• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

Seil

I'm at Code 4 and finally realized that the ally NPCs actually have fairly different AI that is completely unrelated to the thorn type they carry.

I'm so bad at this game. /facepalm

Does anyone have any tips regarding the different weapon types in this game? I want to try everything out, but the ones I've tried so far don't actually perform better than the Katzes. I expect the rocket launchers to do a lot more damage, for example, but whenever I try them it's actually not worth the ammo shortage I inevitably end up with. I wonder if I'm missing something. And what are the advantages of the different elements? I don't think I've seen anything in the game explain it.

I'm quite fond of Barbara's Easy Blaster, its cons are apparent like the total ammo, but later on it's devastating. Extremely fast, precise bursts of damage from a close range makes an amazing anti-Abductor weapon.

As for elements, they're mostly covered during loading screens haha. I think in terms of weaknesses it goes fire > ice > lightning > will'o > fire. Each element has an effect if it builds up enough from attacks a specific part, as well.

Fire causes burning for ~30 seconds, dealing a bit of damage over time.
I think ice reduces the target's defense for ~30 seconds
Lightning causes a stun
Will'O causes a burst of damage

pariah164

Mumble grumble first CODE 2 mission.

Okay, how can I save all three helpless citizens? I get 2 fine, but since I can't run with these lazy bastards in my arms, I always fall short of snagging the third one, failing the mission. Tried three times, same result. Ready to flip a table over this nonsense.

Okay, how can I save all three helpless citizens? I get 2 fine, but since I can't run with these lazy bastards in my arms, I always fall short of snagging the third one, failing the mission. Tried three times, same result. Ready to flip a table over this nonsense.

You can tell your accessory to carry citizens (tap the screen to give orders to your accessory).

YoungOne

I give the order to my accessory to pick up the citizens and I just cover them till they get to the extraction point.

Seil

Focus entirely on the citizens and also try giving commands. You can command your Accessory to carry a citizen. If you have other AI with you, the command screen has a second page for your team, the bottom right command in a citizen rescue mission is to protect citizens and it'll make the AI focus on them.

Edit: Too slow.

alittlelove

Neo Member
Hint: NPC allies (including your accessory) has infinite ammo.

Heh. Well that's one way to do it.

I'm quite fond of Barbara's Easy Blaster, its cons are apparent like the total ammo, but later on it's devastating. Extremely fast, precise bursts of damage from a close range makes an amazing anti-Abductor weapon.

As for elements, they're mostly covered during loading screens haha. I think in terms of weaknesses it goes fire > ice > lightning > will'o > fire. Each element has an effect if it builds up enough from attacks a specific part, as well.

Fire causes burning for ~30 seconds, dealing a bit of damage over time.
I think ice reduces the target's defense for ~30 seconds
Lightning causes a stun
Will'O causes a burst of damage

I think I picked a few of those up - will try them out.

No wonder - I always end up ignoring loading screens :p. Is there anywhere that logs elemental weakness information in game then? I don't think there's a bestiary.

Seil

No wonder - I always end up ignoring loading screens :p. Is there anywhere that logs elemental weakness information in game then? I don't think there's a bestiary.

Don't think so.

I think standard artificial Abductors, orange ones, are Will'O and thus resist Will'O and are weak to Lightning.

The other artificial ones are named and color coded by the element they are and thus resist.

Ramosa is Lightning, Paradoxa is Ice, Dionaea is Fire and Peltatum is Will'O. I don't know if their variants share their elements or not.

baekshi

Banned
Eurogamers review is up: it's not good!

They should learn to play the game since their main complaint are vita's controls and mission taking forever (that means you just suck at this game)

The selection of levels is thin. Since you'll be participating in a lot of battles, and since many of them can last for upwards of 30 minutes, the stages lose their lustre far faster than they should.

As you might expect, controlling an avatar that can, more or less, move in any given direction at will comes with it some control challenges - particularly with button placement on the Vita.

As it stands, combat is the brightest highlight, though it's still dulled by clumsy controls. Beyond that, the environments are so monotonous as to kill any passion for the thing.

Just got to CODE 3, I'm really having a blast with this game and I still haven't touched the online portion yet.

Did they remove the Accessory's voice customization option? I know it was only meant for Japanese, but it looked like an interesting feature :/

Here's my sinner so far

15532436859_861e917f50_o.jpg

Xenoflare

They should learn to play the game since their main complaint are vita's controls and mission taking forever (that means you just suck at this game)

If it's any consolation, the top comments are calling out the reviewer for only playing up until code 3/4 and never touched the multiplayer elements.

This review is very disappointing, I usually love Eurogamer for it's more in depth than average reviews, this is not one of them. I can't give any less fucks about the score, but this review is lazy and obviously written to pass a deadline instead of taking it seriously.

Seil

Did they remove the Accessory's voice customization option? I know it was only meant for Japanese, but it looked like an interesting feature :/

Yeah, it was removed =/ Really wish there was a way to let us have it and call up the JP keyboard to allow proper input.

Even if that would be difficult to use or pointless to a lot of people in the market, it's a completely optional feature that would be interesting to play around with.

As an aside, it'd be nice if some day things are truly region-free lol. Sure, we can play other region games on the vita, but unless we use a JP account we can't get a JP game's DLC from PSN =/ And juggling accounts on Vita sucks x.x

Xenoflare

Yeah, it was removed =/ Really wish there was a way to let us have it and call up the JP keyboard to allow proper input.

Even if that would be difficult to use or pointless to a lot of people in the market, it's a completely optional feature that would be interesting to play around with.

As an aside, it'd be nice if some day things are truly region-free lol. Sure, we can play other region games on the vita, but unless we use a JP account we can't get a JP game's DLC from PSN =/ And juggling accounts on Vita sucks x.x

IIRC Vita was friendlier with multi accounts until update 1.80. Alas I got mine after it came out.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
If it's any consolation, the top comments are calling out the reviewer for only playing up until code 3/4 and never touched the multiplayer elements.

This review is very disappointing, I usually love Eurogamer for it's more in depth than average reviews, this is not one of them. I can't give any less fucks about the score, but this review is lazy and obviously written to pass a deadline instead of taking it seriously.

Are these claims valid? That is practically just past the tutorial of the game.

It's a shame, what are the chances of it being patched in? The voice synthesizer is still there since it gets used by the Accessories, but I still think it's unlikely :/

And yeah, switching regions is quite bothersome and it's honestly one of my main gripes with the Vita.

mrjohill

Anyone know how to get a will'o capacitor: s-type 1? I know you have to fight the spider but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to break for it.

Xenoflare

Are these claims valid? That is practically just past the tutorial of the game.

Well, of course I'm coming from a position of a negative bias but it does sound like it, the way he summarized the gameplay segments sounds like he played through a few fights and went into the character customization screen and gave up afterwards. He did mention that this game is just not his cup of tea period, so there is that.

Personally, I was meh on the game until the
Ramosa
fight, god it was so intense.

In a way this game reminds me of Soul Sacrifice in terms of satisfaction, I god SS through PS+ and this because I really would like some new physical games for my Vita it's been dead for so long and I'm pleasant surprised, regardless of it's shortcomings, FW is one of the prettiest games I've seen on Vita.

Seil

IIRC Vita was friendlier with multi accounts until update 1.80. Alas I got mine after it came out.

I've had mine since launch. 1.80 made it so you can only have one account per card. Previously, you didn't HAVE to format the card after going through the other nonsense.

I have two cards, my smaller one is linked to a JP account. But going through the other nonsense and startup stuff as well as screwing up my folders and backgrounds makes it unappealing. Haven't switched around since soon after PSO2 was made compatible.

It'd be great if the store was universal, even if it locked you out of other regions by default. Like, what if the store was like "Oh, I see you're playing the JP version of Freedom Wars, here let's give you access to that section of the store". Then I'd be like "Sweet, thanks PSN, now I can access content for the game I bought!" And everything would be awesome.

Sadly we may never live in that world =( But at least we can play other region games on Vita unlike 3DS x.x

Anyone know how to get a will'o capacitor: s-type 1? I know you have to fight the spider but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to break for it.

I think it's from the two launchers on its back but I'm not 100%.

Xenoflare

I've had mine since launch. 1.80 made it so you can only have one account per card. Previously, you didn't HAVE to format the card after going through the other nonsense.

I have two cards, my smaller one is linked to a JP account. But going through the other nonsense and startup stuff as well as screwing up my folders and backgrounds makes it unappealing. Haven't switched around since soon after PSO2 was made compatible.

It'd be great if the store was universal, even if it locked you out of other regions by default. Like, what if the store was like "Oh, I see you're playing the JP version of Freedom Wars, here let's give you access to that section of the store". Then I'd be like "Sweet, thanks PSN, now I can access content for the game I bought!" And everything would be awesome.

Sadly we may never live in that world =( But at least we can play other region games on Vita unlike 3DS x.x

Well, considering the situation of 3DS I think PS3/Vita users are very lucky indeed.

But I agree, this one card per account thing is dumb, not to mention the cumbersome back up process that the Vita has, all for the sake of anti piracy, I think the memory cards being proprietary is also one of the reasons. The Vita is in fact one of the worst electronics I've used regarding backup and transfers. It took a good while back when I had a 4GB card with a few small games on it, god knows what would happen if I bite in and upgrade my 16GB card (12 gigs of games).

64GB please come over to NA plz.

Anko

Shame. I can understand why they would remove it though. It's really fun to customise your ACC. It can actually take in English input, but of course it won't read it with perfect English and will still break words down to the Japanese alphabets IIRC.

Mephala

How are you guys getting screenshots?

I just got to Code 5. I have a "Special Request" mission.... It had maxed stars in difficulty but I tried it any way. I had to defeat two white coloured, extremely aggressive
Spider and winged tiger abductor
thingies. Plus an ever spawning legion of bots and sinners. I managed to kill one abductor before finally timing out. -_-'
Kind of disheartening, though I guess I am skipping ahead quite a bit in terms of difficulty spikes.

Any tips on what I should prioritise in terms of what rights I should reclaim? So far I've been going with
  1. Keep X Rarity items from missions
  2. Thorn Upgrade
  3. Weapons Facility
  4. Augments
  5. Everything else. (Including other facility upgrades)

I'm uncertain where, when or if I should even bother to upgrade my companion AI's gear. How much difference does it make? I notice they tend to die pretty quickly these last few missions.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I only played the first 2 tutorial missions but for those wondering the Italian localization seems to be absolutely perfect.

Thought this may be of relevance to FW fans here, a nendoroid has been revealed for Beatrice “Lily” Anastasi. Very cute!

[IMGhttp://mikatan.goodsmile.info/en/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/o0515058913119997409.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://mikatan.goodsmile.info/en/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/o0515037413119997756.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://mikatan.goodsmile.info/en/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/o0515064513119997589.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://mikatan.goodsmile.info/en/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/o0515050113119997588.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://mikatan.goodsmile.info/en/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/o0515054713119997590.jpg[/IMG]

I'm not even a figures collector or anything, but this has to be one of the cutest ones out there LOL.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yes, up to CODE 3 the Italian localization seems mostly fine, I hope it won't get worse :)

Honestly i don't remember a bad Italian localization(dubs on the other hand... How to forget Clive Barker's Jericho? Lol).
I heard that Tales of Hearts R English localization is not really good, i bet the Italian one will be better :)

Honestly i don't remember a bad Italian localization(dubs on the other hand... How to forget Clive Barker's Jericho? Lol).
I heard that Tales of Hearts R English localization is not really good, i bet the Italian one will be better :)

Bethesda games (TES and Fallout) would like to have a word with you, those are full of errors :p

As far as Vita titles go though I have to agree, all the games I played had great localization

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Bethesda games (TES and Fallout) would like to have a word with you, those are full of errors :p

As far as Vita titles go though I have to agree, all the games I played had great localization

You obviously didnt play Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment then. :)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Thought this may be of relevance to FW fans here, a nendoroid has been revealed for Beatrice “Lily” Anastasi. Very cute!

Nice to see its finally finished, as its been known about for a while though just was an early production model which was not colored.

Cookie18

Beatrice is cool but I want a Percy Propa plush. That would be awesome. Definitely going to be looking for one when I'm next in Japan.

Beatrice is cool but I want a Percy Propa plush. That would be awesome. Definitely going to be looking for one when I'm next in Japan.

THIS x1000

Also, I've finally reached Code 4 (I've been doing a lot of grinding to make various pretty weapons, lol) - do you start getting a lot more clothing designs later on (I'm getting bored with the military chic) or does it keep to the one outfit (3 variations) per Code?

Seil

Sentence reduced to zero, time for a vacation!

It's for mobility, obviously.

Also, I've finally reached Code 4 (I've been doing a lot of grinding to make various pretty weapons, lol) - do you start getting a lot more clothing designs later on (I'm getting bored with the military chic) or does it keep to the one outfit (3 variations) per Code?

One outfit per CODE except CODE 8 which is four(or 5/6 if you count reducing sentence to 0)

Mephala

0 sentence, wow. Is there a decent way to reduce it playing solo? I'm only Code 5 but it seems pretty slow, I'm only just reaching 800k I think, maybe even not there yet.

Congrats on freedom!

dkoy

So I got the game pretty much on launch date (in Aus) despite having exams right around the corner which I'm royally screwed for. Just "finished" (read: had people carry me through) the last boss and
I had hope for a cool ending sequence when Carlos back stabbed me. Instead, NOPE! The game lets you walk through a corridor three times before pulling some deus ex machina followed by flying off into the sunset on a T-Type. I don't know what I was expecting but I feel somewhat put off by this.

Too bad there aren't any On High maps. It'd be great if they could work those into part of the single player story in a re-release version.

Guess it's time for the post game grind. I was basically carried by my team for CODEs 6 and 7.

Top Bottom