• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FurryGAF |OT| They should have sent a veterinarian

Foxyone

Random question, but would you guys ever feel weird using a crop of a pic of someone's fursona as your avatar somewhere? Was thinking of using a new Steam pic, but felt a bit odd using one that's of someone's fursona.

Random question, but would you guys ever feel weird using a crop of a pic of someone's fursona as your avatar somewhere? Was thinking of using a new Steam pic, but felt a bit odd using one that's of someone's fursona.
I know little about this but I'm guessing you should ask for permission from the person it's for.

Wulfric

That would freak me out a bit, personally. A fursona is supposed to be representation of myself, so seeing someone else use it would be strange.

Chuck

Still without luck
Pretty sure I've done that on here before, but stopped after considering it's somewhat oddness.

Furry artist characters are a-ok tho!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

does using beefed up copyrighted characters count as this

It's a bit weird but I wouldn't stress it. If anything, if you're worried bout giving back to the creator just mention who's character it is in your profile

Chuck

Still without luck
Finally got my copy!

E6VNsYe.jpg
It's awesome! A cute little story and a lil hot, and onta's comic takes up half of the book. It's also followed by another comic with animal people.

Wulfric

Ehh, I'm not feeling the art but I'm glad Image chose to pick up what is clearly a very furry centric comic.

I've been meaning to ask, is there a m/m story in there by chance? ._.

Wulfric

Yeah it's all gay

Awesome, I'll call the local shop tomorrow and see if they have a copy left. They have it on their new release list, but I doubt they ordered much extra.

Now if only they started carrying Sofawolf's Heat. xD

Boss Doggie

So I need some pointers/help

I'll be using a pentablet soon so that means I won't be using the pen tool anymore. The problem is that when you draw say a line in PS and want to resize it, it gets blurry. With the pen tool I can create a "skeleton" and you can auto-"stroke" that skeleton line, meaning I adjust the size fine without worrying of blur.

Maybe it's due to the program? I've seen a friend of mine draw in a different program, but when he resizes his lines they don't go blurry.

MayMay

Banned
So I need some pointers/help

I'll be using a pentablet soon so that means I won't be using the pen tool anymore. The problem is that when you draw say a line in PS and want to resize it, it gets blurry. With the pen tool I can create a "skeleton" and you can auto-"stroke" that skeleton line, meaning I adjust the size fine without worrying of blur.

Maybe it's due to the program? I've seen a friend of mine draw in a different program, but when he resizes his lines they don't go blurry.

Paint Tool SAI might have what you're looking for. You can create special Lineart layers that you can draw on like any other layer, but every stroke gets transformed into an editable vector line that you can transform in various ways, just like paths you create with the pen tool in Photoshop. It's quite handy.

Boss Doggie

Paint Tool SAI might have what you're looking for. You can create special Lineart layers that you can draw on like any other layer, but every stroke gets transformed into an editable vector line that you can transform in various ways, just like paths you create with the pen tool in Photoshop. It's quite handy.

Ooo that's up my alley.

D-Pad

Clip Studio Paint has that too, fyi. More expensive than SAI I think, but it's another option.

Edit - Also draw at a high resolution.

Chuck

Still without luck
So I'm thinking about finally making a fursona >.> I've got the basic stuff down but just need to figure out a name and ref sheet artist.

Wulfric

That's funny, because I don't have a fursona myself even though I've been visiting furry sites for years. I think I'm a fox or something, I'm not quite sure.

Wait, are you telling me the OP of FurryGAF doesn't have a fursona? ఠ_ఠ

So I'm thinking about finally making a fursona >.> I've got the basic stuff down but just need to figure out a name and ref sheet artist.

Yas, do it. It took me years to get around to this myself, and I don't know why. I've always "been" a coyote, just never bothered quantifying it.

MayMay

Banned
I've been wanting to come up with one for years, and I have plenty of ideas - but it's quite hard to settle for something. I'm never quite happy with what I come up with..

Hi everyone, btw. Pretty cool that there's a FurryGAF.. there really is a community thread for everything.

Finally got my copy!

It's awesome! A cute little story and a lil hot, and onta's comic takes up half of the book. It's also followed by another comic with animal people.

I actually thought about ordering a copy.. I'm not the biggest fan of ontas art but I kind of want to support this so that we can get more properly published furry comics.

Wulfric

Aww, the comic shop said they wouldn't get a second shipment of Island until Friday. That's what I get for dawdling I guess.

Oh, I got this 5'x7' sketch from Kenket a while back; thought y'all might like it.

HzopnBU.jpg

Chuck

Still without luck
I think I'm going to try updating the OP tonight. If anyone has any ideas/contributions, please send me a PM! If you want to answer the what does furry mean to you question, if you have artists you want to add, etcetera.

Boss Doggie

Another question, does vector layer in SAI and Clip Studio retain line thickness?

I realized I have Manga Studio which has vector layers, but when I tried resizing a line, while it kept the quality in check the thickness of the line increased rather than maintaining it.

MayMay

Banned
Another question, does vector layer in SAI and Clip Studio retain line thickness?

I realized I have Manga Studio which has vector layers, but when I tried resizing a line, while it kept the quality in check the thickness of the line increased rather than maintaining it.

Just checked in SAI, and it seems to retain the line thickness.

Here, I drew a line - duplicated it and scaled it up quite a bit -- and the thickness stayed the same. No idea if its the same in Clip Studio though.

Hope that helps.

Funny, I got the last copy of Island #6 at my local comic store and everywhere me or my friends have been since are all sold out. Seems like this one might be flying off the shelves. Wonder if that means good things towards the future of mainstream printed furry comics.

Boss Doggie

Just checked in SAI, and it seems to retain the line thickness.

Here, I drew a line - duplicated it and scaled it up quite a bit -- and the thickness stayed the same. No idea if its the same in Clip Studio though.

Hope that helps.

yep, just tried it in SAI

manga studio tho, when I resized a line art larger, the thickness went with it rather than keeping it

D-Pad

Oh, I see what you're saying. You want it to retain the same width when resizing. I guess SAI is better for that. Still, if it helps, there's a tool in Clip/Manga Studio that let's you change the width of a vector line by just tracing over it. It's under Correct Line -> Redraw vector line width.

I should use the vector line layer more, but whenever I remember it's a thing I've already inked half of the picture. :(

Chuck

Still without luck
So I'm going to be doing a new feature in this thread. It's an idea I came up with when starting to fix the OP and it's called...

Crzh8v6.png

Thanks D-Pad for the shiny new banners :)

This first month's artist is ...

HappyCrumble aka Rumwik!!

LlQJNvm.png

twitter
FA
tumblr
DA

HappyCrumble is an artist that loves to draw pokemon, and more specifically Drifloon. They even made a blog for him. HappyCrumble has a toony art style, with big eyes and bright colors. They seem to take most of their commissions on Twitter, and have also done one for FurryGAF's own The_Kid! They do a daily comic on their twitter in which their fursona Rumwik does any number of daily tasks, but it's always so cute. Also, potatoes.

If you have a suggestion for next months AotM, drop me a PM!

Wulfric

Good idea Chuck, that Glaceon is super adorable.

*sigh*

Did anyone read the tail thread over in OT? I read a couple responses and then noped out of there. All those negative responses are so disheartening. It reminds me that no matter how many adorable Pikachu or badass werewolves artists draw, this fandom freaks some people out. It's a shame such a talented group of people are ridiculed for the behavior of a few outliers.

For the curious: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1179710

Sorry, I just got upset and didn't want to post as a minority in that thread.

Boss Doggie

I know that place is gonna be shit so I decided to post a non-serious post there, too bad it got drowned

I try to keep in mind that a lot of people in these threads are just shitposting and moving on with their lives, not necessarily demonstrating a major personal investment or serious vendetta against the concept on display. If I were with a random non-furry GAFfer in real life and happened to see someone out and about with a tail, I imagine that I'd be able to have an intelligent conversation with that GAFfer about what they don't like about it, why it's harmless - generally something more moderate and reasoned than the reaction-gif/one-sentence status quo. It's easy to judge and pigeonhole when it's just someone depicted in an internet link or in a sweeping OP that just asks "what's the deal with X group of people?" and paints that group as abnormal from the start. I'm certainly not excusing shit posts, and I wish people would consider that their words might be discouraging others from expressing themselves, but I try to have faith that it wouldn't happen the same way in real life as it does online - and that people's actual human interests and tolerances might be a little more nuanced and accepting than the persona they present to the world in responses to garbage threads like that.

That said, no, I didn't read it because the earlier thread about the girl who thought she was a cat bugged me even more with the responses it got.

MayMay

Banned
Gaf seems particularly close minded and bad in terms of people hating on furries (compared to some other communities), but I can't blame anyone I suppose. The furry fandom is a hard thing to explain, so it just makes sense that alot of people have preconceived notions about it from stuff they've heard (or seen) online. There are alot of.. odd and cringeworthy individuals around - but that's the same in every fandom.

All of the Gaf people I play games with on a regular basis are incredibly ignorant about the whole thing, I just stopped using furry avatars on Steam etc. because every time I had one I'd immediately become the target of a ton of dumb jokes lol.

So yeah, not sure what it is with Gaffers and disliking furries.

I love HappyCrumble! Everything they draw makes me die from cuteness.

I still can't believe I snagged a commission of my character from them.

Aww, that's super cute.

Wulfric

I try to keep in mind that a lot of people in these threads are just shitposting and moving on with their lives, not necessarily demonstrating a major personal investment or serious vendetta against the concept on display. If I were with a random non-furry GAFfer in real life and happened to see someone out and about with a tail, I imagine that I'd be able to have an intelligent conversation with that GAFfer about what they don't like about it, why it's harmless - generally something more moderate and reasoned than the reaction-gif/one-sentence status quo. It's easy to judge and pigeonhole when it's just someone depicted in an internet link or in a sweeping OP.

Gaf seems particularly close minded and bad in terms of people hating on furries (compared to some other communities), but I can't blame anyone I suppose. The furry fandom is a hard thing to explain, so it just makes sense that alot of people have preconceived notions about it from stuff they've heard (or seen) online. There are alot of.. odd and cringeworthy individuals around - but that's the same in every fandom.

Hmm, I didn't think about it that way. Most of those posters have no ties to the fandom, so a joke post with little actual knowledge to draw from isn't so surprising. It doesn't excuse the hostility you see across the net, but in real life I tend to see more curiosity and confusion. Thanks for trying to post something constructive in that thread MayMay. Maybe you'll get through to someone.

I love HappyCrumble! Everything they draw makes me die from cuteness. I still can't believe I snagged a commission of my character from them.

That tail wag though. :3

Refyref

(Thanks, Red, for the heads up!)

http://nintendonews.com/news/wii-u/punky-town-planned-rhythm-game-wii-u/
oyqpvXA.jpg

More at the link including the game's origins and some gameplay details. The art is cute. :3

Well, looking around...
The artist that drew that promotional artwork has two more on their FA profile.

And looking through the developers' site, I found another artwork by a different artist:

And then I recognized one of the avatars on the about page, and lo and behold, artwork on their FA page as well.

...So I guess this can count as this week's art dump, I guess?

MayMay

Banned
puinkey drew some of the art, huh? I knew that picture looked familiar but I couldnt quite put my finger on it.. nice.

Man, the art direction is so cute. Not usually someone that port begs - but I hope the game ends up on Steam as well and not just Wii U.

Refyref

puinkey drew some of the art, huh? I knew that picture looked familiar but I couldnt quite put my finger on it.. nice.

Man, the art direction is so cute. Not usually someone that port begs - but I hope the game ends up on Steam as well and not just Wii U.

That article says they haven't finalized what systems it'll be on, so it probably will.

Top Bottom