• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

nampad

I totally agree, the game isn't the next coming of Jesus, but damn if it isn't fun. The very last fight of CODE 2 was what made it all click for me, as well as many other Gaffers. That's when shit gets real, so to speak aha. Let me know when you get there, and post your thoughts then.

Just got to Code 3 and still not really feeling it. I played a higher level operations online too and the bosses don't feel interesting so far. Don't really care for their patterns and just bullet sponge them.

The camera in this game is quite bad, which doesn't help with my overall impression at all. Bad camera is my pet peeve and the one in this game is just too close. The narrow level design in some places makes it even worse.

To be fair though, I still haven't played a lot of the actual game because of all the stupid fetch quests etc.

I'm starting to just skip the dialogue if it's just this character bullshit. I'm interested in the story but the characters are the most classic anime tropes imaginable.

I need more giant monsters to slay right NAOW

Just reached Code 5, so I feel like I should update everyone on how the game is going for me so far.

- The story is very subpar and I have no idea what's going on half the time other then a resistance group is keep fighting Panopticons for what I believe is freedom? I think... After during Code 2 missions I have been completely unsatisfied with the story. I think someone died, but I'm keep being told I can go back in time to save that person again.... Whatever.

Thanks for the spoiler /sarcasm.

Korten

Banned
What do you guys think of my character thus far? :)

cUgb.jpg

Seil

I still don't really have any idea what I should be keeping out of the red stuff. Are these good for anything?

Oh and what do the colors mean?

The color of the icon corresponds with the rarity. Gray = 1, Brown = 2/3, Blue/Purple = 4/5, Yellow = 6/7 and White = 8

As for what to keep, that's up to you really. I didn't keep anything outside of my allowed range, not that the penalty is really that bad lol. You may want to keep some Weapon Components(used in modding to influence what modules you get) or special parts like S-Type/T-Type parts(used for weapon upgrades into elemental versions). I'm at CODE 8 now, trying to figure out how best to go about weapon modding x.x

Edit: Ugh, I'm really at a loss on this part of modding x.x I got a rarity 8 Damascus Knife with 177 power. The cut-off for this tier is 180, so theoretically I should be able to hit 180 by modding it, but only my first attempt saw it increase and only by 1. I've modded it numerous times since and it's still at 178. So I'm stuck wondering whether I should just go on and start upgrading it or if I'm missing something to get it to go to 180 >.<

Edit2: Well, that last upgrade appears to have worked. Still not sure why though lol. On to the next step!

Oh man this is so good so far. My friend and I did some raids on Lima last night till my battery died. This will definitely be the game that holds me over till MH4U comes in. The only thing I dislike is how the story progression is paced, its killing the pace of the missions. I'm just ready for another mission for new items to upgrade my items and then I have to go through 3 loads, some dialog, then 2 more loads.

So far my only complaints are story pacing and the repetitiveness.

Gaz_RB

Oh man this is so good so far. My friend and I did some raids on Lima last night till my battery died. This will definitely be the game that holds me over till MH4U comes in. The only thing I dislike is how the story progression is paced, its killing the pace of the missions. I'm just ready for another mission for new items to upgrade my items and then I have to go through 3 loads, some dialog, then 2 more loads.

So far my only complaints are story pacing and the repetitiveness.

Yup. Wish there was a way to just play only the missions. The story should be way more understated, IMO.

I keep wanting to pick it up and play a quick mission, but then I remember I have to go talk to Dickweed for 15 minutes to learn about some bullshit before I'm allowed to do a new mission(which are a blast).

Yup. Wish there was a way to just play only the missions. The story should be way more understated, IMO.

I keep wanting to pick it up and play a quick mission, but then I remember I have to go talk to Dickweed for 15 minutes to learn about some bullshit before I'm allowed to do a new mission(which are a blast).

I do enjoy the story somewhat because it does explain the world you're playing in. I'm still confused on some current events. I just wish it wasn't shoved in my face as much. I do understand talking to someone to advanced a story but it shouldn't be after every mission. Along with that having to run through 3 cell blocks to get to an area. Thank gosh they added the teleport!

I want to do the same because of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I would go kill something, cut a tail off and close it and going back to some tasks at hand. lol

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."

Just jump into someone else's lobby. You can play all the missions you want and skip the cutscenes.

Pacing is something that I think GEB did well as far as story is concerned. Usually you get a story event then a main mission to complete and a bunch of optional missions to do.

So far I sometimes get 2 optional missions but for the most part every mission is preceded and followed by story then another story mission.

I'm only on Code 5 though so it's possible that it opens up more in the higher CODE levels.

Seil

Pacing is something that I think GEB did well as far as story is concerned. Usually you get a story event then a main mission to complete and a bunch of optional missions to do.

So far I sometimes get 2 optional missions but for the most part every mission is preceded and followed by story then another story mission.

I'm only on Code 5 though so it's possible that it opens up more in the higher CODE levels.

It doesn't lol. I think there's one or two instances where another main mission opens without some story stuff through the main story(past CODE 1 anyway). And the optional missions always seem to come one or two missions before the next CODE exam. That said, CODE 5 was when the pace and stuff in general started to feel better to me, but it still wasn't perfect or anything. I'm currently working on my weapons a bit before I try actually progressing in CODE 8.

I'm at Code 3 and every mission I've completed followed with a conversation with palate swapped World Ends With You guy (When I see him I think of that guy). I know with Code 1 and if I recall right code 2 I had more missions before a whole lot of conversations.

mstevens

So I'm going to buy this game in about an hour. I've read quite a bit about it, but I have one question.

I heard that you can easily increase your sentence (even by talking to certain NPCs, or by doing something innocent). Will that eventually stop? Or is it constantly taking two steps forward and one step back as far as getting rid of your sentence. I could see that being *really* annoying,

Seil

So I'm going to buy this game in about an hour. I've read quite a bit about it, but I have one question.

I heard that you can easily increase your sentence (even by talking to certain NPCs, or by doing something innocent). Will that eventually stop? Or is it constantly taking two steps forward and one step back as far as getting rid of your sentence. I could see that being *really* annoying,

The little things like that barely actually add to your sentence. But it does slow/stop, as you claim more rights.

It's more for the setting than anything and is actually fairly funny most of the time.

mstevens

The little things like that barely actually add to your sentence. But it does slow/stop, as you claim more rights.

It's more for the setting than anything and is actually fairly funny most of the time.

Ahhh okay.

That sounds great, then. Just didn't want it erasing chunks of progress during my playthrough.

Really excited to pick this up.

edit: Do you think I should I try to find a guide for this or go in blind? Mostly worried about missables.

Seil

Ahhh okay.

That sounds great, then. Just didn't want it erasing chunks of progress during my playthrough.

Really excited to pick this up.

edit: Do you think I should I try to find a guide for this or go in blind? Mostly worried about missables.

There are no missables so you're fine. It's a streamlined mission based game.

Seil

I still have no idea what this entitlement that grants permission to view a "sinner log" is =/ I have yet to locate this and it's bugging me.

Zafir

Lol... Remind me to not even bother doing anything besides the missions. I walked around the cell and got punished for excessive walking, then talking to the accessory caused me to be punished for attempting frivolous conversations.

Shengar

The problem is not story pacing I think. They are actually short, and you can mash X to go through since you won't understand shit of what they saying. It is the load screen. Yes, those horrible load screens that took almost 20 seconds. The worst offender in this case is when you have to infiltrate Cell Garden for the first time. Not only it was long, but it force you to walk/run through all those loading screens because you don't have quick-travel. If it not because the end mission of CODE 2 is awesome, that shit would drive me mad.

Strangely though, all of this makes you feel rewarded when someone give you a new mission lol.

Shiina

The problem is not story pacing I think. They are actually short, and you can mash X to go through since you won't understand shit of what they saying. It is the load screen. Yes, those horrible load screens that took almost 20 seconds. The worst offender in this case is when you have to infiltrate Cell Garden for the first time. Not only it was long, but it force you to walk/run through all those loading screens because you don't have quick-travel. If it not because the end mission of CODE 2 is awesome, that shit would drive me mad.

Strangely though, all of this makes you feel rewarded when someone give you a new mission lol.

Hah I felt the same. I was busy with some fetch quest when the red dominatrix appeared out of nowhere and gave me a new assignment. I was pretty glad.

I'm somewhere in CODE 4 now and I have to say that the story parts did get less tedious since the Cell Garden infiltration and since unlocking quick travel.

Apparently I just unlocked sub classing for weapons. What do you guys think about this gun and its sub types? Any types particularly useful or particularly bad?

This game is slaying me so hard
Vita saved imo
I have such an issue keeping motivated when playing vita games but this game has something that keeps me coming back.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hah I felt the same. I was busy with some fetch quest when the red dominatrix appeared out of nowhere and gave me a new assignment. I was pretty glad.

I'm somewhere in CODE 4 now and I have to say that the story parts did get less tedious since the Cell Garden infiltration and since unlocking quick travel.

Apparently I just unlocked sub classing for weapons. What do you guys think about this gun and its sub types? Any types particularly useful or particularly bad?

Thats the game breaking gun Barbara. Before with it maxed out a certain way you could literally kill the last boss within 49 seconds. Along with pretty much anything else. Latch onto target and fire away.

Info by the most famous JP player
http://game.girldoll.org/consumer/freedomwars/88360/

Spoilers in the vids within the link obviously. So consider that before clicking on the link above.

autoduelist

Only just started playing, done my second non-tutorial mission. Digging it so far I think?

No point in grinding early missions right? Just keep moving along? I made a stupid error in my second mission and got stomped on and had to use a life, so I didn't 6/6 it. That's killing my OCD so I almost want to go back and just redo it.

Caladrius

Just started code 3. Other than the rather heinous stretch in the first half of code 2 the game has been fairly enjoyable so far.

Wanted to ask 2 questions though:

1. Is there a guide to when entitlements unlock?
2. Any pictures/video of all the outfits and their styles?

Shengar

Thats the game breaking gun Barbara. Before with it maxed out a certain way you could literally kill the last boss within 49 seconds. Along with pretty much anything else. Latch onto target and fire away.
With normal rifle, small melee weapon, rocket launcher at accessories I finished the two optional missions pas 10 minutes mark. Then when I changed it to rarity 4 Barbara, the abductors tumbling down fast.

Barbara's Easy Blaster sounds like appropiate name lol

Seil

Only just started playing, done my second non-tutorial mission. Digging it so far I think?

No point in grinding early missions right? Just keep moving along? I made a stupid error in my second mission and got stomped on and had to use a life, so I didn't 6/6 it. That's killing my OCD so I almost want to go back and just redo it.

Sometimes early missions are useful for mats haha. I use one of the CODE 1 missions when I need Spent Shell Casings =p It takes like one minute to complete the mission so it's nice. More mats never hurt.

Even though it isn't perfect and it does have it's issues, it has managed to do something quite remarkable that no other October release managed to do, stop me from playing Destiny every goddamn night. I'm having fun, progressing slowly through the game I'm still on CODE 3. As an aside, I wish there was a way of checking how many hours you have in the game. I always like to see how many hours I've sunk into this type of games.

Seil

Even though it isn't perfect and it does have it's issues, it has managed to do something quite remarkable that no other October release managed to do, stop me from playing Destiny every goddamn night. I'm having fun, progressing slowly through the game I'm still on CODE 3. As an aside, I wish there was a way of checking how many hours you have in the game. I always like to see how many hours I've sunk into this type of games.

Check page 2 of your Rap Sheet =p

Shiina

Info by the most famous JP player
http://game.girldoll.org/consumer/freedomwars/88360/

Spoilers in the vids within the link obviously. So consider that before clicking on the link above.

Oh damn I didn't know. Those stats on it are pretty ridiculous but I can only imagine how long it took to farm all of that.

Hikami

Does anyone use the Shielding Thorn loadout?
I can't really find a good use for it. The defense buff is nice but, I don't know when would be a good situation to use the wall/barrier thing.

Parakeetman

Oh damn I didn't know. Those stats on it are pretty ridiculous but I can only imagine how long it took to farm all of that.

its mainly farming the items from map pickups that take a while which you need for making the upgrade like this. more like raising the success rate.

Parakeetman

Does anyone use the Shielding Thorn loadout?
I can't really find a good use for it. The defense buff is nice but, I don't know when would be a good situation to use the wall/barrier thing.

wall is fucking useless but the def buff makes a huge diff later on esp if you keep you allies buffed.

Illucio

Banned
Just fought the Final Boss, and got to all that end game boss snazz.

Just some basic tips for the game in general if anyone needs them:

- Play online for the last few Codes, soloing is ridiculously hard not because of your skill but because of your team mates AI's are crap, and the enemy AI's have perfect aim, max damage every hit, a ton of spammy moves, and the game likes to throw a ton of enemies at you to the point you can't move and it's un-fun. This game was meant to be played online so you should do so, and in the end you get more points off your sentence if you do so.
(So let's say a mission online gives you 300 years, then you get 600 at the end. By the time you do the solo mission that gives you the option to skip it and get the points for doing the mission once so lets say 1,200 years in the end you get 300 years more then you normally would had if you simply soloed the mission.)

- Actually spend time upgrading your weapons, getting parts to do so, and take your time building things. Once you are able to start upgrading items and building passive abilities you should start that ASAP. The game gives you a huge learning curve in the beginning middle half of the game, but after that it's smooth sailing from there.

- If your soloing and you lost your Accessory because it was kidnapped during battle and you know you can't get it back, just exit the game and come back. The time it takes to get them back is random, and it's much more convenient to just restart your game because your Accessories are too useful to have. Their commands really speed up missions, and keep you alive because they seem to be the only people who ever care to revive you during battle.

- The best weapons for Abductors (in my opinion) are the ones that have the most ammo, and deal the most damage after the end of the clip. Rocket launchers seem strong at first, but the limited ammo pool they are terrible weapons unless you are trying to 1HKO other Sinner AI's, and by comparison of how much damage a machine gun would do you should stick to larger ammo pools.

- The best Melee weapons are really up to you and your play style, I prefer heavy weighted weapons, but light weighted weapons have the ability to stab into an abductor which is very useful (especially for the Final Boss.) Overall, I personally believe lighter weight weapons are better for all battle against all enemy types, while heavy weapons are only good to charge up and strike Abductors once their down. In the end, the lighter weapon would get to deal the most damage and break off the most pieces of the Abductors armor.... I still like my heavy weapons tho 3<

- Use your vine to run faster, literally aim it in front of you and spam it to where you need to go. It's a much faster then running. And always remember you can go to high ground to fire your gun at the enemy, most enemies can hardly which you from up there without some sort of AOE attack. A lot of people I've played online with has missed this too often.

- Really think of what type of vine you choose. There are 3 classes: Attack, Shield, and Health. I found Health ultimately more useful late game, but you always need at least one attack to help bring down an enemy. Shield's final ability (which creates a wall to hide behind) has very little use on some maps, but the final boss's map has this cool spot where you can make a wall and sit in a little room while you can shoot everything from afar.

- Make a ton of Ammo Refill's, they are far too useful at later levels. Ammo runs out fast in the game, so you should really make use of those item slots you get.

- Oh and don't be too dedicated to the weapon you have, you will find a ton of weapons of the same caliber that has a higher rarity rating and is an overall better weapon very often. Try and stick to upgrading Rarity 4-5 weapons if you can, but don't let that be any reason to ignore other weapons. Do note that missions with Sinner's drop weapons like CRAZY.

- You don't need to be sneaky at all during those sneak side missions, you can literally run through most of them and not even get caught. These missions are horribly done, and are easy to finish.

Seil

Seriously the colors for lightning and ice weapons being flipped drives me mad >.< Especially when the purple "Moonshadow - Lightning Flash" is an ice weapon @_@

But oh well. The impact versions are technically superior, and the Will'O versions look cool(so I'll probably end up making Will'O ones regardless of the element I'm targeting lol).

Zareka

Played a bunch of this game today 2 player co-op and I'm reeeeeally enjoying it. Switching my control scheme to technical was the best choice I could have made and I'm really enjoying the combat system. One complaint though, imo, is that it's a bit too easy so far. Just a little bit in to CODE 2 though so I can see it getting more difficult.

And while this is one game where I think it would have benefited with less story, I don't like it how playing missions co-op drops you in with zero context whatsoever. Blazing through the first 2 or 3 missions of CODE 2 and randomly finding ourselves in, well, that area was incredibly confusing. A shame too because it was a fun fight with awesome music but I just felt I was missing some really important context. Being able to autocomplete the missions in single player softens the blow, though.

And I'm STILL mad they didn't dub this. I don't mind Japanese voices but I prefer dubs if possible and all the subtitles being thrown up in the middle of chaotic gameplay just isn't practical. I have the same problem with Senran Kagura

Xenoflare

And I'm STILL mad they didn't dub this. I don't mind Japanese voices but I prefer dubs if possible and all the subtitles being thrown up in the middle of chaotic gameplay just isn't practical. I have the same problem with Senran Kagura

To be fair, even though I'm bummed that there is no dub for this, the translation quality is not strong enough to maintain a strong dub.

But I hate the discrepancies. Translating "Kisama" to "worm" is just cringey. And during abductor fights, the sub says integrity at 30%, but the voice says damage over 70%.

Zareka

To be fair, even though I'm bummed that there is no dub for this, the translation quality is not strong enough to maintain a strong dub.

But I hate the discrepancies. Translating "Kisama" to "worm" is just cringey. And during abductor fights, the sub says integrity at 30%, but the voice says damage over 70%.
Yeah, the subtitles not matching up is really getting to me too. If you're not going to dub something but translate it anyway, translate it in a way that's accurate to the original script, don't give it dubtitles without the dub.

I love localisation. I love tweaks to the script that make it sound better in English than it did originally. I HATE voices not matching up to what's displayed on screen.

ramyeon

What would you suggest they translate "kisama" to though? I think worm kind of fits the belittling nuance that "kisama" has. That's not a discrepancy.

Seil

Anyone happen to know what mat is used to directly reduce electric element during modification and where to obtain it? The only non module elemental mats I appear to have are Will'O based.

Top Bottom