• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funko |OT| Once you Pop, the fun don't stop

SeanC

Are the Smugglers Bounty subscriptions worth it? What kinds of cool stuff do you usually get in it.

It's about 50/50. There's some I don't care for and are just variants to current Pops, but when they hit some of the major ones (like Boba Fett, IG88 or Han on Tauntan) it makes me glad I subscribed.

They can fuck off with the Hikari's though. Then again, that means they might do a mug instead which would be worse.

zeemumu

Sheeeit.

Probably not going to get him, but I'll stop by Monday anywho.

When I got there (this was at around 9AM this morning) I could tell that I wasn't the first to walk in and ask because the moment I asked the lady in the toy section a question, the other women down the aisle knew exactly what I was asking for and redirected me to electronics, who confirmed the street date and that they were given a grand total of 5, and made it very, very clear that I'd have to haul ass if I wanted one.

Are the Smugglers Bounty subscriptions worth it? What kinds of cool stuff do you usually get in it.

Honestly, don't sub. Just wait till there's a box that for sure has a pop you like (they've been revealing them beforehand a lot recently) and then use the account to buy past boxes you know have contents you want.

LycanXIII

It's about 50/50. There's some I don't care for and are just variants to current Pops, but when they hit some of the major ones (like Boba Fett, IG88 or Han on Tauntan) it makes me glad I subscribed.

They can fuck off with the Hikari's though. Then again, that means they might do a mug instead which would be worse.

Do people actually use stuff from their Home line? Like the salt and pepper shakers?

You can do that? How does that work.

Once you order your first box, you can go into your account and access past boxes for purchase. You can then just cancel your sub until they release another box you want to buy. Unless you buy the full year sub for the bonus gift, the only benefit to maintaining a sub is getting the boxes a little early (but at the risk of being disappointed).

So a page or so ago someone mentioned having a Pop that was worth a lot, so I looked up the value of the only special Pop I have, the 2011 SDCC Mr Incredible I gave my dad years ago. $450!! O: I told my dad, "I'm rich!" he jokes, haha. I don't think I've ever owned a collectible that appreciated that much. I have some Lego sets that are rare but nothing like that.

Then I realized, at the studio I work at FUNKO sent us prototype CatBug POPs, but the colors got fucked up and they're like fetus red instead of grey blue. I looked online and there's no record of them I could find. Anyone have any idea how to figure out if they're worth anything? It actually looks very similar to the NYCC glowing CatBug but as far as I know it doesn't glow. Maybe they turned the defect color into a special edition? I wonder if there's anyone at work I could ask about that...

Once you order your first box, you can go into your account and access past boxes for purchase. You can then just cancel your sub until they release another box you want to buy. Unless you buy the full year sub for the bonus gift, the only benefit to maintaining a sub is getting the boxes a little early (but at the risk of being disappointed).
Ah dope, thanks. Do you know when I should expect episode 8 stuff? I'll probably wait til then to order unless I buy one as a gift.

So a page or so ago someone mentioned having a Pop that was worth a lot, so I looked up the value of the only special Pop I have, the 2011 SDCC Mr Incredible I gave my dad years ago. $450!! O: I told my dad, "I'm rich!" he jokes, haha. I don't think I've ever owned a collectible that appreciated that much. I have some Lego sets that are rare but nothing like that.

Then I realized, at the studio I work at FUNKO sent us prototype CatBug POPs, but the colors got fucked up and they're like fetus red instead of grey blue. I looked online and there's no record of them I could find. Anyone have any idea how to figure out if they're worth anything? It actually looks very similar to the NYCC glowing CatBug but as far as I know it doesn't glow. Maybe they turned the defect color into a special edition? I wonder if there's anyone at work I could ask about that...
Check ebay to see if someone had sold one of those and for how much?

Sponge

Banned

You got the SDCC Mr. Incredible? Nice.

As far as a red Catbug, I know they came out with an FYE exclusive "Bugcat" that was red.

zeemumu

Right now the goal is to be able to get the Qui Gon Pop on Monday, and hopefully it'll have the same level of rarity as the Haunted Mansion Pops and I can go to the local Collectibles place and trade one of the Pops vendors for a Hatbox Ghost so I can give it to a friend as a birthday present.

Either that or I'll just keep it for myself.

SeanC

Do people actually use stuff from their Home line? Like the salt and pepper shakers?

I don't think so. Other than a couple of mugs in their boxes (Marvel Box has done one or two also) they don't put anything else in there in that line.

I can see people going after those for specific characters they collect for (you want all Iron Man stuff, get an Iron Man mug etc...) but tossing in those are just a waste because it's a narrow market to begin with.

Not sure what my most expensive Pop is. Have to do some checking. I do have a couple Indiana Jones (non SDCC :( ) and some exclusives. Will have to look.

LycanXIII

I don't think so. Other than a couple of mugs in their boxes (Marvel Box has done one or two also) they don't put anything else in there in that line.

I can see people going after those for specific characters they collect for (you want all Iron Man stuff, get an Iron Man mug etc...) but tossing in those are just a waste because it's a narrow market to begin with.

Not sure what my most expensive Pop is. Have to do some checking. I do have a couple Indiana Jones (non SDCC :( ) and some exclusives. Will have to look.

The DC Legacy Box had a Batman and Robin Salt and Pepper shaker set in it.

shanafan

I want to preorder the 4 WWE Pops coming out from GameStop's website, but they want to charge me $5.99 in shipping PER Pop. That's plain dumb. They all have the same release date.

Fucking finally they make some decent AoT characters.

FNK14856.jpg
FNK14857.jpg

FNK14854.jpg
FNK14855.jpg

gsrjedi

Got the Disney Treasures box today. The map on the inside has the themes for each box. I Linda like how it makes them all feel connected. The themes are: Festival of Friends, Ever After Castle, Snowflake Mountain, Haunted Forest, & Tiny Town. The tin with scenes from the Pirates ride is my favorite part. I hope each box comes with a tin like that. Hell, I'd pay for some

zeemumu

Got the Disney Treasures box today. The map on the inside has the themes for each box. I Linda like how it makes them all feel connected. The themes are: Festival of Friends, Ever After Castle, Snowflake Mountain, Haunted Forest, & Tiny Town. The tin with scenes from the Pirates ride is my favorite part. I hope each box comes with a tin like that. Hell, I'd pay for some

Haunted forest, you say...guess I'm jumping in at the October box

Target has royally fucked up with Qui Gon. Today the street date randomly lifted at around 3 PM PST. Stores by me instantly sold out. They are still telling people on twitter the street date is 4/17. Dont think ive seen a store fuck up a shared con pop this bad before

Zero315

Banned

I've used the mugs for like chili and oatmeal, basically like bowls. Don't think I've ever used them to drink out of.

Accoding to PPG mine is the Sex Bob-omb 3 pack at $95. My next highest isn't anywhere near that, it's the NYCC Olivia Moore at $37.

Yep.

They have decent weight to them, but the paint jobs are terrible are they don't even function well. The holes on top are waaay too fucking big, the fill holes are weirdly positioned on the back and near the top instead of the bottom, and the plastic piece to close the fill hole falls out of my Robin one.

For those of you who have sold any of your Pops, do you do it through the Pop Price Guide site or eBay or Craig's List or the BST thread here on GAF or ... ?

I am actually considering whether I'd part with the Gandalf w Hat and my Drogon/Rhaegal/Viseron triplet and the RV Walker from TWD. I have a couple others that are actually considered more valuable in the mix (a Mr. Incredible for $95 & a Grumpy for $80 that I won't part with) but there are a couple in there I could actually be okay with selling.

zeemumu

Are they closed? My local Barnes & Noble is going to be open, which I just find insane. They must really be hurting if they're that hard-up for money.

Target's gonna be closed on Sunday, yeah. I'm planning to make a run to the store on Monday morning but I guess I'll start updating their site at midnight on easter just in case. Might save me some trouble.

zeemumu

theyve been telling people it will be very early sunday morning. But I dont trust target at all with dates anymore

Well it's either that or attempt to grab one of the 5 that the closest Target to me has. Odds are I'll end up trying both, provided I can stay awake long enough to keep refreshing the page. If I had to take a guess I'd put the online at 3AM EST at the earliest. That's what they did back when I was hunting the Limited Edition Majora's Mask 3DS XL

Check ebay to see if someone had sold one of those and for how much?
Checked ebay, nothing. The story we got was that they did a run and the colors got fucked up. They sent us two prototypes but I don't know if they were the only two or if a whole batch got fucked up. If it was a whole batch, then I'm inclined to believe the NYCC Catbug is the fuckups but sprayed with a layer of whatever makes things glow in the dark, 'cause there's a second GitD Catbug that Funko made that is the normal blue-grey color, and I don't think Catbug has ever been this color in the show so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me why they'd randomly choose it otherwise.

Either that, or maybe they sent us the goofs, and someone said "These look cool, make more as an exclusive variant!" but I have no idea who here would have been the one to make that call or who to ask about it.

I mean in the grand scheme of things it's not super important but I am very curious as to why they look so close to the GitD NYCC Catbugs when we were told they were production errors. I need to take one into a closet at work and see if they glow too, but they don't appear to have that second layer on them of glowy stuff.

You got the SDCC Mr. Incredible? Nice.

As far as a red Catbug, I know they came out with an FYE exclusive "Bugcat" that was red.
Yeah I have Bugcat in my office :D

And yeah, SDCC '11 Mr Incredible was actually my very first Funko POP! I was at SDCC looking for something for my dad (I always try to bring my parents back little trinkets from SDCC) and I saw the Mr Incredible. I like to get them things exclusive to SDCC so it seemed perfect. Had no idea it'd appreciate so much! I wish I'd gotten some of the other exclusives they had!

Well it's either that or attempt to grab one of the 5 that the closest Target to me has. Odds are I'll end up trying both, provided I can stay awake long enough to keep refreshing the page. If I had to take a guess I'd put the online at 3AM EST at the earliest. That's what they did back when I was hunting the Limited Edition Majora's Mask 3DS XL

Yeah I think i remember their SDCC slimer pop and the golden girls reaction NYCC figures going up around midnight PST. Idk if they have a universal time they update their site with new product. Its annoying they wont just say a specific time. But they are giving dumb vague answers to people like "earlier than the early bird rises for the worm." Like seriously, stop playing with people, they already lied to people for weeks about the street date that was lifted today.

zeemumu

Yeah I think i remember their SDCC slimer pop and the golden girls reaction NYCC figures going up around midnight PST. Idk if they have a universal time they update their site with new product. Its annoying they wont just say a specific time. But they are giving dumb vague answers to people like "earlier than the early bird rises for the worm." Like seriously, stop playing with people, they already lied to people for weeks about the street date that was lifted today.

Maybe they're doing it to give people a fighting chance against the scalpers by not giving anyone the specific time so they can't get the jump on it.

My wife got me the Hot Topic exclusive Mei and I found the Mad Moxxi rock candy chase today. I've been on a roll finding chases lately. Which means I'll never find that Riddler chase

zeemumu

My wife got me the Hot Topic exclusive Mei and I found the Mad Moxxi rock candy chase today. I've been on a roll finding chases lately. Which means I'll never find that Riddler chase

I saw that Mei today when I was picking up a 2nd Han Solo exclusive so I could have one after I gave the other to my friend. I wonder if I should've gotten it. Odds on it going away forever?

I saw that Mei today when I was picking up a 2nd Han Solo exclusive so I could have one after I gave the other to my friend. I wonder if I should've gotten it. Odds on it going away forever?

My wife said she got there right when they opened them. Four people were waiting for it behind her too. I'm gonna assume it'll be rare. It's also one of the best looking pops imo

zeemumu

My wife said she got there right when they opened them. Four people were waiting for it behind her too. I'm gonna assume it'll be rare. It's also one of the best looking pops imo

They had quite a few when I was in there and only one lady was trying to buy them. I'll go back today when the mall opens.

Checked ebay, nothing. The story we got was that they did a run and the colors got fucked up. They sent us two prototypes but I don't know if they were the only two or if a whole batch got fucked up. If it was a whole batch, then I'm inclined to believe the NYCC Catbug is the fuckups but sprayed with a layer of whatever makes things glow in the dark, 'cause there's a second GitD Catbug that Funko made that is the normal blue-grey color, and I don't think Catbug has ever been this color in the show so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me why they'd randomly choose it otherwise.

Either that, or maybe they sent us the goofs, and someone said "These look cool, make more as an exclusive variant!" but I have no idea who here would have been the one to make that call or who to ask about it.

I mean in the grand scheme of things it's not super important but I am very curious as to why they look so close to the GitD NYCC Catbugs when we were told they were production errors. I need to take one into a closet at work and see if they glow too, but they don't appear to have that second layer on them of glowy stuff.

Yeah I have Bugcat in my office :D

And yeah, SDCC '11 Mr Incredible was actually my very first Funko POP! I was at SDCC looking for something for my dad (I always try to bring my parents back little trinkets from SDCC) and I saw the Mr Incredible. I like to get them things exclusive to SDCC so it seemed perfect. Had no idea it'd appreciate so much! I wish I'd gotten some of the other exclusives they had!

I did a quick search on "most valuable Funko Pops" and came up with some pretty amazing prices. Like, there's only 10 metallic Stan Lee's in the world and they fetch a small fortune when someone sells one of them. I imagine if you have something that there's really only two of, and it was part of some sort of production blunder, that it's potentially obscenely valuable.

I remember when I collected baseball cards when I was younger, the most valuable ones would be those where something got screwed up, like a spelling error, and the card would be corrected, but maybe a handful of the fucked up ones got out into the wild.

You could reach out to one of the Funko web sites or the Pop Price Guide I mentioned, send them an email and describe what you have, see if they can either point you in a direction or give you some info. Not sure what other suggestions to offer you. Many people see these as $10 toys for their kids, but over time they turn into pretty valuable pieces (depending on how many were produced). You have something that there might only be a couple of in the entire world. That usually makes them extremely valuable.

Protos are really hard to put a value on, I have a couple of the dishonored mystery mini ones. The all white protos usually go for more than the colored ones. It's one of those thing you just have to put up for auction and hope for the best. I would start it around at least 100 though. With white protos, there's usually only one in the wild. With colored, there's usually maybe 3-4

I put my collection into the price guide site. Soldier:76 was my highest as well.

My second highest, which shocked me, was Hong Kong Phooey. I got him as a gag present for a Secret Santa! Kind of tempted to try and sell him now.

Top Bottom