• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

Gustav

Banned
This game is very hard to love. I don't understand the crafting, don't understand how multiplayer works and am pretty sure that I am doing combat wrong.

Korten

Banned
No one can stop New York!

6HB8mMx.gif

New York shall conquer all.

Seil

Updated Rap Sheet:

Mostly working on weapons right now since there are a number of missions like 8-1 and some CODE 6+ optionals that just take way too long(would probably go much smoother in multiplayer, but might as well grind some weapons anyway).

Edit:

Feel like asking again, does anyone know what item is used to reduce a weapon's natural electric element and where to get it? I have plenty of items used for elemental modifiers, but only Will'O ones for manipulating base elements.

And anyone figured out the auto-charge mechanic for melee? Saw a loading tip that says with proper timing you can unleash a charge attack mid-combo with light melee. I've tried a lot of different timings but can't seem to pull it off with my damascus, even as a fluke =( Edit: Hmm... Maybe it means after the normal heavy attack, at least for damascus.. I was hoping for something like, light attacks then a thrust then the spin but doesn't seem like that's happening.

Shiina

Updated Rap Sheet:

Mostly working on weapons right now since there are a number of missions like 8-1 and some CODE 6+ optionals that just take way too long(would probably go much smoother in multiplayer, but might as well grind some weapons anyway).

Oh my, those clothes. I've cleared CODE 4 through 6 without getting any cute outfits. Hope I get something soon.

Illucio

Banned
This game is very hard to love. I don't understand the crafting, don't understand how multiplayer works and am pretty sure that I am doing combat wrong.

It's just a huge learning curve, it's like Anti Chess.
Chess is easy to learn but hard to master, but this game is the opposite. Harder to learn, but easier to master.

Seil

Oh my, those clothes. I've cleared CODE 4 through 6 without getting any cute outfits. Hope I get something soon.

I think my Accessory's is a variant from CODE 5(press square when selecting an outfit to cycle variants). The other is from CODE 8. You get 4 when you hit CODE 8. Not sure if there are more from progressing through CODE 8 or reducing sentence as I haven't made any CODE 8 progress yet.

Shiina

I think my Accessory's is a variant from CODE 5(press square when selecting an outfit to cycle variants). The other is from CODE 8. You get 4 when you hit CODE 8. Not sure if there are more from progressing through CODE 8 or reducing sentence as I haven't made any CODE 8 progress yet.

Oh god I never knew. Okay that changes everything.

LX_Theo

Banned
I do wish games like this had less of the clothes as unlockables. I like going through the story with an established look the whole time. The defining clothing style of my character. I mean, everyone else gets one, why can't I decide what mine is off the bat? :p

Pics_nao

Wow. This optional Code 6 mission is full of bullshit. You have to kill two specific abductors. In order for them to even spawn you have to 3 separate abductors first. I can't finish this shit without running out of time. I've been constantly upgrading my weapons too.

Seil

Wow. This optional Code 6 mission is full of bullshit. You have to kill two specific abductors. In order for them to even spawn you have to 3 separate abductors first. I can't finish this shit without running out of time. I've been constantly upgrading my weapons too.

I ran out of time the first time I tried that, but after upgrading more and upgrading the AI equipment some I was able to do it, still took a while though.

CODE 8-1 is like that, too, except worse lol. 3 Abductors at once, then 3 more that have shields and resistances =p Luckily, the main missions through the CODE 7 boss didn't have that problem, it seems limited to CODE 6+ optionals and CODE 8. Probably better suited to multiplayer since the AI is meh.

Is kind of shitty that a lot of background information is hidden at NPC as
the fact that the Warrens are made mostly of refuges sinners and citizens from others Cons
is kind of interesting.

Illucio

Banned

I literally just finished playing that mission for a 2nd time. xD
It's more time consuming then anything, once you upgrade more the mission becomes easier. But I don't suggest doing that mission unless your already grinding like crazy, or until AFTER you reach Code 8 and finish the main story.

mstevens

I feel the same way about this. So far, I've been able to get through some of these first missions by faking it, but I'm worried I'm not learning to play fundamentally correct and will pay the price later on.

So far, I just drag everything down and then beat on it.. In the tutorial it said something about switching the part that you grab onto to a different color part, and then "cutting" it or something, but I can't figure out how to do it. I just grab, drag, and beat on it until hopefully a human pops out.Then run for my (our) life.

Is there any videos or guides explaining the combat or crafting in this game?

Light Meele weapons have the ability of cutting body parts of abductors. You need to attach yourself to the part that can be cut/destroyed (red circle lock on) with the Meele weapon equipped.

Seil

I feel the same way about this. So far, I've been able to get through some of these first missions by faking it, but I'm worried I'm not learning to play fundamentally correct and will pay the price later on.

So far, I just drag everything down and then beat on it.. In the tutorial it said something about switching the part that you grab onto to a different color part, and then "cutting" it or something, but I can't figure out how to do it. I just grab, drag, and beat on it until hopefully a human pops out.Then run for my (our) life.

When using a melee weapon you can lock on to a target with L. The color of the locked on part gives some info on it. Red means it can be severed, Blue means it's a pod and Yellow parts make it easier to drag them down.

A red part can be severed using either a Light Melee weapon or a Flare Knife combat item. Light Melee weapons seem superior at this in the later levels, but flare knives seem great in the early game. Normal Flare Knives are infinite use, but there's a better version that's consumable. These parts can be broken off with other attacks, too, but different attack types are more efficient for different parts. Breaking off parts not only gives you resources, but disables some attacks and shield generators etc.

Pods are, of course, where citizens are held captive, and also a key weak point since destroying it will down the Abductor for a period of time.

Basically, if an abductor has a weapon or something that doesn't look directly connected to it, use your thorn to attach yourself to that part and then equip a light melee weapon. A "sever" prompt should appear, allowing you to cut it off. This also works with the pods with people in them.

eizarus

Banned
Damn, I'm loving this game a lot more than I thought I would, especially with how little the game teaches you. On the exam for Code 4. If anyone wants to play multiplayer, My PSN is ranjha187.

London is life. London is love.

Illucio

Banned
Is OP 7-1 even doable without guns?
I suck at shooters so badly. ;-;

Wasn't that the mission where you have to take out like 20 sinners with no help?
(If so)
- Just make Sinner Protection Augmentations, get a bazooka with a huge ammo capacity, and a heavy weight weapon (like the cinder block.)

- You should be trying to use your heavy weapon in a concealed room purposely waiting for them to storm into the room, you can then wipe em out with your heavy's spin attack. 1HKO
If they get too close, or have a fast moving melee weapon just instant kill them with the bazooka. (Bring Ammo Packs to get more ammo.)

- If they aren't coming towards you there should be little of them left until the next wave respawn, so make use of the high platforms because they have to climb up to get to you. You can use this time to wipe em out as they climb up to you with your weapon.

- Be sure to pick up their weapons to use. The Shotgun, and Low Weight Weapon are very useful.

I hope this helps.

Seil

Since the crafting system is fairly complex this is going to be a stupidly long post and still probably not actually cover everything lol. A lot of the weapon stuff, like the growth rate, isn't that big a deal unless you're trying to make perfect or near-perfect weapons. Don't worry too much about it until you decide to do that which shouldn't be til CODE 8 anyway. That said, here we go!

----------Weapon Crafting----------

When you make a weapon, its rarity is random and is capped at the level of your factory. Higher factory levels increase the rate of higher rarities while also allowing it to go higher. Rarity on weapons affects the number of Modules(traits/abilities) that can be attached to the weapon. Some other things, like the power and base elements of the weapon are also randomized when you craft them. In general, a lower starting attack power means higher attack power at a higher level, so that's the goal when you're working on end-game weapons.

When a weapon hits level 5, it can either be upgraded to level 6 or be turned into a level 1 Advanced version. Advanced versions are stronger and get either an impact or elemental boost. Since elements can be boosted through Modification, the impact version is technically superior(I'm not fond of their color palette, though, so bleh).

And then there's Modification. This involves using another weapon as fodder. The base weapon will receive 20% of the fodder's highest element, have a chance at increasing its base power(up to a threshold for its growth type, which I'll elaborate on in a moment) and its Modules will be changed up. Not only does the base weapon have a chance of inheriting Modules from the fodder, but it can straight up lose and gain new Modules in the process, too. You can throw an optional material into the mix to manipulate inherited modules or base elemental values, too.

Base elements for a weapon cap at 100 total. So, you could have 100 of one element, 50 of two, 25 of all four or whatever combination you'd like.

As for growth tiers, I mentioned earlier that a lower starting power means a higher one later on. There are a few growth types but I'm only going to elaborate on that one.

Formula:
Code:
(base power at lv1 - min base power) / (max base power - min base power) = X

If X < 0.15, you're at the "late bloomer" growth type meaning it'll have higher power later on. Power modules are not counted in this, so if you have a Power Up or Down module you'll need to exclude it from the calculation.

An example:

EZ Katze I
-Min Power = 160
-Max Power = 228

Assume we got one with a power of 171:

(171 - 160) / (228 - 160) = 0.161...

Too high. So let's try 170:

(170 - 160) / (228 - 160) = 0.147...

Perfect! So, an EZ Katze I with 160-170 base Power is within this growth tier. When modifying a weapon, its power can increase up to the cap for its tier. So EZ Katze I can reach 170 at level 1 if it's a late bloomer. If you're looking to max it out, you'd want to modify it until it hits 170 before upgrading it. Sadly, I have yet to figure out the intricacies of power inheritance when modifying. Fairly annoying since it means I just kind of keep throwing stuff at the weapon hoping the power goes up lol.

Modules can also be removed from a weapon for a fee of 5000 EP. Go to the Cell Garden in sector 6-F140 and talk to the NPC on the right. The other NPC in the room sells some high level mats.

Note: When working on a weapon, focus on getting your elements sorted before modules since you have to modify to boost the element and that will shuffle your modules around. Items such as Sodium Chloride directly influence base elemental values, despite their descriptions merely referencing modules. Such items can be helpful for fine-tuning the elements on your weapon.

----------Medicine/Munitions crafting:----------

The rarity of the mats you throw into the mix determine what you can get out of it. It doesn't have to be purely one rarity, though. Also Non-Existent Non-Resources are amazing as you don't need as many of them to fill up the gauge. Normally you'd need 15 items, but it takes just 8 Non-Existent Non-Resources!

But they're just rarity 1, so who cares right? Wrong, because I already told you that it doesn't have to be all the same rarity! One Rarity 7 and 7 Non-Existent Non-Resources will fill the gauge up and produce tier 7 items!

------------------------------------------------------

Hope this post helps clear up some confusion and doesn't create even more due to overload on the weapon part lol. And sorry about just how long this turned out lol.

Xenoflare

You don't have to mash O when dragging or cutting parts off from an Abductor right? It seems like holding down would work too.

I see no speed difference and hope to keep it that way, kinda don't want to abuse the button.

Seil

You don't have to mash O when dragging or cutting parts off from an Abductor right? It seems like holding down would work too.

I see no speed difference and hope to keep it that way, kinda don't want to abuse the button.

Holding works, but mashing makes it go faster.

LX_Theo

Banned

It is faster cutting off to mash. You can hold down, though. If you want proof that its how it works, look how the drag system works. The animation changes to a more forceful one when you mash over hold.

Its not so much faster that it is generally worth it, but at the last couple bars I tend to start mashing. Partly for the excitement and partly to try and get it off a tad quicker in case they buckle me off.

cyborg009

Banned
Does anyone know when the OST comes out on PSN? or at all?

Also here is a background image I've been using on my desktop since before the game original release.. might be good for some avatars.

BIG image:

Pics_nao

Was fighting what I assume to be the final boss.
FUCK those chains.
I also like how losing makes you have to redo the entire sequence over. Just gonna do it online.

LMN

Finally finish the game and reach code 8. The story was.... not bad, not the worst as I expected,
just incomplete, cut off, and a bit random lol
All I can say for certain is that the review on Reddit is over exaggerated. Sure, this game have many flaws as mentioned by Parakeetman and the others, and I also feel the same way that
the game is incomplete due to lack of weapons, enemies, and story..
but it also certainly have lot of potential and unique charm to it. Kinda remind me of another game, Gundam Breaker (if you are a gundam fan), where the game feels rush, incomplete, and need lot of grinding, but highly charming and fun as well.
I was hyped for this game ever since it was announced and it certainly did not disappoint me. Now back to code 8, I guess XD.

Got this today and I'm completely lost and I feel like I don't have a firm grasp on how to play and I'm just faking it.

Not really sure what's going on to be perfectly honest.
Hopefully it gets better but right now it's really obtuse and it just seems like the strangest combination.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Got this today and I'm completely lost and I feel like I don't have a firm grasp on how to play and I'm just faking it.

Not really sure what's going on to be perfectly honest.
Hopefully it gets better but right now it's really obtuse and it just seems like the strangest combination.

Maybe you can elaborate about which parts you don't understand.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I think I'm going to look for a guide online. Maybe it's just as simple as taking the time to read up on it. The game throws a lot of Info at you all at once in the beginning

It does, but don't feel pressured that you need to master all the mechanics right off the bat. You can get to the complicated parts when you need to.

I also highly recommend you change the control scheme to 'Technical' as soon as possible, so that you can shoot with the R button and aim while moving.

LX_Theo

Banned
I think I'm going to look for a guide online. Maybe it's just as simple as taking the time to read up on it. The game throws a lot of Info at you all at once in the beginning

I doubt there'll be many guides yet. Feel free to ask people here. Mind you, I don't know what you're missing, but the big important stuff was laid out pretty clearly as far as I could tell.

Seil

It does, but don't feel pressured that you need to master all the mechanics right off the bat. You can get to the complicated parts when you need to.

I also highly recommend you change the control scheme to 'Technical' as soon as possible, so that you can shoot with the R button and aim while moving.

I used Technical for a bit, but I prefer Thorn Wielder, honestly. If I need to aim and shoot while moving, I just hold L for aim mode since R is fire when aiming.

Oh man that will really help

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I used Technical for a bit, but I prefer Thorn Wielder, honestly. If I need to aim and shoot while moving, I just hold L for aim mode since R is fire when aiming.

Yea I can see that, but some weapons go to a scoped view when you press L for aim mode, it gets pretty annoying when I just want to fire off a shot quickly.

Seil

Yea I can see that, but some weapons go to a scoped view when you press L for aim mode, it gets pretty annoying when I just want to fire off a shot quickly.

Ah, right, I forgot about scoped weapons lol. I primarily use EZ Katze or Barbaras as far as guns go.

Edit: I *really* need to work out what decides whether a weapon will increase in power during modification because getting this last point on the barbara I've been working on is not going well at all lol...

Shengar

Just hit CODE 4, so I can upgrade my weapon to level 5. I wonder if I should changed them to advanced version or not. Suggestion?

Dinda

So i just realized that my japanese PS TV already works with my European account (except the PS Store) and it looks great on it.

But why o why Sony is there no option to use all the buttons of my DS4! (or at least all from the DS3). This would be so much better if i could use R/L 2/3!

I mean i can understand it with a 3rd Party game that was released before PS TV, but a first party released after PS TV? They really give it their all to make this machine worse than it could be.

Seil

Just hit CODE 4, so I can upgrade my weapon to level 5. I wonder if I should changed them to advanced version or not. Suggestion?

Advanced versions are superior, but they tend to take a small power drop during the initial upgrade. It's up to you whether you want to go for the impact/element or more raw power in the short term since you'll likely be replacing anything you make during the story with superior versions in the endgame.

Edit: Also to throw this out there, the items that mention elements during modification, despite saying they're module related, also directly affect base elements on the weapon.

Shiina

Are there any tricks to crafting other than praying to the RNG god as far as rarity and growth go?
Also big thanks to Seil for that crafting guide.

Seil

Are there any tricks to crafting other than praying to the RNG god as far as rarity and growth go?
Also big thanks to Seil for that crafting guide.

Glad it was helpful! As for your question, you can backup your save before starting the process, make the weapon and if it doesn't turn out how you want, restore the save and try again. Would likely be less frustrating if you make multiple every attempt since the process of restoring the save and getting back into the game takes a couple minutes lol. But that's about all you can do for that step in the process - it's all luck.

Edit: My Damascus and Barbara were both obtained within the first 10 weapons I made, no save-scumming involved. My EZ Katze was a bit more annoying and I only had a couple decent citizens to use at the time =p

Finally getting around to actually upgrading the Barbara. I've neglected my Damascus a lot, too...

nampad

@Korialstrasz:
It's not that I think they are difficult, the two I had so far were easy. The stealth sections are just badly designed. This isn't a stealth game and they add nothing, they rather distract and hurt the experience.

The whole controls aren't made for a stealth game. Having to hold X for sprinting and not really being able to look around (yeah yeah claw yourself please) sucks. The camera itself is way too close to the character and with the narrow rooms it often gets into shitty angles.

Seil

@Korialstrasz:
It's not that I think they are difficult, the two I had so far were easy. The stealth sections are just badly designed. This isn't a stealth game and they add nothing, they rather distract and hurt the experience.

The whole controls aren't made for a stealth game. Having to hold X for sprinting and not really being able to look around (yeah yeah claw yourself please) sucks. The camera itself is way too close to the character and with the narrow rooms it often gets into shitty angles.

Stealth missions use the non-op control scheme, so R is also sprint. I also don't have to claw in order to run with X and look around because my thumb combined with the stick's positioning does that just fine lol. Can't aim precisely, but looking around is easy.

The "stealth" sections can also generally be run through in one go. I took at most one break, generally at the very last room.

Top Bottom