• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FurryGAF |OT| They should have sent a veterinarian

Except writing is /way/ easier, takes less time, and you can have infinitely more detail, cover more time, change scenes instantly, and write about anything you can imagine. The only real hurdle is fundamentals, like grammar and learning how to write in an interesting cadence. And best of all, the people that read can fill in details with their imagination, which makes it more personal to them.

With drawing, you have to learn *how* to draw things, how to render them, light and shade, material properties, and for each additional item in the scene the time to completion goes up exponentially. And then one wrong line, and the whole drawing's gestalt dissolves, and it looks bad.

Not saying one is better than the other, but while art can be more immediately appreciated, that's only because there was *much* more lead-up production time to that single image.

And then people take one look, and move on. A thousand hours to draw, one second to go 'meh' at. :p

Sounds like something that gives you little for the amount of effort you spend.

But still, I do enjoy drawing when I get a chance to do so!

Speaking of which, on writing...I should go ahead and complete the second half of my sona's text description.

Kater

Banned
Marketing.

Though these days, he also looks like a single gay father raising a son, if you watch the ads.

Is it the scarf? :p

But yeah, the design changed a lot.

r4mJhle.jpg

I actually like the original design a lot better.

nUWQP3v.jpg

OgHpCQE.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Do I need to remind you that "healthy" isn't a tower of show muscles? :p In fact, that's considered very unhealthy, since there is no longevity to it (unless you win the genetic lottery).

How Tony looks in that image is actually far more in line with the strongman type, legitimately powerful with strong core. Whereas the Mr Universe guys are sickly, dehydrated, stressed and starving, and usually collapse right after showing off their shiny oily bodies in competitions.

Read what I said - I know bbers aren't exactly healthy. But don't forget that Tony is an athlete. Not a power lifter, but an "all purpose" athlete, so he should at least have a triangular body at least.

Boss Doggie

Also watching Pokemon anime streams made me laugh at Japanese Tony if only for the Japanese version of the catchphrase.

GUREITOOOOOOOOOO!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Except writing is /way/ easier, takes less time, and you can have infinitely more detail, cover more time, change scenes instantly, and write about anything you can imagine. The only real hurdle is fundamentals, like grammar and learning how to write in an interesting cadence. And best of all, the people that read can fill in details with their imagination, which makes it more personal to them.

With drawing, you have to learn *how* to draw things, how to render them, light and shade, material properties, and for each additional item in the scene the time to completion goes up exponentially. And then one wrong line, and the whole drawing's gestalt dissolves, and it looks bad.

Not saying one is better than the other, but while art can be more immediately appreciated, that's only because there was *much* more lead-up production time to that single image.

And then people take one look, and move on. A thousand hours to draw, one second to go 'meh' at. :p

I don't think I'd say writing is easier. Like any form of expression, there is no end to the refinement of storytelling and wordcraft. (Any decent writer who has struggled over a sentence for a week will probably back this up.)

Artists punish themselves over a perceived failure to be noticed and have their efforts validated. The difference between visual art and the written word is that the audience barrier of entry is far lower for the visual. With a story, your audience has no choice but to dig into the work in order to experience it. As a result, it's a bit more likely they will consider it for more than five seconds before looking away in distraction. And that means more people in the audience may appreciate what went into it.

But the real reward for visual art is its immediacy. The point of the thousand hours put into a picture is to hope for this reaction the moment someone sees it:

cL5KWd1.gif

Whether it comes from a viewer or the artist themselves. That is the power of the visual and why it calls people to express themselves with it. Though I also tend to agree with the notion that it is the process and not the result which sustains the artist. The reason you keep coming back to this is because there's something yet left to do.

badrang

I am not entirely sure if I am a fan of FA's new look. Not at all.

Yeah it's pretty fucking bad.

-Search is broken
-UI elements are all over the place...strange choices in font and font size.
-Layout doesn't resize well when you snap the browser window.
-Tiny thumbnails.
-You have these annoying ad side bars, takes up way too much space. Gotta have them imvu ads.
-Too much scrolling on smaller screens. Site is useless on mobile.

Yeah what's up with the changed layout

Changed to make space for ads (that don't show up in every region, so you might not have seen them). Expect to see a lot of changes, as the new holding company tries to squeeze profitability out of the dud site they just bought. They already got caught selling people's art without permission in their chat client store.

Kater

Banned
Changed to make space for ads (that don't show up in every region, so you might not have seen them). Expect to see a lot of changes, as the new holding company tries to squeeze profitability out of the dud site they just bought. They already got caught selling people's art without permission in their chat client store.
Wasn't that just users uploading them and not the imvu team?

But yeah, it's really messy. Just a lot of unnecessary hassle for all the artists on the site and the changes to the layout are also annoying.

Xaltheron

I'm usually pretty tolerant of ads, but having a massive sidebar that pushes the picture you're trying to look at to the left is just obtrusive, aka not how ads should be done.

As a rule, anything that causes people to get riled up is likely to get reverted. Nobody likes losing users.

If they stick with it, they end up getting what they deserved. Good on them for going back to how things were.

Kater

Banned
Yeah, the similarities between those two things are there, tho the outrage over the Steam change and the changes to FA were on a bit of a different scale though. FA's changes to the layout were a rather minimal problem and were quickly fixed by a very light greasemonkey script while the system Beth/Steam tried to create was something that wouldn't be so easily fixed. :p

Edit:

That's a pretty nice-looking sandwich!

tumblr_nniqp7fHtS1qjkn0uo1_1280.jpg

Artist and the source of the image can be found here on tumblr.

Boss Doggie

So uh I'm in a pickle.

I drew a pic (click if you are interested, warning amateur art) and uploaded it to FA, weasyl, SF, and pixiv. However I realized that I forgot to add color to one of the toes. While I was able to update fine, pixiv requires premium for you to reupload on an existing submission.

So I know their Google Play app has a free 30 day trial. I figured why not and decided to do it, hoping to cancel the deal the moment I uploaded the correct version. Registering for premium requires you to automatically put payment method and it seems my network provider supports billing through using the prepaid load of the phone. I didn't mind since it's not like I will go for a subscription anyway.

So there, I was able to resubmit. Now I want to unsubscribe, but I couldn't find it in the menu of the Pixiv app. I kinda worry now... Surely they would automatically unsubscribe if they see my prepaid load insufficient right?

Boss Doggie

Try unsubscribing from the main site instead. If you don't do anything, you will be charged regardless of what you have.
it says that I can only unsubscribe via the app

I thought my situation would be like below though

If you paid by e-money or through the convenience store, once your funds for Premium run out it will automatically cancel. Please note that if you were to cancel before your Premium period runs out, you will not be refunded for the time left.

Kater

Banned
That's a really cute and funny comic strip, Mik. I like it. :)

Also, is that a new blog now, will you leave the other and only use this one or is it mainly just for comics?

That's a really cute and funny comic strip, Mik. I like it. :)

Also, is that a new blog now, will you leave the other and only use this one or is it mainly just for comics?

minotaurus-rex.tumblr.com is for my art, and random reblogs. It's not changing, and most of my art will go there.

minorextales-justin.tumblr.com is for this one specific comic, for its duration.

I will make other minorextales-<insertnamehere> comics, as they happen or are commissioned.

EDIT: Today's paint:

Boss Doggie

(sorry for late reply, am at work)

So I went and downloaded the app, and subscribed to Pixiv Premium. According to the method I used, Google Wallet would be where you can manage your sub, including canceling:

https://wallet.google.com/manage/w/0/#subscriptions:

Try that, and see where it takes ya.

I didn't use Google Wallet for it though, like I said I use the network provider's own billing method which was using the prepaid load of the sim card.

I didn't use Google Wallet for it though, like I said I use the network provider's own billing method which was using the prepaid load of the sim card.
Hmm - well I couldn't tell you anything else without knowing said network provider. I'd probably look into that feature and figure out where you can track your existing subs using that service.

Boss Doggie

Hmm - well I couldn't tell you anything else without knowing said network provider. I'd probably look into that feature and figure out where you can track your existing subs using that service.

According to pixiv it should be in the app itself so I am confused at the moment.

Kater

Banned
minotaurus-rex.tumblr.com is for my art, and random reblogs. It's not changing, and most of my art will go there.

minorextales-justin.tumblr.com is for this one specific comic, for its duration.

I will make other minorextales-<insertnamehere> comics, as they happen or are commissioned.

Ah, makes sense I guess. Showing some stuff like comics separately on one blog and posting portraits and maybe experimental art on the other blog.

And nice drawing. Really liking those shiny horns. ^w^

According to pixiv it should be in the app itself so I am confused at the moment.
Well, if it helps, see what it says here:

1. On desktop Pixiv, go to settings>premium member.
2. If you get the long page, scroll to the bottom and click "Confirm or Change Registration Settings".
3. After signing in, you should see something like this:
5eDkZFG.png

If you can't cancel through there, then a message will come up showing where you can cancel - since I used GW (and it appears as a subscription in my app list), this is what appears for me:
VrNr9F4.png

I see nothing related to subscriptions within the app itself.

Ah, makes sense I guess. Showing some stuff like comics separately on one blog and posting portraits and maybe experimental art on the other blog.

And nice drawing. Really liking those shiny horns. ^w^

Thanks. You're overthinking the tumblr split though - I have my main art blog, and the minorextales one is for a webcomic that contains adult content, which I don't want to show on my main art blog.

Xaltheron

Playable chameleons? They've already convinced me to back Yooka-Laylee :p

I hadn't seen your tumblr before, some awesome stuff there.
I'll be following the comic too ;)

Boss Doggie

Nevermind, it wasn't showing because I was logging in at Google Wallet with a different account lol

Yay Kemoket is coming soon! Yay for new doujin!

Kater

Banned
Unless you are an artist or fursuiter and want everyone to easily find you there is not much of a reason to get a similar or the same nick you use elsewhere, I think.

Top Bottom