• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fugitive ex-U.S. spy Snowden in talks on returning home: lawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/03/us-russia-usa-snowden-idUSKBN0LZ1U020150303

(Reuters) - A Russian lawyer for Edward Snowden said on Tuesday the fugitive former U.S. spy agency contractor who leaked details of the government's mass surveillance programs was working with American and German lawyers to return home.

Anatoly Kucherena, who has links to the Kremlin, was speaking at a news conference to present a book he has written about his client. Moscow granted Snowden asylum in 2013, straining already tense ties with Washington.

"I won't keep it secret that he... wants to return back home. And we are doing everything possible now to solve this issue. There is a group of U.S. lawyers, there is also a group of German lawyers and I'm dealing with it on the Russian side."

The United States wants Snowden to stand trial for leaking extensive secrets of electronic surveillance programs by the National Security Agency (NSA). Russia has repeatedly refused to extradite him.

Snowden has said in the past he would like to return home if he was assured he would be given a fair trial.

A deeply divisive figure, Snowden is praised by some as a civil rights campaigner and whistleblower and condemned by others as a traitor who had compromised U.S. security. Kucherena said last August Snowden had been granted a three-year residence permit in Russia.

I'd want to get out of Russia too

I just want to see him given a fair trial. I think he broke the law and deserves punishment, but if he goes to trial and gets off so be it.

esms

He's not going to be given a fair trial, ever. They're gonna put him away for as long as possible as an example for other would be whistle blowers on more fucked up fruits that our "war on terror" has bore.

Hope he finds a different country for asylum.

samn

I just want to see him given a fair trial. I think he broke the law and deserves punishment, but if he goes to trial and gets off so be it.

He broke the law to expose wrongdoing on an enormous and terrifying scale. He should be given a medal.

samn

That doesn't absolve him of his crimes. He should stand trial.

Do you really have no sense of the bigger picture here?

How can he possibly have a fair trial when security services are routinely monitoring privileged conversations between lawyers and their clients?

I really don't see how he could ever return home and actually get a fair trial. After all is said and done most of the guys that did what he exposed are still in power.

braves01

Banned
Good, while I thank him for his service to Americans, he must also be held accountable for his crimes, if any, determined through a fair trial. But real talk, I bet Obama just pardons him in a couple years.

He broke the law to expose wrongdoing on an enormous and terrifying scale. He should be given a medal.

This. In this case, I believe the breaking of the law was justified to expose a greater evil. That being said, there is no way the dude is going to get a fair trial if he comes back. The feds are going to do everything they can to throw him in solitary confinement for the rest of his life in a supermax federal prison. He should just write a book and move some place nice in South America or Scandanavia or something.

Do you really have no sense of the bigger picture here?

How can he possibly have a fair trial when security services are routinely monitoring privileged conversations between lawyers and their clients?
I fully realize that it'll be hard for him to get a fair trial, but that has never been a reasoning for someone to get away with not standing trial.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
He can't come home and he can't have a fair trial. The Espionage Act makes a fair trial literally impossible for him.

samn

I fully realize that it'll be hard for him to get a fair trial, but that has never been a reasoning for someone to get away with not standing trial.

And shouldn't it be?!

This robotic 'LAW MUST BE UPHELD' thinking completely breaks down when it is being applied by a government that proudly flouts its own rules against violating our rights. It's terrifying to see this kind of talk so prevalent as we march quietly towards a state of total surveillance.

Whistleblowing is a crime?
You realize everything he revealed wasn't just the US is listening to your phone calls and e-mails? He also revealed stuff like the US is saying mean things about other world leaders or our spies are spying on another countries spies.

What is gained from that? Isn't that why we have spies? I think most Americans would be angry if Snowden had revealed something like US spies aren't actually spying on other countries. Then what the hell do we have an intel network for?

Enron

Banned
He's never coming home. Because if he does, he's going away for a very very long time fair trial or not after exposing not only government data collection on its own citizens, but foreign high-value/gov't targets as well. And you cannot tell me he didn't trade even more damaging info for his asylum in Russia. If he comes home, his life is over.

Somnid

Just pardon him Obama.

I'd be scared to come back, not just because of the government but crazies who practice 'Murica-ism like a religion. He'd need a bodyguard.

No one in the NSA, the government or past two presidential administrations has stood trial for the crimes of the intelligence community. Hell this isn't even the first time they've committed crimes and gotten away with it. We literally tortured people, violated international law and committed war crimes and so far no one in government has been held accountable. Why should Snowden be held accountable for exposing the crimes of the government against its own people?

params7

Banned
He will be thought of as a hero in the history books hundreds of years from now. He should live a little today.

And shouldn't it be?!

This robotic 'LAW MUST BE UPHELD' thinking completely breaks down when it is being applied by a government that proudly flouts its own rules against violating our rights. It's terrifying to see this kind of talk so prevalent as we march quietly towards a state of total surveillance.
At what point do we saying breaking the law to prove the government did something wrong is ok?

If you're trying to prove the US government did something wrong and murder 3 people along the way is that ok because you proved government wrong doing? What he did is a very serious crime and he must stand trial.

What makes anyone think he wont get a fair trial. What are you basing that off of. Will he have a defense, be judged by a jury of his peers? Have constitutional protections on illegally seized evidence.

I mean they can literally play his public comments and convict him.

Will FISA stand trial as well?

Why would it? Its a legal court established by congress

esms

You realize everything he revealed wasn't just the US is listening to your phone calls and e-mails? He also revealed stuff like the US is saying mean things about other world leaders or our spies are spying on another countries spies.

What is gained from that? Isn't that why we have spies? I think most Americans would be angry if Snowden had revealed something like US spies aren't actually spying on other countries. Then what the hell do we have an intel network for?

They are listening to our calls and looking at our emails without legitimate warrants. That is kosher with the PATRIOT Act, but a violation of the Fourth Amendment. What don't you get?

BLACKLAC

He's never coming home. Because if he does, he's going away for a very very long time fair trial or not after exposing not only government data collection on its own citizens, but foreign high-value/gov't targets as well. And you cannot tell me he didn't trade even more damaging info for his asylum in Russia. If he comes home, his life is over.

This.

Lost all sympathy when he released activity on foreign targets. Fuck him.

samn

At what point do we saying breaking the law to prove the government did something wrong is ok?

At the point that the wrongdoing that has been exposed is an enormous and ongoing threat to democracy worldwide.

By your logic it was right that Nelson Mandela be locked up.

Snowden deserves a medal of honour, since he took the security and rights of the people above the insane bureaucrats.

I lose faith in humanity for each time a whistle blower gets sentenced as traitor, when they are exposing evil doings done against innocents.

He's a hero.

Blader

The same thing to be gained from whistleblowing in literally every other field of work: putting a spotlight on illegal activity.

Wasn't the information released by Snowden thoroughly vetted to ensure that no one was actually put in harm's way by those secrets coming to light? He wasn't blowing anyone's cover; no one was killed because of the NSA leaks. The only thing hurt was a lot of government egos.

If you maintain that the NSA's overreach of spying and communications monitoring was...well, an overreach, then can how one expect to report that behavior for the sake of reforming it when their employers are the ones perpetrating the behavior in the first place? This is the whole point of whistleblowing, and it's why federal law protects whistleblowers from retaliation in every other industry.

If the government is doing something wrong, and it's a crime to expose said wrongdoing, then you're effectively saying the government should allowed to keep doing that wrong thing until if and when they become bored with it and stop of their own accord.

braves01

Banned
No one in the NSA, the government or past two presidential administrations has stood trial for the crimes of the intelligence community. Hell this isn't even the first time they've committed crimes and gotten away with it. We literally tortured people, violated international law and committed war crimes and so far no one in government has been held accountable. Why should Snowden be held accountable for exposing the crimes of the government against its own people?

I don't think he'd be held accountable for releasing the info about any unconstitutional spying on Americans, it's the release of information about spy activity abroad and on non-citizens--the constitutional spying, so to speak-- that he'd be in trouble for I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom