• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Dust |OT| Eric Chahi is the new Molyneux

Torraz

Didn't even realize that this push back would put the release so close to xenoblade and deus ex. Thank for the info, totally forgot that those games would be released so soon! Confirmed steam sale for from dust then.

U2NUMB

Just watched the Giant Bomb video.. wow this game looks good. My only question is and I hope it has not been answered but is there a mode with no time limit? I tend to really not enjoy games that have a countdown and from what I could tell this game has it all over the place.

I think it would be fun to just mess around with the physics so a free range mode would be awesome. Either way I am buying to support this great looking game.

taoofjord

zoner said:
I'm not mad at the delay. It's now coming out when I'll be playing something else, so I'm not going to buy it.

What's with you? You think you're cool because of this? It comes down to this, if you really wanted the game you'd buy it eventually, whether that's in three weeks or not. Making an immature stance like this, of which I'm assuming is just a front for gaf, is really pathetic.

Anyway, I can't wait for this. It's hard to believe that we're finally getting another game by Eric Chahi.

StuBurns

Banned
Blimblim said:
I don't think the PC version has ever been shown, so no one knows how well it will control. The controls on the 360 are as good as it gets though.
I seriously doubt that. It's taking after games that were designed around a kbm interface, you're essentially moving a cursor.

Red

StuBurns said:
I seriously doubt that. It's taking after games that were designed around a kbm interface, you're essentially moving a cursor.
Viva Pinata worked pretty well. And the analog triggers are a big plus as posted above.

I'm guessing a similar scheme could be made with a scroll wheel. Either way, this delay sucks. I just now read about it after getting excited to buy on Steam.

Looks good enough to double dip, I guess.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
StuBurns said:

Pretty sure he meant "as good as it gets for xbox."

Avocado

taoofjord said:
What's with you? You think you're cool because of this? It comes down to this, if you really wanted the game you'd buy it eventually, whether that's in three weeks or not. Making an immature stance like this, of which I'm assuming is just a front for gaf, is really pathetic.

Anyway, I can't wait for this. It's hard to believe that we're finally getting another game by Eric Chahi.

I'm pretty sure he will buy it.

Can't wait to dive into this tomorrow, on the 360. Kind of snuck up on me. Those quotes from the Edge review have me even more hyped!

U2NUMB said:
Just watched the Giant Bomb video.. wow this game looks good. My only question is and I hope it has not been answered but is there a mode with no time limit? I tend to really not enjoy games that have a countdown and from what I could tell this game has it all over the place.

I think it would be fun to just mess around with the physics so a free range mode would be awesome. Either way I am buying to support this great looking game.
My understanding is once you've finished a level, you can go back and screw around as long as you want.

Gvaz

Banned
wutwutwut said:
My girlfriend pointed me at the game as the reason she wanted to get back into gaming (and created a Steam account in anticipation), and now I'm incredibly excited about it. I only wish I could co-op with her :(
What's stopping you?

Wag

I'll wait for the PC version, thank you very much. Who has the cheapest price right now? I know GreenMan Gaming is pretty cheap, but I don't know if I want to rely on their server for PC games being I'm in the US.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
taoofjord said:

Are you seriously getting this upset over this? I simply stated that I will not be buying it then because there will be other things out at that time that I would rather play. You know what's really pathetic? Someone thinking someone's trying to be cool by not showing interest in something. God forbid that they're just not that interested in it. Grow up.

LiK

Sterling's Bastion review was atrocious. Gonna skip reading this and any other future ones from him.

see5harp

DevelopmentArrested said:
He is the Armond White of Videogame reviewers.

The only difference, I suppose, is that I somehow respect Armond White because at least he seems to justify his opinion. I enjoy reading a well written Armond White troll. All Jim Sterling inpires is incredible disdain and rage from me.

mxgt

Banned
Why does Sterling have a job?

The sad thing is people actually make decisions on game purchases because of his 'reviews' in the comments.

mxgt said:
Why does Sterling have a job?

The sad thing is people actually make decisions on game purchases because of his 'reviews' in the comments.

He's such an annoying fuck. Contributes absolutely nothing to the site.

The player's only real input is in moving bits of a level and telling Men which stone or totem to activate. The rest of the time, you're just watching your Men potter about doing nothing much or anything at all, or unhurriedly traversing the map en route to a destination.
This game puts you in charge of the very earth itself, yet robs you of the small, more important, interactions. If ever a game could make one feel like a God bound in chains, then From Dust is it.
There is no consistent "fun" factor, as it straddles the line carelessly between crushingly slow and frantically stressful. If it's not making you pick up and drop lava repeatedly to build a wall, it's tossing multiple forest fires at you without warning. The game loves to throw delicate balancing acts at the player, but that's really the only challenge it could ever hope to accomplish. I don't know if it's possible to make the game interesting without these moments of ludicrous stress, due to the limitations imposed on the player and the sheer lack of appreciable content.
There are many missed opportunities in From Dust's quest for simplicity. Plant life grows and it attracts animals, but to what end? No end. Villages are built, Men multiply, but they don't really do anything... They exist merely as tools -- unreliable ones at that -- in order to progress from level to level

Exactly what I was afraid of. Despite the cool tech the actual game seems way too limited and simple, ultimately relying on time pressure scenarios to deliver challenge.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Is this Jim Sterling guy a retarded person or something? What an idiot.

Also the "Sim City meets Lemmings" analogy has got to be one of the worst I've ever heard.

Confidence Man said:
Exactly what I was afraid of. Despite the cool tech the actual game seems way too limited and simple, ultimately relying on time pressure scenarios to deliver challenge.

If you're in this game for challenge or objectives/"gameplay" then you are in it for the wrong reason. The way to enjoy this game is to play around in the physics sandbox.

codhand

Sterling wakes up in the morning, looks in the mirror, counts how many of chins he has, and uses that as his score.

Confidence Man said:

I like how you pulled every quote from the Destructoid review to come to this conclusion.
I don't like how you made me actually give a hit to that site just to verify most of those quotes.

so August 17th for PC and PSN?

Or is this game going to have a different release date for each platform? That would be sucky and ridiculous.

Your timed-exclusivity with MS is fine, Ubi. Just give me a damn date for the PSN version! -_-

Twinduct

Again I suggest that destructiod is banned from neogaf.
It's not because they give low scores, but because they give bad scores for hits.

Top Bottom