• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freddie Gray case: Charges against three remaining officers dropped - WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a wrap folks! Finito!

750x422

Prosecutors dropped all remaining charges against three Baltimore police officers accused in the arrest and death of Freddie Gray in a downtown courtroom on Wednesday morning, concluding one of the most high-profile criminal cases in Baltimore history.

The startling move was an apparent acknowledgement of the unlikelihood of a conviction following the acquittals of three other officers on similar and more serious charges by Circuit Judge Barry G. Williams, who was expected to preside over the remaining trials as well.

It also means the office of Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby will secure no convictions in the case after more than a year of dogged fighting, against increasingly heavy odds, to hold someone criminally accountable in Gray's death.

Officer William Porter's trial ended with a hung jury and a mistrial in December, before Williams acquitted Officers Edward Nero and Caesar Goodson and Lt. Brian Rice at bench trials in May, June, and July, respectively.

In a hearing Wednesday meant to start the trial of Officer Garrett Miller, Chief Deputy State's Attorney Michael Schatzow told Williams that the state was dropping all charges against Miller, Porter and Sgt. Alicia White.

Porter had been scheduled to be retried in September, and White had been scheduled to be tried in October.

"All of our clients are thrilled with what happened today, and we'll be making a comment later to address the details of what happened," said Catherine Flynn, Miller's attorney, outside the courthouse.

Mosby is scheduled to hold a news conference at 10:30 a.m. in West Baltimore.

Gray, 25, suffered severe spinal cord injuries in the back of the van in April 2015 and died a week after his arrest. His death sparked widespread, peaceful protests against police brutality, and his funeral was followed by rioting, looting and arson.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...i-miller-pretrial-motions-20160727-story.html

Unbelievable, Maryland, Baltimore wont take this quietly, welp

From a legal stand point, after the first three "strongest" cases did not result in convictions, this doesn't surprise me the attorney general's office dropped the charges. In their minds it would be a waste of time and taxpayer's dollars.

Not surprising, they knew that these criminals weren't going to get convicted. Judges will do everything in their power to make sure they never see a cell.

Cyrillus

All lives matter guys!

I mean, not the lives of those killed by police officers, but the rest of them matter. Unless they don't explicitly follow an officer's directions, no matter how contradictory. Or if I feel unsafe. Or it's Wednesday.

I want to be disgusted and shocked and say that this is unfucking believable. But I can't, I am disgusted because this is exactly what I expected to happen and its fucking foul.

This news coming after Kinsey'a shooting is going to trigger something. Maybe more police shootings, maybe riots, I don't know what. but something is going to happen. People will snap because this can't keep happening and people can't keep getting away with it.

Guevara

As I recall, at least part of this is because city prosecutors fucked up and over-reached.

(obviously that's not the only issue!)

A little context for non Yanks?

The article doesnt mention much aside from his injuries. Did they beat him to death for some reason?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So whoever burned down the CVS will do more time than the pieces of shit who murdered Freddie Gray? Fuck the police. Fuck our shitty criminal justice system. And a pre-emptive fuck you to anyone who thinks this means his death is "justified" or cheers on this decision.

A homicide with no killer.

Mosby will get destroyed for this, but lets not act like her case wasn't sabotaged from the start.

As for the city of Baltimore... Whatever happens is deserved.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The system is completely and utterly fucked

As I recall, at least part of this is because city prosecutors fucked up and over-reached.

(obviously that's not the only issue!)

People were telling her from the start that she was overreaching and being too emotional about the case at hand. Most legal experts saw this case & the evidence and knew there was no way they were going to be able to prove this stuff beyond a reasonable doubt.

So if I'm reading the article correctly, the whole thing comes down to there being no regulations or training for the police to put a suspect in a seatbelt, so no foul? What about everything that happened after the injury?

rjinaz

Not really sure why they bother going through the facade of the legal system. Just announce they are not guilty as soon as it happens because they are officers and fuck minorities.

Kill3r7

From a legal stand point, after the first three "strongest" cases did not result in convictions, this doesn't surprise me the attorney general's office dropped the charges. In their minds it would be a waste of time and taxpayer's dollars.

Ditto. After the first three cases this was inevitable. Same judge, presiding over the same cases, listening to the same set of facts.

Guevara

People were telling her from the start that she was overreaching and being too emotional about the case at hand. Most legal experts saw this case & the evidence and knew there was no way they were going to be able to prove this stuff beyond a reasonable doubt.

I'm a little sympathetic: if she had softballed the charges, that would look bad too. Even with a conviction or two.

Still, this has to be the worst outcome (for the city, and for her career personally).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom