• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

Toki767

This was going to be a day one buy for me but the problem now is I have heard some bad rumblings about it and I'm poor so I'm debating on whether I really should put the money on it.

Add in that minecraft comes to vita in 2 weeks (I'm waiting for the retail version) and GTA V for PS4 in three weeks, and I'm trying to finish Borderlands 2 before I get minecraft for my Vita, not sure when I'd end up playing this so I think I'll wait until at least Minecraft isn't so new to me on the Vita.

I also am waiting for when enough people have played it that they can recommend whether I'd like it. For one I plan on playing it solo as I don't know anyone with a Vita to play with anyways. And I kinda wanted it to have good story and I keep hearing bad about that. I like that it has a lot of third person shooter aspects from what I hear but I wonder how much you can craft weapons. I really like the aspect of Monster Hunter where you get pieces and craft weapons but also grow plants for making stuff with like potions or even armor. I wonder how light the crafting system in this game is. If this has a moderate to good crafting system plus third person shooter aspect, the story may not be a big thing to me. But if it's just mostly third person shooter aspect, story would be more important.
Well the price isn't going to go up on the game or anything so I think you're probably fine waiting if you don't want to jump in right away.

Redhood

And bought! Base game will take 2 hours. lol

IAP found for 2 dollars to change panopticon. lol Guess will have to chose wisely.

Add name to main list.

Tigress

Well the price isn't going to go up on the game or anything so I think you're probably fine waiting if you don't want to jump in right away.

Yeah, I know. That's what I keep telling myself (patience is not a virtue of mine). And I was actually not excited about getting it (after seeing some bad stuff) until I saw this thread, realized it was out and was reading people's hype for it.

I'm trying to make myself at least wait until I can get some impressions from people (big thing is I want to know how much you can craft in the game. That's the big thing I loved about Monster Hunter, hunting things for parts to craft stuff with. Also growing stuff and other stuff. I get the impression the crafting isn't as extensive but I want to know how much crafting figures in it).

Yasumi

Banned
Canadian boxart. I'm surprised they credited all three teams. I preordered it from Bestbuy, didn't get the swanky preorder DLC. ;_;
Zuxt58h.jpg

antibolo

Banned
3oqNMLcs+

Interesting, just ordered and got a pre-order DLC bundle (was there even a pre-order on this?)

It's pretty standard for SCE games with pre-order bonuses, if you buy it digital during the first week you get the pre-order bonus you would have gotten from buying the retail version.

Bought the digital version from my phone, I don't think I will be able to play it until later tonight /: Tomorrow is my day off school so for sure I'll be able to make up for that time aha!

I'm interested in this game, but I didn't really like Soul Sacrifice so I'm not sure about this. How does it compare structurally? What I didn't like about it was being dropped in small arenas and there being no room for exploration or deviation outside of the specific mission. I also didn't really like the restrictive combat in SS. Obviously FW is going to be different due to having guns, but I don't really know a lot about it outside of a couple of trailers.

Hopefully we get a demo. I don't see anything for it on UK PSN just yet.

I really wanted to get this game, but the usb cable for my vita finally crapped out, so I can't charge it, and no one in my area sells the cables anymore.

;-;

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Parakeetman

Anyone know if the suits were preorder only in the Japanese version, or if they were available afterwards?

I dont recall unlocking suits later on.

If anything Id imagine they would bring it out as free DLC, though seeing how they are more pay happy with Freedom Wars maybe not.

God Eater had a huge free DL pack for all various DLCs.

*shit double posted. :/ Apologies folks.

---

On a separate note, to all those who are sitting on a fence look at it this way. The longer you wait the less active a community will become with these types of games. On top of will be you having to play catch up with others. And game is not nearly as fun if you have super high lv people helping you out as you will have zero sense of accomplishment unlike playing with others who are around the same point in the game as yourself.

So unless you are planning on doing the forever alone playstyle and just SP the title, do suggest getting it now while you have a fresh gaf community of new players to have fun online with.

Seriously its 30 bucks and you will most def get your $$$ worth, if these types of games are your thing or like playing co-op with others.

nikos

LOL Athens is actually ranked higher than NYC at the moment, though I'm sure it'll change. Good to see it active though, shouldn't have betrayed the motherland.

It costs $1.99 to switch Panopticons, for those wondering.

MidBoss

LOL Athens is actually ranked higher than NYC at the moment, though I'm sure it'll change. Good to see it active though, shouldn't have betrayed the motherland.

It costs $1.99 to switch Panopticons, for those wondering.

Ranking list/Screenshot pls? Haven't picked a panopticon yet. Still downloading.

Parakeetman

So what were the major complaints about this thing? It looks pretty neat and is 30$.

story is a mess and incomplete. which is a huge shame with the world setting and varied cast they had.

animations used during story bits look pre canned at times

flow with story events as getting to the next part can be a pain in the ass at times.

game balance is lopsided.

weapon customization for endgame play can be a pain in the ass if you dont know how the system works, though patches in japan have sort of helped fix that.

lacking in real abductor variations.

melee weapons mostly useless.

with all that aside folks still should have a good time and try not to focus too much on what i said above. most def play with friends or other gaf members from the list provided in this ot.

So where's the majority willl end up choosing for panopticons? Haven't created my char yet eventhough I downloaded it early :lol
Blame FFXIV 2.4

depward

I dont recall unlocking suits later on.
On a separate note, to all those who are sitting on a fence look at it this way. The longer you wait the less active a community will become with these types of games. On top of will be you having to play catch up with others. And game is not nearly as fun if you have super high lv people helping you out as you will have zero sense of accomplishment unlike playing with others who are around the same point in the game as yourself.

So unless you are planning on doing the forever alone playstyle and just SP the title, do suggest getting it now while you have a fresh gaf community of new players to have fun online with.

Seriously its 30 bucks and you will most def get your $$$ worth, if these types of games are your thing or like playing co-op with others.

This is a great point. Recently happened with me re: Toukiden. Finally was like OK, I'll pick it up... and now hardly anyone plays online.

It's super important, especially when we're talking about games on the Vita, that if you want to play this game and, more importantly, want to play with others online, that you help build out the community right when it launches. That way: bigger base of people, helps people realize hey it's a good idea to play online... basically a nice snowball effect.

Ohnonono

story is a mess and incomplete.

flow with story events as getting to the next part can be a pain in the ass at times.

weapon customization for endgame play can be a pain in the ass if you dont know how the system works, though patches in japan have sort of helped fix that.

I take it the english version has the japanese patches already?

Parakeetman

I take it the english version has the japanese patches already?

dont think you guys have the most recent one yet. that one adds a feature which helps make weapon upgrading slightly less of a pain to do with being able to delete unwanted modules for a price. among other fixes.

one thing for sure is you guys have a more complete version at launch and a lower price. for us mp came out way too late and pvp lol.

Tigress

Does anyone know how extensive the crafting system is?

Do you just get to craft weapons or is it armor, potions, clothes. And is it all from stuff you fight or can you scavange stuff from the environment as well? What exactly do you get to do on the crafting/customization side?

Parakeetman

Does anyone know how extensive the crafting system is?

Do you just get to craft weapons or is it armor, potions, clothes. And is it all from stuff you fight or can you scavange stuff from the environment as well? What exactly do you get to do on the crafting/customization side?

not very extensive. game has no armor system really just mainly weapons and boosters which work like accessories in an rpg with various effects.

clothing is earned by reaching certain ranks in the game story then purchasing the unlocks with points.

crafting is done via factories which are placed on preset locations which can be increased over time. weapon, item, medical, booster and think there might be one more.

crafting things take real world time too higher lv the item more time it takes to craft. time can be shaved off using civilians or other effects added.

Tigress

not very extensive. game has no armor system really just mainly weapons and boosters which work like accessories in an rpg with various effects.

clothing is earned by reaching certain ranks in the game story then purchasing the unlocks with points.

Ah, thanks. That is probably what I heard that turned me off in the first place (I couldn't remember what exactly I had heard that made me less interested but that already is cooling me down for wanting to get it).

That's too bad, a third person shooter aspect gameplay with a decent crafting system (or better, a really good crafting system) would have been totally awesome. And I liked the environment/settings that the screenshots showed.

*sigh* wasted potential.

Parakeetman

Ah, thanks. That is probably what I heard that turned me off in the first place (I couldn't remember what exactly I had heard that made me less interested but that already is cooling me down for wanting to get it).

That's too bad, a third person shooter aspect gameplay with a decent crafting system (or better, a really good crafting system) would have been totally awesome. And I liked the environment/settings that the screenshots showed.

*sigh* wasted potential.

i think they wanted something less focused on the crafting side and more action based. though its ironic that endgame you will be going insane trying to max out a weapon with the best modules which also requires constant farming runs for a particular map resource.

the idea is semi similar to god eater where no real focus on armor more just weapons and consumables plus accessories. just this game added the real world timer thing. its not too bad though since usually finished by the time you are back from a mission or done with creating other junk.

this most def is a unique title that is worth checking out regardless of all the flaws. cant go wrong for the price too and you have a community to play with here which will most def make for a more enjoyable experience than playing solo.

story is a mess and incomplete. which is a huge shame with the world setting and varied cast they had.

with all that aside folks still should have a good time and try not to focus too much on what i said above. most def play with friends or other gaf members from the list provided in this ot.

I just get back from the store from a lunch errand all proud that I found a GameStop that had a copy available and then read this. Seriously questioning if I made the right decision now. :p

I also forgot how empty it feels opening Vita games. It's been a while and it just always feel like there should be more than just the game card inside the case.

Dinda

Does anybody know what's up with the German release of the game? It will release everywhere in Europe tomorrow, and on Friday in the UK.
But Germany seems to get it a week later? Why?

antibolo

Banned
I assume that the Asian version uses the same Panopticons as the western versions? Because that would explain why the top 3 are all Asia region and so high above everything else.

And is the Tokyo Panopticon an agglomeration of all the prefectural Panopticons in the Japanese version or something like that? Or is it just an entirely separate ranking?

Parakeetman

I just get back from the store from a lunch errand all proud that I found a GameStop that had a copy available and then read this. Seriously questioning if I made the right decision now.

nope you should be fine. even more so considering you can play with others. we here in japan were stuck with mostly single player since no infrastructure mode from the get go.

even with that all said ive still spent like 80-90 hours in the game.

khaaan

urgh, I wasn't planning on getting this but the thread has made it sound super attractive. I think I'm going end up buying it tonight...

Redhood

lol @ mumbai at 49. What is the advantage of having top panopticon? Do we get weekly goodies or something for top scoring panopticon?

Top Bottom