• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fruit Ninja Kinect |OT| Take That Pomegranate : XBLA - 800msp

This is the best experience I've had with the Kinect so far. If you enjoy arcade high score experiences, this one is going to hook you a bit.

The menu navigation is pretty messy, but if you just keep your hands still it's ok.

My Kinect purchase doesn't feel totally justified, but this game did bring it a notch closer.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Will definitely be getting this when I get home later. Although I'm giving blood before heading home.. so not sure how good of an idea that is.

This version must be easier to get big scores than the iPad/WP7 versions which I already have. Either that or I just suck at them and getting 500+ is normal.

Mdk7

35isyvm.jpg

Here's proof of my record.
Off to bed now, i'm dead tired but boy, i had tons of fun tonite!

GhaleonEB

After a couple play sessions, it's the only Kinect game that I enjoy. I need to put more time into it after the kids are in bed, they've been monopolizing it.

One problem, though. For myself, my wife and my older daughter, the game shows our shadow from about the knee up. For my six year old, it shows her from the feet up - her shadow is really small and she can't reach most fruit on the screen without running back and forth.

She's found some success because the game registers her kicks, which can hit things down low so she doesn't have to bend over. But it's quite poorly designed for younger kids, and it strikes me as quite the oversight since it's such a kid-friendly game.

yophlow

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
After a couple play sessions, it's the only Kinect game that I enjoy. I need to put more time into it after the kids are in bed, they've been monopolizing it.

One problem, though. For myself, my wife and my older daughter, the game shows our shadow from about the knee up. For my six year old, it shows her from the feet up - her shadow is really small and she can't reach most fruit on the screen without running back and forth.

She's found some success because the game registers her kicks, which can hit things down low so she doesn't have to bend over. But it's quite poorly designed for younger kids, and it strikes me as quite the oversight since it's such a kid-friendly game.

Thanks for the kind words, glad it's been such a hit!

As for your daughter, there really shouldn't be an issue with getting it set up right. I can assure you we tested and developed for kids and adults of all shapes, sizes and ages. I can't offer specific advice because I don't know the specifics of your setup but a six year old should be able to be calibrated correctly.

As an example, this is a three year old playing and it seems to be a good fit and frame on screen - see if there's anything here you could emulate. Try adjusting the distance from the TV your daughter plays and also have the Kinect sensor below the TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR2CDgKxQh8

GhaleonEB

HalfbrickPhil said:
Thanks for the kind words, glad it's been such a hit!

As for your daughter, there really shouldn't be an issue with getting it set up right. I can assure you we tested and developed for kids and adults of all shapes, sizes and ages. I can't offer specific advice because I don't know the specifics of your setup but a six year old should be able to be calibrated correctly.

As an example, this is a three year old playing and it seems to be a good fit and frame on screen - see if there's anything here you could emulate. Try adjusting the distance from the TV your daughter plays and also have the Kinect sensor below the TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR2CDgKxQh8
I'll try that. Different games seem to have different distance requirements. Kinectamals has her stay pretty far back from the screen, and that was the distance she was playing at. I'll see if it works better with her closer up.

I'm a bit confused about the Challenge mode. When they were playing it, it was a steady progression of challenges - beat 50, beat 100, etc. I just hopped into that expecting a series of challenges to work through with unlockables along the way. When I did it, it was challenging me to beat friends - and they're all crazy good. I can only top the first one. I'm guessing that's because they had offline profiles (or in the case of my older daughter, a Gold account but no friends on it). Does the game ever realize how crappy I am and give me less difficult challenges? I"m fearful I'm going to be shamed by not ever beating the second one. :lol

Fun game. I have a very low opinion of Kinect - it was a gift for my daughter - but this game is a blast.

whitehawk

Banned
Come on :(

Why don't scores from the trial version crossover? I got a score of 675 in the arcade mode with the trial version, then bought the game. Now I can't get near that score again, and I'm tired lol. Right now my best is 436 :(

edit: How do you get high scores? Honestly it feels like 75% luck. Yes, you can get combos and whatnot, but sometimes you barely get any bananas, and sometimes you get banana blits and 2x at the same time. It's so random :(

feel

GhaleonEB said:
I'll try that. Different games seem to have different distance requirements. Kinectamals has her stay pretty far back from the screen, and that was the distance she was playing at. I'll see if it works better with her closer up.

I'm a bit confused about the Challenge mode. When they were playing it, it was a steady progression of challenges - beat 50, beat 100, etc. I just hopped into that expecting a series of challenges to work through with unlockables along the way. When I did it, it was challenging me to beat friends - and they're all crazy good. I can only top the first one. I'm guessing that's because they had offline profiles (or in the case of my older daughter, a Gold account but no friends on it). Does the game ever realize how crappy I am and give me less difficult challenges? I"m fearful I'm going to be shamed by not ever beating the second one. :lol

Fun game. I have a very low opinion of Kinect - it was a gift for my daughter - but this game is a blast.
Is this still the first unit you've had since you first bought it back then when you mentioned it on Halogaf? I've noticed you complaining about it tracking your daughter horribly in multiple threads. If it's still the same unit, it's gotta be defective or you somehow skipped (or are unaware of) one of the multiple calibrations you need to do, because like I've told you before, it's not supposed to be that bad, I've had my brother's little tykes spend hours glued to it during family gatherings, and it didn't have any issues tracking them. Plus countless of youtube videos show the same.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
whitehawk said:
Come on :(

Why don't scores from the trial version crossover? I got a score of 675 in the arcade mode with the trial version, then bought the game. Now I can't get near that score again, and I'm tired lol. Right now my best is 436 :(

edit: How do you get high scores? Honestly it feels like 75% luck. Yes, you can get combos and whatnot, but sometimes you barely get any bananas, and sometimes you get banana blits and 2x at the same time. It's so random :(

Try not to hit any bombs. I notice when I get combos and avoid bombs I get a lot of bananas, and the music picks up. Once I hit a bomb it goes slower and the momentum is lost.

Gowans

My shoulders are saw today ha!

Well done MDK! What a score!
I'm still in for second place with a few hours to go, fingers crossed!

Mdk7

Gowans007 said:
My shoulders are saw today ha!

Well done MDK! What a score!
I'm still in for second place with a few hours to go, fingers crossed!
Thanks man!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed too..when does the challenge end? :D

whitehawk

Banned
Papercuts said:
Try not to hit any bombs. I notice when I get combos and avoid bombs I get a lot of bananas, and the music picks up. Once I hit a bomb it goes slower and the momentum is lost.
I rarely hit bombs dude.

Raide

Papercuts said:

Now I am thinking about a Rez + Fruit Ninja hybrid...

whitehawk

Banned
Okay this is what I mean by random. I just had a round where I got like 3 frenzy bananas in a row, one accompanied by a 2x multiplier. I messed up during a different 2x multiplier so i could have had a better score, but I still set a new record of 587.

Also I got 80 points on the pomegranate at the end, can anyone beat that?

bryehn

HalfbrickPhil said:
Try adjusting the distance from the TV your daughter plays and also have the Kinect sensor below the TV.

Having people change their setup is not a solution and I loathe when developers suggest it, they should be testing in all sorts of play environments, not just with different sized people in an ideal studio-style setup.

I also noticed (I'm in accessibility) that the game can't be played while seated unfortunately. No matter how it calibrates, you can't reach the top edges of the screen without using your legs to hop off your seat. Not an option for most people in wheelchairs. It's also next to impossible to play the game effectively with one arm.

I know accessibility issues probably don't get a ton of, if any thought with Kinect titles, but maybe they should.

I don't mean to gripe, I think you guys did a great job getting this game on Kinect (bar the dojo menu), but I always like to remind devs that there's a huge (and growing) market of differently-abled gamers out there that they really should keep in mind.

Mdk7

Next to impossible to play with one arm?
FALSE.
I always use just my right arm (so that i can be more precise with my hits), and not only it's super playable that way ... it's even better IMHO.

Gowans

I recon it's 24hours from when Phil posed it so an hour left.

Scores so far in the comp:

853 - Mdk7 - CONFIRMED
778 - Gowans007 - CONFIRMED
682 - cool_dude_2049
587 - Whitehawk
545 - TKR92
540 - papercuts
515 - Lighting Gels
503 - Stormwatch
500 - bryehn
434 - madmackem

Mdk7

Can we officially celebrate then, my friend? :D
I wanna boast that tee to my girlfriend (who already has a Fruit Ninja tee BTW, a present i got for her in Santa Monica during last E3)...

Gowans

Mdk7 said:
Can we officially celebrate then, my friend? :D
I wanna boast that tee to my girlfriend (who already has a Fruit Ninja tee BTW, a present i got for her in Santa Monica during last E3)...
35mins to go, waiting game now bud.

Gowans

Woo! Guess me & Mdk7 will be sporting some awesome Fruit Ninja T's then
3AQmK.gif

Lighting Gels said:
My personal best is 680, not even close...
Congrats dudes :)
How about we keep this comp rolling?
Free free to upadte or add yourself to the scoreboard and post it up guys.

I'm gona get back on tonight I hope.

JaggedSac

bryehn said:
Having people change their setup is not a solution and I loathe when developers suggest it, they should be testing in all sorts of play environments, not just with different sized people in an ideal studio-style setup.

Well, Kinect is a camera without a zoom, so people having to move forward and backwards to best fit the frame is to be expected. I guess a digital zoom could be implemented but then movement accuracy and silhouette quality would probably degrade quite a bit.

EDIT: After thinking about it for a little bit, I think they are doing at least some digital zooming of the player, but it probably has a limit before it becomes unstable.

iNvid02

just got this in my email from machinima, if anybody is going to buy this game you can get "the maw" - free arcade game if you buy it through their link.

edit: to clarify i dont get anything out of it, its not my referral link, just machinima's.

here are the t&cs
Valid for Fruit Ninja Kinect game only. Limit 5 per customer. Offer only valid for customers who clicked through a Machinima.com link for this offer to the U.S. Microsoft Store website; not valid on previous orders or at Microsoft Store retail locations. U.S. residents only. No cash value. Instructions for how to redeem promo code "token" for the game will be included with purchase confirmation. One–time–use code valid in the 50 United States or Washington, D.C. Code is nontransferable and not redeemable for cash.

Tek

I love this! I had so much fun playing it last night and I know my six year old will enjoy it to. He is always running around beating up imaginary things. My friend saw me playing it and she said, you spent 10 bucks on this...oh wow. So I challenged her to a game and she loved it. I didn't love her beating me constantly...but....lol

TKR92

whitehawk said:
Okay this is what I mean by random. I just had a round where I got like 3 frenzy bananas in a row, one accompanied by a 2x multiplier. I messed up during a different 2x multiplier so i could have had a better score, but I still set a new record of 587.

Also I got 80 points on the pomegranate at the end, can anyone beat that?

WOW 80 points? You are good.
only manage to get 70 :(

CRS

Played this yesterday at a buddies and it was amazing. The most fun I've ever had with a Kinect. It took me a while to get used to using both hands (and feet!) but after I did, got a score somewhere in the mid 800s. Will take a picture later today when I go play again. Checked the leaderboards and I was 35th in all-time Arcade. Felt pretty proud. I can already tell the 900 Point Arcade challenge is going to frustrate me though... such a high score.

Gowans007 said:
Just check the leaderboard ~30,000 people listed. Really impressed for kinect XBLA after a day and a half.

Awesome going to pick up a points card later today for this game. I like the idea of XBLA kinect games more than retail. Hopefully a lot more kinect XBLA games are in development besides gunstringer

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
Is this still the first unit you've had since you first bought it back then when you mentioned it on Halogaf? I've noticed you complaining about it tracking your daughter horribly in multiple threads. If it's still the same unit, it's gotta be defective or you somehow skipped (or are unaware of) one of the multiple calibrations you need to do, because like I've told you before, it's not supposed to be that bad, I've had my brother's little tykes spend hours glued to it during family gatherings, and it didn't have any issues tracking them. Plus countless of youtube videos show the same.

It works better with her standing closer to the camera, which she did this morning. She was playing at the same distance the rest of us were, but for some reason the camera didn't compensate for her size and didn't zoom in. Stepping forward a ways helped her and she can play it mostly normally now.

I kind of wish there was a bit more meat the bones in this package, some longer duration games. They're all so short, and similar, that I feel like I've seen everything there is to see in the game after about an hour of play. It's still fun, but I wish the classic mode wasn't so punishing with the hit one bomb = game over mechanic. As far as I can tell, that's the only mode that can run on for a while, and I'm constantly failing due to hitting a bomb, or dropping fruit out of fear of hitting a bomb.

It's a fun game, though, for what it is. My arms are sore today, but I'm going to play it again anyways.

bill0527

Holy shit 3 rounds of this and my arms were feeling it.

Of course, it doesn't help that I'm probably in about as good a shape as that guy in the gif on the first page.

sambo

Neo Member
Is it just me or does the Kinect sensor suddenly feel a lot more responsive? This game just seems a lot more 1:1 than the first batch of games.

Oh, and the pomegranate is awesome! :D

sambo said:
Is it just me or does the Kinect sensor suddenly feel a lot more responsive? This game just seems a lot more 1:1 than the first batch of games.

Oh, and the pomegranate is awesome! :D
I definitely don't feel like it's 1 to 1 tracking, but it seems quick enough.

I put in at least an hour last night and had a great time with this game. Unfortunately I woke up this morning with a very sore shoulder. I should have known better. I've never swung my arms so much in my life. :p

whitehawk

Banned
Adam J. said:
The pomegranate is a pain to rip into. You really have go nuts on that thing to get decent points out of it.
Yup. I probably look like an idiot when I go slicing. And I probably have the stupidest face lol.

Fruit Ninja really gives you a workout. It delivers on what the Wii promised, but never came true.

Gaspode_T

If only I still had my childhood gray plastic Thundercats lion-o sword, oh wait, maybe I would break half of the furniture in my house :p There has to be GIF material on YouTube already from this...

feel

whitehawk said:
Yup. I probably look like an idiot when I go slicing. And I probably have the stupidest face lol.
I adore that pomegranate moment. Such pure and child-like joy. Missed opportunity for funny photo capturing like they have in kinect adventures and other games.

Outtrigger888 said:
Awesome going to pick up a points card later today for this game. I like the idea of XBLA kinect games more than retail. Hopefully a lot more kinect XBLA games are in development besides gunstringer

Gunstringer is not an XBLA game.

Top Bottom