• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funko |OT| Once you Pop, the fun don't stop

shingi70

Banned
How do you guys approach buying pops. For me I only mainly buy the DC movie pops, and don't really care about dupes unless the desgin is radically different.

How do you guys approach buying pops. For me I only mainly buy the DC movie pops, and don't really care about dupes unless the desgin is radically different.

If I like a POP, and apathy doesn't overtake me before I finish the checkout process (online) or make it up to the register (retail), then I buy it. I really don't concern myself with completing sets or anything. Most of the human characters come out very bland-looking, so the majority of the ones that interest me are non-human creatures like Stitch, or BB-8.

TripOpt55

My buys have been pretty random. Always stuff I like obviously, but I have a bunch from all over the board. Some were gifts too. I try not to worry about getting whole sets because I feel like it would just get too expensive for me personally. I really love them though and getting a new one is always fun.

IeLG4aK.jpg

SeanC

Got my SDCC Strange and False God in the mail today. Both look great, and Gamestop went above and beyond on the packaging - the box is four times the size it needed to be and packed well. Better safe than sorry.

SeanC

Yeah, The Hot Topic I got too was pretty good as well packing-wise. Guess I've kind of lucked out.

The only issue I've ever had was a Figurarts Kylo Ren I bought that came in a pouch rather than a box and had some crushed edges.

My POPs from Hot Topic came in a box that barely looked big enough to contain two POPs.

I got two Pops in one box like that, too, but I think it works out okay. Sandwiched together like that, they have no room to really move around and get damaged. I got a single Pop from them, and it was the same size box but with a ton of bubble wrap

Zero315

Banned
My buys have been pretty random. Always stuff I like obviously, but I have a bunch from all over the board. Some were gifts too. I try not to worry about getting whole sets because I feel like it would just get too expensive for me personally. I really love them though and getting a new one is always fun.

This is how I approach it as well, I buy what I want and don't worry about finishing sets unless I want to. I'd say probably about 2/3 of my collection is DC, I tend to stay away from Marvel and company due to the bobble heads.

Got a few pops as gifts for my birthday yesterday. GotG Thanos (my first 6" pop), regular SS Joker, and Holtzman from Ghostbusters.

Gamestop order came in as well, Doctor Strange is amazing and the False God pop is cool. Face is a bit smudged but eh, I can live with it.

Still waiting on fye....

Ronabo

I'm focusing on mostly female Pops from things I like. Except for stuff like Voltron and Freddy Kruger.

The_Kid

Debating pulling the trigger on a set of the Steven Universe Funkos since there isn't much other merch for the show.

Why are the "pre-release" stickered ones so much more spendy?

Debating pulling the trigger on a set of the Steven Universe Funkos since there isn't much other merch for the show.

Why are the "pre-release" stickered ones so much more spendy?

The Hot Topic ones are glow-in-the-dark. I still haven't bought them. I'm hoping for proper vinyl figures from kidrobot or something of a decent size like that.

The_Kid

The Hot Topic ones are glow-in-the-dark. I still haven't bought them. I'm hoping for proper vinyl figures from kidrobot or something of a decent size like that.

I don't even mean the glow in the dark ones. If I bought Amethyst with a "pre release" sticker on it from Hot Topic versus a regular one from hot topic, the price is 20 dollars difference.

I dunno if the value of these things stays enough for it to be worth it though.

I don't even mean the glow in the dark ones. If I bought Amethyst with a "pre release" sticker on it from Hot Topic versus a regular one from hot topic, the price is 20 dollars difference.

I dunno if the value of these things stays enough for it to be worth it though.

Hot Topic gets certain POPs early. It may matter to some collectors, but I don't think it really matters if you just want the figures.

The_Kid

Hot Topic gets certain POPs early. It may matter to some collectors, but I don't think it really matters if you just want the figures.

Part of the pleasure of nenderoids and funkos for me (and any other figure) is keeping em boxed and having something with some actual resale value (even though I'll most likely never resell them), just because I feel weird spending so much on pieces of plastic. So if one is worth more I;d want that? I don't really know much about the values of funkos over time.

That being said, I would kill for a Steven Universe Nenderoid.

That being said, I would kill for a Steven Universe Nenderoid.

I don't think that's very likely. Adventure Time seems to be the thing with the most similar marketability to Steven and that series hasn't gotten any Nendos. But then, no one saw that Korra Nendoroid coming, either.

Zero315

Banned
Yesss! Fye came through and shipped out my Scott Pilgrim 3 pack! Popcultcha also shipped out my GitD White Lantern Firestorm.

Hot Topic can die in a fiery wreck. I posted before how I placed an order shortly after their Comic Con Exclusives went up, and then they email me 3 days later saying one of them wasn't available.

Well, I get this in my inbox this morning;

Yes, let me review on an item you sold to me, then told me was sold out, and never got.

Goliath

For me, I don't collect Pops to collect Pops. They kind of accent things I like and already collect. I usually display them unboxed with their reference media. Like I have my Game of Thrones, GI Joe, and He man DVDs displayed with their Pops. I also have all my Street Fighter movies and comics displayed and waiting to have Street Fighter pops around them.

SeanC

I went by Hot Topic to spend some discounts and pick up some exclusives. Luke Bespin. 9th Doctor. But saw they had the HT Exclusive Jareth and boy...it might just be my favorite Pop. They had about six.

It's all about his balls. And the pants bulge. And the hair sculpt that takes up half the size of the thing. It's so ridiculous I love it. Plus it's Bowie, if they did a full line of Bowie Pops I'd die. Cover all his incarnations.

Apparently the price for this one is already rising, I think I kind of lucked out.

The_Kid

Was looking at the value of some of the Gears freebies I picked up at SDCC and then saw they sold a variant Gears pop that is going for like 200?

That's insane.

People are insane.

I should have tried the funko line

I've been checking the stock on Dr. Harleen every day for stores in my area since late July (and back in June when it was originally supposed to be released) and it has never popped up. If I somehow missed it, I'm going to be pretty miffed.

LycanXIII

My Walmart had a Pop display out for a couple months, then right before the SS Pops release they got rid of it and put the remainders in the clearance section. I thought they would never get the Harleen/Joker ones so I gave up looking. Went and bought the new Harry Potter book and walked through the aisle and found one of each of them. They were clearance price too.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Saw the Mega Man POPs at Gamestop today. Proto Man looks rad, but I was already buying Space Ghost to finish that set.

The Mega Man ones are so awesome! I've been wanting Mega Man forever, and the fact that they didn't just put them on default bodies is amazing. I can see the GS variants being an easy pass, but I'm hoping we get a lot more!

The Mega Man ones are so awesome! I've been wanting Mega Man forever, and the fact that they didn't just put them on default bodies is amazing. I can see the GS variants being an easy pass, but I'm hoping we get a lot more!

I don't think they were variants. Just the regular ones.

SeanC

Not a fan of the Mega Men. I think it's because they're actually really close to the 8-bit design but the eyes throw it off - Mega Man's eyes being a major part of his art design - and there's a disconnect for me. Like, it's almost there but that makes it weird.

Top Bottom