• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL |OT| Stories of the Space Oregon Trail

Parallacs

Yep, that's the most solid strategy right now if you can afford it.
Bombs are ideal as they don't damage the hull. However, needing 30? I've never needed that many.
You actually CAN kill enemy crew without disabling the medbay first. One method is teleporting to the cockpit, and have a second boarding party teleported to the room immediately below it to hit the guy on his way to the medbay. Ideally, use rocks for the first and mantii for the second.
Another, devious one, is to simply hit the medbay with a bomb/missile just as he arrives to heal. With any luck you'll damage or even take it down and kill the injured crew in one fell swoop. Then it's a matter of having four guys on the destroyed medbay and praying (again, a combination of rocks and mantii, plus dominion over the technique of "switching fighting places" helps a lot).
Finally, if you simply can't manage to kil them all (and sometimes you can't), destroying the flagship the "normal" way isn't THAT hard, as long as you can get past Stage 2's defenses.

True, I think 30 is a safe bet though. Nothing worse than bombing the med bay and seeing 4 guys putting out the flames and then the ship cloaks before you can continue bombing it.

I've never been lucky enough to form two away teams on normal. That seems like a good strategy, assuming you can return both crews safely.

Wortany

Okay, this is kinda nuts. I wasn't sure what was going to happen, but I had to do it. For science.

But here is the image that explains it all:
ZAJJD.jpg
At a moment in sector 7, I had 8 crew members and had to turn down 3 recruits.
Lost 5 in a boarding failure in sector 7, and 2 during the first stage of the final boss.
He teleported all 5 of his main crew to my ship, to which I replied with opening all the doors and just escaping to his missile-quarter.
I have no idea why he kept teleporting them in but because of that, he didn't have his teleporter down from cooldown to teleport them back to his ship.

While my dear Jax was happily clobbering away at his missiles, I got through his shields once and was able to bring them down after a few more hits. With that out of the way, I was guaranteed a victory.
My cloaking just made him miss all his energybursts and some of his missiles.

Then came the question: what happens when you lose your last crew member during the final stage of the boss?
I knew of the Trustworthy Auto-pilot, which I had yet to receive.
As you can see, I got a victory with no crew left on my ship (none mentioned in the top left)
You really don't know what's going to happen in this game. At one moment you've got the best crew around and the second after you win the game with 1 boarder who sacrifices himself for the greater good (read: achievement).

inky

26 hours logged in and I havent beat the game on easy.
I'm starting to feel a little annoyed.

You just need a plan. I did it after like 8-9 hours.

First time I did it I used the engi ship. The ion thingy to stun lock enemy shields is a very very good tool. Just learn to prioritize what to attack, which in most cases is weapon/drone systems (when you manage to disable their shields of course).

I've never even used cloak or teleporting. I think at least the latter is a hard strategy to pull off, so I always prefer weapons and enough hands on deck to repair essential stuff. Also, don't understimate engine upgrades like I did first. It is a great thing to level if you are unlucky finding things to buy.

Parallacs

26 hours logged in and I havent beat the game on easy.
I'm starting to feel a little annoyed.

I was that way and think I saw 24 hours before I booted it up for a win, so I was probably where you were. Don't stress, have fun.

I was making wrong assumptions the whole time:
-Taking every risk before thinking about it. Space spiders when I have a weak crew? Why not?
-Teleporters are a waste (I didn't know about increased rewards)
-Cloaking is a waste (I didn't know it dodges enemy barages)
-Drone Control isn't needed (dumb for obvious reasons)

You will get a flow and the game will become easy. I can now beat normal ~50% of the time. The easiest path (for me) is:

-Get one level of shields every two Sectors
-Avoid beam weapons unless they are free (Use lasers - the starting Burst 2 is the best weapon in the game. Only use missiles when threatened)
-Get doors to level 2 by the second sector
-Get level 2 teleport once you get some fighters
-Scrap recovery arm if you are lucky enough to find it
-Do sensor upgrade once you get teleport
-Get bomb weapons for final boss (see my previous post)
-Get cloaking near the end when scrap starts to flow
-Get defense 1 instead of defense 2 for drone cont. It is easier to power and only shoots down the important things (enemy drones and missiles)
-Exploit/Spare laser guy on boss (see above)

Wok

I have managed to lose against the boss of FTL by jumping during the fight in order to repair my ship. Big mistake: as soon as I jumped, I learnt I had lost because the boss was only one jump away from the base. It was with my best playthrough so far.

Parallacs

I have managed to lose against the boss of FTL by jumping during the fight in order to repair my ship. Big mistake: as soon as I jumped, I learnt I had lost because the boss was only one jump away from the base. It was with my best playthrough so far.

Haha yeah. I've done that. He would have repaired to full anyways.

I think you need to approach the boss with the mindset that you are in it for
three straight phases. By this point, your ship should be a beast. After finishing the first phase, dont go to repair or restock. Follow the ship and re-engage. At least the last two phases are easier.

Haha yeah. I've done that. He would have repaired to full anyways.

I think you need to approach the boss with the mindset that you are in it for
three straight phases. By this point, your ship should be a beast. After finishing the first phase, dont go to repair or restock. Follow the ship and re-engage. At least the last two phases are easier.

Advanced FTL drive makes it much easier to repair between phases.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Holy Frack, I finally beat the boss on easy after 20 hours of playing!

I used the second engi ship on a really good run. Got a scrap arm early, nearly upgraded every system on the ship to full. But going into the final fight I really didn't think I had a chance. I was low on missiles and my only repair stations in sector 8 were very far from the boss. In fact, I ended up beating all three phases of the boss without being able to repair, I got cut off from my only way back and had to simply go for it. Phase 3 was my hardest actually, I was out of missiles and that dang zoltan shield kept me from getting the job done, had to eat a few of his missile barrages. My cloak saved me from the surges thankfully.

I now have a much better idea of how to handle the boss, and how to prepare for that final fight. Going to try it again tonight.

This game sure is fun, I spend more time playing this than Diablo III. lol

Okay, so my strategy is fine as long as I'm not using the friggen Nesasio. Just beat the game, 5118,
Bravias
. Didn't get any achievements, so I'll have to do it again, but it is by far one of the easiest ships to beat the game with if you can get it.

I mean, I was able to go on boarding sprees with my two boarders (
Crystals
) and just tore through everyone. I had so much extra scrap, I rode in with level 4 shields, level 6 engines, and a safety level of every system and subsystem. Defense 1 drone and that's all.

My finale was alternating between Heavy, Light, and Light Burst weapons, an ion cannon, and breech 2 and firebombs. Final boss never had a CHANCE, and I never felt threatened at all.

What an overpowered ship. Sheesh! First attempt with it too. (and of course, Normal)

Okay, so my strategy is fine as long as I'm not using the friggen Nesasio. Just beat the game, 5118,
Bravias
. Didn't get any achievements, so I'll have to do it again, but it is by far one of the easiest ships to beat the game with if you can get it.

I mean, I was able to go on boarding sprees with my two boarders (
Crystals
) and just tore through everyone. I had so much extra scrap, I rode in with level 4 shields, level 6 engines, and a safety level of every system and subsystem. Defense 1 drone and that's all.

My finale was alternating between Heavy, Light, and Light Burst weapons, an ion cannon, and breech 2 and firebombs. Final boss never had a CHANCE, and I never felt threatened at all.

What an overpowered ship. Sheesh! First attempt with it too. (and of course, Normal)

That ship is amazingly overpowered against the final boss too, since you can simply
use the crystal lockdown to trap people in any room and kill them before they can go to the medbay, or alternatively lock the medbay and trash it
. This strategy is indeed equally valid against any ship, leaving you rolling on cash. You can even board drones thanks to
the asphyxiation partial immunity

I also just updated my sector 8 tips with your strategy about
leaving the laser gunner alive
. :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I beat it after something like 30 hours on easy. hahahha.

I figured it out now though it's all about
teleporting, killing that end dudes missiles real quick with a teleport of 2 guys is key. no missiles means waaaaay less damage.

evangd007

I was making wrong assumptions the whole time:
-Taking every risk before thinking about it. Space spiders when I have a weak crew? Why not?

After a few playthroughs I looked up the resolution tables for some of the events, and the vast majority of them boil down to use a blue option, or don't risk it. I'm pretty sure that the white option for one of them had two outcomes: lose a crew member and gain some scrap, or nothing happens. Yeah...

I make an exception for events where it's possible to gain a crew member, those are generally worth the risk.

fallout

After a few playthroughs I looked up the resolution tables for some of the events, and the vast majority of them boil down to use a blue option, or don't risk it. I'm pretty sure that the white option for one of them had two outcomes: lose a crew member and gain some scrap, or nothing happens. Yeah...

I make an exception for events where it's possible to gain a crew member, those are generally worth the risk.
I've actually had some playthroughs turn around by taking those risks. Like, I was in a really shitty situation and figured: "Fuck it, I'm screwed anyway if I don't get something good out of this."

Just finished it with the Kestrel on Normal. Interestingly, it was a rather "unlucky" run where I stupidly lost two crew members to asphixiation (totally my fault), and spent a lot on repairs because of very strong ship combos (also, I fled more battles than in any other game so far).

As a result, I ended up without a teleporter (no point in it anyway, since I didn't have any rock or mantis), AND no drone system. Weapons weren't that hot either, a Fire Beam (which got no use at all during the boss battle), the starting Burst Laser 2, a Heavy Laser (one of the worst weapons in the game), and a Pegasus missile. I was curious to see whether the Pegasus would be enough to get through the flagship's defenses, especially stage 2. As it turns out, it was (by virtue of shooting two missiles). Since I never use missiles, I had 60+ for the final battle.

I simply priorized the flagship's triple missile launcher with the Pegasus each phase, then shields. Once the shields were down, the rest was relatively easy. Had my entire crew except the pilot running up and down the ship fighting the boarding drones all at once and fixing stuff, was quite funny. They manned their stations like 20% of the time. :D.

Got a repair node right before stage 3, which again was quite easier than 2, and it was smooth sailing from there. Final score: 4593, a whole lot better than my original Normal victory with the Kestrel.

Subset Games should really consider either switching stage 2 and 3's gimmicks around, or toning down stage 2, especially defense-wise. Stage 3 is pretty much a formality at this point.

Just finished it with the Kestrel on Normal. Interestingly, it was a rather "unlucky" run where I stupidly lost two crew members to asphixiation (totally my fault), and spent a lot on repairs because of very strong ship combos (also, I fled more battles than in any other game so far).

As a result, I ended up without a teleporter (no point in it anyway, since I didn't have any rock or mantis), AND no drone system. Weapons weren't that hot either, a Fire Beam (which got no use at all during the boss battle), the starting Burst Laser 2, a Heavy Laser (one of the worst weapons in the game), and a Pegasus missile. I was curious to see whether the Pegasus would be enough to get through the flagship's defenses, especially stage 2. As it turns out, it was (by virtue of shooting two missiles). Since I never use missiles, I had 60+ for the final battle.

I simply priorized the flagship's triple missile launcher with the Pegasus each phase, then shields. Once the shields were down, the rest was relatively easy. Had my entire crew except the pilot running up and down the ship fighting the boarding drones all at once and fixing stuff, was quite funny. They manned their stations like 20% of the time. :D.

Got a repair node right before stage 3, which again was quite easier than 2, and it was smooth sailing from there. Final score: 4593, a whole lot better than my original Normal victory with the Kestrel.

Subset Games should really consider either switching stage 2 and 3's gimmicks around, or toning down stage 2, especially defense-wise. Stage 3 is pretty much a formality at this point.

Thing is, you had the Pegasus, which is the only game-winner missile. (As you said, due to it firing two at once.) And I'd say that Heavy laser 1 is passable, Heavy 2 is terrible. With Heavy 1, you're going for sheer damage and targetting empty spaces, often with the chance of punching a hole in the hull.

That said, you DID have cloaking, so it worked out. Kestral does still start with Burst 2, which is the best power cost/shots delivered efficient laser in the game.

Playing around some more with the
Bravias
myself. Got one of the achievements, need to get the other two.

Thing is, you had the Pegasus, which is the only game-winner missile. (As you said, due to it firing two at once.)

Yep, it totally won my game, and was the main reason I skipped the teleporter. I perhaps could have dented the flagship's armor with the lasers + fire beam (that was my initial plan), since I could drop its shields if all 4 shots (then using the fire beam to hopefully put set more fires than they can manage), but it wasn't looking good at all (to be fair, once I got the missiles I passed on a halberd beam that could have worked much better).

And I'd say that Heavy laser 1 is passable, Heavy 2 is terrible. With Heavy 1, you're going for sheer damage and targetting empty spaces, often with the chance of punching a hole in the hull.

Fair point, although it's still worse than a beam when the shields are down, and worse than anything that's not a beam when they're up. I don't even remember what the Heavy Laser 2 does, I don't think I've ever got it randomly (unlike the 1) and obviously I avoid them like the plague on shops.

That said, you DID have cloaking, so it worked out. Kestral does still start with Burst 2, which is the best power cost/shots delivered efficient laser in the game.

True and true. I did make cloak a priority, since it's probably the biggest deal breaker when you have enough firepower not to need the teleporter.

FINALLY beat the bastard.

PvAKw.gif

Perfect. :D

Forkball

I love this game, but I cannot even beat this on easy. My last run, I got to sector 7 with near full health, missiles, a lot of crew members, massive buffs on my ship etc. I come across one of those drone things, and think "pfft, free scrap." I attack it and it unleashes the fury of seven hells upon me and decimates me in what was seemingly seconds.

Wok

I love this game, but I cannot even beat this on easy. My last run, I got to sector 7 with near full health, missiles, a lot of crew members, massive buffs on my ship etc. I come across one of those drone things, and think "pfft, free scrap." I attack it and it unleashes the fury of seven hells upon me and decimates me in what was seemingly seconds.

When used wisely, drones are so powerful.

O.DOGG

So I finally beat the game with the Mantis Type 2. I love, love, love the four-person teleporter. Now only to unlock that damn last ship.

With some experience you'll be able to size up opponents at a glance. If I was in a ship with only 4 on engines (it should be 5-6 minimum as soon as sector 4-5) and the starting weapons, and was staring at a ship with level 3 shields, an anti-ship drone, a bomb and a rocket launcher, this would be me:
2lawm89.gif

To be fair, if by sector 7 you have 4 on engines and 3 on weapon systems (with only the starting weapons), you have pretty much no chance to finish the game. :/

So I finally beat the game with the Mantis Type 2. I love, love, love the four-person teleporter. Now only to unlock that damn last ship.

Mad props for finishing the game with that ship; I think it's the hardest one I've tried. I should try to play it on Easy; I didn't know it would be so hard and did all my runs on Normal.

Edit: Thread's a bit dead, hopefully someone else posts to bump it or something. :D

In the meantime, a rather decent Engi Cruiser Normal run went to flaming hell when I got stuck at the end of a sector with no way to jump to the exit, and had to backtrack aaaaall the way to the start to take the other branch (which by that point was already entirely taken by the rebels). That was like 6-7 straight jumps of nothing but rebel fights. I somehow managed to survive until the next sector... with two hull; couldn't find a shop in three jumps and the next ship finished me off.

Most infuriating thing is that this is the kind of thing I warn everyone to avoid (always plan your route and all that stuff). :p

Most infuriating thing is that this is the kind of thing I warn everyone to avoid (always plan your route and all that stuff). :p

Don't you personally play with the links beacons (that you're not at) have turned on? So shouldn't you have been able to avoid it? (I personally play with them off, and have gotten good at eyeballing if a beacon is a dead end)

Don't you personally play with the links beacons (that you're not at) have turned on? So shouldn't you have been able to avoid it? (I personally play with them off, and have gotten good at eyeballing if a beacon is a dead end)

I am and I should, that's why it was infuriating; I had nobody to blame but myself. I was angry at myself for being careless. :D

"Eyeballing" them rather than actually checking is exactly what got me into this mess, though. The difference between "connected" and "not connected" is one pixel, after all.

Still, there seem to be issues with sector generation, because this doesn't seem to be intended. I mean, what's the point in having half of a sector unreachable? (you will lose one of the branches no matter what you do, due to backtracking). To further this point, one of the beacons was literally unreachable (isolated with no connections at all to any other beacon).

evangd007

Find a stasis pod in a Rock sector.

Next sector is Engi. Can't find the Zolton Research Facility event to free the guy in the stasis pod.

Next sector is Rock Homeworld.

FUCKING HELL!

That run wasn't a total loss, though, first win with the Federation Cruiser.

Mindlog

Find a stasis pod in a Rock sector.

Next sector is Engi. Can't find the Zolton Research Facility event to free the guy in the stasis pod.

Next sector is Rock Homeworld.

FUCKING HELL!

That run wasn't a total loss, though, first win with the Federation Cruiser.
Trying to unlock that ship drove me nuts. At one point I unlocked the stasis pod in 5 consecutive games and never found the Rock Homeworld. On the plus side it is quite fun.

I finally upgraded my FTL. Also threw on the upgraded background and planets for good measure. Looked through my list and found I hadn't beat normal with my 'Mystery Cruiser B' variant so I gave it a shot. Victory with a new high score!

O.DOGG

Man trying to get the secret ship is an exercise in frustration. I've managed to fulfill the first two conditions two or three times now but never got the Rock homeworlds after that. Spent a couple of hours today just trying to unlock the ship, with no intention of finishing the game and never got the Zoltan research station even once. Pissing me off.

LuffyZoro

Man trying to get the secret ship is an exercise in frustration. I've managed to fulfill the first two conditions two or three times now but never got the Rock homeworlds after that. Spent a couple of hours today just trying to unlock the ship, with no intention of finishing the game and never got the Zoltan research station even once. Pissing me off.
I got to the research station once, but then I died like two jumps later.

I feel almost guilty when I hear other people's woes unlocking the secret ship, because it pretty much fell out of the sky for me (like, in my first try after reading what one had to do, and secont time I got the stasis pod). :/ On the other hand, the theoretically easier Slug Cruiser is proving to be a bitch to unlock.

Yeah, I wish there was a secondary (and less chance-based) way of unlocking some of the ships. I still have two ships left to unlock, but I'm getting kind of burned out due to so much being down to luck.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Umm... I got the secret ship on my second run, like you. >_>

I hate you both. So very much. I picked up the stasis pod on my first jump in this sector.

FTL is constantly doing shit like this to me. At least with this one I don't have to jump through 3 more sectors only to scour half the rock homeworlds sector and still not find the right node.

On the other hand, I managed to get the Slug ship on my first attempt at it.

Umm... I got the secret ship on my second run, like you. >_>

Ah, I didn't know/remember you got it so soon. I did understand you already have it (hence the "last ship" comment) and was just commenting on how it's not just me and the slug ship is harder to get than the secret one for others as well.

I hate you both. So very much. I picked up the stasis pod on my first jump in this sector.
FTL is constantly doing shit like this to me. At least with this one I don't have to jump through 3 more sectors only to scour half the rock homeworlds sector and still not find the right node.

On the other hand, I managed to get the Slug ship on my first attempt at it.

See? Now I hate you. :D (nah, it's just luck and perseverance).

I also feel like I'm never going to unlock Rock Cruiser B. I've even finished the game with it, and I haven't got even one single achievement. :/ Thing is, I quite dislike Rock Cruiser A (missiles being my least favored strategy), so I think I'll skip it for the time being.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
See? Now I hate you. :D (nah, it's just luck and perseverance).

I also feel like I'm never going to unlock Rock Cruiser B. I've even finished the game with it, and I haven't got even one single achievement. :/ Thing is, I quite dislike Rock Cruiser A (missiles being my least favored strategy), so I think I'll skip it for the time being.

I swear the RNG knows exactly what I'm attempting on each run and specifically doesn't spawn those options for me. My last 10 runs were trying to get the second achievement for the fed cruiser (pick blue crew event options) and only once did I actually manage to even find more than one blue crew event before sector five. My very next game, using the stealth ship, I found 4 random events that could have blue crew options. I would have needed to pick up a slug for the 3rd one though.

I'm pretty sure the game is just trolling me at this point, yet I keep coming back. >_<

Woo! Just got through beating FTL for the very first time! Patting myself on the back for keeping up with normal mode to finish the game but I'm super stoked. Absolutely destroyed the final boss and had a really ideal setup that did wonders for me. I think there were maybe 3 or 4 major decisions that I made in earlier sectors that sort of clenched my win with my stock Kestrel.

Buying the augment that allowed me to shoot while cloaked very early on when I had the opportunity. I didn't have the cloak itself until later on but it was something I wanted to capitalize on after hearing how people were successful with cloaking in this thread.

Selling an arm and a leg (sold stock missles and whatever drone parts I had accumulated by that point) to buy a second Burst Laser II. This I think was definitely the key to my victory more than any other factor. I could slice through even 4 stock shields while still having a decent chance to do some damage. Default missles on the Kestrel are really just garbage outside of sector 5 or so when enemies begin really ramping up their defensive capabilities. If you're relying on them at that point then you're just going to run into a wall when you have an opponent with high shields and defense drones.

Didn't spread myself thin with upgrades that were outside of my focus. I didn't bother with a crew teleporter or drones of any kind, the scrap I saved went in to upgrading my shields to 3 Stock (didnt even max them out) and putting whatever spare I had into my engines for base evasion and my cloak. Outside of cloak I had a base (well, combined with my 2 star engine guy and 2 star pilot) 45% evasion and while cloaked it shot up to 105%. A lot of the boss' stuff was ultimately negated.

Things I ultimately lucked out on :
Ultimately finding the second Burst Laser II and then complimenting that with an Ion Bomb for further crippling my opponents defenses were definitely the major factors for why I was able to get through this run so easily. Having maxed Cloaking and shooting while cloaked made it so that I could avoid the larger vollies of missles while focusing on taking out the boss' shields and then moving to other systems.

Dat end game health.

Edit : Oh, and my playtime was 24 hours ... to beat it once. Keep on trying guys, you'll get there.

elfinke

Bought this before xmas while the living room and PC area were pulled apart; finally had a chance to start playing it this week.

What a little beauty it is. Beat it on my second attempt (which was probably my dozenth or so overall attempt) with the Engi cruiser on a what was a dream run. Had a beam weapon (not the fire one, one that did 2 damage to empty areas and 1 damage otherwise), 2 Ion weapons (which made me more or less invincible for much of the game as the first volley of fire would shut down any armaments of the opposition, and sometimes another system as well) and a full bay of drones (the default drone, a beam drone and I think a defence drone, which I barely used), which was my focus.

So dual Ion weapons, a slower beam weapon (turns out they're pretty awesome) which would hit pretty hard and a pair of offensive drones. I laid waste to the universe.

I had died at the second stage of the final boss fight a few times before (fucking power surges and drone overload, URGH), but this time with dual ion lasers and some busy drone work, I was unstoppable and breezed through the entire fight, taking hardly any hull damage.

Then, to balance out this success, upon starting a new game with the new-layout Engi cruiser, I was utterly decimated in the 3rd sector by some punk with huge rockets and solar flares!

Easy come, easy go!

Anyway, terrific game, I just wish it were on iPad so I could take it with me everywhere. As others have said, the music is sublime. FTL and Xcom are probably the only games I've recently played (say in the last 6 months) where I recall sitting at work and I'd be thinking of better ways to run my missions or strategies.

Onwards and upwards (back) to normal difficulty now then.

evangd007

Got to Rock Homeworlds with one of the secret race. Came out of it with a new ship. The Rock Cruiser. I knew I should have bought the Long Range Scanner when I had the chance. So close...

First win with the Engi Cruiser. I don't know if it counts though. I ended up using only a Defense I drone for survivability while I used bombs, ions and a glaive beam to do damage. Such an un-Engi Cruiser type of build, but when you get a glaive beam, by god you use it.

Parallacs

Woo! Just got through beating FTL for the very first time! Patting myself on the back for keeping up with normal mode to finish the game but I'm super stoked. Absolutely destroyed the final boss and had a really ideal setup that did wonders for me. I think there were maybe 3 or 4 major decisions that I made in earlier sectors that sort of clenched my win with my stock Kestrel.

Buying the augment that allowed me to shoot while cloaked very early on when I had the opportunity. I didn't have the cloak itself until later on but it was something I wanted to capitalize on after hearing how people were successful with cloaking in this thread.

Selling an arm and a leg (sold stock missles and whatever drone parts I had accumulated by that point) to buy a second Burst Laser II. This I think was definitely the key to my victory more than any other factor. I could slice through even 4 stock shields while still having a decent chance to do some damage. Default missles on the Kestrel are really just garbage outside of sector 5 or so when enemies begin really ramping up their defensive capabilities. If you're relying on them at that point then you're just going to run into a wall when you have an opponent with high shields and defense drones.

Didn't spread myself thin with upgrades that were outside of my focus. I didn't bother with a crew teleporter or drones of any kind, the scrap I saved went in to upgrading my shields to 3 Stock (didnt even max them out) and putting whatever spare I had into my engines for base evasion and my cloak. Outside of cloak I had a base (well, combined with my 2 star engine guy and 2 star pilot) 45% evasion and while cloaked it shot up to 105%. A lot of the boss' stuff was ultimately negated.

Things I ultimately lucked out on :
Ultimately finding the second Burst Laser II and then complimenting that with an Ion Bomb for further crippling my opponents defenses were definitely the major factors for why I was able to get through this run so easily. Having maxed Cloaking and shooting while cloaked made it so that I could avoid the larger vollies of missles while focusing on taking out the boss' shields and then moving to other systems.

Dat end game health.

Edit : Oh, and my playtime was 24 hours ... to beat it once. Keep on trying guys, you'll get there.

Dat Burst Laser II.

Best weapon in the game, with the exception of the Fire Bomb. It certainly is the best weapon for getting you to the boss.

I still think the teleporter is the best upgrade in the game. The 75 scrap you spend on it will be earned back in three fights when you kill the enemy crew.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I still think the teleporter is the best upgrade in the game. The 75 scrap you spend on it will be earned back in three fights when you kill the enemy crew.

I still don't really understand how people use the teleporter so successfully. What's the basic strategy for killing their crew without getting yours killed?

mercviper

I still don't really understand how people use the teleporter so successfully. What's the basic strategy for killing their crew without getting yours killed?

- Rank 2 teleport
- Start the fight 2v1 in a 2x1 room
- Don't fight if they have medbays
- Recall after a fight and medbay up yourself before going back in.
- Use mantis/rockmen
- If you're in dire straights and your teleporter is on cooldown, run your crew around their ship from end to end to keep them alive until you can retrieve them.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
- Rank 2 teleport
- Use mantis/rockmen
- If you're in dire straights and your teleporter is on cooldown, run your crew around their ship from end to end to keep them alive until you can retrieve them.

Thank you!

O.DOGG

- Rank 2 teleport
- Use mantis/rockmen

Those are pretty good tips. Another one is to not fire on the ship you are boarding. This one time I killed my commando boarding party of 3 mantises and a rock by trying to suppress the enemy's laser fire while boarding them at the same time. I didn't pay enough attention and the enemy ship had very few hit points left. I fired at their weapons, penetrated the shield, and it exploded... Oops.

Parallacs

- Rank 2 teleport
- Use mantis/rockmen

If you have missiles or strong enough lasers, you can take out the med bay before teleporting over. They usually don't even bother to repair it if there are three or less people. I try to teleport for every fight. Why make 30 scrap when you can get 50 scrap, 4 fuel and 3 missiles?

You absolutely need sensors level two though. It is always funny when I teleport over to a slug ship and find two manti' in the cockpit.

Wok

Today, I have done my best playthrough out of 20 hours in the game. I had the Kestrel with almost all the upgrades of the default gear (no drone, cloaking, etc. though). I managed to beat the first form of the final boss, quite easily. And then I lost at the second form. There were so many drones landing on my ship. It was a nightmare. I don't know if I am going to launch this game again any time soon. How come is this the easy mode?

Top Bottom