• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Dust |OT| Eric Chahi is the new Molyneux

Will try the demo and if the controls are ok on console, i may go for that instead of waiting for it on PC.
But i've still got Bastion and Infamous2 to finish first

controls are ok on console, maps are small so you don't have problems pointing and clicking around and the analogic triggers make the release of materia very accurate.

Wow at the physics... i detour a river and the water slowly build a mouth similar to nile!
But i'm still afraid about longevity

HolyTaco

Just started playing, love it so far. Great physics and the little rewards like unlocking memories for playing around with the environment are nice.

piratepwnsninja said:
Sorry for going Off-Topic, but finished already? How long did that take (and did you 100% it)?

I don't know if it's still available, but a lot of us were able to buy the game early through microsoftstore.com yesterday.

Mdk7

BigNastyCurve said:
I don't know if it's still available, but a lot of us were able to buy the game early through microsoftstore.com yesterday.
And i sincerely hate you for that. U_U
J/K... btw how good is it?

Miggytronz

This game is so much fun. I like the suspense in trying to keep your natives alive from natural events. It just keeps you on edge especially in the later levels.

eshwaaz

The only thing keeping me from buying this is that many reviews mention how frustratingly difficult the game gets in the later stages. Harsh, white-knuckle challenge is not really what I want from a game like this.

BigNastyCurve said:

Yeah, I bought both From Dust and ITSP last night from there, just haven't played either yet because I started Bastion finally.

eshwaaz said:
The only thing keeping me from buying this is that many reviews mention how frustratingly difficult the game gets in the later stages. Harsh, white-knuckle challenge is not really what I want from a game like this.
True, although if there's a sandbox mode, that would make up for that

I'm still a little cautious, just because of Brad Shoemaker on the Bombcast mentioning that the controls can feel imprecise at times. Demo seems the way to go. Hopefully it will allay my fears

Mdk7

eshwaaz said:
That's not true.
Maybe only the very last mission is kinda hard, and 3-4 challenges out of 30.
It's by no means a frustratingly hard game.

Red

TheOddOne said:
How the hell did people get Insanely Twisted so fast?
A few of us nabbed From Dust and ITSP early last night. Deal's gone now. I'm looking forward to playing both after work.

eshwaaz

Mdk7 said:
That's not true.
Maybe only the very last mission is kinda hard, and 3-4 challenges out of 30.
It's by no means a frustratingly hard game.
Encouraging to hear a different opinion. Challenges are optional, I assume?

TheOddOne

Crunched said:
A few of us nabbed From Dust and ITSP early last night. Deal's gone now. I'm looking forward to playing both after work.
Man, I'm gonna boycot the game now because I have to wait a week.

:p

Shurs

TheOddOne said:
How the hell did people get Insanely Twisted so fast?

The Microsoft Store put a ITSP, From Dust and Fruit Ninja up early.

I nabbed From Dust and ITSP. Each game came with a free copy of The Maw.

They eventually realized their error and took ITSP and Fruit Ninja down.

HolyTaco

BigNastyCurve said:

Damn it. Microsoft store is down, not opening again till 2012 D:

Was going for the cheev for finishing story mode without killing any villagers, so far so good... Then I hovered near a village with some lava and fried them all :(

Mdk7

tjohn86 said:
Can someone tell me how to transplant trees? Its driving me insane.
If you mean the ones with fire/water power... you can do it only in certain stages, not in EVERY mission.

tjohn86

LiK said:
They tell you in the game. LT and RT. o_O

If I pick up a tree that way it is gone when I put it down with RT.

Maybe I don't understand how it works, I thought I could transplant trees to different areas of the map to increase growth.

Scotch

Really like the demo, but not enough to settle for the 360 version. The controls aren't bad but I don't feel quite as 'in control' as I do with a mouse and keyboard.

LiK

tjohn86 said:

Maybe I don't understand how it works, I thought I could transplant trees to different areas of the map to increase growth.
What type of tree? I noticed that when I submerge the fire trees in water they die and shrink into some weird ball with roots.

Mdk7

tjohn86 said:

Nope.
You can transplant specific trees later on.

To increase growth, just throw some sand over the areas with trees... and then keep adding sand in border areas, so that the vegetation actually spreads basically everywhere.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
eshwaaz said:
Unless you are trying to 100% each map, this game isn't that difficult really. Going for 100% vegetation can be very tough on water based maps because of the erosion.

Mikasangelos said:
I really wish this game had online co-op with even bigger maps.
Well they did say they'd think about doing a multiplayer update if the game sold well enough. Also, a full blown level editor. I wouldn't hold my breath but you never know. I agree, co-op would be a lot of fun.

Mindlog

Papercuts said:
Man, the level with lava was so good. I spent so much time messing around that I didn't realize for awhile the lava going down the volcano was very slowly forming a landbridge and was damn near a few inches off of connecting and lighting the trees/village on fire.
That's exactly what was happening in my game. I carefully gave the mountain a new spine that curved out to sea.The gap between that town and the new mountain was tiny. There was just enough room for the bay to get fresh water and the lava kept flowing out to sea forming a new shelf.

I may be making generous use of Fraps and Time Lapse when the game hits PC.

LQX

Demo was great but the fact you cant restart if you know things are not going well or skip scenes after failing is frustrating.

Also for game this simple in design its bummer the graphics and especially water is not better. I know its a XBLA game but still. Would have been compelled to get it even at the 1200 point more than any game this year but will wait for the PC version which I hope looks better.

TheOddOne

I have a splitting headace right now so its not the right time to play this game, played a bit of it though just for the new car smell. I dislike timers.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
loving it! really like the way a tsunami reshapes the landscape. cant wait to put in more time
with it

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
TheOddOne said:
I have a splitting headace right now so its not the right time to play this game, played a bit of it though just for the new car smell. I dislike timers.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through, and every timer I've encountered has been a soft timer. The game isn't over if it flips, you just lose some progress from whatever disaster triggered... you can still recover.

As a matter of fact, in the later levels, there are constant disasters on timers that you have to contend with. It's a key part of the design.

So, no, levels aren't timed.

TheOddOne

FlyinJ said:
I'm about 3/4 of the way through, and every timer I've encountered has been a soft timer. The game isn't over if it flips, you just lose some progress from whatever disaster triggered... you can still recover.

As a matter of fact, in the later levels, there are constant disasters on timers that you have to contend with. It's a key part of the design.

So, no, levels aren't timed.
Yeah, somebody before in the thread explained it. Still, seeing the timer makes me a little bit annoyed, more a pet peeve of myself.

ksimm

I think it's fantastic, so relaxing and a breath of fresh air.

I love the whole organic feel, the way the water carves out a wall of sand, just when you think you have it built high enough a leak springs. Watching lakes of lava shape the land, hitting the water an cooling, there's just nothing like it. I really hope they add to the game, be it DLC or sequel as it would be a shame to end it here. I think I must be about half way through the game, I would love a map editor / sandbox also.

A big part of me wants more interaction with the people, and city building but I have to enjoy it for what it is I guess, and not be greedy!
Control wise I was a bit worried as a seasoned keyb & mouse player I prefer my PC games, but they are not bad at all. I would prefer zooming in with the mouse wheel naturally but you have to make do with the tools you are given...

The graphics are rather good, a little blurry as others have mentioned, and a bit of tearing here and there - technically fluid dynamic wise it's beautiful.

I can't wait to try on my new baby I7 2600K though. :)

Top Bottom