• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

Lain

Received my copy today and started playing a little and I'm in love so far. The game looks pretty good and with ton of style.
I liked the character customization as well.

Really enjoying this so far, though I'm wondering what's the best thing to do with my extra weapons. Should I just donate them, or is it better to use them for mods?

Emalde

Easily my biggest gripe with the game is the utterly stupid crafting system and its randomness. To the point that I think I don't want to continue playing it.

While a good chunk of weapon generation is randomized, you can control it up to an extent. It's a grueling process, though, if you're going for supreme ultimate OG based weaponry. I did a little writeup on it on a different forum:

THE BIG GUIDE TO UPGRADING BEASTLY WEAPONS FOR REAL THIS TIME

It's going to look really complicated and seem amazingly esoteric, but the system is actually much more forgiving than what it initially looks like as you can "correct" most things about your weapon at any upgrade stage. You shouldn't even begin to care about any of this until you have beaten the final boss.

There are a number of things to account for on the surface of the weapon.
  • Rarity - Rarity determines the number of module slots on the weapon. At R8, you have the maximum of 12 slots. There is no reason not to have as many mod slots as possible. During Modification, you can only force your base weapon to Maintain/Inherit 7 of its existing mods. The other 5 slots are based on the resource material and/or randomly generated. Mods can be deleted for 5k Entitlement Points per mod at the Cell Garden in 6-F140
  • Power - Your attack damage ofc. At level 1, this is the most important value to take note of as it will determine whether your weapon even has the capacity to become an optimal variant. This table, in the highlighted column, shows the maximum Power value for the highest Class of the "Late-Bloomer" Growth type. The takeaway from this is that when you craft a new R8 weapon, you want it to be either at or below that highlighted value for the respective weapon.
  • Growth Type - There are four Power curves for all weapons, divided into four categories by japanese fans into "Late-Bloomer", "Irregular", "Flat", and "Early-Peaker". For short, we can refer to these as "G1", "G2", etc. G1's curve is such that at level 1, your weapon will have the lowest possible power, while at level 10 it will have the highest possible power. In all cases, you want a G1 weapon.
  • Growth Class - If you're familiar with the deeper mechanics of Pokemon, this can be directly compared to the IV system. In short, upon crafting/seizing a new weapon (and when remodeling level 5+ basic weapons into advanced models? We're not entirely sure with this one, reports are unclear) it is assigned a random Class, and the Class of the weapon will be reflected in its Power. It can be C1 (the highest possible) all the way down to C21 (the lowest possible). Every weapon is assigned a Class upon generation, and a C21 weapon is typically hundreds of points worse than a C1 weapon in Power. Again, in all cases, you are aiming for a C1 weapon. However, the bright side is that you can directly increase the Class of a weapon at any time! More on that slightly down. You can check the full list of power curves by Class by just selecting your weapon from the dropdown and hitting the button. They are sorted by Growth class in descending order, so G1 G2 G3 G4.
  • Element - It should be noted that if you want to pump an Element into a weapon, there's no reason not to just shoot for the maximum base value for the entire Element pool, which is 100 (that is to say, you can only have 100 base points of any combination of elemental damage. 99 fire 1 ice, 25-25-25-25, etc). Most weapons typically have a few random points of Elemental damage anywhere, but do not worry as this can also be modified directly.

Now, all of this looks dumb and complicated, and it is! Your Rarity and Growth are fixed values, so you should definitely first spend time seizing/manufacturing an R8G1 weapon of your preferred base. The calculator in the bullet for Class can help you figure out what growth curve your weapon is on if you seized it at higher than level 1. Then upgrade and remodel it to your desired model (which should be the primary one that adds impact damage, it being objectively the best, as the others simply tweak elemental values which you can do by yourself). Once you've done that, you should use that same calculator to determine what Class it is. If it's a C1, congrats, you're already done with the hard part and can go hog wild using the misc elemental point resources (google translate works perfectly for material names in this case) to raise/lower your elements to the desired points.

If you didn't end up a C1 weapon, you need to find/make one to use as an add-on during modification, and it will instantly bring your weapon to C1 permanently. Weapons can not decrease in Class, only increase, so what this means is that if that japanese calculator scares the hell out of you, you can just mash in random garbage weapons for hours on end until your weapon doesn't seem capable of getting any additional Power increases. However, it's much more efficient to troll through your weapons and check the Class tables on the calculator and see if you don't happen to have one at C1. An "easy" way to get your hands on some guaranteed C1 weapons is during the post-game campaign: Join the path of the Alliance and you will receive 8 C1 weapons (that also happen to have decent modules, though this will likely not end up mattering if you're just looking for a quick jump to C1).

Once you've modified your weapon with a C1, it will now also be a C1 forever. This can be done at any level of Upgrade, and the same applies for Elemental modification. At R8G1C1, your weapon will have the maximum possible Power at level 10 and you can then spend the rest of your miserable days trying to get the right combination of Mods on it (which will end up costing you tens to hundreds of thousands of EP). It's amazingly dumb, but all you actually need is an R8G1 weapon and anything from there can be corrected manually.

pixxxelz

While a good chunk of weapon generation is randomized, you can control it up to an extent. It's a grueling process, though, if you're going for supreme ultimate OG based weaponry. I did a little writeup on it on a different forum:

THE BIG GUIDE TO UPGRADING BEASTLY WEAPONS FOR REAL THIS TIME

It's going to look really complicated and seem amazingly esoteric, but the system is actually much more forgiving than what it initially looks like as you can "correct" most things about your weapon at any upgrade stage. You shouldn't even begin to care about any of this until you have beaten the final boss.

There are a number of things to account for on the surface of the weapon.
  • Rarity - Rarity determines the number of module slots on the weapon. At R8, you have the maximum of 12 slots. There is no reason not to have as many mod slots as possible. During Modification, you can only force your base weapon to Maintain/Inherit 7 of its existing mods. The other 5 slots are based on the resource material and/or randomly generated. Mods can be deleted for 5k Entitlement Points per mod at the Cell Garden in 6-F140
  • Power - Your attack damage ofc. At level 1, this is the most important value to take note of as it will determine whether your weapon even has the capacity to become an optimal variant. This table, in the highlighted column, shows the maximum Power value for the highest Class of the "Late-Bloomer" Growth type. The takeaway from this is that when you craft a new R8 weapon, you want it to be either at or below that highlighted value for the respective weapon.
  • Growth Type - There are four Power curves for all weapons, divided into four categories by japanese fans into "Late-Bloomer", "Irregular", "Flat", and "Early-Peaker". For short, we can refer to these as "G1", "G2", etc. G1's curve is such that at level 1, your weapon will have the lowest possible power, while at level 10 it will have the highest possible power. In all cases, you want a G1 weapon.
  • Growth Class - If you're familiar with the deeper mechanics of Pokemon, this can be directly compared to the IV system. In short, upon crafting/seizing a new weapon (and when remodeling level 5+ basic weapons into advanced models? We're not entirely sure with this one, reports are unclear) it is assigned a random Class, and the Class of the weapon will be reflected in its Power. It can be C1 (the highest possible) all the way down to C21 (the lowest possible). Every weapon is assigned a Class upon generation, and a C21 weapon is typically hundreds of points worse than a C1 weapon in Power. Again, in all cases, you are aiming for a C1 weapon. However, the bright side is that you can directly increase the Class of a weapon at any time! More on that slightly down. You can check the full list of power curves by Class by just selecting your weapon from the dropdown and hitting the button. They are sorted by Growth class in descending order, so G1 G2 G3 G4.
  • Element - It should be noted that if you want to pump an Element into a weapon, there's no reason not to just shoot for the maximum base value for the entire Element pool, which is 100 (that is to say, you can only have 100 base points of any combination of elemental damage. 99 fire 1 ice, 25-25-25-25, etc). Most weapons typically have a few random points of Elemental damage anywhere, but do not worry as this can also be modified directly.

Now, all of this looks dumb and complicated, and it is! Your Rarity and Growth are fixed values, so you should definitely first spend time seizing/manufacturing an R8G1 weapon of your preferred base. The calculator in the bullet for Class can help you figure out what growth curve your weapon is on if you seized it at higher than level 1. Then upgrade and remodel it to your desired model (which should be the primary one that adds impact damage, it being objectively the best, as the others simply tweak elemental values which you can do by yourself). Once you've done that, you should use that same calculator to determine what Class it is. If it's a C1, congrats, you're already done with the hard part and can go hog wild using the misc elemental point resources (google translate works perfectly for material names in this case) to raise/lower your elements to the desired points.

If you didn't end up a C1 weapon, you need to find/make one to use as an add-on during modification, and it will instantly bring your weapon to C1 permanently. Weapons can not decrease in Class, only increase, so what this means is that if that japanese calculator scares the hell out of you, you can just mash in random garbage weapons for hours on end until your weapon doesn't seem capable of getting any additional Power increases. However, it's much more efficient to troll through your weapons and check the Class tables on the calculator and see if you don't happen to have one at C1. An "easy" way to get your hands on some guaranteed C1 weapons is during the post-game campaign: Join the path of the Alliance and you will receive 8 C1 weapons (that also happen to have decent modules, though this will likely not end up mattering if you're just looking for a quick jump to C1).

Once you've modified your weapon with a C1, it will now also be a C1 forever. This can be done at any level of Upgrade, and the same applies for Elemental modification. At R8G1C1, your weapon will have the maximum possible Power at level 10 and you can then spend the rest of your miserable days trying to get the right combination of Mods on it (which will end up costing you tens to hundreds of thousands of EP). It's amazingly dumb, but all you actually need is an R8G1 weapon and anything from there can be corrected manually.
Saving this for later ^^

cyborg009

Banned
These are the weapons:

• EZ-Wolff I ausf.F: LV2 +2 Modular (Portable Artillery)
• Murasame Mk.9: LV2 +2 Modular (Heavy Melee)

Decals:
Customize the look of your Sinner and Accessory with additional stickers! Includes 40 stickers - 20 unique Japanese text designs in both black and white fonts.
Includes the following stickers:
• ‘s dog
• Central
• Politics
• News Reportage
• Education
• Underling
• Staff Member
• I can die for
• Boss
• No Heroes Allowed 2
• Spec
• Tension
• Full
• Low
• High
• Test drive
• Fresh
• Public Communications
• Broadcasting
• Video distribution

No edgy sacrifice stickers?

maouvin

Will using a Proof of Non-Failure skip any story-related events that happens before/after the mission?

edit: They won't. Choose to use the proof, mission starts, you clear it automatically (and get only the 1* reward).

Ephidel

The game has decided that I have gone entirely too long cheesing my way through vs. personnel missions and that I need to learn to not suck.

They tend to shoot me to pieces before I successfully target them and/or shoot/rapel in their direction (and while smashing them with a block of concrete on a stick or a chainsaw might be satisfying it isn't overly efficient or exact).

Does anyone have any tips? x_x

CrovaxPSO

Finished the main story (saw credits at least). Really liked the game overall and I'll definitely keep playing. Two main issues I had were the running back and forth around the cell blocks early on in the game and the confusing crafting system.

oE8AeCx.jpg

pariah164

Finally hit CODE 2. Yaaaay.

My first penalty...

... put me in despair.

My first Rap Sheet. I almost made it look more like me but I was like, "I'm boring. Why do I want to be boring in this game?" So I jazzed it up. However, I tried to make my body type closer to how I am in real life. I am a tall/big girl, so I made her as tall as I could while still looking decent. I kept my Accessory petite since almost everyone I know is shorter than I am. She will become a Velvet Room resident once I gain the ability to edit her look.

igor

Finished the main story (saw credits at least). Really liked the game overall and I'll definitely keep playing. Two main issues I had were the running back and forth around the cell blocks early on in the game and the confusing crafting system.

oE8AeCx.jpg

Congrats!

I have a question to all of you who finished the game - how is this game on variety of content?

God Eater Burst on PSP felt like literally 3 maps and 5 enemies and after like 15 hours I just gave up. The game felt ridiculously repetitive. Im worried Freedom Wars is just as bad.

Finally hit CODE 2. Yaaaay.

My first penalty...

... put me in despair.

My first Rap Sheet. I almost made it look more like me but I was like, "I'm boring. Why do I want to be boring in this game?" So I jazzed it up. However, I tried to make my body type closer to how I am in real life. I am a tall/big girl, so I made her as tall as I could while still looking decent. I kept my Accessory petite since almost everyone I know is shorter than I am. She will become a Velvet Room resident once I gain the ability to edit her look.
I did the same thing. Though I'm 6'1" and stretching and resizing could only get me to around 5'10"ish. My character still towers over everyone in the game. Looks hilarious.

pariah164

I did the same thing. Though I'm 6'1" and stretching and resizing could only get me to around 5'10"ish. My character still towers over everyone in the game though. Looks hilarious.
I'm 6'2". It's impossible to reach without looking goofy on the female Sinner model. But yeah, I'm pretty much a giant in-game too.

Mailbox

Having problems with the code 6 optional missions (time and # or lives).

After my midterm tonight, I'm gonna do some weapon making and try again.

I find it weird how code 6 was basically like code 2 but a lil less annoying because of quick travel.

Well I finally got the ability to customise my accessory, wish I had access to some costumes that weren't all military gear though as light colours end up just looking dirty on the ones I'm currently using. Hence the dull colour palettes.

Probably should start looking into crafting at some point as well since my equipment is getting pretty bad, the game doesn't really explain anything about it though and every guide I've checked seems to be aimed at people who already understand all this late bloomer and rarity nonsense.

Shiina

Probably should start looking into crafting at some point as well since my equipment is getting pretty bad, the game doesn't really explain anything about it though and every guide I've checked seems to be aimed at people who already understand all this late bloomer and rarity nonsense.

Just experiment a bit, don't bother with crafting the really good stuff until you're done with the story.

Hikami

Congrats!

I have a question to all of you who finished the game - how is this game on variety of content?

God Eater Burst on PSP felt like literally 3 maps and 5 enemies and after like 15 hours I just gave up. The game felt ridiculously repetitive. Im worried Freedom Wars is just as bad.

I've played God Eater Burst and its one of my favorite games. So here's what I think;
Map-wise Freedom Wars has a lot more content for sure.
Enemy-wise, there are plenty of human enemies with different weapons and such. For the monsters though ("abductors") the beginning of the game feels like you're fighting the same thing every mission. It isn't until like after the Code 2 exam that you start getting varied abductors to fight. But after that, it doesn't really feel repetitive in my opinion.

Scher

Considering the giant post about weapon upgrading, I would have absolutely loved the upgrading if the timers on production didn't exist. I love convoluted,systems like this.

Also, oh my god, that CODE 7 exam. That was incredibly stupid.

Seil

Can you upgrade a weapon multiple times at once if you build more weapon facilities?

No, because you lose the weapon while it's being upgraded.

I have two facilities, though, because it allows me to modify my main weapon while also making advanced weapons to boost its element, or to make two advanced versions at once etc.

Airan

The ending cutscene... that was it?

I was seriously hoping we'd fight some more Retribution monsters or something from On High. What an odd moment to end the story.

Welp, time to hop online and min max the shit out of my weapons :D

maouvin

Having problems with the code 6 optional missions (time and # or lives).

Same. After reaching CODE 7 I went back to those. Gave up on the first one because I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to beat 2 abductors in 10 minutes - one of them still with his shields ~_~

Doesn't help that I completed CODE 6 (and 7, I think) online without much equipment upgrading, of course. Taking care of it now.

My rap sheet. Just got to code five late last night and used the coupon to skip the exam. Wondering If I missed anything.

Was mostly using the starting light weapon but been branching off into others with flare knife back up.
When does the flare knife drop off in terms of severing power? Seems decent enough.
Also Augmentations can I not add the exact same aug twice? I could of swore I made 2 attacks but could only equip one.

really liking the game and after thinking Invasion missions were kinda meh I realized they gave you thurster boards so now I just have to do more.

Really enjoying this game, I have real life exams today and tomorrow but I'm also want to take my code 6 exam already lol

Zareka

Are Will'O Diodes a random drop from enemies? Trying to get another Last Legs because co-op is impossible without it. We found some missions with it but don't know how to actually go about obtaining it.

Seil

Are Will'O Diodes a random drop from enemies? Trying to get another Last Legs because co-op is impossible without it. We found some missions with it but don't know how to actually go about obtaining it.

Will'O Diodes are Field items. You get one for getting 6 stars on 3-3 and they can be found as field items on Geofront maps. You can check what items can be picked up during a mission by hitting Select to access the Intel page. It'll show you what enemies will appear and what types of items you can pick up.

They can also be picked up in the sector 2-4 field item Cell Garden(there are three Cell Garden/Abandoned Sector mazes in sector 2-4 and three in sectors 5-8, one in each set has some abductor parts, one has field and one has combat items - all have Non Existent Non Resources)

mstevens

Things are starting to get harder now (Code 4, having to take down multiple abductors in a row) and I think I can't just choose to use my crappy weapons anymore. Found an Easy Blaster that is rarity 3.. should I upgrade that for now? Used it a bit (it's level 1) and I don't really see what all the fuss is about. Do people use it 24/7, or just on downed abductors?

I gotta say, those last couple of missions were pretty frustrating as I was fighting the camera, getting knocked off severing every second, etc. I want to make things less frustrating by at least using gear that will make things easier. Thanks for any tips.

In the interview with Nick on the beyond podcast, he said that there is an ingame glossary list explaining some of the words used in the game, is this true and if so, where can I find it?

Seil

Got my new Barbara settled. Just have to upgrade it more - it's lv5 atm.

Barbara's Easy Blaster P(impact model)
R8 Late Bloomer
25/25/25/25 elements

-Power Up L+XL
-All Elements Up XL
-Pod Damage Up XL
-Stagger Damage Up XL
-Firing Speed Up XL
-Carryable Ammo Up L+XL
-Clip Size Up XL

Note that for whatever reason, Carryable Ammo and Clip Size are reversed. The former increases clip size and the latter increases total ammo carryable x.x Probably a localization mixup.

Things are starting to get harder now (Code 4, having to take down multiple abductors in a row) and I think I can't just choose to use my crappy weapons anymore. Found an Easy Blaster that is rarity 3.. should I upgrade that for now? Used it a bit (it's level 1) and I don't really see what all the fuss is about. Do people use it 24/7, or just on downed abductors?

I gotta say, those last couple of missions were pretty frustrating as I was fighting the camera, getting knocked off severing every second, etc. I want to make things less frustrating by at least using gear that will make things easier. Thanks for any tips.

I use my Barbara as my primary weapon. Keep in mind I'm in CODE 8 and have invested into making it powerful haha. Barbaras have high damage in concentrated, quick bursts. You can latch on and fire away and it's like severing except faster =p When you have one that puts out enough damage, of course. With the added benefit of being able to dish out damage to parts from a range when it's not safe.

Mileage may vary during the story, since you're not going to have one built up like that yet and I primarily used a Katze during the story.

Is it actually possible to get to 0 years?

I'm at 242k and haven't even jumped into retribution missions yet haha. I spend a lot of time in the cell gardens while watching shows or something, so I get lots of items to donate.

mstevens

Well, I upgraded my Murasame to level 5 and my Easy Blaster to level 4 (from 1). Hopefully that helps a bit. Last mission was pretty frustrating with so many enemies and two abductors (one ramosa) at once... Was getting chain stunned pretty much and dying repeatedly.

What are the best guys to roll with single player... Been playing with lots of healers when possible.

Hikami

The ending cutscene... that was it?

I was seriously hoping we'd fight some more Retribution monsters or something from On High. What an odd moment to end the story.

Welp, time to hop online and min max the shit out of my weapons :D

That was exactly my reaction to the ending :p
I was actually interested in the story for once since it was getting good at that point and then it just ended.. Felt really anti-climactic.

Seil

Well, I upgraded my Murasame to level 5 and my Easy Blaster to level 4 (from 1). Hopefully that helps a bit. Last mission was pretty frustrating with so many enemies and two abductors (one ramosa) at once... Was getting chain stunned pretty much and dying repeatedly.

What are the best guys to roll with single player... Been playing with lots of healers when possible.

I don't actually know what would be best... The AI is often useless x.x for a while I ran with a mix, then with pure binding, and now I run with Beatrice, Anne and Marie. I wish it was easier to get an idea of how each one behaves beyond just their thorn, because they do seem to have some differences in priorities.

Edit: I also run with a shield thorn normally. The defense buff is handy.

Colin Moriarty reviewed the game on IGN, and it got an 8.0 which I think is fair. Game is pretty good, but there are certain things that can be changed in the future, if they decide to make a sequel.

mstevens

Upgraded weapons definitely helped. Got 6 stars on the CODE 5 exam.

Question: Am I dealing damage to the overall health bar when I'm severing?

Hikami

Colin Moriarty reviewed the game on IGN, and it got an 8.0 which I think is fair. Game is pretty good, but there are certain things that can be changed in the future, if they decide to make a sequel.

Pretty fair review. Though I don't really agree with "irritating non-abductor enemies".
The only one that was really irritating was
Abel
since he gets all these
powerful melee/sword moves
that you can't get.. :(

jengo

Maybe I missed it, but pretty much no mention of the weapon crafting is telling.

Also, it seems the physical version doesn't save to the cart. Is there a way to confirm? I have to constantly manually upload to the PS+ cloud and download to the system I play on when switching between PSTV and Vita.

Seil

Upgraded weapons definitely helped. Got 6 stars on the CODE 5 exam.

Question: Am I dealing damage to the overall health bar when I'm severing?

Yes, but very little in comparison to actual attacks.

Edit: Useful since it means you can break the parts without completely annihilating the target when you're overpowered lol

Scher

Well, just beat the game, and I have no clue what just happened. Last boss fight was pretty intense.
Why is Sylvia suddenly so friendly and letting us ride on her dragon? Like, nothing happened! I don't understand.

I guess this means it's now time for the fun that is maxing out my weapons. About how much post game content does this game have? Any new bosses or stuff like that?

baekshi

Banned
Maybe I missed it, but pretty much no mention of the weapon crafting is telling.

Also, it seems the physical version doesn't save to the cart. Is there a way to confirm? I have to constantly manually upload to the PS+ cloud and download to the system I play on when switching between PSTV and Vita.

Most vita games don't save on cart, only few select game save on cart.

Well, just beat the game, and I have no clue what just happened. Last boss fight was pretty intense.
Why is Sylvia suddenly so friendly and letting us ride on her dragon? Like, nothing happened! I don't understand.

I guess this means it's now time for the fun that is maxing out my weapons. About how much post game content does this game have? Any new bosses or stuff like that?

Look at your cover of the game,
have you fought it yet?

alittlelove

Neo Member
I'm at Code 4 and finally realized that the ally NPCs actually have fairly different AI that is completely unrelated to the thorn type they carry.

I'm so bad at this game. /facepalm

Does anyone have any tips regarding the different weapon types in this game? I want to try everything out, but the ones I've tried so far don't actually perform better than the Katzes. I expect the rocket launchers to do a lot more damage, for example, but whenever I try them it's actually not worth the ammo shortage I inevitably end up with. I wonder if I'm missing something. And what are the advantages of the different elements? I don't think I've seen anything in the game explain it.

Top Bottom