• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hostage is completely unfair. Depending on the stage generated the hostage takers have a HUGE advantage depending on the set-up. Of course, that's true for most modes but the less "random luck fucked me," the better... and deathmatch is the only one where that holds true, I feel.

Hostage is completely unfair. Depending on the stage generated the hostage takers have a HUGE advantage depending on the set-up. Of course, that's true for most modes but the less "random luck fucked me," the better... and deathmatch is the only one where that holds true, I feel.

Well in DM you can get a stage where you are out in the open, while the enemy begins with a nice defensive position.

And I find DM boring sometimes when they are no explosives involved.

While you initial position can be disadvantageous, many times there is the possibility to use it to you advantage. First of all, you can predict you enemies movement more easily because you know he will try and take advantage of his position. Secondly, with two men in you enemies line of sight you can use the old bait and switch move to overcome cover advantage your opponent has. Having the advantage makes your opponent less careful and susceptible for these kinds of tactics.

I also love feigning my movements, letting the opponent think I go one way, while out of sight, going the other. Successfully coming up from behind them is extremely satisfying.

One of my best tactics is letting my adversary underestimate me. I often win games in which I lose my first unit(s) in a dumb way.

Coming back to hostage games: I'm often more comfortable playing the attacker. You just have to let one hostage escape to win (while sacrificing your whole attacking crew). Sometimes this is fairly easy since you know more or less where the defender is going to position his units. You also can use the hostages as spies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Letting the past finally behind and making my peace with the game and developers, I gave the DLC Beta a closer look.

3 new interesting things: New unit, limited turn times (if you want) and coop vs ai (skirmish + campaign)

The new unit is basically a redeployable shield. From my initial impressions the new unit doesnt seem to unbalance the game. Lots of factors are to be seen though. Its hard tinkering around with how it works currently.

The shield basically works as a high wall, so the unit itself and other units can stand behind it. However, there are still a few unknowns. One thing that I tried was moving the unit and having the shield up. Doesnt work. Unit can walk slowly while looking into one direction, but the shield is only up when standing/ducking still, which is good. Might be a tad strong otherwise.

Also, it seems that the unit can "target" an enemy and turns while the enemy tries to walk around it, making it unhittable if you only have one unit left. That seems a bit unbalanced and I might need to try more to find out whether thats really a bit game breaking. But it basically means that if your opponent has an MG left and you the shield unit, it WILL end in a draw. Same thing goes of course for a shield unit vs shield unit scenario. I get the feeling that this might turn out to be a bit weird. Still thinking whether there is an easy solution to improve on that.

What I couldnt test yet is for example whether the shield can be hit by rockets (which it better should) and a few other minor things.

I havent dipped into the coop stuff yet since I havent found anyone to try the Beta coop with, but I'll keep you posted if you guys are interested.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I started casually playing the game again; figured I'd try and beat the campaign even though I don't care about the single player portion of the game.

But I got a game invite and decided why not. Glad I did because this is the part of the game I loved in the first place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alb5k1yQ2u8

Made some big mistakes at the start but man it feels great when you pull back a win. Gonna' play me some more.

Llyranor

DLC is out. New campaign, and all sp content is now co-op. Bought it instantly, awesome game. The phase system works really well online. Didn't bother buying before because I don't care about the PvP.

Broseybrose

Hmmm... I was completely addicted to the multiplayer in this game for many months, but I never finished the single player. Better get on that.

One of the best games of 2011, for sure!

Zia

Just wanted to say that the expansion is amazing and really adds a lot to an already-incredible strategy game. Really deserves a new thread.

Uthred

Are the servers fucked by the current influx or something? Trying to login for the last half hour on either UK1 or Texas and it just times out

Does GAF still play this? I've been playing the SP for an hour or so. It's going to take a while to get into, but if anyone fancies a game online, my username is : wigsta

When I tried to log into a server the other day, it couldn't due to the servers being overloaded.

I've had this for a while, but I've finally started getting into it.

This is like Glowy blue crack.

Mark McLovin, I'll add you and invite for a game.

Char

Najaf

Is there any GAF love for this game still? I play regularly on the Texas server and am looking for some good challengers.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is there any GAF love for this game still? I play regularly on the Texas server and am looking for some good challengers.

Want a challenge? :)
Username?

Nabs

Man, I haven't even touched Red. I bought it for the soundtrack :(

I'm going to have to try co-op some time.

Toma

Man, I haven't even touched Red. I bought it for the soundtrack :(

I'm going to have to try co-op some time.

I havent played it in quite a while, if you want to try Coop sometime write me a PM or even better, chat me up on steam!

Toma

User name Najaf.

Any mode you prefer/ dont want to play?

Oh wow, just noticed that you are Nr1 on the Texas Server! :-o
Thats going to be interesting.

Toma

Server must be resetting. I'll take my turn when I jump on next.

Thanks for the matches! Super fun! I tend to forgot just how much I love this game. I know I love it, but god damn is this game amazing.

CzarTim

Better interface? What did they change?

mi66uG2.jpg

Orders on the outside. It's very intuitive.

Heel

Never played the PC version, but the iPad port is a lot of fun so far. I dropped the OT link in the iOS thread so hopefully we can get the thread rolling again.

Toma

Never played the PC version, but the iPad port is a lot of fun so far. I dropped the OT link in the iOS thread so hopefully we can get the thread rolling again.

Especially since the game has the same servers. PC VS IOS GAMERS, THE ULTIMATE BATTLE.

Play FS on PC when it first came out, and totally ignored it until it released on iPad. I think I really prefer the iPad controls over the PC. Once you know where the commands are that you want, it's just a couple taps, and zoming in, dragging around command points, etc. is a real joy.

Toma

Oh really? Maybe I'll have to hop on and show these new iOS players how it's done.

Yup, the servers are full once again. Genius idea by the devs btw since you can carry over your progress AND dont split the community.

With about 8 matches in I think I'm starting to get the hang it. Quick question for dark elimination, is there a difference in the lighter blue areas in and around the buildings compared to the darker blue areas out in the open.? Do you get seen more easily in the lighter areas?
If you wanna to play with a noob hit me up as Roddslayer

With about 8 matches in I think I'm starting to get the hang it. Quick question for dark elimination, is there a difference in the lighter blue areas in and around the buildings compared to the darker blue areas out in the open.? Do you get seen more easily in the lighter areas?
If you wanna to play with a noob hit me up as Roddslayer

The colour doesn't matter.

This game makes my iPad 3 run at literally (seriously, fucking literally! LITERALLY!!) a MILLION degrees. A MILLION, its hot as fuuuuck.

Toma

Someone... could make a new thread for the IOS release :)

Someone... right? >_>
I'll make one tomorrow/sunday if someone else hasnt done it by then and if I dont forget. If anyone else feels like doing it though, be my guest!

I still can't believe I didn't see your sniper at the bottom right in our last draw game. That comeback felt amazing lol

Yeah, great job! I killed all but 1 of your dudes in the first 2 turns, but then lost 3 of mine slowly over the rest of the game, haha. Crazy draw. I still have no idea how you survived the grenade in that match!

I didnt know rockets would blow up walls either, so that came as a huge surprize in our last game.

I still need to learn a lot it seems, but its been fun so far.

Heel

Yeah, great job! I killed all but 1 of your dudes in the first 2 turns, but then lost 3 of mine slowly over the rest of the game, haha. Crazy draw. I still have no idea how you survived the grenade in that match!

I didnt know rockets would blow up walls either, so that came as a huge surprize in our last game.

I still need to learn a lot it seems, but its been fun so far.

I haven't tried it yet, but I believe if you duck you can blow up the light blue cover as well?

There's a lot I'm curious about when it comes to explosions (mostly, what will kill you if you're on the other side of a wall / cover / window etc.). It's been a lot of trial and error so far, but in a fun way.

I haven't tried it yet, but I believe if you duck you can blow up the light blue cover as well?

There's a lot I'm curious about when it comes to explosions (mostly, what will kill you if you're on the other side of a wall / cover / window etc.). It's been a lot of trial and error so far, but in a fun way.

Weird! This game is really taking me out of my comfort zone for tactics games. I hate rocket launchers, rarely use grenade launcher dudes, and will even stay away from shotguns if I can. So this has really fucked me up so far, but it works really well.

Just wish notifications worked like every other app, and I wish it had a chat that worked, or was useful in anyway.

LugNut74

I'm up for some games this weekend. Need some people to learn this game with. Have never played this game before so still in the learning phase. Name is: LugNut74 in the game.

Top Bottom