends to provide more enjoyable competition.

hey spaceman, last thing you want to do is question where my gaming loyalty is.
its where the fun is. and to put this in numbers:
forza 5, level 325,
nfs rivals, level 25
and the shooters? I guess i have a little bit of ..dudebro in me, too :D

:)

A lowly 211 here. Serves me right for trying to take a cheap shot. :(

I've only completed like 10 or 15 series in the career leagues. The grind in FM5 is particularly harsh, and even as someone who has completed every single event in every single Forza, I'm finding little motivation to continue. Most of my driving has been in Rivals, where the limited track roster and poor career design aren't as big a deal and the superb driving model is front and center.

How have you been enjoying NFS Rivals, by the way? I had a lot of fun playing the last Hot Pursuit at a buddy's, but wasn't a fan of Most Wanted. Is Rivals closer to the former or latter?

Maybe.

Forza 4's are slower, a little more scripted but not nearly as aggressive. F5's drivatars aren't so bad once they spread out a little but they will happily plough straight in the back of my car, brake for no reason, lean on me and ram when making a clean pass. That's no fun when you only have 2 or 3 laps to catch the leader.

It feels a lot like a bad day's racing online.

Don't think they suffer mechanical damage either.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
FWIW, I have had great races with Drivatars set to unbeatable. Very little terribleness. I'm only level 40, so maybe it's just a matter of time, but I am really happy with how well they work.

i call BS on turn 1 of Le Mans. Its a rare occurrence i get through that chicane without cursing like a mad man and rewinding over and over again - especially in the more fragile cars.

still, despite flaws, forza 5's AI is a huge improvement. for the most part, they feel quite excellent to race against. as pointed out above, most of the flaws wouldnt be as big a deal if t10 gave us more then 2-3 laps to get to a podium position.

p3tran

Banned
-positive experience with drivatars too, but not sure its what I expected. I basically expected a carbon copy of me in your game. I dont think its that, but what it is, its much better than what we had before. I always race on unbeatable too, and they are not unbeatable i can tell you. you can both pass them, and throw them out of tarmac if you want to :)

-about career grind etc, why not try to just get the car you just bought, oem and all, and jump for some free racing? you get to pick the track and laps, and the AI, it chooses for opponents oem cars that are around your car's oem power levels.
always makes a good race. pays too.

I never finished all the career races in f4, and I knew I wouldnt one week in the game :) these ones, I think I might be finishing them all. but taking my time.

-about nfs rivals.. what to say.. I like racing games, and this is not the worst nfs by any chance :)
there is enjoyment to be had, trying out the cars, running around the nfs world, from mountain with glacy roads, to american highway in the desert style. handling is arcade total but works, and graphics are fine until you reach the higher levels of the game, where framerate is hit when big chases with the best cars etc happen.
when playing with other players in the world, lately many times it kicks me to desktop, especially if people that tend to talk a lot leave or change etc. strangely, and probably by chance, when with silent people, the crash to desktop almost never happens. :)
overall, I guess I would suggest it both to a casual dude and a racing dude for differenet reasons. in your case, I think a temporary change of pace from f5 will benefit you more.
IF you decide to get it, let me know and we make some highway patrols crushing any fools that dare to think about ...traveling on our roads! ;D
(also I can see where all these people that play forza ..rivals online , are coming from :D )

ps
YO BADNED!! ANY GOOD NOOZ FOR US MY MAN?
anything nice going to happen after microsoft rolls the OS update?

Pollux

Dont be embarrassed assist are great if you use them properly. When I first started with Forza I had the full driving line on and most of the assist. By 2 I was only using the breaking line. For 3 I turned off the line and removed traction control. When 4 came out I was off all assist and switched to manual, and eventually manual with clutch. So now I'm completely assist free. And that's the best way to play, each car becomes it's own little mini game. Trying to figure out how to get the most out of each car becomes a challenge.

Yeah. I'm going to do a couple more series on easy mode before I raise the difficulty level since this is really the first driving game that I've been able to get into and enjoy.

Although, I'm currently getting gold on the first try on almost every race I try so I should probably raise the difficulty level sooner rather than later.

Yeah. I'm going to do a couple more series on easy mode before I raise the difficulty level since this is really the first driving game that I've been able to get into and enjoy.

Although, I'm currently getting gold on the first try on almost every race I try so I should probably raise the difficulty level sooner rather than later.

Plus you get more

136814057.GUeERtFf.money.gif

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I've been annoyed at some of the blind praise being heaped on "Drivatars" by the press and some fans. Just because it has someone's name above it doesn't truly prove it's accurately mimicking their driving style.

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I've been annoyed at some of the blind praise being heaped on "Drivatars" by the press and some fans. Just because it has someone's name above it doesn't truly prove it's accurately mimicking their driving style.

Having driven with some Gaffers IRL I would argue that their drivatars behave very similar. Especially at the harder difficulty drivitars are good for the most part.

Mascot

Sounds like Drivatars might need a little tweaking before FM6, which is only to be expected I guess. There's no arguing with the overall concept though. It's a brilliant idea.

Seanspeed

Banned
Sounds like Drivatars are *exactly* like I predicted they would be. Its essentially still the computer AI, but with certain behaviors awkwardly integrated into that to try and make some sort of more unique driving behaviour. It makes little difference to the competitiveness of a car and simply affects how aggressive a car is on a scale from mean-to-lethal.

Seanspeed

Banned
Incorrect! It is of course an AI, but it isn't the FM2-4 AI that we hate. No more random mid-corner breaking, for instance.
Well that's certainly an improvement! lol

But I've seen videos, man. I've seent em. Aint no hiding how horrible they can be. The AI used to be lousy but predictable and now its just psychotic and unpredictable. I cant really say its an improvement, although I'm sure it feels fresh and like nothing else.

Drivatars are entertaining to watch as you race and occasionally pull off nice moves but they really need to be given a greater sense of self preservation. Not once did I rewind in F4 but I have here (sometimes by accident as it's mapped next door to the rear view button)

Just tried without any assists on....my God, how do y'all do this. First turn and I'm 60 feet off the track spinning out.

What car are you using?

Start out at the bottom with the lower class stuff and get a feel for the car/track, brake earlier and gently in a straight line and listen to the tyre noises.

Just tried without any assists on....my God, how do y'all do this. First turn and I'm 60 feet off the track spinning out.

Well I said slowly remove assist one at a time :p

But first things first don't use a crazy high powered car, and go slow until you feel like you are in control of the car at all times.

Incorrect! It is of course an AI, but it isn't the FM2-4 AI that we hate. No more random mid-corner breaking, for instance.

Hmmm, you are playing a different FM5 to the one I am. They are even randomly breaking mid-straight! This is on the hardest difficulty by the way.

I have lost count of how many times I have rewound on this version of the game. By the way, does anyone know a way to force your friends to appear as drivatars. Have plenty of friends playing this game on a regular basis. but I get maybe 2-3 friends appear as drivatars, the rest are always randoms no matter what difficulty I mess around with on an attempt to get my friends drivatars up.

Redshirt

Banned
By the way, does anyone know a way to force your friends to appear as drivatars. Have plenty of friends playing this game on a regular basis. but I get maybe 2-3 friends appear as drivatars, the rest are always randoms no matter what difficulty I mess around with on an attempt to get my friends drivatars up.

I think it's intentional, and I'm not sure there's any way around it.

Forza certainly needs more control in this regard. I'd like the option to set friend count and to star the friends that the system can choose from.

Hmmm, you are playing a different FM5 to the one I am. They are even randomly breaking mid-straight! This is on the hardest difficulty by the way.

When I said 'randomly' I meant was 'every goddamn time, for no apparent reason so appearing to be irrational and poorly programmed'.

Yes, there is some bizarre, more random-seeming braking, though usually in the form of brake-checking. The pool of drivatars I've been given doesn't do that much (though I have seen it).

I usually have 5 friends in a race. Does their ability have anything to do with which difficulties their drivatars are placed in?

Redshirt

Banned
I usually have 5 friends in a race. Does their ability have anything to do with which difficulties their drivatars are placed in?

I don't think so. I have my drivatar skill set to expert (35%) and Major Nelson still shows up even though he hasn't even played Forza since launch.

Top Bottom