• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

big ander

Big post here.

Ask Ausiello with Fringe, as always has some spoilers
Question: Seriously, no Fringe scoop last week? Why do I even bother to read this column? —Brett
Ausiello: That’s between you, your therapist, and the lovely people at CVS. If it’s any consolation, I have Fringe scoop this week. Actually, I’ve got a few Fringe scoops. The first one comes courtesy of John Noble, who reveals exactly how Walternate plans to pull Peter’s strings from the alt-universe. “[Walternate] has to ensure that [Peter] continues to work on our side,” says Noble, “and he’ll do that through alt-Olivia.” Okay, I’ll bite: How exactly will Bolivia manipulate Peter? Noble hesitates before whispering, “She seduces him… Did I just say that? Did I just drop a big teaser?” I believe you did, sir!
Question: Does the fact that Fringe is setting every other episode “over there” mean that we’re going to see more of Charlie this season? —Melissa
Ausiello: That’s precisely what that means. Charlie remains active in the alt-world’s Fringe division, so look for him to appear in multiple episodes—beginning with next Thursday’s season premiere.

Season 2 Blooper Reel "*bang* I'm not nervous! It's chinatown, I'm fine! Whatever." :lol Also, random FBI agent is in this with like 3 bloopers.

Review of the Season 2 BRD Will definitely have to pick this up come the holidays.

New Season 3 Premiere Promo *contains some spoilers*

Anna has a new haircut in this video. Don't think I've seen it before. Also, every time I hear her in an interview I'm reminded of her accent, so hot. Fringe Season 3.01: Sneak Peek and Interviews That one definitely has some full-on spoilers for 3.01

Nice show, Big Ander. I have to say, I dont really like Anna Torv with bangs. Between her and Lea Michelle, that is two hot actresses on Fox ruined by bad hair this season.

big ander

PhoncipleBone said:
Nice show, Big Ander. I have to say, I dont really like Anna Torv with bangs. Between her and Lea Michelle, that is two hot actresses on Fox ruined by bad hair this season.
I don't too much either, but they're not as bad as Michelle's. I think Torv's are tolerable. Hopefully she'll get rid of them.

I thought the best bloopers were with Josh Jackson. Dude's funny.
And when John Noble couldn't open the door :lol :lol

Solo

I don't get it... Charlie gets fired after S1 because of budgetary reasons... only to become a regular again in S3 :lol

Solo said:
I don't get it... Charlie gets fired after S1 because of budgetary reasons... only to become a regular again in S3 :lol
I am fine with that. Glad to get him back, and it does make sense within the story.

big ander

Solo said:
And didn't Charlies actor have a bad break from the show too? Stuff's so weird :lol

And the MOTW episodes aren't bad. Some of them are amazing. Others suck. Now with a strong mythology, they can afford to have more episodes that tie into the central plot, which is good.

Solo said:

My guess is that he was fired for budgetary reasons so they'd have the money to add that female agent they wrote out after 1.5 episodes.

Yaweee

I prefer to believe that they killed him off knowing that they would be bringing back Alternate Charlie. I just really like the idea of killing off a character, then bringing him back his alternate a year later.

Yaweee

There's still so much to the central story that is unexplained. Peter was taken in 1985, so why were Walter and Bell doing Cortixiphan trials starting in 1981? Were they just doing general research on human potential, or what?

big ander

Yaweee said:
There's still so much to the central story that is unexplained. Peter was taken in 1985, so why were Walter and Bell doing Cortixiphan trials starting in 1981? Were they just doing general research on human potential, or what?
From what I remember, the original purpose of Cortexiphan was just to halt the limiting of human potential. Olivia's experience with the drug is essential for her being able to cross over, but it also has other consequences: the emotion projection that Nick (I think his last name was Lane?) could accomplish, and the pyrotechnic girl from season 1. It seems crossing over was an unintended consequence.

Yaweee

big ander said:
From what I remember, the original purpose of Cortexiphan was just to halt the limiting of human potential. Olivia's experience with the drug is essential for her being able to cross over, but it also has other consequences: the emotion projection that Nick (I think his last name was Lane?) could accomplish, and the pyrotechnic girl from season 1. It seems crossing over was an unintended consequence.

Ah, you might be right. I was under the assumption that it was all a reaction to the alternate-dimension stuff, but all the research is something Bell and Bishop would have been interested in before a coming war.

I'm quite interested in how Walter's father, the Observers, the rogue Observers, and the nazis fit into everything.

big ander

Yaweee said:
Ah, you might be right. I was under the assumption that it was all a reaction to the alternate-dimension stuff, but all the research is something Bell and Bishop would have been interested in before a coming war.

I'm quite interested in how Walter's father, the Observers, the rogue Observers, and the nazis fit into everything.
As am I. I remember that, at the end of season 2, for a split second I thought "well now we know most everything about the other universe, so there's not much mystery left. That sucks, it'll just be a straight-up war." And then I realized just how much we STILL don't know, even when we were give a ton of information. Hopefully this show will just get bigger and bigger every season to reach an epic scale. Season 1 was mostly Boston, Season 2 was almost all of our universe with entry into the other, and Season 3 is going to be both universes full-blown. I can only imagine where Season 4 will go.
zhenming said:
god dam at the esquire pic. god dam.
That's right. She doesn't look all that great in the show, to be honest. But when you see her in photoshoots or at events and in interviews, she is hot.

Yaweee

big ander said:
As am I. I remember that, at the end of season 2, for a split second I thought "well now we know most everything about the other universe, so there's not much mystery left. That sucks, it'll just be a straight-up war." And then I realized just how much we STILL don't know, even when we were give a ton of information. Hopefully this show will just get bigger and bigger every season to reach an epic scale. Season 1 was mostly Boston, Season 2 was almost all of our universe with entry into the other, and Season 3 is going to be both universes full-blown. I can only imagine where Season 4 will go.

I know Abrams only launched both shows without maintaining a particularly active hand in their later development, but like LOST, Fringe is expanding its scope with each season. I don't want to spoil LOST for people that haven't seen it, but watching that Comicon interview with Pinkner and Wyman really felt similar to some of the interviews with Cuse and Lindelof. The first season was about building up to the alternate dimension reveal, the second season was developing the concept and introducing the characters to the implications of its existence, and the third season is about actually telling full stories in the other universe. I'm assuming that each of the subsequent seasons will, again, pull out the scope of the show to reveal more and more of the bigger pictures. Walter's father, The Observers, First People, and the limiters placed on humans are all probably going to be bigger and bigger elements of the show as the seasons progress. And like the creators of LOST, Pinkner and Wyman seem generally happy to be revealing parts of the story that they've only hinted at in the past.

They are doing a fantastic job of including little bits and pieces of later plots and details into each episode. Like that Peter's IV in the finale looks like it has Cortexiphan in it.

And for a more direct LOST spoiler, I can't be the only person to see the comparison between Fringe's S2 ending and what S3 looks to be about and
some of LOST's characters getting abducted by the previously mysterious antagonists and the end of S2 and placed into a position that both reveals the Others' society and lifestyle and humanizes the former enemies throughout S3.

Yaweee

Mollymauk said:
John Noble is the best actor working in television.

Eeeeee... I wouldn't go that far. One of the best, and he should have gotten an Emmy nomination, but there are a ton of great actors on television right.

big ander

Yaweee said:
I know Abrams only launched both sShows without maintaining a particularly active hand in their later development, but like LOST, Fringe is expanding its scope with each season. I don't want to spoil LOST for people that haven't seen it, but watching that Comicon interview with Pinkner and Wyman really felt similar to some of the interviews with Cuse and Lindelof. The first season was about building up to the alternate dimension reveal, the second season was developing the concept and introducing the characters to the implications of its existence, and the third season is about actually telling full stories in the other universe. I'm assuming that each of the subsequent seasons will, again, pull out the scope of the show to reveal more and more of the bigger pictures. Walter's father, The Observers, First People, and the limiters placed on humans are all probably going to be bigger and bigger elements of the show as the seasons progress. And like the creators of LOST, Pinkner and Wyman seem generally happy to be revealing parts of the story that they've only hinted at in the past.

They are doing a fantastic job of including little bits and pieces of later plots and details into each episode. Like that Peter's IV in the finale looks like it has Cortexiphan in it.
And not to slight Lost, because I LOVE that show...but it feels like the mythology build up has been better in Fringe. In Lost, a lot of the mythology felt helter-skelter. In Fringe the construction has felt much more satisfying and intentional.
That said, the spot that Fringe hasn't nearly matched Lost at yet is character development. Walter's arc has been brilliant, and Peter's is starting to reach that level of amazing, but no one else is there. Bell was exciting, but is now dead and was only an occasional appearance anyway. I want some more development from Astrid and Olivia and Broyles. If Fringe can get me to love all of its cast rather than just parts of it, I'll be ecstatic.

And yes, I see the Lost similarities in the season endings.

Yaweee

big ander said:
And not to slight Lost, because I LOVE that show...but it feels like the mythology build up has been better in Fringe. In Lost, a lot of the mythology felt helter-skelter. In Fringe the construction has felt much more satisfying and intentional.
That said, the spot that Fringe hasn't nearly matched Lost at yet is character development. Walter's arc has been brilliant, and Peter's is starting to reach that level of amazing, but no one else is there. Bell was exciting, but is now dead and was only an occasional appearance anyway. I want some more development from Astrid and Olivia and Broyles. If Fringe can get me to love all of its cast rather than just parts of it, I'll be ecstatic.

And yes, I see the Lost similarities in the season endings.

I pretty much agree with you. Fringe's development has come at a far more methodical and deliberate pace, for better or for worse, but the character stories aren't as good as LOST's. Walter completely steals the show here, but by the end of the 2nd season LOST had a huge cast of well-developed and interesting characters.

Most of it is because they took very different "solutions" in how to have a serialized show with satisfaction on an episode-by-episode basis. LOST had self-contained character-centric stories, while Fringe has self-contained MOTW episodes; the former contributes more to character development, while the latter contributes more to world-building.

Mollymauk

Yaweee said:
Eeeeee... I wouldn't go that far. One of the best, and he should have gotten an Emmy nomination, but there are a ton of great actors on television right.
He's #1.
2lwvvrb.jpg

big ander

Five new Season 3 spoilers
1. The bell may have not yet tolled for Bell. Although Walter’s former lab partner William Bell may have died in the season finale, the exec producers were quick to point out that nothing is final in the world of Fringe. “Leonard Nimoy has retired from acting,” says Pinkner. “But if Leonard chooses to come back, there is a story in place that we’d love to tell.” Adds Wyman: “I think it’s fair to say that you have not experienced the last of William Bell.”
2. Walter’s advances towards mental stability over the past two seasons may not hold. “Walter will get to the point where he realizes that he has to go through insanity to get to the place where he can be okay,” says Wyman.
3. Expect to really get to know the Alternate Universe this season. Pinkner and Wyman say fans responded to the little touches in the scenes set there—like the zeppelins and Nixon coins—so they expect to show a lot more of those details in future episodes.
4. Keep an eye on Walternate, whose motivations and actions may surprise fans when they are revealed. “Walternate can conceivably turn over a card that you didn’t see coming,” teases Wyman.
5. The life-changing knowledge Peter now has about his own origins will send him on a quest to learn more—a mission that will eventually pay off at season’s end. “He’s going to start putting together a really nice-sized jigsaw puzzle,” says Wyman, “that will be eventful at the end of the season.”

Sounds great,
Peter getting a great arc, Walter continuing to have a great story, Walternate having a twist, and Bell being able to come back if Leonard Nimoy wants to.
Love it.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
leroy hacker said:
My guess is that he was fired for budgetary reasons so they'd have the money to add that female agent they wrote out after 1.5 episodes.

That chick was just a model and probably far cheaper than Kirk Acevedo. It's no secret their budget was cut for season two (one reason why the moved production to Vancouver), I imagine they had to trim somewhere and Charlie was the least crucial member of the main cast. That he's back now either means their budget got bumped up or they've learned to make the show for pretty cheap in Vancouver and have enough left to afford him.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Spire said:
That chick was just a model and probably far cheaper than Kirk Acevedo. It's no secret their budget was cut for season two (one reason why the moved production to Vancouver), I imagine they had to trim somewhere and Charlie was the least crucial member of the main cast. That he's back now either means their budget got bumped up or they've learned to make the show for pretty cheap in Vancouver and have enough left to afford him.
The show moved because NYC's tax incentive program had been depleted, so they were facing increased costs with staying. The tax breaks were the reason the show went there in the first place, after the pilot was done in Canada.

IIRC, the budget did go down a bit, but that coincided with Fox dropping the Remote-Free TV experiment, so it was a wash. Same happened with Dollhouse. A bit less money, a bit less to produce each week.

And who's saying anything about Kirk Acevedo being a regular? He's back for "multiple episodes".

I suspect the real truth behind his original firing and bringing in the other chick was network meddling wanting another 'hot' female in the cast. Then the whole thing turned out fucking terrible.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
dLMN8R said:
"Can't begin to tell you how unbelievably thrilling first two FRINGEs are. Strongest eps to date IMHO. Anna Torv making serious case for Emmy"
Somebody put the cortexiphan bottle away from him :lol

TripOpt55

Ended up being home sick a couple of days last week so it looks like I'll be able to finish my Season 2 rewatch before S3 premieres. Just finished watching Jacksonville and Peter. They're so awesome. So excited for Season 3 to start.

big ander

TripOpt55 said:
Ended up being home sick a couple of days last week so it looks like I'll be able to finish my Season 2 rewatch before S3 premieres. Just finished watching Jacksonville and Peter. They're so awesome. So excited for Season 3 to start.
Two amazing episodes. Love this interchange:
Walter: She's here, Peter.
Peter: I know, I heard it too.
Walter: Shall I get the door?
Peter: Absolutely not. In fact, it would be my preference if you could be someplace else all together.
Walter: Oh... where?
Peter: Chicago?

Brinbe

I don't know, I can see it... I think Torv did a good job subtly differentiating between the two Olivia's in that final stretch, so she could have it in her.

And those mildish spoilers posted earlier sound great, really excited for this season, especially with how far and detailed they'll go into the alternative world.

Eh it was a decent job I guess. Not recognition worthy at all. If anybody in here deserves some kind of nomination it's the Steward of Gondor.

big ander

Yaweee said:
Ausiello is just a shameless whore, but I do like his enthusiasm.

And, uh, is it normal for Season DVDs to be available for preorder before the season even starts?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L77G38/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Fringe S3 Blu-ray, $49
I love that the guy is so enthusiastic about TV too, but he almost does it in an advertising sort of way that pisses me off. :lol
Sepinwall is great, to me. Guy seems to love television, but is also a smart critic. I also like Mo Ryan and Memles.

Yaweee

big ander said:
I love that the guy is so enthusiastic about TV too, but he almost does it in an advertising sort of way that pisses me off. :lol
Sepinwall is great, to me. Guy seems to love television, but is also a smart critic. I also like Mo Ryan and Memles.

Yeah, I agree with pretty much all of that, except the degree to which Ausiello's whoreness pisses me off.

big ander said:
Sepinwall said Torv did a very strong job carrying the season premiere. Where's your god now?

big ander

Jay Shadow said:
Sepinwall said Torv did a very strong job carrying the season premiere. Where's your god now?
Huh? I know that, and I'm super excited for it. Torv got stronger and stronger over the course of Season 2, and I'm glad that continues.
The only thing I said about her was that she wasn't emmy-worthy like Ausiello said. There's a difference between a "very strong" performance and an "Emmy-worthy" performance.
I've been a Torv supporter since the beginning. She's been good in the show while the rest of the cast shined, and now she's being great.

Top Bottom