• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Dust |OT| Eric Chahi is the new Molyneux

Kafel

Banned
Zefah said:
Super Meat Boy, Trine, and Zeno Clash are "PC tailored" or "XBLIG" games?

Shareware-ish game (I loved it though), not released on 360, FPA game in weird universe.

There's a reason why PC games are usually delayed compared to console releases, it has nothing to do about the volumes of machines. I sure hope a PC title can outsell a console version in the long term.

saunderez

Neuromancer said:
What the fuck is going on in here? Haha
Lots of people having a cry about having to wait 3 weeks to play a game. Some even boycotting over said 3 weeks. Total stupidity really.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
I was looking forward to playing this in two days time, but I guess I should have known better, considering that Ubisoft is the publisher. I don't know if I will still buy the game as the pc release now coincides with Xenoblade, which will take me several weeks to complete.

Skipping the game has the added benefit of not giving any money to Ubisoft, which I already tried to avoid, but their downloadables were still an exception.

Scythian

saunderez said:
Lots of people having a cry about having to wait 3 weeks to play a game. Some even boycotting over said 3 weeks. Total stupidity really.
It sounds like it when you put the effort into making it sound that way. The thing is we don't just have to wait 3 weeks, they pushed the release date to Aug. 17 two days before the original release date. Why? I don't know.

Gvaz

Banned
I've been viewing this on and off, but now I hear it comes out in two days? What? instabuy

edit: fuck aug 17? I'll forget about it again

Majora said:
Edge gave this a 9 on their website, then realized they broke embargo and quickly took it down.

They broke it? Damn, I was moments from publishing my impressions here in this thread. Thank god they broke embargo, and it wasn't moved up.

First From Dust review - 9/10 in Edge

Edge has showered praise on From Dust, the new PC and console god game from Another World creator Eric Chahi and publisher Ubisoft, labelling it "a sandbox so good, you might just forget your next objective."

In the first published review of the beautiful looking game - which offers you the chance to play god and manipulate Earth in order to give a tribe a chance of surviving the elements - the mag calls it "magnificent" and awards it a 9/10 score.

"This is a strategy game on the outside, but in its secret heart it's a lot more than that," Edge says. "Few games can offer this kind of scale and organic growth, few push you towards switching tactics with each rhythmic wash of the tides, and few are as convincing - or as gritty and robust - in their simulations."

It adds: "The payoff is a god game that's genuinely worthy of the genre's name: a prolonged and intricate rumination on the punishing forces of nature that makes you feel the duty - and the joys - that great power brings with it."
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/313088/first-from-dust-review-9/10-in-edge/

jgminto

I'll probably get this on PC. The 360 controls look inaccurate and slow. It's a shame Microsoft had to open their money sack.

jgminto said:
I'll probably get this on PC. The 360 controls look inaccurate and slow. It's a shame Microsoft had to open their money sack.

They're not. It's perfectly fine on the controller. It's so useful to have the triggers being analog, so you can dump a small amount of earth/water and control pressure of it. Which really isn't possible on a mouse.

Vinterbird said:
They're not. It's perfectly fine on the controller. It's so useful to have the triggers being analog, so you can dump a small amount of earth/water and control pressure of it. Which really isn't possible on a mouse.

So you have both versions? Looks like the PC version is finished then.

jgminto said:
Prove that's the case and it's not an issue with the pc version? Why so late in the game, surely these contracts are a few weeks/months old?

jgminto

Zeouterlimits said:
Prove that's the case and it's not an issue with the pc version? Why so late in the game, surely these contracts are a few weeks/months old?
What is this a trial? I'm not saying that's the only possibility but it seem like something MS could do. Bastion is also a timed exclusive. It was actually odd that a Summer of Arcade wouldn't be a timed exclusive. I'm no MS hater though, the 360 is my main console.

TheOddOne

Its was wildly known that it was going day to date with the XBLA version, this was known way before. If they let that info slip, MS had no problem with it. The whole moneyhat angle seems impossible now and the delay is more the fault of Ubisoft (its their game).

I'll probably bite and pick it up on the 360 tomorrow. The controls don't look to bad and I don't run the risk that my PC won't be able to run it.

So are the interfaces and controls for the 360 and PC versions tailored for each version, or is the PC version just a console port? If its the latter, then I might just buy my 2nd XBLA game ever.

mxgt

Banned
http://twitter.com/#!/GreenManGaming/status/95816233798221825

greenmangaming said:
We can assure you that the PC release date of From Dust has indeed moved to the 7th of August... This has been confirmed by Ubisoft.

I'm guessing this is a typo as all the sites still say 17th and the 7th is a Sunday

I'm so confused!

wutwutwut

My girlfriend pointed me at the game as the reason she wanted to get back into gaming (and created a Steam account in anticipation), and now I'm incredibly excited about it. I only wish I could co-op with her :(

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Necromanti said:
So are the interfaces and controls for the 360 and PC versions tailored for each version, or is the PC version just a console port? If its the latter, then I might just buy my 2nd XBLA game ever.
I don't think the PC version has ever been shown, so no one knows how well it will control. The controls on the 360 are as good as it gets though.

Shurs

Blimblim said:
I don't think the PC version has ever been shown, so no one knows how well it will control. The controls on the 360 are as good as it gets though.

One would assume that the PC version would have the best controls. Using the mouse would certainly be more intuitive than analog controls for a game like this. Even if they aren't one could plug their 360 controller into the PC and play it that way.

Man, I'm torn. I was going to get the game on PC, but now I'll probably be picking it up on 360, as I don't want to wait three weeks to play it. I certainly have enough games to play in the interim, but do I have the willpower to wait?

Rlan

Having played a little bit of it, and having not played Populus, it reminds me a lot of Darwinia+, but removing the combat for terrain formation.

The very core of it is similar -- getting the points and holding them (this time against nature instead of oncoming enemies) in order to unlock the exit, but it thankfully plays SO much better than Darwinia+ did, being a whole lot smarter :p

koji

wutwutwut said:
I only wish I could co-op with her :(

I'm sure there are other ways you can co-op with her.

Any idea if there is controller support for the PC version. If not I'll hook up my 360 again, this looks way too interesting.

Twinduct

Blimblim said:

Yep. Then again I was raised with KB+M. Instinctively I prefer the control scheme above any controller (Unless we're talking action adventure games, then a controller is the only way).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Neuromancer said:
Yeah really. Not buying this when it comes out because you're mad at the delay is a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
I'm not mad at the delay. It's now coming out when I'll be playing something else, so I'm not going to buy it.

wutwutwut

zoner said:
I'm not mad at the delay. It's now coming out when I'll be playing something else, so I'm not going to buy it.
OK, you're not going to buy it when it comes out, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it later in a Steam sale or similar.

Twinduct

wutwutwut said:
OK, you're not going to buy it when it comes out, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it later in a Steam sale or similar.

Very few people actually back up their claim of not buying it. Of course I do believe the change of date loses alot of day 1 sales though. I'm picking it up Day 1, but I know of two people, who is missing this for Deus Ex.

Top Bottom