• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Dust |OT| Eric Chahi is the new Molyneux

Gaspode_T

Calling this a puzzler is like calling Pikmin a puzzler, doesn't really make sense to me. The mode people are talking about is a mode where you have to protect and grow your villagers (story mode)

Had to decide whether I wanted to get From Dust or Bastion today. Decided to go with From Dust for now. (Will get Bastion later though.) Really liking what I've heard of it so far, but haven't played it yet so I'll give impressions later.

Carcetti

There's some weird-ass ideas about this game going around. I'm in the 2nd last level now, and haven't come across any really 'puzzly' puzzles, most of the stuff is common sense using the physics. The timers aren't really normal timers where you game over at the end either, since they usually just have a tsunami or a volcano come in like every 3 minutes and you have to work between those. And when the disaster comes you might lose a village or something but at the same time go 'whoa, that's a beautiful wave'.

TheKyle07

I've encountered a glitch in this game which has made it unplayable for me.

From the center of the map appears an expanding square void. All the graphics within the void disappear, leaving nothing but a flat gray texture. The void expands slowly across the map, and when it reaches my cursor, the whole screen turns blue. The game continues to play; text boxes still appear and I can hear the people walking to the totem. When they trigger a cutscene, it will still play but with most of the graphics not visible. When it returns to gameplay the screen turns blue again and I have no choice but to restart the level.

I cannot play more than a few minutes of this game without this glitch occurring. I have deleted the game from my hard drive and re-downloaded it from Xbox Live. I managed to beat the first level, but the glitch emerged again in level two. It has happened six times now without fail.

Hope PS3 release isn't too far away, watched some videos and read the IGN review this morning before I left for work and was quite impressed.

Loving this game so far. The physics are ridiculous. Since when can we do shit like this in games? I just flooded an entire map without the framerate ever dropping and all of it's flowing and interacting with eachother and plants growing anywhere. This is the kind of game that wouldn't have been possible last-gen.

bathala

Banned
Wow that second to the last stage is fucking stupid.
who creates a tribe in a crater and surrounded by volcanoes. yeah i know its game

but the final level made up for it :D

Avocado

Backfoggen said:
Loving this game so far. The physics are ridiculous. Since when can we do shit like this in games? I just flooded an entire map without the framerate ever dropping and all of it's flowing and interacting with eachother and plants growing anywhere. This is the kind of game that wouldn't have been possible last-gen.

Have you tried Populous: The Beginning? I was very impressed by what you could do(with cheats for all spells) at the time. I still am to be honest.

kyo_daikun said:
Hope PS3 release isn't too far away, watched some videos and read the IGN review this morning before I left for work and was quite impressed.

Summer of Arcade. Normally they have a minimum 3 month exclusive window no?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
God damn it. I hate it when I finish a demo and it makes me play the demo section again.

TheKyle07 said:
I've encountered a glitch in this game which has made it unplayable for me.

From the center of the map appears an expanding square void. All the graphics within the void disappear, leaving nothing but a flat gray texture. The void expands slowly across the map, and when it reaches my cursor, the whole screen turns blue. The game continues to play; text boxes still appear and I can hear the people walking to the totem. When they trigger a cutscene, it will still play but with most of the graphics not visible. When it returns to gameplay the screen turns blue again and I have no choice but to restart the level.

I cannot play more than a few minutes of this game without this glitch occurring. I have deleted the game from my hard drive and re-downloaded it from Xbox Live. I managed to beat the first level, but the glitch emerged again in level two. It has happened six times now without fail.
Can you capture this on video? Not that I don't believe you, I just want to see this madness for myself.

bathala

Banned
oh wow that final stage.

I thought I was just going to enjoy some relaxing sandbox stage.

this game and its bullshit. all the stuff I made down the drain.

EDIT: well finished it. just made huge ass mountains

zethren

Banned
I played the demo for what was probably 3 hours.

Just diverting rivers and creating new ones.

Man, it gets really difficult to create new river branches off of the existing ones, but damn is it worth it when they work. Love the physics. They even slowly cut away at the land. Awesome stuff.

Billen

Banned
Mrbob said:
Here is a link to the Rock Paper Shotgun impressions:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/27/from-dust-review/

I tried the demo today and it was alright. Graphics really are a bit muddy and while the controls are functional, they do seem a bit cumbersome since the camera is positioned too high. Going to wait on the PC version to see if key/mouse clears up some control issues.

Demo? DEMO? There is a DEMO? Actually going to try this out, and I have access to the BF3 alpha. :D

Thanks, MrBoob.

Phreaker

thetrin said:
...that's a timer.

To me a timer in a level is "you must do this before this clock runs down or you fail". I am 3/4 through the game have not run into that yet. I take my time on the levels. I spent like 1.5 hours messing around on the level where the tides come in before completing it. I wanted to see if I could build up enough land that it didn't matter when the tide came in, and I did. :) Love this game!

Orayn

I wached the Quick Look for this game on Giant Bomb and really, really liked what I saw. Chahi's a great guy who's done some very good things for video games in general, so he and Ubisoft have my $15 as soon as this comes out on Steam.

Almak

Just finished the campaign. My overall impression is mostly a very positive one. There are a few things left to be desired.
For example the AI pathfinding can be somewhat baffling at times, when the people would attempt to scale a sheer cliff, when right next to it (quite literally right freaking next to it) is the gentle sand covered slope I made for them.
However everything else is so very good! The interaction of elements with each other, the different puzzles that interaction presents, the range of powers and the variety of ways you can apply them oh and the last level of course. That was a lot of fun.
You guys who are holding off to get this on PC are in for a real treat I think. This game will look absolutely spectacular there.

Red

overcast said:
Think I'll go for Bastion before this one. Though this does interest me. I'll get around to it soon.
None of the games will beat Bastion. Likely no other DD game this year.

But From Dust is very good, and you still have Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet to look forward to.

AEREC said:
Uplay is not the problem...thats just Ubi's rewards program which is not invasive at all.

What Uplay are you talking about? Have you actually played an ubisoft game with the ingenious Uplay?

Lima

hearsaybear said:
What Uplay are you talking about? Have you actually played an ubisoft game with the ingenious Uplay?

It is not bothering on console. You just get a pop up every now and then when you earned uplay points.

Lima said:
It is not bothering on console. You just get a pop up every now and then when you earned uplay points.

To each his own I guess. I know it annoyed the heck out of me in AC:B on 360...and I know that after playing from dust it would definitely be a nuisance to have more things popping up, notifications/achievements are even too much sometimes.

Sidebar: Has anyone had an audio glitch when you receive a notification? It's happened to me twice, where in the middle of the music someone signs on, then the game hitches for half a second and the sound doesn't come back until the next level. It has happened right at the end of the level (different levels) both times so it's not as if I was sitting in silence for ten minutes or anything, was maybe 30 seconds at max. First time I've seen a game do that though.

Lmao I just had an underwater cutscene. It was the closest thing ever. The five dudes got there just in time for me to spam the A button and my evaporation power JUST ended and the whole area got flooded.

Gah! The analog controls on the 360 are pretty annoying and hard to pin-point locations to deposit sand and stuff. I imagine the PC controls would be much friendlier - point, click drag and drop sand.

Red

teruterubozu said:
Gah! The analog controls on the 360 are pretty annoying and hard to pin-point locations to deposit sand and stuff. I imagine the PC controls would be much friendlier - point, click drag and drop sand.
Yes, but you lose analog triggers.

Not sure how they'll compensate for that. Maybe something like, hold right mouse button for pick up, left for drop, and mouse wheel for adjusting amounts?

TheKyle07 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAZ_M-TwHr4

Does anyone know why this is happening? I've deleted the game twice now but it still continues to occur.
That is horrible and awesome. The end times!

Lima

hearsaybear said:
Sidebar: Has anyone had an audio glitch when you receive a notification? It's happened to me twice, where in the middle of the music someone signs on, then the game hitches for half a second and the sound doesn't come back until the next level. It has happened right at the end of the level (different levels) both times so it's not as if I was sitting in silence for ten minutes or anything, was maybe 30 seconds at max. First time I've seen a game do that though.

Yes this happened to me in the opening cutscene. Sound just dropped. But remember this is a Ubisoft game. Happens with almost every other game from them. Assassin's Creed is particularly bad.

Red

Kind of off topic, but is anyone planning on an Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet OT? I don't know where to talk about that game, and it's something I'd like to discuss, especially since some of us here have completed it by now.

Like for instance: anyone else get horrible slowdown whenever there are a lot of enemies on-screen? Strange that a game so apparently simple-looking would tax the system.

chris121580

Crunched said:
Kind of off topic, but is anyone planning on an Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet OT? I don't know where to talk about that game, and it's something I'd like to discuss, especially since some of us here have completed it by now.

Like for instance: anyone else get horrible slowdown whenever there are a lot of enemies on-screen? Strange that a game so apparently simple-looking would tax the system.
If you've completed it, I'm stuck and need help. Regarding the big red diamond:
I've already gotten all 4 light beams touching the blue diamond up above and it's now shooting a red beam down into the red diamond. I went and retrieved the laser add-on and have returned back to the red diamond and am not sure what to do at this point. I shoot the laser at the crystal sticking out of the red diamond but nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Red

chris121580 said:
If you've completed it, I'm stuck and need help. Regarding the big red diamond:
I've already gotten all 4 light beams touching the blue diamond up above and it's now shooting a red beam down into the red diamond. I went and retrieved the laser add-on and have returned back to the red diamond and am not sure what to do at this point. I shoot the laser at the crystal sticking out of the red diamond but nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Have you
gone to the upper right of the ice map? There is a secluded area which is unfrozen, and a piece of the red crystal is in there. You need to retrieve it and put it into the broken part of the larger crystal. Scan around the room to figure out how to retrieve it, because it's slightly more complicated than just going in and picking it up.

This is the type of talk I think would be better suited to an ITSP OT, but I don't know if anyone is planning on making one. And the game sort of came out of nowhere for me... I think the last I heard of it was in '07, forgot completely what it was until the early deal. So I'm probably not the best candidate to create the thread, unless people are okay with something very barebones.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just completed tears of stone, my favorite map yet. my villagers had learned the power to turn fire/lava, so i ignored the left most villages as they were encircled in the red stuff and focused on manipulating the water to get the right most totem occupied...

fast forward 15 minutes or so and i check on those villages and they are entirely surrounded by a massive wall of black rock as the lava cooled! so fucking awesome.

also, unlimited earth, though not in this particular map, is insanely rad. would be cool to revisit the maps with whichever powers you chose to play around with. wouldnt mind having an "unlimited _____" for all the elements too.

op_ivy

really wish there was a screen shot option. i would really love to compare maps and see how different they are, "emergence" especially.

Miggytronz

ultron87 said:
Are there only X Water Trees per map or can you get/grow more of them somehow?

the more palm tree areas you grow the more of those Water Trees and Bomb Trees are grown i believe.

Salsa

c9cd77fe70029b1a015537366a1c588392216539.PNG

yeahhh booiiii

op_ivy

just beat it - and loved it! i'll echo the thoughts about the second to last level being a bitch, and those that say the final level makes it all worth while.

for a sequel i'd like to see a few more tools at your disposal. in addition to picking up and dumping materials, how about a way to smooth things out to make flat areas simply? or how about a button to push materials around? it seems most of the issues from dust's ai villagers have with pathfinding is due to the uneven terrain, and this would go a long ways to making it work better.

it would also be cool to also have rival tribes in which you have to use forces of nature to dispose of ala populus. maybe even some sort of MP component where you get to unleash these powers at each other.

Almak

Mikasangelos said:
the more palm tree areas you grow the more of those Water Trees and Bomb Trees are grown i believe.
I got the impression that there is only a set number of any specific tree type per map.

Edit: You can loose them though, if you're not careful, or intentionally. Or they could turn into seeds and loose their potential under some conditions. I believe that in that event they can grow back, but only as a single tree, they don't proliferate.

Top Bottom