• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Also, I think a special session of the Kentucky legislature needs to be held to resolve this issue ASAP, new election needs to be held, and a temporary clerk needs to be assigned to fill the gap.
The governor already said that he won't call a special session. The costs don't justify making changes to something that 117 out of 120 of the counties are complying with.

slit

The governor already said that he won't call a special session. The costs don't justify making changes to something that 117 out of 120 of the counties are complying with.

Exactly, so we're at an impasse. She might have to stay in jail until January and even then who even knows if the legislature will do anything. We're talking Kentucky here, those politicians don't want to be seen as giving into the "liberal elite".

The stranger thing to me right now is how in the world are they not convening until January? It always baffles me to see how much time legislators get off

blue5

Banned
Reading's not your strong point, is it Sunshine?

:)

Nah, I read the FAQ and ignored it. Elected official or not; It's a valid question. She refuses to do her job, she should lose her job. Pretty simple. Jailing her isn't going to do anything except fuel the anti-gay agenda.

The President is an elected official yet can get impeached.

Volimar

Nah, I read the FAQ and ignored it. Elected official or not; It's a valid question. She refuses to do her job, she should lose her job. Pretty simple. Jailing her isn't going to do anything except fuel the anti-gay agenda.

The anti-gay agenda already has plenty of fuel. People need to see that there are real consequences for failing to comply with the law because of misguided notions of their faith. There are, I'm sure, loads of christians who are against gay marriage in principle but still doing what the law says.

Difference is she ignored a court order and was in contempt of the court.

That's jail worthy.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Exactly, so we're at an impasse. She might have to stay in jail until January and even then who even knows if the legislature will do anything. We're talking Kentucky here, those politicians don't want to be seen as giving into the "liberal elite".
Didn't the legislature want to call a special session so they could change the law to accommodate her? I thought that's what the governor was saying no to.

Ignoring things, you'll do well here.....

The only way she can lose her job is to be impeached and whoever can do that isn't in session till January.

Alternatively she can step down but there are 80,000 reasons why she wont.

Monocle

A world where moral absolutes are hated by those that believe that there are no moral absolutes (a contradiction since this is an absolute claim). Your creed is only a subjective opinion that is neither right or wrong if moral relativism is true. It is just a taste that varies from person to person. You are not wrong or right, and neither is the person who views it differently.
One cool thing about philosophy is how religious apologists can be counted on to abuse it in order to deflect and obfuscate with an erudite flourish, because stating their real beliefs in plain terms, like "Some classes of people should be discriminated against because they're disgusting and unnatural" doesn't really fly in public, among people with an authentic moral conscience rather than a perverse, self-righteous, brutish worldview whose major achievements include stigmatizing benign people and behaviors, and propagating hypocrisy and irrationality on a global scale.

Good job defending an adulterous bigoted bully with handwavey pseudointellectualism. Jesus would give you a high five.

Seriously, just say "fags shouldn't marry". Don't overcomplicate your views.
What a disgusting distortion.

I believe what you meant to say was "fags can't marry," since god doesn't recognize the sham unions of sodomites as marriage in the first place.

Josta

Didn't the legislature want to call a special session so they could change the law to accommodate her? I thought that's what the governor was saying no to.
They were considering a couple of ideas. Either establishing an additional online marriage license application process, or just no longer requiring a county clerk to sign off on them at all. If I remember correctly.

blue5

Banned
Ignoring things, you'll do well here.....

The only way she can lose her job is to be impeached and whoever can do that isn't in session till January.

Alternatively she can step down but there are 80,000 reasons why she wont.

So she can be impreached. I'm glad we're getting somewhere.

Her underlings have all said they're willing to sign the licenses, so the woman in question is basically irrelevant at this point. Jailing her is martyrdom. I'm sorry that I have an opinion that's not yours, but passive aggression is not flattering.

Sai-kun

Banned

Her underlings have all said they're willing to sign the licenses, so the woman in question is basically irrelevant at this point. Jailing her is martyrdom. I'm sorry that I have an opinion that's not yours, but passive aggression is not flattering.

image.php

The reason why they are able to sign certificates now is because she's jailed.

Jailing her is martyrdom. I'm sorry that I have an opinion that's not yours, but passive aggression is not flattering.

So we should just let people who break the law get off scott-free? Interesting viewpoint.Wonder how it would stack up if it were a non-Christian religious person.

If this shit isn't nipped in the bud, you'll have religious nutjobs everywhere trying to enforce their bigotry.

The reason why they are able to sign certificates now is because she's jailed.

Don't forget she's still claiming anything signed without her there is invalid, from jail, and thus there's a chance that the things signed won't actually be valid because somehow, that's how it works.

Monocle

Don't forget she's still claiming anything signed without her there is invalid, from jail, and thus there's a chance that the things signed won't actually be valid because somehow, that's how it works.
They're invalid on god's authority.

teiresias

Ironic, since I think a fine instead of jail time would be a form of passive aggressiveness in this case. She's where she belongs with no tip toeing around the issue by just fining her.

Ponn

Banned
A few things.

1. Many have already made up their minds on this case and anyone who opposes it: ridiculing and slandering those that do not conform to their view on this matter. For many, I am a truth twister and everyone else is a truth seeker. So, I am not going to sit here all day responding to everyone's posts when there is no reason to.
2. I don't agree that the arguments are flawed. One group has federal and state-legislation on their side that allows them to force another group to violate their faith if they deny submitting to the law that they believe goes against their faith. In this case specifically, if she didn't hold to a christian worldview she would not be in jail.
3. I wasn't referring to the apocalypse. Only that there is no way to escape the consequences of people forcing reality to conform to their own thinking.
4. Finally, this great divide is centered on two very different worldviews. I will let the following quote explain the vastness of how and why the Christian worldview will seem to be hateful and backwards to many in this thread:

Cut through the hypocritical bullshit and answer the point you, and every other religious person on this issue dodges continually. Christians in this instance ARE of the belief homosexuals should not have the right to marry, true or false? In order to tolerate the christian belief one segment of society is forced to lose a civil right and be treated like a lesser human being. It is beyond hypocritical to take the stance of being persecuted or have your religion or beliefs being trampled on when what you are asking to do is to trample on and limit another groups civil rights. Christians lose NOTHING by letting that group be treated like human beings in our society. You are not forced to do anything, jobs are secular and there are plenty more out there that don't involve handing out marriage certificates or making gay marriage cakes.

Now feel free to dodge that point again while whipping out your thesaurus and wikipedia and talking down to people like a catholic mother laying down the guilt trip while pretending to be calm and reasonable.

edit: actually on second thought fine. I'm going to start my own religion where you run through the streets naked on every second tuesday of the month to celebrate the nakedness of humans soul in the eyes of K'llath the Mango and fuck a pinata in front of Wal-mart every saturday while screaming obscenities at the handicapped to please the will of Bul'werks the Avocado. DON'T TRAMPLE ON MY RELIGIOUS RIGHTS! It's morally relevant to me!

If she is released and allowed to return to her post, she has said that she will not let her employees issue marriage licenses.

She basically has to be jailed because otherwise she'll continue to interfere in the issuance of marriage licenses.

rjinaz

Really?? Impeach her.

She likely will get impeached. Once the process can can begin and follow through. This will take months. The problem is she is in contempt of court. Doesn't matter who you are if you defy a judge's order you're going to sit in jail. Simply saying "impeach her" is over simplifying the current situation.

knkng

Jail? Isn't that a bit excessive? Why not just take her job away from her? Jail seems like martyrdom in this case.

So you're basically saying that she should be exempt from the law because of the religious political forces she has behind her? Is this how we decide to dole out justice, based on who has the most cheerleaders in their corner?

She is exactly where she should be. If that makes her a martyr to the losing team, then so be it.

There was no passive aggression, there is a zero tolerance approach to wilful ignorance and can earn you a swift ban.

The judge jailed her because she was in contempt. She was ordered by the Supreme Court to issue marriage licences which she ignored. He could fine her but he knew the fines would be paid by the community via crowd funding so the only recourse he had was jail.

To avoid this she had two options, issue licences or step down. It's against her religious faith to issue marriage licences to same sex couples and she gets $80,000 a year wage she doesn't want to give up.

The balls in her court.

Wilsongt

Twitter has been on point the last few days:

Emerson Collins ‏@ActuallyEmerson Sep 3

#FreeKimDavis is probably the sign her first three husbands put on the front lawn.

Steve Whichard ‏@refinish69 13m13 minutes ago

#freekimdavis when she does her job and not before. Get off the cross. Someone else need the wood.

Nancy ‏@CampaignSick 2h2 hours ago

#FreeKimDavis with purchase of bigot of equal or lesser value

Tim Walker ‏@ledzepptim 2h2 hours ago

#FreeKimDavis Worst coupon ever, can I return her to God

Jef Rouner ‏@jefrouner 5h5 hours ago

#FreeKimDavis available wherever radical Christian paranoia and persecution complexes are sold.

Link

The Autumn Wind
She likely will get impeached. Once the process can can begin and follow through. This will take months. The problem is she is in contempt of court. Doesn't matter who you are if you defy a judge's order you're going to sit in jail. Simply saying "impeach her" is over simplifying the current situation.
The Kentucky legislature won't impeach her. They wanted to call a special session to change licensing procedures to accommodate her. She'll keep her job, and they'll make sure of it come January.

blue5

Banned
There was no passive aggression, there is a zero tolerance approach to wilful ignorance and can earn you a swift ban.

Yeah I've read the rules, but that's not at all what happened. What happened was I had a differing opinion, and as far as I'm aware that is not against the rules, or is it? I think she should be impeached over jailed, but I understand why she was jailed, however: that does not mean I agree with it. Sorry if I offended you.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

There is a weird circularity to this. She claims the licenses are void because they are issued without her authority, but her whole problem with this seems to be that they are issued with her authority because it says so on top of the form.

rjinaz

The Kentucky legislature won't impeach her. They wanted to call a special session to change licensing procedures to accommodate her. She'll keep her job, and they'll make sure of it come January.

That would be a shame.

Yeah I've read the rules, but that's not at all what happened. What happened was I had a differing opinion, and as far as I'm aware that is not against the rules, or is it? I think she should be impeached over jailed, but I understand why she was jailed, however: that does not mean I agree with it. Sorry if I offended you.

I hear you, but what you prefer simply isn't possible, and never really was based on this lady's own decisions.

I'd prefer if she would have just issued the licenses in the first place, but, that too isn't possible so it's kind of a moot point.

No you said you read the FAQ and ignored it and asked why she couldn't lose her job. That kind of stuff can get you banned.

You didn't offend me I barely even care that you post. I am just participating in the discussion.

She can't be impeached because the Kentucky House of Representatives isn't in session till January and it doesn't make financial sense to call an emergency session to rule on this petty woman.

She can step down but she values money more than freedom thus she went to jail.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

How are you still not getting the point that the legislators do not meet until January?
So the earliest impeachment proceedings can occur is JANUARY.

Are you saying that they should let her continue to defy court orders, not do her job, until January?

blue5

Banned
No you said you read the FAQ and ignored it and asked why she couldn't lose her job. That kind of stuff can get you banned.

Yeah, I ignored it because it's wrong. She can lose her job. She can be impeached. The fact is, many people are saying "She can't get fired", when in actuality: she can.

Are you saying that they should let her continue to defy court orders, not do her job, until January?

Not really. I'm more insinuating that the "elected official" process/excuse is flawed and outdated. There needs to be a swifter way to deal with these infractions that doesn't involve "go directly to jail".

So she should just be allowed to break the law for a few more months to avoid her becoming a martyr to people who weren't going to change their minds?

Primus

Yeah, I ignored it because it's wrong. She can lose her job. She can be impeached. The fact is, many people are saying "She can't get fired", when in actuality: she can.

Firing and impeachment are two completely different things that coincidentally can have the same end result. Don't conflate the two.

I like that you are cherry picking parts of my post instead of replying to all of it.

She can't get "fired" or she would have been "fired" already. Being impeached could call for criminal proceedings against her.

Not really. I'm more insinuating that the "elected official" process/excuse is flawed and outdated. There needs to be a swifter way to deal with these infractions that doesn't involve "go directly to jail".
The judge could have fined her but he knew her bible thumping community would have paid for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom