• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

Shengar

Started cutting off limbs last night, but the guy would pound me into the ground and take off most of my health. What's the best way of going about doing it? Jump on, saw for a couple ticks and then jump off?

In easy way, you could just detach from the limb as soon as Abductor make attacking gesture. But it'll be better if you memorize the pattern of their move, especially against Abductors with ranged weapon or quadupred because they tend to use charge attack that took ton of time before they could make their attack.

Chicago climbed four places today! Fuck yeah. Paris, Honolulu, Toronto, and Berlin will have fallen by morning. Within days, Singapore and Berlin will have been defeated as well. Then it's the long slog to catch up to London and Kuala Lumpur.

mstevens

Does the game ever explain crafting? I can apparently open factories but know nothing about it. I also have no idea what loot I'm getting for each mission.. I'm just typically equiping whatever weapon has the highest attack. The items lists / menus / systems in this game are a little overwhelming.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hey Parakeetman I think i saw those weird animations you were talking about.

One of them is when characters turn around and walk away during cutscenes. Im pretty certain that was used in Mass Effect also. Highly unnatural looking. Am pretty sure Ive seen it in other titles too.
While not perfect this is one of the examples. I couldnt find the ones that show the whole body shot of that same stop talking then oddly turn away which is in the game too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NKrHqbICwk#t=54

Does the game ever explain crafting? I can apparently open factories but know nothing about it. I also have no idea what loot I'm getting for each mission.. I'm just typically equiping whatever weapon has the highest attack. The items lists / menus / systems in this game are a little overwhelming.

Unfortunately it does not really help the player in terms of explaining the crafting system.

Parakeetman

Well i cant say much but against those limbs that have shields that defend against bullets, i'd say its necessary unless i'm just dumb and dont know another method of destroying shields.

One of the rifles the energy one does not seem to cause the shield effect when it explodes on impact so am unsure if it actually does damage to the part or not. Where as everything else makes that shied effect appear.

But yes you are correct as long as the shields are up latching on and sawing them off is necessary. Though if you stand like right under the abductor and fire at the shield you should be able to damage that way too, but not recommend for obvious reasons.

Can't believe this has a 7 on metacritic. Im feeling more of an 8~

Tons of fun, great graphics, and somehow only 1.8 gb.

7 is about right. Since the game still needs a lot of work. I wouldnt go by metacritic with how their idiotic system works. On top of those who try to get visibility by doing low or high scores on purpose.

mstevens

Just took down my first Ramosa. That was really fun! For fights like that am I better off dragging the whole time and then going full out when they're down, or just standing back and shooting?

Shengar

Just took down my first Ramosa. That was really fun! For fights like that am I better off dragging the whole time and then going full out when they're down, or just standing back and shooting?

Dragging them down is only possible when playing with friends I think. It is more preferable since it'll make shielded Abductor vulnerable and stop quadruped one from running around. There are abductor that nearly immune to drag down though in my experience like the armored spiders.

mstevens

Dragging them down is only possible when playing with friends I think. It is more preferable since it'll make shielded Abductor vulnerable and stop quadruped one from running around. There are abductor that nearly immune to drag down though in my experience like the armored spiders.

I was just playing the story mode (solo) and I was dragging him down no problem. It took awhile sometimes, but he went down. Wasn't sure if it would be quicker for me to just shoot him.

Generally I always go for the sever or drag down.. Just want to make sure I'm not playing inefficiently.

Now that I'm starting to get the hang of the thorn, this game is getting really fun.

Parakeetman

You need to damage it enough so it sheds all the armor, then you should be able to drag it down. While it still has all the heavy plating on it doesnt work. More like its harder to do.

Just you wait till
you fight a shielded version of the asshole.

KdylanR92

Chicago climbed four places today! Fuck yeah. Paris, Honolulu, Toronto, and Berlin will have fallen by morning. Within days, Singapore and Berlin will have been defeated as well. Then it's the long slog to catch up to London and Kuala Lumpur.

awwww yea showing chicago some love lol last time i check it was at 16

Illucio

Banned

WOOT! GO TEAM CHICAGO!
Last time I checked they were at 14th place. I'm so glad my home Panopticon is doing so well. Especially because I'm a slacker who ignores supporting teams entirely.

mstevens

Someone in the thread earlier explained how to see how long you've been playing, but I can't find the post now. Anyone know?

Can't believe this has a 7 on metacritic. Im feeling more of an 8~

It needs a lot of work. don't deserve a 6 like the metro review but still needs a lot of changes in a sequel/Burst edition.

Played some Vs Matches and was a hilarious disaster (A player had a Citizen icon over his head, lag as hell, I could not change rap sheets because room settings, the game said I rescued some citizen even when I was dead)

Zareka

Is it just me that gets booted from PSN seconds after joining every lobby? My connection on everything else is fine apart from this game.

My game also started spazzing out on ad-hoc earlier. Mobs were teleporting around the place like extreme online lag and my battle log was going insane. The person I was playing with was fine, though they were the host.

My game also crashed on me one time, too. I'm worrying and don't have PS+ right now so I can't upload my save. :(

Hikami

Was that supposed to be the ending?
The story was finally getting good and then..
boom, credits.
Got promoted to CODE 8 and still getting missions so that can't be it right?
That felt really anti-climactic after those awesome boss fights.

Parakeetman

Was that supposed to be the ending?
The story was finally getting good and then..
boom, credits.
Got promoted to CODE 8 and still getting missions so that can't be it right?
That felt really anti-climactic after those awesome boss fights.

Yep ending =
BUY OUR EXPANSION FREEDOM WARS TENBATSU LOL if it ever comes out that is.

Mailbox

man i'm having so much fun with this game at code 5. Damn its addicting (but yeah, if they make a sequel they need to do fewer game design faux pas')

hMZFyoq.jpg

UooAO7n.jpg

A87s0Tq.jpg

Fuck you game:

EXAM7:
Oh yeah Natalia, you are so pragmatic in having a exam consisting in people killing your subordinates and you are so strong because I kill you in 3 seconds but you decide to spam meele users and lasers

I bet you are supposed to like her/feel sorry for her after that. Man, she is not scary or menacing, she is just incompetent even by this ShonenXOrwellian world standards.

baekshi

Banned
Fuck you game:

EXAM7:
Oh yeah Natalia, you are so pragmatic in having a exam consisting in people killing your subordinates and you are so strong because I kill you in 3 seconds but you decide to spam meele users and lasers

I bet you are supposed to like her/feel sorry for her after that. Man, she is not scary or menacing, she is just incompetent even by this ShonenXOrwellian world standards.

This one was way too easy, I guess the patch did the trick...

OmegaZero

So I'm kind of interested in this but mainly because God Eater 2 hasn't come out in the West yet.

My hunting game background:
-more than 100 hours in God Eater Burst
-I have no idea how much time I've spent playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate but it's probably best left a secret to all of us.
-Platinumed Soul Sacrifice but it didn't grab me like the first two did so I haven't grabbed Delta (basically got burnt out on it).
-Put like 80 hours into Ragnarok Odyssey and at least 60 into Ragnarok Odyssey Ace for reasons I am still trying to figure out.
-Liked the Toukiden Demo but didn't get the full game since I felt it didn't have enough content.
-Like the JP Freedom Wars demo even though I couldn't understand any of it.

So based on all of that, will I like this? Does this game ensure that melee combat is as powerful as ranged combat or is there a clear discrepancy like in Soul Sacrifice? How's the amount of content and customization in comparison to the above games?
I've been looking through impressions but thought a direct answer would help me come to a decision quicker.

This one was way too easy, I guess the patch did the trick...

It would not be difficult if it was not for the fact that she can revive her assholes (and they don't dissapear as fast as her)

And doesn't help that I had aug that prolonged my "state of dead".

I hope, if there is a sequel, she dies at the three minutes. What a shitty character...

Mailbox

So I'm kind of interested in this but mainly because God Eater 2 hasn't come out in the West yet.

-I have no idea how much time I've spent playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate but it's probably best left a secret to all of us.
-Platinumed Soul Sacrifice but it didn't grab me like the first two did so I haven't grabbed Delta (basically got burnt out on it).
-Put like 80 hours into Ragnarok Odyssey and at least 60 into Ragnarok Odyssey Ace for reasons I am still trying to figure out.
-Liked the Toukiden Demo but didn't get the full game since I felt it didn't have enough content.

So based on all of that, will I like this? Does this game ensure that melee combat is as powerful as ranged combat or is there a clear discrepancy like in Soul Sacrifice? How's the amount of content and customization in comparison to the above games?
I've been looking through impressions but thought a direct answer would help me come to a decision quicker.

if you can get past code2 (with its morbid pacing), you should have a fun time, i guess.
I find it better not to think of this game as a hunter game, but rather an pre-gears style tps w/ melee and hunter elements. at least, that's how i see it.

As for melee, you have to learn how to handle it to be effective. I didn't use much, if any, melee tell midway code3, but after learned to lock on, upgrade, and saw enemy parts off, melee became very fun and effective. (not sure about later codes though, according to others, melee becomes a less attractive option)

baekshi

Banned

SSD fixes those close range combat so and filled rich with endless content. In Delta, there is tons more customization like mix n matching head, top, bottom and voices from characters also unlockable for your sorcerer.

Although customization in FW game pretty deep but I wish clothing was more expanded like mix n matching, and full freedom of where to place stickers/patterns...

I haven't found melee combat useless at all (especially in online), you can drag n drop enemies with thorn easily and dive in to hit pods/parts. Ranged weapons are pretty effective to hit those parts also and when they look damaged, can jump in with melee to sever parts off.

Edit:
I don't use lock on at all, I think that so far has been pretty useless or maybe I'm just good at aiming for parts and not needing it..... whichever it is.

Shengar

It's not a "Playstation", rather an event for PS4.

No list or presence of vita.

kesSTCe.gif

Its too bad really because out of Sony's take on hunting action game, Freedom Wars offer the most different experience with the largest room for innovation and growth

baekshi

Banned
kesSTCe.gif

Its too bad really because out of Sony's take on hunting action game, Freedom Wars offer the most different experience with the largest room for innovation and growth

Well, they're also killing hunting action [4p co-op] kyouto campaign they had so this might as well be dead.

edit:

For everyone else, buy this game. $30 for what it gives is amazing.

OmegaZero

if you can get past code2 (with its morbid pacing), you should have a fun time, i guess.
I find it better not to think of this game as a hunter game, but rather an pre-gears style tps w/ melee and hunter elements. at least, that's how i see it.

As for melee, you have to learn how to handle it to be effective. I didn't use much, if any, melee tell midway code3, but after learned to lock on, upgrade, and saw enemy parts off, melee became very fun and effective. (not sure about later codes though, according to others, melee becomes a less attractive option)

Sweet, ty for the info. I have some questions based on the bolded below (that anyone can feel free to answer).

SSD fixes those close range combat so and filled rich with endless content. In Delta, there is tons more customization like mix n matching head, top, bottom and voices from characters also unlockable for your sorcerer.

Although customization in FW game pretty deep but I wish clothing was more expanded like mix n matching, and full freedom of where to place stickers/patterns...

I haven't found melee combat useless at all (especially in online), you can drag n drop enemies with thorn easily and dive in to hit pods/parts. Ranged weapons are pretty effective to hit those parts also and when they look damaged, can jump in with melee to sever parts off.

Edit:
I don't use lock on at all, I think that so far has been pretty useless or maybe I'm just good at aiming for parts and not needing it..... whichever it is.

Melee was one grip I had with Soul Sacrifice, but in general I just grew bored with the flow of combat in general. It was fast-paced sure, but despite my efforts to mix things up, combat just felt spammy and less satisfying than other "hunting games" I've played. After Platinuming the game, I just quit it instead of diving into the extra quests and chapters due to this (although I must give props to the devs for supporting it with free DLC in the way that they did), so content was never an issue for me.
It was a shame too since the world was really intriguing, and I loved the darker take on fairy tale creatures and characters.

Anyway, thank you for your responses. I'm leaning towards "buy", but have a few more questions:
If this is more on the TPS side, how does it handle enemies? Are bosses usually accompanied by peons? Do said bosses and peons engage you from mid-long range (preferably in a way that makes you use your mobility options)? What other ways does it differ from other games in the hunting genre (e.g. leveling systems, crafting weapons, weapon variety, ect).
EDIT: Also, what am I looking at in terms of content for my $30?
EDIT2: Thanks to ATXAlchemy, I'm neutral again lol. Can other people who've reached endgame confirm or refute any of his points? Thanks for your responses and time everyone!

Melee is far outclassed by guns. Too high risk, and too low of power to compensate for that risk.

Content-wise, it's fewer than (original) Toukiden. 4 natural abductor variation, while a mix-and-match of upper and lower body of man-made abductors (3 upper, 2 lower), plus optional parts. Personally, the mix-and match is counts as 2 to me, since the patterns are quite similar especially after you've taken out the opt parts. That's 6 Big abductors if you ask me.

Main game is 20~25 hours.

In the post-game/end-game weapon stats matter far more than player skill.

If you're after online/multiplayer, you can look more into this and and decide for yourself.
If you're after content, then I'd say this is not the game for you. In which case, it'd probably better if you just for Toukiden Kiwami or the next MH if you're after Hunting games. (There's a demo for Kiwami in JP PSN, too.)

Don't base your purchase on the demo.

OmegaZero

Awesome, I'll check out the demo for Toukiden Kiwami for sure.
Shame to hear about the content. Even with rare weapons/skills/whatever or something to aim for, 6-ish monsters will get repetitive fairly quickly for me unless they are really fun to fight or have crazy moveset variety.

Thanks for your impressions, I'll fish around for a few more before I start adding it all up but now at least I have some points of interest to focus my attention on.

Anyway, thank you for your responses. I'm leaning towards "buy", but have a few more questions:
If this is more on the TPS side, how does it handle enemies? Are bosses usually accompanied by peons? Do said bosses and peons engage you from mid-long range (preferably in a way that makes you use your mobility options)? What other ways does it differ from other games in the hunting genre (e.g. leveling systems, crafting weapons, weapon variety, ect).
EDIT: Also, what am I looking at in terms of content for my $30?
EDIT2: Thanks to ATXAlchemy, I'm neutral again lol. Can other people who've reached endgame confirm or refute any of his points? Thanks for your responses and time everyone!

Missed this part.

Bosses are not always accompanied by peons. But some have infinite respawn. I think the only time they aren't in infinite respawn is if they're the "wave type" reinforcements (aka Wave 1= humans, wave 2= small abductors, wave 3 = big abductors)

Human/Accessory enemies will seek you out (they know where you are) unless they're the "stay at position and snipe them" type. Small abductors and big abductors won't seek until you start shooting them or they see you. In maps with lots of obstacles (buildings, posts, walls), they'll be pretty much waiting for you, walking around a bit.

As for how "big" are their sight range, it'd probably be better if you look at a video or something.

I'm too lazy to answer the other questions.

cheesekao

Can someone recommend me the best melee weapons in terms of DPS? I'm currently in code 6 and I don't really feel like wasting any more resources after getting screwed over by upgrading crap like the dragonfang and some other nonsense.

Guys, can I ask you a question about this game? I'm mostly a solo player and I wanna know if this game have enough content for single player or you must play in coop to really have a fun with.

Got hold of my copy on Saturday and I've played a bit so far, just got up to Code 3. I feel like I'm not grasping the combat though and I could really use some advice as the game is pretty good fun, but I just seem to be scumming through by letting the AI do all the work. The main sticking point was that big fight before Code 3 and just after
rescuing Beatrice
, I couldn't do any damage, was dying constantly in 1-2 hits and struggled to dodge out of the way of anything.

Guns - May as well be firing popcorn, honestly I can't even tell if the clips I'm emptying into the enemy are doing any damage.

Sword - Soooo slow and being close to the enemy seems to be suicidal.

Dragging - Without the enemy being polite enough not to attack me for a good 1-2 mins while I give myself a blister from mashing O, I'll never get much chance to drag anything over because of how slow the bar fills.

Severing - I don't even understand how this works. If I jump at a targeted red part half of the time I don't get the sever prompt and the few times that I do I can't even fill 1/10th of the bar before getting knocked off by an attack. With the fight in question could you even sever parts? I spent a good while trying and never got to the first notch on the ring.

Pods - Civilians are meant to be in these, how do you actually get them out? The only times I've been successful doing so are when my accessory has done it.

Seil

Got hold of my copy on Saturday and I've played a bit so far, just got up to Code 3. I feel like I'm not grasping the combat though and I could really use some advice as the game is pretty good fun, but I just seem to be scumming through by letting the AI do all the work. The main sticking point was that big fight before Code 3 and just after
rescuing Beatrice
, I couldn't do any damage, was dying constantly in 1-2 hits and struggled to dodge out of the way of anything.

Guns - May as well be firing popcorn, honestly I can't even tell if the clips I'm emptying into the enemy are doing any damage.

As in, it seems negligible damage-wise, or an impact thing? If it's damage, that's odd considering guns are great. Get a Barbara's Easy Blaster =p

Sword - Soooo slow and being close to the enemy seems to be suicidal.

What kind of sword? Like... On top of there being Light and Heavy Melee, the actual weapons in each category behave differently too. I think there are three attack styles for Light Melee and I don't use heavy so I can't comment there. I mostly use my melee against close sinners and downed abductors. Since I use light ones, I also use them for severing.

Dragging - Without the enemy being polite enough not to attack me for a good 1-2 mins while I give myself a blister from mashing O, I'll never get much chance to drag anything over because of how slow the bar fills.

I'm not sure what decides it, but sometimes it'll go down really quickly, especially at the beginning of an encounter... If it's enraged, it seems to take noticeably longer as well. Multiple people latching on and dragging also makes it go faster. The part you're latched onto also plays a part.

The meter also only slowly depletes. So you can cancel out with a dodge, reposition and continue.

Severing - I don't even understand how this works. If I jump at a targeted red part half of the time I don't get the sever prompt and the few times that I do I can't even fill 1/10th of the bar before getting knocked off by an attack. With the fight in question could you even sever parts? I spent a good while trying and never got to the first notch on the ring.

You can only sever when you're either using a Light Melee weapon or have a Flare Knife combat item selected. Every Abductor has parts that can be severed, and severing also applies to pods.

Pods - Civilians are meant to be in these, how do you actually get them out? The only times I've been successful doing so are when my accessory has done it.

Dishing out pure damage, severing or doing a "gauge break"(pretty sure it's supposed to be Cage Break, but whatever...) will all deal with pods. The latter is something that can be done with a downed abductor on occasion. Latching onto the pod when the gauge break option appears will break the pod extremely fast.

If there's a civilian or accessory inside, you'll free them. Regardless of whether there's an accessory or not, breaking a pod will temporarily down the Abductor and deal some damage.

Edit: More on severing - different parts have different weaknesses. So, some parts may break off faster from gunfire or an impact type attack than severing. When severing via a light melee weapon, the power of the weapon also plays a part. Stronger weapon, faster sever. Make sure your weapons are leveled up. Also learn the attack patterns and animations so you know when you should jump off with X and when it's safe to keep going.

As in, it seems negligible damage-wise, or an impact thing? If it's damage, that's odd considering guns are great. Get a Barbara's Easy Blaster =p
I guess negligible damage, with that boss prior to Code 3 I couldn't even tell if I was actually doing anything as the health bar didn't seem to drop any quicker if I was unloading ammo into it or not. I was using a slightly more powerful version of the starter gun that I had found.

What kind of sword? Like... On top of there being Light and Heavy Melee, the actual weapons in each category behave differently too. I think there are three attack styles for Light Melee and I don't use heavy so I can't comment there. I mostly use my melee against close sinners and downed abductors. Since I use light ones, I also use them for severing.
Whatever the starter sword is. I also have a large sword but it's even slower and can't sever so I don't really use it.

You can only sever when you're either using a Light Melee weapon or have a Flare Knife combat item selected. Every Abductor has parts that can be severed, and severing also applies to pods.
Yeah I have a sword that can sever (using sprinter controls so I have to switch to it to target body parts anyway), I just don't seem to get the sever prompt most of the time and need to keep on latching back on to the same part until it decides to pop up. Then when I can finally sever the gauge fills slower than the drag one and I get smacked off after 2 seconds.

If there's a civilian or accessory inside, you'll free them. Regardless of whether there's an accessory or not, breaking a pod will temporarily down the Abductor and deal some damage.
If you outright destroy the abductor, will the civilian be freed? One of the missions I didn't get a civilian from an abductor and I thought it was because I might have destroyed it before breaking the pod.

Top Bottom