• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fugitive ex-U.S. spy Snowden in talks on returning home: lawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, no.

The Espionage Act of 1917 isn't some "law he broke" its a very broad statute that has almost never been used

These are the laws he's violated

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/641
Whoever embezzles, steals, purloins, or knowingly converts to his use or the use of another, or without authority, sells, conveys or disposes of any record, voucher, money, or thing of value of the United States or of any department or agency thereof, or any property made or being made under contract for the United States or any department or agency thereof; or
Whoever receives, conceals, or retains the same with intent to convert it to his use or gain, knowing it to have been embezzled, stolen, purloined or converted—
Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; but if the value of such property in the aggregate, combining amounts from all the counts for which the defendant is convicted in a single case, does not exceed the sum of $1,000, he shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.
The word “value” means face, par, or market value, or cost price, either wholesale or retail, whichever is greater.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/793
(d) Whoever, lawfully having possession of, access to, control over, or being entrusted with any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, or note relating to the national defense, or information relating to the national defense which information the possessor has reason to believe could be used to the injury of the United States or to the advantage of any foreign nation, willfully communicates, delivers, transmits or causes to be communicated, delivered, or transmitted or attempts to communicate, deliver, transmit or cause to be communicated, delivered or transmitted the same to any person not entitled to receive it, or willfully retains the same and fails to deliver it on demand to the officer or employee of the United States entitled to receive it; or

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/798
(a) Whoever knowingly and willfully communicates, furnishes, transmits, or otherwise makes available to an unauthorized person, or publishes, or uses in any manner prejudicial to the safety or interest of the United States or for the benefit of any foreign government to the detriment of the United States any classified information—
(1) concerning the nature, preparation, or use of any code, cipher, or cryptographic system of the United States or any foreign government; or
(2) concerning the design, construction, use, maintenance, or repair of any device, apparatus, or appliance used or prepared or planned for use by the United States or any foreign government for cryptographic or communication intelligence purposes; or
(3) concerning the communication intelligence activities of the United States or any foreign government; or
(4) obtained by the processes of communication intelligence from the communications of any foreign government, knowing the same to have been obtained by such processes—
Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

Those seem pretty specific

Nafai1123

Banned
Yeah, no.

The Espionage Act of 1917 isn't some "law he broke" its a very broad statute that has almost never been used

Exactly. The Espionage Act was never used against a whistleblower until Snowden and it's essentially unfightable in court. He will never get a fair trial as long as the US continues to hold this stance.

Deadbeat

Banned
He might have started out exposing gov't surveillance of its own citizens, but he also crossed the line in handing out intelligence secrets to foreign powers and targets that will no doubt have a large effect on intelligence gathering. But everyone wants to wave that off because he shined a light on the gov't collecting your calls and email.
But hes a hero because FUK DA GUVMENT XD!!!

Frog-fu

Banned
The government serves the people, not the other way around. Snowden exposed illegal activity by the government against the people it was meant to serve. I don't consider that a crime. He deserves a full pardon and a hero's return ceremony.

kmax

The man is a hero.

Sacrificing his liberties and privileged position to expose the truth to the world about the shady wrongdoings of government. That's a tall order.

I hope he's able to return home someday.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I doubt he'll ever be able to return home without having to live in fear. Someone will get him legally or not. Our intelligence agencies are extremely vindictive like that.

Crisco

Banned
Yeah, he's a criminal and should go to jail for his actions. Nothing he exposed was illegal, or unknown to Congress. He showed not one single instance of improper use of the information that was being collected. In fact, everything he leaked confirmed the purpose of these programs: to stop terrorist attacks, not spy on Americans. What he did was take a government contracting job for the sole purpose of stealing classified information that could seriously damage our nation's security. That's all very illegal, and deserving of punishment.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm of the opinion the good he did basically is canceled out by the bad. I would not hail him a hero, or the journalists who decided what parts of international actions were relevant.

Neither Snowden nor the Journalists who went through the information he collected had the right to release information on actions taken internationally. Many will disagree here, but I compare it to someone in the CIA releasing information on covert operations.

At the same time, I don't think he should be jailed, as the US violated the trust between it's people and privacy as to what was expected. In particular much of what is done is secret past the point of necessity. What is particularly egregious is the lack of accountability after. I'm of the opinion that law enforcement and anti-terror ops need access to information, but if there is nothing in place to prevent abuse either during or after the actions are taken, it will be abused. So far nothing has been done to try to remedy that.

So many fucking awful Americans in this thread. Government has been killing/cheating/lying for decades, the guy has the guts to show this to everyone, and you're gonna get butthurt over foreign talks and pretend that invalidates the totality of what he did?

Give me a break, its fucking shameful.

Can't wait to hear the bullshit about fair trial. Look around, what stories make you confident in the US justice process, ESPECIALLY when there is a specific goal for those looking to press the charges, to shut him up for being a hero.

benjipwns

Banned
Yeah, he's a criminal and should go to jail for his actions. Nothing he exposed was illegal, or unknown to Congress. He showed not one single instance of improper use of the information that was being collected. In fact, everything he leaked confirmed the purpose of these programs: to stop terrorist attacks, not spy on Americans. What he did was take a government contracting job for the sole purpose of stealing classified information that could seriously damage our nation's security. That's all very illegal, and deserving of punishment.
I'm not sure if I like this gritty reboot where we're supposed to root against the hero of the film.

A decade sure is a long time I guess:
1101021230_400.jpg

MIMIC

Banned
Yes. He did a stint in Europe and was spying with the NSA

I misread the thread title. I thought it said he was spying for another country.

The only thing it confirmed was that it's not working:

An analysis of 225 terrorism cases inside the United States since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks has concluded that the bulk collection of phone records by the National Security Agency “has had no discernible impact on preventing acts of terrorism.”

In the majority of cases, traditional law enforcement and investigative methods provided the tip or evidence to initiate the case, according to the study by the New America Foundation, a Washington-based nonprofit group.
Washington Post

"Traditional law enforcement and investigative methods" help fight terrorism. What a concept.

Oersted

So none.

I don't think there as been a giant dearth of fair trails on national security matters. I don't think people are being convicted of crimes they didn't commit. The opposition seems to be that he's not going to be forgiven for actual crimes because people don't want them to be crimes.

That doesn't seem to be concern with a fair trial but concern that a fair trail will convict him of crimes he's admitted to.

Read your question.

Erm no. It was revealed again and again that they spied on millions of Americans. And no, he didn't join a contractor to steal sensitive data. You are rewriting history.

That private contractors could actually do this, with such an extent, because the goverment granted them so much power, should be a warning sign for you.

Blader

If none of it was improper why did the NSA feel compelled to lie about it for years?

The company line was always that the NSA was not reading civilian emails because: a) they didn't have a warrant to do so, and b) it is illegal to do so without said warrant. Then the Snowden leaks reveal that, contrary to the NSA's public statements, they actually are reading emails and collecting phone data without warrants.

Which part of this do you consider proper use?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
The man is a hero.

Sacrificing his liberties and privileged position to expose the truth to the world about the shady wrongdoings of government. That's a tall order.

yup.

I don't have fond feelings for Snowden as aperson, but he should have a fair trial almost above anyone else - we need to show that our system of justice is good and fair and the country needs to have a longer conversation about the materials he leaked, which are more important than any vain little shit who leaked them. Regardless of what I think of Snowden, I think a lot less of the people in power who were exposed by his actions.

What don't you like about Snowden as a person?

The man is a hero.

Hero? No. Every government has shady wrongdoings. He's a traitor.

slit

What does other governments being shady have to do with his actions?

So because other governments are shady, he should not have released anything? That makes him a traitor?

Crisco

Banned
If none of it was improper why did the NSA feel compelled to lie about it for years?

The company line was always that the NSA was not reading civilian emails because: a) they didn't have a warrant to do so, and b) it is illegal to do so without said warrant. Then the Snowden leaks reveal that, contrary to the NSA's public statements, they actually are reading emails and collecting phone data without warrants.

Which part of this do you consider proper use?

Because it was a clandestine intelligence gathering program and it's literally illegal for anyone at the NSA to talk candidly about it? Spying wasn't invented after 2002 folks, only the methods have changed.

What Snowden "exposed" is that the data collection got too vast to properly audit and monitor, and the potential for improper use. The problem is, he could have done that without compromising the agencies efforts, breaking the law, and actually endangering lives.

Erm no. It was revealed again and again that they spied on millions of Americans. And no, he didn't join a contractor to steal sensitive data. You are rewriting history.

Yes he did. He admitted it was the only reason he sought out and took the job.

WalkMan

Banned

You're going to have to be specific about calling him a traitor. If you emphasized him taking docs without knowing exactly what he was exfiltrating then that's valid. The bulk of the stuff he took were technical stuff meant for all eyes so they're often missing the exact context. Further he dumped the docs without even really identifying what he took. Imagine robbing a bank blind, that's what he did.

If you want to go further, all of the US's enemies have successfully co-opted the leaked tech because of Snowden, he basically gave them a free technological leap-ahead in cyber warfare. But no, let's just outright call him a traitor without reasoning his incompetence and the whys along with discussing the damage he caused.

Because it was a clandestine intelligence gathering program and it's literally illegal for anyone at the NSA to talk candidly about it? Spying wasn't invented after 2002 folks, only the methods have changed.

What Snowden "exposed" is that the data collection got too vast to properly audit and monitor, and the potential for improper use. The problem is, he could have done that without compromising the agencies efforts, breaking the law, and actually endangering lives.

In this case, NSA is actually behind law enforcement. There's been large pushes for the "filtration" concept over on the LE side that's just begun to be implemented. IC have been doing the same thing before the Snowden thing. The concept is basically to filter out all irrelevant data collections, it's kind of a band-aid to bulk collection but it's supposed to minimize collateral data collects before it even reaches the analyst's eyes.

So because other governments are shady, he should not have released anything?

Because releasing things about one government doesn't really put us in a better position. Suddenly you have critical information available to everyone, and it puts us in a disadvantage politically.

So yes, he shouldn't have. He's a traitor. I'm not a patriot, but I'm also not an idiot. I don't need confirmation of what this country has done, but I also wouldn't want that dirty laundry for everyone to see. Hell, years after the fact that Snowden leaked the information now it's like...ok so what? So the NSA taps every thing possible. Nobody in the USA has done anything about it. Other countries have asked us to stop. We still do it. What was the end game? People saying 'Oh the USA is totally evil and shady'? What does that accomplish? Edit-If he did any damage, it was putting soldiers over in the middle east in danger. That enough is to sour him in my eyes.

You're going to have to be specific about calling him a traitor. If you emphasized him taking docs without knowing exactly what he was exfiltrating then that's valid. The bulk of the stuff he took were technical stuff meant for all eyes so they're often missing the exact context. Further he dumped the docs without even really identifying what he took. Imagine robbing a bank blind, that's what he did.

If you want to go further, all of the US's enemies have successfully co-opted the leaked tech because of Snowden, he basically gave them a free technological leap-ahead in cyber warfare. But no, let's just outright call him a traitor without reasoning his incompetence and the whys along with discussing the damage he caused.

He knew exactly what he was taking, though. He didn't just blindly grab documents.

benjipwns

Banned

So because other governments are shady, he should not have released anything? That makes him a traitor?
It's like that other traitorous bastard Solzhenitsyn.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Because releasing things about one government doesn't really put us in a better position. Suddenly you have critical information available to everyone, and it puts us in a disadvantage politically.

So yes, he shouldn't have. He's a traitor. I'm not a patriot, but I'm also not an idiot. I don't need confirmation of what this country has done, but I also wouldn't want that dirty laundry for everyone to see. Hell, years after the fact that Snowden leaked the information now it's like...ok so what? So the NSA taps every thing possible. Nobody in the USA has done anything about it. Other countries have asked us to stop. We still do it. What was the end game? People saying 'Oh the USA is totally evil and shady'? What does that accomplish?

The end game was to make people aware of what was happening and to bring about change in the way the intelligence community works, specifically getting them to recognize the right to privacy of the people it works to protect. But that hasn't happened because people would rather bitch about him rather than the shit the government is doing.

WalkMan

Banned
He knew exactly what he was taking, though. He didn't just blindly grab documents.

He's recanting there. That's like how Al-Qaeda would claim that 9/11 was to draw the US into the Middle East and to force the US to overspend and bankrupt itself. You can go through the leaked NSA docs and realize that half the stuff released is useless without context, and this is context the public won't understand. He pretty much did a hard crawl of the classed network meant for all eyes and did a hard dump.

"Meta-data" doesn't give you the full story about someone. So you still need traditional spies (on the grown) infiltrating organization (cells) to actually combat terrorism.
Right I agree with the deficiencies of just using metadata and I criticize the consumers for relying on two points of intelligence based on such. But I was pointing out NSA's position of contribution in direct strikes against terrorists.

slit

So yes, he shouldn't have. He's a traitor. I'm not a patriot, but I'm also not an idiot. I don't need confirmation of what this country has done, but I also wouldn't want that dirty laundry for everyone to see. Hell, years after the fact that Snowden leaked the information now it's like...ok so what? So the NSA taps every thing possible. Nobody in the USA has done anything about it. Other countries have asked us to stop. We still do it. What was the end game? People saying 'Oh the USA is totally evil and shady'? What does that accomplish? Edit-If he did any damage, it was putting soldiers over in the middle east in danger. That enough is to sour him in my eyes.

So now you're more worried about dirty laundry than what the government does behind all our backs. Yeah, nice priorities there. Then you blame HIM because no one has acted upon the information he released, which makes absolutely no sense.

Crisco

Banned
Why go willingly to jail for xx years? I think you can live pretty comfortable in other countries.

Because he knows he won't anymore, or if he does, it won't be for very long. The man is a celebrity now, between the documentary and now a feature Hollywood film. He might do some time but afterwards he'll live the life of a rockstar. Think Kevin Mitnick. That's way better than bouncing around shithole dictatorships for the rest of your life.

MIMIC

Banned

Who is "us"? The government, or its citizens? Sure the government is worse off. That I don't care about. As for the public: It's NEVER a bad thing to be well-informed, so I don't see how the public is at a disadvantage.

1. It was always believed that only conspiracy nuts thought that the government was illegally collecting information about them. But now it's "lol everyone knew that". But regardless, the government LIED about doing it. I don't know about you, but I'm not OK with my government pandering to me to get voted into office and then lie to me once they're there. Especially about something as serious as 4th Amendment rights.

2. How have his disclosures put the soldiers in danger?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm of the opinion the good he did basically is canceled out by the bad. I would not hail him a hero, or the journalists who decided what parts of international actions were relevant.

Neither Snowden nor the Journalists who went through the information he collected had the right to release information on actions taken internationally. Many will disagree here, but I compare it to someone in the CIA releasing information on covert operations.

At the same time, I don't think he should be jailed, as the US violated the trust between it's people and privacy as to what was expected. In particular much of what is done is secret past the point of necessity. What is particularly egregious is the lack of accountability after. I'm of the opinion that law enforcement and anti-terror ops need access to information, but if there is nothing in place to prevent abuse either during or after the actions are taken, it will be abused. So far nothing has been done to try to remedy that.
This is more or less how I'm feeling these days

Jarmel

Banned
Pretty sure Obama is going to end up pardoning him when all is said and done. He'll come back, be charged, and then pardoned.

So now you're more worried about dirty laundry than what the government does behind all our backs. Yeah, nice priorities there. Then you blame HIM, because no one has acted upon the information he released, which makes absolutely no sense.

Because the Government will keep doing it. The USA isn't a government that you can exactly topple or change their mind. It's sad, but it's the reality of the era we live in. The government is too ingrained that not only will changing their policies take generations(And it's not guaranteed.), but nobody would be against our own safety. If the government stops even one potential terrorist thanks to spying on its people, then can you really be against it? If even one life is saved...yeah it's shitty they spy on people, but they won't stop.

Have you ever wrote a crawler/used before?

Irrelevant. His word is his word. Even if he didn't specifically search for it, he's saying he cared about the safety. He threw out a wide-net in order to catch a few things, ended up catching alot more. Nobody is surprised.

Who is "us"? The government, or its citizens? Sure the government is worse off. That I don't care about. As for the public: It's NEVER a bad thing to be well-informed, so I don't see how the public is at a disadvantage.

USA in general is worse off in it's standing. And it's citizens aren't free from that-Biases against citizens will have formed by different countries.

This is a terrible excuse for the abuse of authority and practically a call for authoritarianism. What a cowardly response to a hero.

He did lose a few sympathy points with me when he accepted to participate in this little televised Q&A session with Putin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLC2WbIaq_Y

I think if Putin wants to have an interview with you, you're gonna have an interview with Putin.

slit

Because the Government will keep doing it. The USA isn't a government that you can exactly topple or change their mind. It's sad, but it's the reality of the era we live in. The government is too ingrained that not only will changing their policies take generations(And it's not guaranteed.), but nobody would be against our own safety. If the government stops even one potential terrorist thanks to spying on its people, then can you really be against it? If even one life is saved...yeah it's shitty they spy on people, but they won't stop.

Oh I see, now we get to it. It's not because of what he did, it's because you prefer the "let's all duck our head in the sand" status quo. Yeah well that doesn't make him a traitor, it makes you a lapdog.

Fair trial? LOL

Want better rights than what America has to provide and ran away to Russia and NOW you wanna come back home? You have no home here.

Oh I see, now we get to it. It's not because of what he did, it's because you prefer the "let's all duck our head in the sand" status quo. Yeah well that doesn't make him a traitor, it makes you a lapdog.

So what have you done today that frees the people from the governments spying? Yeah, we know about it. Now what?

Sane_Man

Some of opinions in this thread are utterly depressing. From the kinds of people who will cover their eyes and ears to any bad thing their government does. Apathy is a dangerous thing. Thankfully people like Snowden actually give a damn and aren't cowards.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

This is a pathetic stance to take and its the reason mass surveillance happens.

'It's too much to ask so why bother?'

These things don't change by attacking the guy who released the evidence , they change by attacking the people who are doing the fucked up shit.

benjipwns

Banned
Pretty sure Obama is going to end up pardoning him when all is said and done. He'll come back, be charged, and then pardoned.
Yeah, the guy who's pardoned or commuted fewer sentences than any President since James Garfield (because he got shot and died...or George Washington if you want Presidents who lived longer) and brags about how he gets to murder people without due process is totally going to pardon a pain in his ass like Snowden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom