• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fruit Ninja Kinect |OT| Take That Pomegranate : XBLA - 800msp

Goldmund

Popeck said:
I haven't played the game too much yet, but yeah, it does seem a little bit shallow, like most or if not all of the Kinect games. There's the four different game modes, some cosmetic unlockables, the leaderboards and that's about it.
Thanks. Well, there's The Gunstringer to look forward to. Will this game be included in the European release as well?

Darklord

Banned
I love this game on iphone but because it's on the iphone. It's great to pull out and waste 5-15 minutes playing this. I wouldn't want to jump on my xbox and play this though and even if I did, like I said it would only be for a short period.

Looking forward to this. The iPhone version is quite addicting when you're bored.
I'd love for this to have online multiplayer.

Nemesis_

7echnicolor said:
Looking forward to this. The iPhone version is quite addicting when you're bored.
I'd love for this to have online multiplayer.

It doesn't. Leaderboards though.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I tink I'm going o pick this up. My wife and kids like the game on their iTouch, and this would be a fun new way of playing.
Besides, the Kinect does nothing but gather dust these days.

Frankfurt

Banned
The thread title is kinda bothering me. Is it a ninja telling another ninja to "take that pomegranate", or is it a single ninja enjoying the fact he just sliced a poor fruit ("take THAT, pomegranate")? Because the individual ninja action would require a comma.

SeanR1221 said:
I've played a little (got in on the MS Store mistake) and it's pretty cool, but I don't like classic too much. See, it's sometimes hard to get your hand in position without producing the "blade" effect, so if you accidentally hit a bomb, you're toast.

Arcade and Zen are a ton of fun, though.

so, controls....good/bad?

Poker360

New Quick look up on giant bomb.

1858310-don_tcutbradsfruit_super.png

:D

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Truespeed said:
Anyone else think this would perhaps play better with a Move controller?
Yes, let's add two controllers to a game that doesn't need any.

Maybe they should add a d-pad to the iOS version as well, right?

Truespeed

cjelly said:
Yes, let's add two controllers to a game that doesn't need any.

Maybe they should add a d-pad to the iOS version as well, right?

I think one should suffice. As for iOS, just buy the iControlPad.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, I know at least two of the devs from Halfbrick post on this board, they need to pop into threads like this so we can congratulate them on their success.

Raide

They need to add a Shinobi Bonus Stage style mode to this game. Who else wants to see fruit jump out and kill you?

I find that I have hard time slicing things that are on the extreme edges of the screen. I also have a hard time scrolling through the list of awards in the dojo because the game registers my hand moving back to the default position as a swipe in the opposite direction. I wonder if they could patch that or if I'm doing something wrong.

Stormwatch said:
I find that I have hard time slicing things that are on the extreme edges of the screen. I also have a hard time scrolling through the list of awards in the dojo because the game registers my hand moving back to the default position as a swipe in the opposite direction. I wonder if they could patch that or if I'm doing something wrong.
Menu navigation seems to be the weakest aspect by far (as is often the case with Kinect games). Have you tried arcing your hand back to default position in the dojo as if you're writing the letter 'D' with your hand, rather than up and down.

TKR92

Goldmund said:
Can you give more elaborate impressions? What have you been doing, how many hours spent?

Roughly 10 hours or so. You really need to give some time to get used to, because it's quite different feeling compared to iOS version.
I don't like Classic mode because of the bomb. But zen mode and challenge mode make me keep playing.

BTW I feel there's a little bit of delay. Maybe I need to calibrate my Kinect again (I have really small space to move). But still having a blast.

feel

Truespeed said:
Anyone else think this would perhaps play better with a Move controller?
Not me. Feels perfect hands-free. Shadow already makes it precise enough and holding something would only end up limiting the player's creativity with the slashes.

yophlow

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Okay, I know at least two of the devs from Halfbrick post on this board, they need to pop into threads like this so we can congratulate them on their success.

Hello :)

Well, just a few more hours now until release - I'll be hanging around so feel free to ask me any questions you have about the game and its development - our first Kinect game we made and the first downloadable Kinect game ever!

I actually want this, Gunstringer and CoE, but I don't want to spend money on the Kinect. Kinect 2.0 will most likely be built into the Nextbox so I'll just play these titles then.

derFeef

HalfbrickPhil said:

Well, just a few more hours now until release - I'll be hanging around so feel free to ask me any questions you have about the game and its development - our first Kinect game we made and the first downloadable Kinect game ever!
Congrats, game looks dope! I am not sure you can answer this, but are you guys planning to make more original/exclusive Kinect games? Seems like a great platform for such games.

Gowans

HalfbrickPhil said:

Hi Phil I remember when you first launched FN man what a success.

How was it taking it from Mobile to Kinect? Is the plan to update it along with the iOS versions or is FN pretty much complete now? and What have been your big challenges and successes with this?

This and Child of Eden are pushing me precariously close to picking up a Kinect. I still can't justify it, but damn it if this doesn't look like a great time with mates.

yophlow

Banned
derFeef said:
Congrats, game looks dope! I am not sure you can answer this, but are you guys planning to make more original/exclusive Kinect games? Seems like a great platform for such games.

Thanks! Well, we are primarily a mobile and casual developer, that is where our focus is. However, FNK made so much sense it was impossible to pass up - we will pursue unique opportunities with our IP when they make the most sense for us creatively and commercially. FNK satisfies both of those criteria, so we were good to go!

Gowans007 said:
How was it taking it from Mobile to Kinect? Is the plan to update it along with the iOS versions or is FN pretty much complete now? and What have been your big challenges and successes with this?

Well, we'd already released an XBLA game with Raskulls so working with Xbox and Microsoft was quite easy. Basically, a key reason why the mobile version was so successful was because it felt great to slice the fruit on the screen. Our priority was to make that Kinect sing - precise, satisfying slices. Without it, no extra bells and whistles could have saved it so we focused on that input. We're VERY happy with the end product!

Gowans

Its been up for half an hour. Had a good go on my break and laid down some scores to start on all the modes.

Yup works just as well as the iPad version, love it.

Gowans

My high on a Pomegranate is 61, I must do better!

Thank god I've been running for the last few weeks, I can see this being knackering.

Some of the overall leaderboard scores are baffling to me.

madmackem

Gowans007 said:
Its been up for half an hour. Had a good go on my break and laid down some scores to start on all the modes.

Yup works just as well as the iPad version, love it.

Yup just got it alot of fun, i was worried about giantbomb saying in the podcast this morning that they had issues with it but i played in a not that big bedroom there with two people and never had one issue. Ohhh and gowans your arcade score crushed my friend.

Gowans

dragonelite said:
How is the responsiveness i heard it quite good?
Seemed perfect to me, acidently hit the menu a couple of times but its worth it over the hover and hold other people use for kinect menus.
madmackem said:
Yup just got it alot of fun, i was worried about giantbomb saying in the podcast this morning that they had issues with it but i played in a not that big bedroom there with two people and never had one issue. Ohhh and gowans your arcade score crushed my friend.
hahaha those were just test scores, just wait till later and I get some time.

I have my rocky soundtrack and headband ready!

madmackem

Gowans007 said:
Seemed perfect to me, acidently hit the menu a couple of times but its worth it over the hover and hold other people use for kinect menus.

hahaha those were just test scores, just wait till later and I get some time.

I have my rocky soundtrack and headband ready!

hahah you need it my arms feel like there going to fall off. You can be very accurate with this it feels spot on tbh. Yeah menus can be hit by accident but like gowans says id take it over the hooooooover over.

Gowans

Right Mackem I went online saw on the menu screen as the challenge to beat.

Done!

For now I have:

Score for arcade: 436
Score for classic: 250
Score for zen: 192
Pomegranate: 65

Just tried it, first Kinect game I actually like! (I don't own the Kinect myself, it's a friend's) Works really well and it's good simple fun.

It would probably work better with a couple of Move controllers, but the Kinect controls (once you actually manage to get it to calibrate) do the job nicely.

They just use your sillhouette, rather than any of the spotty skeletal tracking stuff, so it controls more like an Eye Toy game but it doesn't really matter since it works well with this game.

Getting up and swinging your arms around is a lot more fun than swiping with your finger on an iPhone IMO!

Good job Halfbrick!

dragonelite said:
How is the responsiveness i heard it quite good?

No noticeable lag here (probably because it avoids the more advanced skeletal tracking stuff), nice and responsive.

yophlow

Banned
NeoGAF compete go now! Post your highest score for Arcade mode and Gamertag, and the player who has the highest score after 24 hours will get a free Fruit Ninja shirt from Halfbrick and a limited edition Raskulls plush toy from our first XBLA game Raskulls.

Second place gets a shirt - and the kind person who collaborates score progress overnight while we Australians have sleepytime will also get a shirt for their assistance!

I'll contact the winner via PM. Photos of you with your high score on the TV welcome :)

fruit-ninja-like-a-boss-150x225.jpg

268247_10150228658937919_166607547918_7604248_3215275_s.jpg

Raide

Played the trial, instantly purchased it. Fun and addictive. Also, really really knackering. :D

I hope we get some DLC for this and I hope it sells well.

Top Bottom