• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

For a game of this kind, the game has a lot of text for the NPCs and friends.

Is just me or is better to focus on melee weapons, I feel like a do very little damage with fire weapons, even with rocket launchers.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
For a game of this kind, the game has a lot of text for the NPCs and friends.

Is just me or is better to focus on melee weapons, I feel like a do very little damage with fire weapons, even with rocket launchers.

If you like spending your time dead feel free to continue using melee weapons. :)

Sarcasm

More than enough content for what one is paying, just dont expect a good or satisfying story. Pacing is a bit fucked though.

Played the crap out of MH soo story isn't a big thing. I just need a MH fix when I get my vita.

Wait I am gonna be lazy and ask this..is MP local only or ?

Parakeetman

What's the crafting like in this game? I used to really love that in MH.

If you liked MHs style of crafting so to speak you will hate this games idiotic system. Since its semi random and there really isnt like a ton of gear since there is no armor so to speak. Mainly weapons.

Malyse

Which do you think will happen first:

A. Freedom Wars demo
B. Freedom Wars expanded version
C. Freedom Wars as PS+ game

Which do you think will happen first:

A. Freedom Wars demo
B. Freedom Wars expanded version
C. Freedom Wars as PS+ game

Demo, PS+ will take a couple of year(s?), if it even happens, since there are indies coming up the wazoo to put them there. Expanded version I think would happen if this game sold well, which I can't evaluate for now. If they follow the usual pattern there will be one, but I think that Sony is done with first party games on the Vita.

Shengar

If you liked MHs style of crafting so to speak you will hate this games idiotic system. Since its semi random and there really isnt like a ton of gear since there is no armor so to speak. Mainly weapons.

Since there isn't any armor, how does the damage scale? That question bugged for sometime.

Parakeetman

Since there isn't any armor, how does the damage scale? That question bugged for sometime.

Boosters is the only thing you really have to lower damage on top of the defense ibara which is why its far more important endgame. Just dont use the fucking useless wall.

depward

Yeah game goes right into gameplay after that final CODE 2 exam. Definitely recommend to everyone if you're feeling the actual battle gameplay but not liking everything else to sick it out until then.

I too love swinging from limb to limb and severing. Pretty cool and easy once you get the hang of it.

Played the crap out of MH soo story isn't a big thing. I just need a MH fix when I get my vita.

Back of the box says infrastructure, but I have read on various sites that infrastructure and ad-hoc are in.

Edit: I just checked and ad-hoc is definitely in, even though it isn't mentioned anywhere on the U.S. packaging.

Zareka

Multiplayer is online via a day one patch. Competitive and cooperative. Ad-hoc too.

pariah164

I plan to roll a melee fighter, because I tend to like characters that just kind of (for lack of a better term) YOLO their way through a fight and brute-force everything. Playing with a ranged weapon makes me sad.

Back to waiting for UPS on Wednesday...

DXkBy.jpg

Past

I played 10 hours or so and been mainly using melee weapons. Honestly, I don't get the complaints in this thread about it.

Shengar

Does small melee weapon damage affect on how fast you can sever an abductor's limb? Or is it completely depends on how fast you can mash the O button?

Airan

I think I played a game or two with a gaffer here with the nice Luffy outfit and Nami accessory. Unfortunately I seem to have lost connection with the net before we could finish the sandstorm mission :( Ah well, ggs anyway.

Loving this more and more, thrown away all notion of it being Monster Hunter and it being more Lost Planet 2, which is perfect since it's what I pretty much wanted LP3 to be :D

Is there a stat that affects how fast I sever parts? Currently using Chainsaw since it's Heavy Attacks are amazing.

Parakeetman

Does small melee weapon damage affect on how fast you can sever an abductor's limb? Or is it completely depends on how fast you can mash the O button?

Mash the O button and yes the 1H weapons the blades their damage rating effects the efficiency of cutting off parts.

Which is why if you dont use a small blade type you need those disposable or the lv 1 heat knives.

I think I played a game or two with a gaffer here with the nice Luffy outfit and Nami accessory. Unfortunately I seem to have lost connection with the net before we could finish the sandstorm mission :( Ah well, ggs anyway.

Loving this more and more, thrown away all notion of it being Monster Hunter and it being more Lost Planet 2, which is perfect since it's what I pretty much wanted LP3 to be :D

Is there a stat that affects how fast I sever parts? Currently using Chainsaw since it's Heavy Attacks are amazing.

Just damage for the most part really. Though think if you add in specific part damage that should add to it also. Though personally going for those isnt worth it. Adding cage damage is the best outside of standard damage increase as higher output = more damage delt when sawing away.

Parakeetman

I played 10 hours or so and been mainly using melee weapons. Honestly, I don't get the complaints in this thread about it.

Play 80+ hours then you will understand. You are still early in the game. :)

Endgame is most def not balanced for melee weapons at all really. If the charge time on the special attacks was shortened then that would help things a lot, but personally you are far better off just trying to either saw parts off or directly deal damage to the cage on your target when its stunned.

I dont understand how they screwed it up outside of bad game director. Since the folks who did God Eater which is the main dev team behind the title, knew how to perfectly balance ranged and melee. Which unfortunately is not present in this game.

If you are unfamiliar with God Eater 2 heres a simple example vid of mine from the start of GE2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEv7BnvntD8

Shengar

So far I'm using melee weapon for severing Abductor's limb. Other than that I trust my Barbara's to do the job, and likely it'll stay that way.

mstevens

Started cutting off limbs last night, but the guy would pound me into the ground and take off most of my health. What's the best way of going about doing it? Jump on, saw for a couple ticks and then jump off?

LX_Theo

Banned
Started cutting off limbs last night, but the guy would pound me into the ground and take off most of my health. What's the best way of going about doing it? Jump on, saw for a couple ticks and then jump off?

I try to watch for the indicators that they're about to buckle you off. Most of them have a several second clear as day movement they do before it happens. They I jump off and try to get back on asap.

Shiina

Play 80+ hours then you will understand. You are still early in the game. :)

Endgame is most def not balanced for melee weapons at all really. If the charge time on the special attacks was shortened then that would help things a lot, but personally you are far better off just trying to either saw parts off or directly deal damage to the cage on your target when its stunned.

I dont understand how they screwed it up outside of bad game director. Since the folks who did God Eater which is the main dev team behind the title, knew how to perfectly balance ranged and melee. Which unfortunately is not present in this game.

If you are unfamiliar with God Eater 2 heres a simple example vid of mine from the start of GE2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEv7BnvntD8

I'm hoping so bad for a localization of the G version.

On a an on topic note: how necessary is sawing off limbs anyway? I felt that just shooting them would get them off quicker than trying to saw one off with one of those knives.

sensui-tomo

I'm hoping so bad for a localization of the G version.

On a an on topic note: how necessary is sawing off limbs anyway? I felt that just shooting them would get them off quicker than trying to saw one off with one of those knives.

Well i cant say much but against those limbs that have shields that defend against bullets, i'd say its necessary unless i'm just dumb and dont know another method of destroying shields.

LMN

Well i cant say much but against those limbs that have shields that defend against bullets, i'd say its necessary unless i'm just dumb and dont know another method of destroying shields.

Dragging the abductor down with you thorn will temporary deactivate the shield, so you can still destroy it even if you only have range weapons.

I'm liking this game more than I thought I would. I'm not knowledgable in Hunter games and I think the shooting is decent at best... But I'm really liking it. I mean, filler stuff like the first mission of CODE 6 was surprising enjoyable.

LX_Theo

Banned
Why? Pretty sure you were able to type English phrases and they'd say them in engrish.

That's probably the point. They didn't want the names to be said extremely wrong by the system. I suppose they saw a huge margin of error when used in the native language of the release and said it wouldn't work.

baekshi

Banned

Let's get this right, it can only say simplest english words but they still sound japanese and are closest words to japanese language.

The english input is for romaji.

I see people throwing around that Korean/Chinese version has this feature but why not the english version? I believe they plan to keep it in this too but scrapped altogether in the end because of all languages and it would be broken to many users (also reviewers can give easily negative points for it). One thing to keep in mind is that Korean/Chinese scrapped part of it also - when it gives you the name and calls you by is not there at all but kept this accessory voice system intact.

Also all the more reason to believe that they at least tried to bring it, leaving all evidence unintentionally in game that this feature existed means removing was one of the last thing that probably happened.

https://twitter.com/baekshi/status/529026972916408320

Ephidel

Okay, having just played some online missions the co-op is fantastic. I just truly wish I could have brought myself to apologise to the folks I was with for the last mission I selected though. Everyone was binding so I stupidly, stupidly thought I'd give the healing thorn a go and then utterly failed at almost every attempt to heal anyone and probably looked like a complete moron in the process. I won't be doing that again until I've had practice with people who won't judge my stupidity ^^;

It was, however, brilliant fun. And (outside of the aforementioned healing attempt) I actually think I was playing "better" just because I knew I was playing with actual people. It's pretty great to make abductors just fall apart because everyone is working together.

Just brute-forced missions 8-1, 8-2 and 8-3 in co-op. 3 random people and a bot, all melee and no healing thorns. That was intense, but at least some proof that melee isn't that bad after all. Yes you do die a lot but when everyone is gathered in the same area you find someone to revive you almost every time.

Edit: It looks like I need to take a break from this game

One question about crafting: according to Seil's post (thanks for that btw), the ratio X needs to be lower than 0.15 for a late bloomer. Problem is, my ratio is negative lol. The min-max for a Caliburn are 296-359 but I just crafted one with 295 base power at level 1. Is it a glitch or am I reading it wrong or what?

Seil

ne question about crafting: according to Seil's post (thanks for that btw), the ratio X needs to be lower than 0.15 for a late bloomer. Problem is, my ratio is negative lol. The min-max for a Caliburn are 296-359 but I just crafted one with 295 base power at level 1. Is it a glitch or am I reading it wrong or what?

Check the Modules on page 3 of the weapon's details. You probably have a Power Down module. You'll need to factor its effects out before the calculation.

Pics_nao

I suck at online. Then again I need to grind out augmentations and weapons. Where can I get Melee MK 4 Carapaces? I wanna try out the Kris melee weapon

Check the Modules on page 3 of the weapon's details. You probably have a Power Down module. You'll need to factor its effects out before the calculation.

Ok so turns out it has a Power Down (S). Is there any guide where I can find how much power it reduces?

Seil

I suck at online. Then again I need to grind out augmentations and weapons. Where can I get Melee MK 4 Carapaces? I wanna try out the Kris melee weapon

Either from killing Melee Mk 4 enemies, which I'm currently unsure of a good location for or possibly from level 5-8 Cell Garden.

There are 6 Cell Garden maps. 3 from levels 2-4 and 3 from levels 5-8. Each set has one with Abductor parts, one with Field items and one with Combat Items mixed in with the Non-Existent Non-Resources.

The level 2-4 Abductor maze can have Mk1 and 2 Carapaces for Melee and Marksman types and I know the 5-8 can have Mk3 Melee so it may also have Mk4. I'm not certain, though.

Edit: Looks like it's not in the cell garden =/ There are Mk 4 Generators there, but doesn't look like there are Carapaces.

Ok so turns out it has a Power Down (S). Is there any guide where I can find how much power it reduces?

Power ones are percentage based. I think S = 5%, M = 10%, L = 20% and XL = 30%

You could also save scum it. Save, backup, go to the guy in Sector 6 and pay to remove the module then reload the save to get a more precise number. Or do that without resetting, up to you =p

Top Bottom