• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Dust |OT| Eric Chahi is the new Molyneux

timetokill said:
Well according to the GiantBomb review, the analog sticks + camera issues cause placement of lava trenches/water/etc to be imprecise enough to cause frequent accidental damage.

Ah okay.:)

Damn, I'm still pissed of that they decided to stall the release. Just when I have all the time to play this game. And I know that I'll try it on Xbox tomorrow. Making waiting for it only harder.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Neuromancer said:
That's pretty fucking shitty that Ubisoft has no explanation whatsoever. That's not how you treat your customers.

You new to PC gaming? Ubisoft has done this with literally every PC game they've released for the past like 5 years. They set the date to match the console version then delay it a week or two out.

Nobody should be surprised by this, the only surprising aspect is how short the delay is. It's usually 6 months.

Gvaz

Banned
Maybe they want to inflate the console releases, by forcing those who would have bought it on pc to buy it on console as to not wait.

That being said, Fuck Ubisoft.

saunderez

Gvaz said:
Maybe they want to inflate the console releases, by forcing those who would have bought it on pc to buy it on console as to not wait.
And maybe Microsoft paid for promotion of the game for Summer of Arcade and isn't happy that they're essentially giving free promotion for the PC version of which they won't get any money from whatsoever.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The one time I'm glad I only have 90 points in my account right now, haha.

Wait I have 490 points! What the hell.

S1kkZ

Neuromancer said:
Looks fine to me. Beautiful game and a lot of fun.
yes, the game looks fantastic. i just wish it would look a little sharper.
i just spent 60 minutes playing with virtual water and sand...i love it!

Tokubetsu

Will wait patiently for the PC version next month. Looking good though. Bring on Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet next week!

Red

From Dust looks very good for an XBLA title. The DOF effect works well and the softness of the visuals is a nice touch. Looks particularly nice on collected elements like sand. There does seem to be some blur though, and there's shimmering on flat surfaces in normal view, especially noticeable on water. Possibly poor texture filtering.

The game itself seems solid so far. I spent a lot of time trying to get vegetation to cover the second map, but ended up stuck around 75-80%. Are you meant to hit 100% to clear vegetation as a secondary objective?

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
This was good fun at E3, I'm looking forward to playing it tomorrow after finishing up my Bastion New Game+ tonight. Huzzah!

Mindlog

timetokill said:
Well according to the GiantBomb review, the analog sticks + camera issues cause placement of lava trenches/water/etc to be imprecise enough to cause frequent accidental damage.
YMMV

I just spent way too much time playing a lava map and getting distracted by stories of a water map. I was able to carefully craft with lava near flammables. I basically shaped a mountain with lava to save a doomed village because I was loitering in the level. I had less than a cursor's width margin for error. The triggers are very helpful when crafting.

I hope the game sells great. I would happily purchase DLC even just a few levels in. I wish I had more time to play.

*I wish they'd display minion pathing when you tap on an objective.

VVVYes, both games were released early.

zethren

Banned
How are non-reviewers playing it right now? Did the MS store mess up and release it early?

Same with ITSP, thought that wasn't due until next week?

zethren said:
How are non-reviewers playing it right now? Did the MS store mess up and release it early?

Same with ITSP, thought that wasn't due until next week?

Bingo...

Really looking forward to trying this out tomorrow. I haven't really heard of the game until a few weeks ago when I saw a picture for it and am now pretty sure I will purchase it after I try out the trial.

Mindlog said:
YMMV

I just spent way too much time playing a lava map and getting distracted by stories of a water map. I was able to carefully craft with lava near flammables. I basically shaped a mountain with lava to save a doomed village because I was loitering in the level. I had less than a cursor's width margin for error. The triggers are very helpful when crafting.

I hope the game sells great. I would happily purchase DLC even just a few levels in. I wish I had more time to play.

*I wish they'd display minion pathing when you tap on an objective.

VVVYes, both games were released early.
I would love DLC too.

Eric Chahi, if you're reading this:

Snow levels.

Special J

Banned
Truespeed said:
Well, Ubisoft and their timed delay can go F* themselves. Future Steam sale it is.
lol double standards.

timetokill said:

i feel something like this isnt really an issue of analog sticks, the problem is that you're manipulating 3d space. Precision is the same between an analog stick and a mouse. but you do have better 1:1 moving a cursor with a mouse than an analog but the keyword is imprecision.

but maybe its a design choice to have semi imprecise controls since you're essentially a geomancer and want to give a sense that you do have limitations.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Man, the level with lava was so good. I spent so much time messing around that I didn't realize for awhile the lava going down the volcano was very slowly forming a landbridge and was damn near a few inches off of connecting and lighting the trees/village on fire. I also fucked up changing the path of water and almost flooded a village out, I quickly made the water gel and was scooping it up as the town learned repel water, barely made it. This game is damn good so far.

saunderez

Special J said:
but maybe its a design choice to have semi imprecise controls since you're essentially a geomancer and want to give a sense that you do have limitations.
It absolutely is. When you are placing your giant ball of sand down its not just dropping on the spot. It pours. And it pours according to the flow rate which are the analog triggers. When you get a hang of the analog flow control its quite precise.

Top Bottom