• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Dust |OT| Eric Chahi is the new Molyneux

TimeLike

Seems to me like there are timers everywhere, and I REALLY dislike them. I feel like I'm constantly being rushed to send the villagers here and there and rushed to build this and that. I wish there was a way to turn them off. I just wanna chill and build stuff and relaxingly move my people about. The timers need to stay in challenge mode.

Timan

Developer
Someone should live stream playing this game. Some reason I feel the need to watch someone play it, than play it myself :p

Miggytronz

Emerson said:
People need to read, there are no real timers.

I love this game.

exactly this.

There are natural events that occur at certain times, there is no time limit on when you have to complete a level though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Phreaker said:
I haven't run into a timer yet - just something letting you know when the next tsunami is coming.

...that's a timer.

ksimm

I can't say that I have a real problem with the timers, it's not like you lose the game when they are up (unless of course it's your first village about to be wiped out) it simply let's you know a volcano is about to erupt or tsunami about to hit.

However, I do believe they are not needed. There are enough visual / audio clues to tell such events are about to take place, e.g a bloody great volcano blowing its top / massive wave rolling towards you and the little dudes blowing their repulsive pipes.

You certainly don't get timers for fire trees spewing so it begs the question, why the need for the others?

bathala

Banned
piratepwnsninja said:
Sorry for going Off-Topic, but finished already? How long did that take (and did you 100% it)?
100% the map, but missed 3 items

there is also a challenge mode. called Lantern. I haven't tried that yet

it took me 6hrs

I'm only a few levels in but the timers haven't bothered me. Ordinarily I get very irritated with time limits in games but it makes sense here.

bathala said:
100% the map, but missed 3 items

there is also a challenge mode. called Lantern. I haven't tried that yet

it took me 6hrs

Awesome. I'm good with that for a downloadable title.

Probably going to finish Bastion before I start From Dust or ITSP though. Will end up double dipping on all three.

As for the timers, it begs repeating since a lot of people think the levels have a time limit. They don't. Events happen when the timers hit zero, but they reset after the event.

This is an honest question...would you feel better if the timers were there but not visible, and you ended up sending a villager somewhere before a tsunami hit, only to have him wiped out because you didn't know it was going to happen? I'd honestly get more frustrated if that happened a few times with no way for me to know. I could see some better replacements for a physical timer in the world (waves start getting bigger, etc) but they'd still be timers, just not as artificial.

thetrin said:
...that's a timer.
But it doesn't always lead to fail states. In some cases it will, but I understand if one village is wiped out you can still salvage the mission with another village's people.

cackhyena

It's cool, but the camera controls are ass on the 360. The inability to customize that is killing it for me. Waiting for the PC version. It's making me want to get back into CIV 5, though.

TimeLike

I've put a couple hours into this game and you people saying there are no timers are crazy. There is always a timer and the one timer I failed sent me back to an unskippable cutscene. It's ridiculous. The timers create a sense of tension that I just didn't want in this type of game. There's no way to just relax and build bridges and explore. You are constantly on a timed mission.

cackhyena

Another thing I dislike are the cutscenes. Let me just watch it in real time. I don't want control taken away from me when that stuff goes down. Jeeeeeeez.

Stitch

Gold Member
So I'm playing the 360 demo because the asshats from Ubisoft delayed the PC version and uhhh yeah, the controls suck ass. Also why are there only 2 camera options? Option 1 is too close and option 2 is too far away... great.

And maybe that's just the art style but it looks really blurry to me. Or maybe it's sub-HD? There are also lot's of jaggies. Really not the prettiest game.

Meh, still interested in this and i hope the PC version will be better. And i hope it won't have shitty Ubisoft DRM. If it has then I hope someone burns down their Office. :)

cackhyena said:
It's cool, but the camera controls are ass on the 360. The inability to customize that is killing it for me. Waiting for the PC version. It's making me want to get back into CIV 5, though.
I definitely made a mistake buying it. I loved the mechanics of the world and just assumed I'd get used to the camera controls. But sadly no.

And i realise that whether the timers are proper timers or not is irrelevant for me; they really stopped me having fun in the world, and i really was enjoying it. I actually this I have more fun with the sandbox nature of the terra-forming than actually playing a game. Just seeing "what happens if I do this".

Its an excellent game, and will more than likely double dip now and being able to zoom with a mouse wheel and be more accurate would make this game even better

Darkgran

I am really disappointed in the camera control in this game. I have 2 camera angles? Really?

In a game like this you need to have precise control of the camera. Great game other than that.

Wildfires is destroying me. The water trees do pretty much fuck all to stop the fire, and they die as soon as they release the water....?

TimeLike said:
I've put a couple hours into this game and you people saying there are no timers are crazy. There is always a timer and the one timer I failed sent me back to an unskippable cutscene. It's ridiculous. The timers create a sense of tension that I just didn't want in this type of game. There's no way to just relax and build bridges and explore. You are constantly on a timed mission.
Ugh, maybe it's possible to mod it out. But I guess it will break the game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Visualante said:
Ugh, maybe it's possible to mod it out. But I guess it will break the game.

Is the issue the fact that there is a timer on the screen, or that an event always happens at an interval?

If the problem is the latter, then yes. The entire basis of the game is to shore up defenses against natural disasters that happen, like tidal waves/volcano eruptions/floods/etc.

Would you rather have these events happen randomly? It would be far more frustrating if they were randomly occurring if you ask me.

Mindlog

Bungieware said:
Wildfires is destroying me. The water trees do pretty much fuck all to stop the fire, and they die as soon as they release the water....?
I just made fire lines.

I got to play Tides. The person that was having trouble with it and tried to tell me what to do. Ignoring that advice I slowly got all 4 totems. Then I noted where the cities could be moved to make everything easier without needing to spam the last power. I was cruising to a casualty free victory when... A village is on fire. Next time I play I am grabbing the first totem and power. Then I am going to clear every single fire tree off the damn map.

RE: Timers
I have only had to worry about them when I am trying to accomplish a sub-goal. The game is mostly in a state of balance until I change something. Then I have to return it to that balance as quickly as possible. I normally take my sweet time and set everything up beforehand.

The tough timers are the ones you do not see and may fail to pay attention to. Is that vegetation growing towards that fire tree? Will that fertile ground sprout new fire trees? Are you monitoring that lava flow?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, just going to reiterate what others are saying. If you would mod the effects of the timers out then you don't have a game anymore, and if you make them not display then you'll randomly see the tide change or a tsunami come and take your people away. In all the levels I've played so far there hasn't been x time until you lose, it's always something occurring and you can take as long as you want to do everything.

cackhyena said:
Another thing I dislike are the cutscenes. Let me just watch it in real time. I don't want control taken away from me when that stuff goes down. Jeeeeeeez.
Yeah I agree with this. Unfortunetly we live in the age of the idiot gamer who might be looking the wrong way and miss something big.

kaskade

I'm going to buy this when I get back home Monday. I played the demo and loved it though, diverting the rivers and everything is so awesome.

Mindlog

Bungieware said:
What's a fire line? Could you expand a bit because I'm really struggling there
Wherever you see a fire tree just isolate it. Dig to rock around them and they won't be able to set the vegetation ablaze.

The second volcano map put a dumb smile on my face :] I really liked that one.

TimeLike

Papercuts said:
Yeah, just going to reiterate what others are saying. If you would mod the effects of the timers out then you don't have a game anymore, and if you make them not display then you'll randomly see the tide change or a tsunami come and take your people away. In all the levels I've played so far there hasn't been x time until you lose, it's always something occurring and you can take as long as you want to do everything.
You can not take as long as you want to do things. There is always a timer on the screen. Whether it's three minutes to build a village or two minutes to get people from A to B it's always there, and if you fail, game over. Yes they are countdowns to events, but they're timers nonetheless. Three minutes until a game ending tsunami is still a stupid timer. That's just how the game is and it's not what I was hoping for.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
TimeLike said:
You can not take as long as you want to do things. There is always a timer on the screen. Whether it's three minutes to build a village or two minutes to get people from A to B it's always there, and if you fail, game over. Yes they are countdowns to events, but they're timers nonetheless. Three minutes until a game ending tsunami is still a stupid timer. That's just how the game is and it's not what I was hoping for.

Reviewers already have complained that there aren't enough objectives or challenges. I can think of no other way to incorporate them in a game like this than the natural disasters. If you keep them, you need the time countdowns. It would be stupid without them.

Really what you're saying is you want a sandbox mode, which is another issue.

I'm in a hotel room away from my Xbox, with only an iPad to amuse me. I wish there was something like From Dust on the iPad, it would be such a great fit.

Emerson said:
Reviewers already have complained that there aren't enough objectives or challenges. I can think of no other way to incorporate them in a game like this than the natural disasters. If you keep them, you need the time countdowns. It would be stupid without them.

Really what you're saying is you want a sandbox mode, which is another issue.
I haven't played this yet, but if the natural disasters came about as a result of your own godly actions that would satisfy the timer issue for me.

Arbitrary timers meant to add tension just end up annoying me. Now, if I can choose to take an action that will cause a natural disaster as a side effect, than its something I can prepare for and have some ownership over. Gods do tend to upset equilibrium when they get involved in things and it would seem to fit into the mold of the gameplay I've seen.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
NullPointer said:
I haven't played this yet, but if the natural disasters came about as a result of your own godly actions that would satisfy the timer issue for me.

Arbitrary timers meant to add tension just end up annoying me. Now, if I can choose to take an action that will cause a natural disaster as a side effect, than its something I can prepare for and have some ownership over. Gods do tend to upset equilibrium when they get involved in things and it would seem to fit into the mold of the gameplay I've seen.

I think that would be cool, but there isn't really a mechanism for it to happen in this game.

They have to strike a balance. Do it this way and you upset the people on GAF who are okay with buying a 15 dollar sandbox, do it the other way and others are mad that there's no objective to the gameplay.

I just really don't think anyone should be writing this game off because it has "timers" in it, as if they have some sort of allergic reaction to seeing numbers on the screen. Those who suggested taking the timer out but leaving the gameplay the same either haven't played it or are nuts because that would be horrible. You'd have no idea when a disaster was coming. But if you play it and don't like it, fair enough.

Anybody know whether the trial version is a decent representation of the game? Just so I can find out if this is timer-annoying or timer-challenging?

Eh. I'll give it the trial a shot regardless. I am a sucker for playing God.

jgkspsx

I found the controls, and to a certain extent the physics, really frustrating. It's really cool, and I'm sure some people will love it, but it's not for me.

REV 09

i really liked the demo, but i could only imagine how gorgeous the game would be on pc and how much better it will control. I'll wait for that version, but i'll probably pick up Bastion on 360.

saunderez

NullPointer said:
Anybody know whether the trial version is a decent representation of the game? Just so I can find out if this is timer-annoying or timer-challenging?

Eh. I'll give it the trial a shot regardless. I am a sucker for playing God.
The timer is only really bad in the first real level where you have to race to get the relic to avoid the tsunami. After you get the hang of mitigating the disasters you can ignore the timer. The disaster still happens every 3 minutes or whatever, but you've already protected your villages so you can do other stuff.

JambiBum

I was playing the trial and decided to see what would happen if I dropped water on top of the village. The villagers surprisingly didn't die, but instead got knocked around by the water. They all stayed on land so they didn't meet the same fate as one of their friends.

I was sending a villager to get the tsunami idol when he got swept away. He got the idol but instead of going back the way he came he went a different route and paid with his life. He got swept into the ocean and I tried to save him by building land but the ocean was just too deep. Didn't have enough time to save his village so they all died. End of trial. Fun times.

ultron87

Hey, From Dust (and every XBLA game) if I play your whole trial and I use the "Unlock this game" option at the end, save my damn progress!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the villagers are really dumb (pathfinding mainly). grrrrrr

Gaspode_T

op_ivy said:
the villagers are really dumb (pathfinding mainly). grrrrrr

I was actually shocked when they started walking towards the first "Bridge" I built because it wasn't what I thought was even half done but they managed to walk across it somehow, I am anyway hoping that the pathfinding would be more about protecting them from doing harm to themselves. At least it's not like Swarm where the mission apparently is to just minimize your losses instead of being able to protect everyone

Top Bottom