• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
~Devil Trigger~ said:
YES Nariko is back!!!
nariko2.jpg

Pretty much.
Man, I can't love her enough.
Wrekt said:
Bring back the monster-of-the-week episodes. The alternate reality stuff really slowed the series down imo.
Hell fucking no.

Yaweee

PhoncipleBone said:
The show took a huge hit in overall numbers last season, but actually held steady in the brutal Thursday 9pm slot. Fox was so happy that they had a show that could hold steady there they decided to keep it.

Yup. It is the highest rated show for FOX in that time slot in years. They were pleased enough to order a full (22 epiosode?) season 3 pretty early in the Spring.

Zoe

I liked the formula the series had in the very beginning. It appeared to episodic, but then it all tied together in the end.

Wrekt said:
Bring back the monster-of-the-week episodes. The alternate reality stuff really slowed the series down imo.

....w...w.w..w..what?

Er, I have a gif, for this very occasion...

*scrambles in season 2 thread*

2ngfuxt.jpg

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
PhoncipleBone said:
While I dont mind the monster of the week stuff, the alternate reality stuff is where the show really took off and got all kinds of crazy and awesome.
No kidding right? Its like the anti-X-Files.

i wouldnt mind something similar to the MotW episodes that were in the first season.. where they individually took on a greater significance later in the season that was not originally apparent. Since the Pattern story is done anything to come that follows that same storytelling technique would likely feel like a pointless retread.

TripOpt55

Just picked up the S2 DVD. Commentaries are for Momentum Deferred, Peter, Brown Betty and Over There Part 2. Pretty good picks (this might have been known already, but I didn't know until now). Also nice is that Unearthed is an extra instead of slotted into the season where it was aired. That would have been terrible. I'll try and start rewatching tonight but I still got two from S1 to finish up rewatching. Couldn't finish it up last night.

Whatever FOX does from this day forward, I will ALWAYS love them for giving this a third season. (Well, they better keep Human Target around. Yes, I know it's bad, but I like it anyway.)

Decado

I want them to bring back that hot agent from the beginning of S2...

Anyway, while this series has its ups and downs, it is still among the best in network tv.

WOO- oh wait. I'll be gone for vacation :/ but wait.. I'm coming back on the 23rd errm.. i'll probably be jet-lagged.

BUT HELL YEA, MY FAVOURITE TV SHOW IS BACK!!!!!!!!!

gdt5016 said:
It's not like Fox wasn't gonna give this show a third season...
Considering they gave Lie To Me another season even after giving it multiple breaks - there was a show set in the Dec/Jan time frame aired in August - I guess so. I don't understand the way they approve/take care of shows over there.

Zoe

allegate said:
Considering they gave Lie To Me another season even after giving it multiple breaks - there was a show set in the Dec/Jan time frame aired in August - I guess so. I don't understand the way they approve/take care of shows over there.

Lie To Me is probably really cheap to produce. They seem to reuse some of the House sets.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wrekt said:
Monster of the week stuff in Fringe was the show at its worst. Total opposite of X Files.

BikoBiko

Another one of the shows that seem to get better with each passing episode. Loved the scene where Walternate walked into Peter's room for the first time while Band of Horses played. Chilling stuff and I can't wait to see more of this clash of the universes.

satriales

I just finished watching S2 a couple of days ago. Right from the start it was excellent but it really improved towards the end. I skipped Unearthed and fell asleep during Brown Betty but other than those two eps I loved every minute.

One detail I noticed in the final which I thought was cool was early on in the season we see that coffee is rare in the alternate universe and those that do drink it use clear mugs. Then in the first part of the finale we find that Massive Dynamic has been sending coffee mugs back and forth between universes and presumably that has been causing leaks in the alternate world every time they do so. So I guess that is why coffee isn't widely drunk, they are all paranoid about coffee mugs :lol

Yaweee

satriales said:
I just finished watching S2 a couple of days ago. Right from the start it was excellent but it really improved towards the end. I skipped Unearthed and fell asleep during Brown Betty but other than those two eps I loved every minute.

One detail I noticed in the final which I thought was cool was early on in the season we see that coffee is rare in the alternate universe and those that do drink it use clear mugs. Then in the first part of the finale we find that Massive Dynamic has been sending coffee mugs back and forth between universes and presumably that has been causing leaks in the alternate world every time they do so. So I guess that is why coffee isn't widely drunk, they are all paranoid about coffee mugs :lol

Coffee isn't widely drunk because The Blight has presumably wiped out many of the crops. It probably has nothing to do with the coffee mug testing.

Wrekt

Lord Error said:
Monster of the week stuff in Fringe was the show at its worst. Total opposite of X Files.
I'm really surprised to see this be the prominent opinion here. Everybody in my circle of family and friends that follows the show also found the alternate reality kind of dry compared to the first season. They were always seeing and doing new things and then all of a sudden the entire series revolved around the same thing week after week. I guess it pushes the story forward faster but even something as fantastical as traversing universes seems slowed when I became accustomed to seeing all of the events of the first season.

Yaweee

Wrekt said:
I'm really surprised to see this be the prominent opinion here. Everybody in my circle of family and friends that follows the show also found the alternate reality kind of dry compared to the first season. They were always seeing and doing new things and then all of a sudden the entire series revolved around the same thing week after week. I guess it pushes the story forward faster but even something as fantastical as traversing universes seems slowed when I became accustomed to seeing all of the events of the first season.

The longest stretch of Alternate Universe stuff was only like the last three episodes of S2, or the the last few episodes of S1. The change is that the relationship to the character drama at that particular point in the story, or where the new technology fits into the grand scheme of things, is far more readily apparent. I think those two changes make it all vastly more interesting.

satriales

Yaweee said:
Coffee isn't widely drunk because The Blight has presumably wiped out many of the crops. It probably has nothing to do with the coffee mug testing.
That's probably true but I still like my theory better.

threenote said:
Yeah, seriously. What ever happened to her? I forgot.

Last we saw she was looking at a bible, and we thought she was a mole. GAF got angry because she was brining religious themes into the highly science based show, along with the cliché of being a mole.

She was then collectively wished from existence by us, apparently

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
There's nothing wrong with non-mythology episodes. Strictly monster-of-the-week stuff can be weak, but when they can actually work in good character development too then it can be elevated to greatness ("White Tulip"). Just don't go full on procedural where characters go through their standard motions and nothing has happened that will resonate in future episodes.

Keyser Soze said:
Last we saw she was looking at a bible, and we thought she was a mole. GAF got angry because she was brining religious themes into the highly science based show, along with the cliché of being a mole.

She was then collectively wished from existence by us, apparently
When/why did anyone think she was a mole?

I just hated her for being a shitty replacement for Charlie, being played by a bad actress, and inserting a cheesy, painful religious interpretation on everything. Seemed clear that the writers didn't like her either since she was written out before viewers got to see the first couple eps.

Dan said:
When/why did anyone think she was a mole?

I thought she was doing a few things behind the backs of the main Fringe team... which sets of the mole signals in my head (I'm an expert, I watched all of 24 :p)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hmm, maybe I'm forgetting something. I tried to excise her from my brain as quickly as possible.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I had bailed on Fringe Season 2 near the half-way point, should I dive in Season 3, or catch up?

Plywood said:
I had bailed on Fringe Season 2 near the half-way point, should I dive in Season 3, or catch up?

You NEED to watch the back half of Season 2, more than any other show ever or you will express the greatest "wut" ever upon witnessing season 3.

...also dont look at this thread, dont look at the gifs, and stay away from the OP.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Keyser Soze said:
You NEED to watch the back half of Season 2, more than any other show ever or you will express the greatest "wut" ever upon witnessing season 3.

...also dont look at this thread, dont look at the gifs, and stay away from the OP.
:lol

Kind of late, I read some of it and saw your gif. :(

Plywood said:
:lol

Kind of late, I read some of it and saw your gif. :(

It probably does not make sense anyway if you dont understand the context anyway....

You should watch though. The final 2 episodes will explain what will be happening in season 3 well. A few of the episodes before that give great context in fleshing out the characters, and there is also 2 or 3 great standalone episodes in there too. That about 7 must watch episodes, so you might as well watch everything if you have the time.

Not to give huge spoilers away, but if you just continue from where you left off you wont understand why certain people are acting a certain way, and a 30second "Previously on Fringe" has no chance in of helping sum everything up.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Keyser Soze said:
It probably does not make sense anyway if you dont understand the context anyway....

You should watch though. The final 2 episodes will explain what will be happening in season 3 well. A few of the episodes before that give great context in fleshing out the characters, and there is also 2 or 3 great standalone episodes in there too. That about 7 must watch episodes, so you might as well watch everything if you have the time.

Not to give huge spoilers away, but if you just continue from where you left off you wont understand why certain people are acting a certain way, and a 30second "Previously on Fringe" has no chance in of helping sum everything up.
Well now my interest is piqued. Looks like I'll be going back, helpfully I don't get burned and this show gets me hooked with a strong turn around.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Plywood said:
Well now my interest is piqued. Looks like I'll be going back, helpfully I don't get burned and this show gets me hooked with a strong turn around.
Some of the best of the show is in the last 1/3 of S2. Dont expect anything like S1 where the throwaway episodes became important later. As someone that bailed on watching the show when it was airing only to catch up for the last two or so episodes, i feel it was worth the return.

Plywood said:
Really, the back half of season 2 is just incredible. "Jacksonville" (Episode 15) on through the finale is just all kinds of crazy. The middle of 2 had some good stuff here and there, but the show was losing momentum. Then all of a sudden, the show kicked it up to 11 (with one or two episodes at an 8) until the end of the season. "Peter" is especially good. "Brown Betty" divided a lot of people, but I found it to be a fun distraction.

Changed the banner in the OP. Couldnt find a higher quality pic to use for it, which pisses me off. It is from the latest set of cast photos.

Top Bottom