• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Dust |OT| Eric Chahi is the new Molyneux

Nessus

Are there animals in the finished game?

From what I've seen the levels look fairly lifeless except for the villagers and plants.

Micerider

Nessus said:
Are there animals in the finished game?

From what I've seen the levels look fairly lifeless except for the villagers and plants.

Well, you have to grow vegetation to attract animals (they won't come until you have reached a certain porportion of vegetation on the map). Vegetation simply grows as soon as you have a village with fertile earth nearby (extending progressively). Can be very tricky as maps with Firetrees might screw you hard if you grow vegetation next to them, burning everything up to you village (if you don't take some precautions).

Phreaker

Robot Pants said:
So.. worth 15 bucks?

It was to me. I really enjoyed it and I haven't even fished the challenge stages, just the campaign. I can see that it will not be everyone's cup of tea though (no guns).

Phreaker

I'm gathering it's doing well on XBL. It was in the top 20 (#20) of Live games for the week of August 1st and #1 for Arcade.

MNC

MNC said:
Yeah sorry. but since there was talk about it and all.. It's not steamworks, it's about GMG's Capsule. But we've had cross client/site/DD service conversation in this thread before.

Also

zoopzoop

wc1Ha.jpg

Pdvj4.jpg

TJ5HM.jpg

951pk.jpg

There's no display options at all, save for the resolution and refresh rate :/
Strangely enough, it did display my graphics card in the options, in a way that meant I would be able to switch through graphics card, if I had multiple of them. Mouse control with the "Breath" (your cursor) feels odd, like an RTS camera. If you stay near the edge of the screen, your cursor keeps moving. Other than that I get a solid 30 fps on my laptop on "full".
Some quick first impressions.

Scotch

I'll be interested in hearing more impressions. I kinda still wanna buy it because I have nothing else to play right now, but reading some of the stuff on QT3 makes me hesitant.

Cimarron

Finished the campaign last night. AWESOME GAME! I guess it's on to the challenges now. Are they good or are they just lessons in trying to piss you off as some challenge modes are?

InertiaXr

Visualante said:
Leaked and cracked it seems. smh Ubisoft, reduction in piracy my ass.

I don't know of any game ever that hasn't been cracked that people care about, Ubisoft and every other publishers DRM only ever effects paying customers. Apparently there isn't even a 'new' crack for From Dust, it's just the same crack from the Heroes VI beta. I wonder if Ubisoft is so oblivious that they don't even know that that beta was cracked, and used literally the exact same DRM in From Dust?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Brewster's Wallet said:
Haven't played it since I got frustrated with the first level where there is lava.

All i need to know is if the PC controls are good and i may double dip.

I am picking it up today off steam. It is interesting to note that they recommend using a gamepad.

AEREC

MNC said:
Some quick first impressions.

hmm...doesnt sound too good..I have the xbox version and while I like the game, the controls are cumbersome, so I preordered the Steam version thinking this is the type of game meant for the PC.

But if they really suggest a gamepad over a mouse for the PC version then this game is screwed, also those images looks just they do on the xbox...was hoping for some IQ settings or something.

Sectus

Just installed the PC version and played it for one minute... framerate is locked to 30fps :|

Controls are the same as on consoles and you control the "snake" instead of a mouse pointer :|

This is a stupidly lazy horrible PC port.

mxgt

Banned
Sectus said:
Just installed the PC version and played it for one minute... framerate is locked to 30fps :|

Controls are the same as on consoles and you control the "snake" instead of a mouse pointer :|

What the fuck Ubisoft

smh

Astery

my quick impressions, haven't beat the game yet but i'm on about 3/4 in i guess.

- First of all, the game is enjoyable, level design is good, technically great but with some flaws
- Playing on PC, the controls feels janky, feeling like a control mapping straight port from the console version.
- The path finding of the AI...it's frustrating at times when they are stuck right in front of the goal building or some other places. This gets more frustrating at later stages where you are using all the skills to prevent them from dying from lava/ water and they just reward your hard work by getting stuck and screaming for help. They might not be able to find the best route you intended for them to get through, especially at times where they got washed away.

Mindlog

Cimarron said:
Finished the campaign last night. AWESOME GAME! I guess it's on to the challenges now. Are they good or are they just lessons in trying to piss you off as some challenge modes are?
There are a lot of fun puzzles with fairly obvious solutions. Some of them require more precise control (Drill.)

Skip Sacrifice -_-
Attempt the Sacrifice challenge when you are calm and have plenty of patience. Sacrifice is basically the final test on whether or not you have mastered the controls. It may take some time. After beating it I could not understand my trouble with the level.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sectus said:

Ugh, you can't be serious. Please tell me you're lying.

I was so excited for this game and really liked the Xbox demo, but hated its sluggish-ass controls.

If the mouse is just emulating the right analogue stick, then it's going to suck ass.

I was pumped to buy this today, but I think I'll wait and see if they patch it.

DoctorPayne said:
From Day 1 to Day Never. How fucking hard is it to put in a proper control scheme? Just embarrassing.

Same thing happened to me with Dungeon Siege 3. That shit was just infuriating. They didn't even try with that game. Just remapped control pad functions to various buttons on mouse and keyboard. Was pretty much unplayable without a 360 pad.

ASilva

Neo Member
Oh wow... Why do I even keep buying PC ports without trying them first. This is a TERRIBLE PC port...

-Controls are absolute crap, i'm sorry but they are.
-Locked 30 fps? REALLY?
-NO graphics options at all that i can find, there is no AA and i couldn't seem to force it through ncp either (didn't try much yet though)
-Menu assets and everything looks pretty bad in 1080p, all uprezzed

Aww man, and I was looking forward to this :/

ASilva said:
Oh wow... Why do I even keep buying PC ports without trying them first. This is a TERRIBLE PC port...

-Controls are absolute crap, i'm sorry but they are.
-Locked 30 fps? REALLY?
-NO graphics options at all that i can find, there is no AA and i couldn't seem to force it through ncp either (didn't try much yet though)
-Menu assets and everything looks pretty bad in 1080p, all uprezzed

Aww man, and I was looking forward to this :/

Well, I'll give them one thing, at least they made the decision of whether or not to buy it easy. One or two of those problems and I might have hemmed and hawed before caving, or getting it during a Steam sale. But managing to fill in every single field of the crappy port checklist? No thanks.

epmode

Sectus said:
Astounding. Fucking Ubi. I figured I'd be OK because the recent Assassin's Creed ports were good.

A locked framerate alone is usually enough to keep me away but Ubi managed to get other stuff wrong besides. I really regret this now.

mxgt

Banned
Glad I didn't pre order

If you can't make a decent PC port then you aren't getting my money. thanks ubi

ASilva

Neo Member
epmode said:
Astounding. Fucking Ubi. I figured I'd be OK because the recent Assassin's Creed ports were good.

A locked framerate alone is usually enough to keep me away but Ubi managed to get other stuff wrong besides. I really regret this now.

Not really... Brotherhood has (or had, dunno if it was fixed) some MAJOR flickering issues on a lot of graphics cards.

Oh, and another annoyance to add to the list. It's not a big deal but it doesn't make it OK either.
When you launch the game it launches a ubisoft pre-launch thing where you have to login into their Uplay crap and then launch the game...

semttuloeooq.jpg

AEREC

Damn...Just from reading this thread Im already regretting my purchase. I specifically got (steam preordered) the PC version for better controls and better visuals.

Well at least the PC version wont have any image tearing...hopefully.

LQX

Anyone that played both can give a decent comparison? Was waiting on the Steam version but there is no demo and hearing there is no graphics options is off putting as my only problems with the 360 version was that it did not look that great for being so simple.

Gav47

This game is a god damn bummer. Controls are bad, it looks bad on a 1080p monitor and there are no graphic options beyond choosing your res and refresh rate and oddly enough what graphics card you want the game to use. I recommend people wait it'll the Xmas sale on steam where it will probably be 7.50 and hopefully patched.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
FUUUUU I was so pumped, but reading this impressions changes this game from "buy soon" to "buy Steam sale <5€" :(

Fuck you Ubisoft and your stupid hatred of PC gamers.

Anilusion

AEREC said:
Damn...Just from reading this thread Im already regretting my purchase. I specifically got (steam preordered) the PC version for better controls and better visuals.

Well at least the PC version wont have any image tearing...hopefully

it does

02pheland

Neo Member
just loaded it up on pc and within the first minute all i could think was "why would you do this to me, do you know im using a mouse, what is wrong with ye people"

the pc controls are awful, i played the demo on xbox and it felt so much better and as a pc gamer mainly i dont often think that

Edit: using wasd and only using mouse for left and right click is a bit better but quite slow, i hope this is just something i have to get used to

It's a shame for you PC gamers as the game is really good and plays great (well on Xbox). Too bad they kinda had to screw you guys over on this one unfortunately. Though I'm still holding out hope it still keeps selling well and we get an announcement for some DLC.

AEREC

CrazedArabMan said:
It's a shame for you PC gamers as the game is really good and plays great (well on Xbox). Too bad they kinda had to screw you guys over on this one unfortunately. Though I'm still holding out hope it still keeps selling well and we get an announcement for some DLC.

Ya..it's playable on the 360, but it's just the type of game that could have benefited so much more from proper keyboard and mouse controls.

InertiaXr

Is the controller controls on computer alright? Obviously some people have been saying they were waiting for kb/m to play this, but if controller is still alright I can use my wireless 360 controller and buy this in the Steam Winter Sale for probably 2.50.

d0g_bear

I'm running a GTX 480 with D3doverrider, and I don't have any screen tearing or flickering. It is however, locked at 30fps. I havent played a game at 30fps in a while and damn is it janky

MNC

Visualante said:
Dunno what more there is to add? Ubisoft claim their DRM reduces piracy yet the game has leaked already. I fail to see how it reduces piracy.
Oh, in that way. I thought you meant that we were playing a cracked version.

Top Bottom