• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

Ok the game is pretty bad ass, some great depth to the combat, the music and atmosphere are spot on...haven't put it down since I started playing

Flunkie

Banned
The more I play this game the more I like it. It was the last fight of CODE 2 that pretty much sucked me in. I liked the game until then, but during that fight it all just clicked. Played for a good bunch of hours, and finally got myself quick travel too, this right here made the game a lot better inside the Panopticon.

That did it for me too. That battle was the most epic thing, I think partly because they depraved us of any combat for a long time, then BAM, awesomness.

Mailbox

i'm gonna be quite honest, the only thing i don't like about this game so far (that is a big problem at least) is the melee combat. its far too stiff and slow for me. Luckily i'm maining guns/ ranged weapons which are pretty ace.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
i'm gonna be quite honest, the only thing i don't like about this game so far (that is a big problem at least) is the melee combat. its far too stiff and slow for me. Luckily i'm maining guns/ ranged weapons which are pretty ace.

the problems is there was no real thought put into the attack animations therefore does not jive too well with the game itself. they went for flash over actual practicality.

does not help too that the monsters general design and attack patterns dont leave them to be melee combat friendly. when they are knocked on their ass doesnt count.

the problems is there was no real thought put into the attack animations therefore does not jive too well with the game itself. they went for flash over actual practicality.

does not help too that the monsters general design and attack patterns dont leave them to be melee combat friendly. when they are knocked on their ass doesnt count.

Yup. I may miss what I am hitting half the time, but damn if I don't look cool doing so.

Also, the sprinter control scheme really is the best imo.

Parakeetman

Yup. I may miss what I am hitting half the time, but damn if I don't look cool doing so.

Also, the sprinter control scheme really is the best imo.

the charge attacks are mostly worthless unless abductor is knocked down and you can do more damage other ways.

endgame missions you really dont want to get close to the abductors outside of latching onto them, due to the amount of damage that can be taken. with that being said really drives the player away from using melee weapons.

where as in god eater for example melee or ranged are both viable solutions regardless of early or late game contents.

Seil

As far as controls go, I used Technical for a while, but I've gone back to the default. I prefer being able to aim the Ibara regardless of what weapon I'm using and without some claw-like grip.

If I go on let's say Toukiden, I automatically know that the R is used to dash. Weird how the brain works, I tried using the layout with the dashing on R with FW, and it just didn't work for me. To me, since this game just legit feels like a shooter, I automatically try to reload with the square button, and aim and shoot with the L/R hence why I use Marksman.

Flunkie

Banned
Seems like everyone has their own favorite, so it's good the game has multiple, diverse options for various playstyles/preferences.

Hm i'm still using the default control scheme i got used to it after like the first 2-3 hours. This is definately the most fun im having so far with my vita since last year when i got it with P4G.

Parakeetman

seeing how coop centric gaf is had a feeling this would go well with those who picked it up and nice to see everyone having a good time so far!

As far as controls go, I used Technical for a while, but I've gone back to the default. I prefer being able to aim the Ibara regardless of what weapon I'm using and without some claw-like grip.

yeah the general design of the vita does not allow for a comfortable claw grip unlike the psp esp on the og vita with its slightly increased weight over the 2k series

So I nearly bought this game in Gamestop today without knowing anything about it and the backs of the Vita boxes are so small with only 1/3 of it for game details. Whats the best kind of game to compare it to in gameplay style?

Parakeetman

So I nearly bought this game in Gamestop today without knowing anything about it and the backs of the Vita boxes are so small with only 1/3 of it for game details. Whats the best kind of game to compare it to in gameplay style?

up to 4 player coop tps action that also has a sp story. but there is parts collecting similar to other games in the hunting genre.

title can be played solo or coop no problem.

try watch the vids easier to see for yourself as hard to explain everything

oh yeah there is a pvp mode too. pretty unique title despite the flaws and most def will get your $$$ worth at 30 usd

It's an old school third person shooter (pre-Gears) structured like a hunting RPG (MonHun or Soul Sacrifice) with an awesome grappling hook and very in depth melee for a shooter, all with a heavy multiplayer focus.

I think you'd be better off watching a gameplay video... But idk you have Attack on Titan swinging, TPS similar in feel to Lost Planet, along with the hunting game tropes that you can find in games like Toukiden or Soul Sacrifice (kill enemies/big boss enemy, collect resources, all in a fairly large map). You have co-op and PvP elements to the game.

All in all, it's like a mix of stuff that you've seen, but unlike any other game specifically.

I knew I could watch Gameplay videos, but I thought I'd ask the fans what it sounded like before I saw actual content. It sounds like an awesome game that would be great to add to my collection, I'll defiantly pick it up tomorrow.

Parakeetman

I knew I could watch Gameplay videos, but I thought I'd ask the fans what it sounded like before I saw actual content. It sounds like an awesome game that would be great to add to my collection, I'll defiantly pick it up tomorrow.

the thing is its a lot faster to watch it yourself otherwise too much text to take in lol

It's really fun although the world building is a bit slow at first. Once you finish the second "CODE" in the game, you get more missions with more variety, you are able to fast travel between points, etc. The game opens up quite a lot.

Also worth mentioning is that this game has a story, that although some that already played the game say isn't anything to write home about, I am enjoying quite thoroughly. Unlike many hunting games, there is actually a big focus on story here.

Parakeetman

the thing is its a lot faster to watch it yourself otherwise too much text to take in lol
dont forget to subscribe to the thread since on the first page is the gaf coop user list which you can take part in though forgot what the prereq was.

Mailbox

Using technical since it was the only one where square was reload and R is shoot.
A lil hard to change thorn buttons depending on weapon type, but meh it works.

The reason why I like Sprinter so much is because it lets me control the camera and sprint at the same time like in other games of this genre. Great for re-positioning myself and I don't really miss having Thorn on R, I seem to be able to aim it fine moving between Circle and the analog stick.

The only thing that messes me up sometimes is item usage. It seems you have to stop completely for a second or two before you can use an item because it's R + Circle. But sometimes I'll be sprinting and use my thorn but get an item used instead. I assume it's an input issue that I'll have to iron out.

For ranged weapons I use L for aiming mode then R to shoot.

Parakeetman

one thing about controls is folks wont to worry about "what if i cant use my ibara right away?" it wont matter anyways as the delay with firing it makes it not a viable last second evasive maneuver. you need a bit of space between you and the target. roll is equally useless so dont try the same you do in other hunting titles lol

also missiles shoot them down dont try to run from them the homing will follow you forever as long as it has a path and can turn on a dime. if you cant shoot it down try to get it to ram into an object.

ive tested this and the shit will literally turn 90 degrees.

Dsyndrome

My rap sheet:
jAX4Hc0.jpg

Not very far, plan to play watching to make a lot of headway watching college football this weekend.

Hikami

Just got to CODE 4, the exam for that was pretty tough. Guess I need to start upgrading soon.

Ahem.
best girl accessory coming through
89679a19c5.jpg

sensui-tomo

wish ad-hoc party would work for this game, i lent my friend my vita since i have a vita tv and bought this game digitally, but yeah that didnt work out, he's thinking of buying this game since its on the cheap and lend him the vita in the long run. Love this game so far, just got to code 3.

wish ad-hoc party would work for this game, i lent my friend my vita since i have a vita tv and bought this game digitally, but yeah that didnt work out, he's thinking of buying this game since its on the cheap and lend him the vita in the long run. Love this game so far, just got to code 3.

What do you mean? Ad-hoc from vita to vita tv should work fine.

Illucio

Banned
Just reached Code 5, so I feel like I should update everyone on how the game is going for me so far.

- The story is very subpar and I have no idea what's going on half the time other then a resistance group is keep fighting Panopticons for what I believe is freedom? I think... After during Code 2 missions I have been completely unsatisfied with the story. I think someone died, but I'm keep being told I can go back in time to save that person again.... Whatever.

- The game needed an English Dub badly, I'm regularly watch Subbed Anime, but watching a lot of the cut-scenes is very painful, the Japanese voice acting is that great to begin with.

- Character customization is bloody awesome, I'm addicted to making new outfits for my characters every 30 minutes. I just wish there was more outfits to choose from right now, everything a guy gets after Code 3 is bulky stuffed military looking gear. :/

- Around Code 4 you will really begin to start upgrading weapons and finding even more weapon types to choose from. A huge evolution from the beginning of the game, and it's absolutely beautiful. I actually feel motivated to go back to older missions to get more parts to upgrade my weapons and get those thingamajigs that act as passive abilities. I feel like I have even more options for weapons and upgrading then Monster Hunter. (I'm not cheating on you Monster Hunter, honest! I'm just waiting for 4 to come out!)

- The gameplay does get much smoother and more action packed as you keep playing. Getting better equipment helps a lot in this sense as everything has different speeds, the Vine becomes even more interesting and proves that it's a great gameplay mechanic, and that you should worship it and feel like a soldier from Attack on Titan. xD I hope this game gets a sequel and they put a huge amount of effort of adding even more things to do with the vine because it really is one of the most fun mechanics in the game.
Oh and to allow us to have a longer grab reach and to be able to grab onto all the buildings without restrictions. That would be beautiful.

- I'm still amazed on the Graphics, it's so bright, colorful, fluent, and precise. This game puts other games with similar art styles on the PS3 to shame. I forgot just how good Handheld games could look until I started playing this game again. (Sorry Nintendo, Sony has you beat in this department.)

But overall I'm still disappointed on how slow it's taking to kill off that 1,000,000 year sentence though. I've only killed about 60,000 years of it, and I still have another 940,000 to go! I have a feeling that End Game will be grinding that to 0. So I hope we get a ton of DLC to give us new content to enjoy so we can grind more.

Again the story is really boring to read (Y U NO HAVE IT?) and it really makes the game less enjoyable because they keep adding obstacles and layers of text in between amazing game-play. I get super annoyed when I have to leave a awesome online session just to unlock the other missions so I can come back to find another group of people just to play the next CODE missions.

I'm still giving this a solid 8/10, and I don't think it will be moving from this spot anytime soon.

baekshi

Banned

This should work....how doesnt it?

mstevens

Can anyone tell what the difficulty of the plat is going to be for this one? I'm thinking about picking it up either way, just curious.

Parakeetman

This should work....how doesnt it?

adhoc party is a broken unsupported forgotten pos...

which is unfortunate since woukd be great if it did work. sony should have picked up the xlink kai folks when they had the chance back in the psp days

Just reached Code 5, so I feel like I should update everyone on how the game is going for me so far.

I think someone died, but I'm keep being told I can go back in time to save that person again.... Whatever.

But overall I'm still disappointed on how slow it's taking to kill off that 1,000,000 year sentence though. I've only killed about 60,000 years of it, and I still have another 940,000 to go! I have a feeling that End Game will be grinding that to 0. So I hope we

There's no going back in time.
Unless you're talking about Simon.
I don't think that's canon. If it is, then it's bullshit.

Vast majority people in the JP version got still had 900,000 by the time they finished the story.

Illucio

Banned
Can anyone tell what the difficulty of the plat is going to be for this one? I'm thinking about picking it up either way, just curious.

One of the trophies is probably to get your sentence down to 0.

After a good 20 hours, I'm not even done with the main quest, and by my calculations (and information I learned from people who bought the Japanese version of the game) my sentence will be around 900,000 years after I finish the main quest. So a good 200-400 hours of grinding I would say.

baekshi

Banned
adhoc party is a broken unsupported forgotten pos...

which is unfortunate since woukd be great if it did work. sony should have picked up the xlink kai folks when they had the chance back in the psp days
Oh thought he was talking ad hoc in general... why is there a need of ad hoc party when in game ad hoc works and there is online?

Ad-hoc works, ad-hoc Party app from ps3 does not, we tried it and no go.

Why do this?

Seil

Ad-hoc works, ad-hoc Party app from ps3 does not, we tried it and no go.

Wasn't the purpose of ad-hoc party to add online capabilities to games that were ad-hoc only? Freedom Wars has an actual online mode, so why bother with ad-hoc party? Am I missing something?

mstevens

One of the trophies is probably to get your sentence down to 0.

After a good 20 hours, I'm not even done with the main quest, and by my calculations (and information I learned from people who bought the Japanese version of the game) my sentence will be around 900,000 years after I finish the main quest. So a good 200-400 hours of grinding I would say.

Trophy list only has < 500k.

I'm more worried about gameplay difficulty than grinding length. I have a pretty high grind tolerance.

sensui-tomo

I was trying to use my psV and psTV to play the same game, ie my friend borrowing my psv with digital Freedom wars and my psTV with digital Freedom wars under my same account... i didnt double dip lol. otherwise it would have been easy. I dont think i can play online with my same account on two different platforms. Ad-hoc works with this, which is why i was trying to do that but alas there is no option unless i have a japanese account with my smartphone to get some weird app that does this (yes there is an ad-hoc party app for smartphones exclusively for vita, for use of Toukiden, SSD,and freedom wars + some other stuff.

I'm on Code 5 now.

Upgraded this M something heavy weapon that looks like a giant cinder block. It actually does the most damage out of anything I have at the moment and it staggers Abductors pretty frequently.

That might be due to some modules I put on it but I forgot what they were 5 minutes after I did it.

Top Bottom