• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G1 Climax 24 |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fale has to lose for Shibata to have any chance -

Tanahashi - 14 points (win over Nakamura)
Nakamura - 14 points
Fale - 12 points (win over Shibata)
Shibata 12 points (wins over Tana & Nak)

If Shibata beats Gallows, Fale loses to Nakamura and Tanahashi loses to Davey Boy, then Shibata will be runner up of Block A on a tie-break with Tanahashi.

I had initially picked Nakamura vs Okada as the final with Styles vs Shibata as the runner-up match, but now I'm thinking it's more likely to be Tanahashi vs Okada with Nakamura vs Styles as the runner-up match.

XenoRaven

I haven't been able to watch this year but I'm glad Suzuki is finally ahead of Tenzan.

That Styles vs Suzuki match was incredible.

jred2k

It's pretty awesome that we only have one more show before the final and there is still several different outcomes that seem possible. I can't wait to see the Seibu Dome.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Fale has to lose for Shibata to have any chance -

Tanahashi - 14 points (win over Nakamura)
Nakamura - 14 points
Fale - 12 points (win over Shibata)
Shibata 12 points (wins over Tana & Nak)

If Shibata beats Gallows, Fale loses to Nakamura and Tanahashi loses to Davey Boy, then Shibata will be runner up of Block A on a tie-break with Tanahashi.

I had initially picked Nakamura vs Okada as the final with Styles vs Shibata as the runner-up match, but now I'm thinking it's more likely to be Tanahashi vs Okada with Nakamura vs Styles as the runner-up match.

why is Fale so high? hes terrible :/

He's a big guy who graduated from the New Japan dojo, rather than coming from an ex-WWE or indie wrestling background - they tend to put more stock in the wrestlers who have gone through their dojo process, plus, they haven't had a 'monster' sized wrestler on the scale of Fale since Tensai was in New Japan. Also, Fale's the current Intercontinental Champion, so he was always going to be booked strongly in the tournament - unfortunately, 9 singles matches in a row does little to protect him.

Also, guys in line for an IC title shot after the tournament; Gallows, Shelton & Kojima (plus, Nakamura if he defeats Fale tomorrow). I'm guessing Fale drops the title fairly soon - would be cool to see Kojima with a small run, but I can see them rewarding Shelton with the title.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Day 7 time guys, hopefully it lives up to the hype :p

expect many edits throughout the night lol

Shenton vs Kojima is cut short on bonskit's playlist which is a shame, last few minutes were actually quite good

Lance Archer vs Toru Yano was...what it was I guess. Blackout on Taru was actually impressive

Not sure if its because of the smaller venue, but people are much louder on day 7

somedevil

Rhaknar

Doesn't help the fact he is not that great. Also, Shibata is getting shafted again for not getting the chance to be one of the four.

John Pollock had Tom Lawlor on and he is no fan of Fale and doesn't like Shibata because he doesn't hold back during his matches.

http://fightnetwork.com/news/49493:law-g-1-climax-day-10-feat.-filthy-tom-lawlor/

but...but thats why I love him :(

Karl Anderson vs Yujiro Takahashi was ok, cool little match, mostly for the bullet club vs bullet club angle. Cant wait for Karl vs AJ Styles, that should be fun

edit: cant hate on Gallows vs Davey Boy, it was a good "2 big guys beating each other" match

also, Goto's theme is godlike. This day 7 looks like its running in a highschool gym o_O the venue is so small

edit: Goto vs Tenzan was awesome, and the crowd was ridiculously into Tenzan. Probably the best Tenzan match so far, but damn, for someone that recently was fighting Okada for the title, Goto sure jobs alot o_O

Ba Luck Fale vs Honma was shockingly good, 90% because of Honma of course. Dude is so good, why is he such a jobber again? :/ Also Bad Luck almost dropped Honma on his head with the powerbomb o_O

edit: THIS NAITO VS MAKABE MATCH YOU GUYS. Crowd was NOT giving 2 fucks about Naito's babyface antics at all, and the comentators were going fucking bananas for Makabe lol. Naito took some sick lariats, and shockingly a Makabe match that doesnt revolve around his injured jaw was much better (I know the injury was legit at some point but they milked it too much, it was getting old). MOTN so far easily

edit: HOLY SHIT AJ VS SUZUKI WAS AMAZING, fuck this day 7 hnnnnnnnnggg

Shibata vs Nagata next... please dont kill him Shibata, hes 150 years old :(

Good lord that match was so fucking stiff, stop beating each other up you crazy people! Another amazing match, easily my favorite Nagata match so far.

Rhaknar

OH MY GOD AT THAT NAKAMURA VS ISHII MATCH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

MAtch of G1 so far by far, that was RIDICULOUS. Ishii is the motherucking MVP of this whole thing, the dude is amazing. Those lariats, those knees, the last knee looked amazing, JESUS CHRIST. Awesome show of respect at the end too, I bet they also know that match was fucking amazing lol

ITs shit like this why I love wrestling

Day 7 was amazing, easily up there with days 1 and 4, if not better so goooooood!

edit: shit double post im sorry...fuck im not even sorry that was so hype!!!

Showaddy

Doesn't help the fact he is not that great. Also, Shibata is getting shafted again for not getting the chance to be one of the four.

John Pollock had Tom Lawlor on and he is no fan of Fale and doesn't like Shibata because he doesn't hold back during his matches.

http://fightnetwork.com/news/49493:law-g-1-climax-day-10-feat.-filthy-tom-lawlor/

Yeah Fale's not great but he's still the Intercontinental Champ and decent monster heel so to book him to lose regularly would just be stupid.

Shibata being ridiculously stiff is why the fans love him though. He's toned it down this G1 but there's still plenty of fans who loved the fact he straight up murdered people, it's not like some of these guy in NJ don't give it to him back either.

Rhaknar

Yeah Fale's not great but he's still the Intercontinental Champ and decent monster heel so to book him to lose regularly would just be stupid.

Shibata being ridiculously stiff is why the fans love him though. He's toned it down this G1 but there's still plenty of fans who loved the fact he straight up murdered people, it's not like some of these guy in NJ don't give it to him back either.

wait hes toned it DOWN for G1...lolwhut? o_O what does he usually do then, knock people out?

It wasn't so much that he was hitting any harder last year, just that he was doing it all the freaking time. Also, he's cut down the amount of 'fighting spirit' spots he does this year, which is welcome.

I actually think Ishii's been working more stiff than Shibata this tournament, that fuckin' headbutt is disgusting. Shibata's been a lot smarter with his ring work this time around, he isn't going quite so all out, so when he does turn on the savagery it means that much more because the whole match hasn't just been him kicking the shit out of people.

This day 7 looks like its running in a highschool gym o_O the venue is so small

Yeah, Korakuen Hall only seats about 2,200, but it's always one of the liveliest venues being in the heart of Tokyo.

Probably the best Tenzan match so far, but damn, for someone that recently was fighting Okada for the title, Goto sure jobs alot o_O

Goto is officially a choke artist at this point - he won the very first G1 he was entered in, back in 2008, but couldn't capitalise on it and his since failed in IWGP title matches 7 times.

THIS NAITO VS MAKABE MATCH YOU GUYS. Crowd was NOT giving 2 fucks about Naito's babyface antics at all, and the comentators were going fucking bananas for Makabe lol.

The Korakuen crowd are a pretty good representation of the hardcore fanbase - they dislike Naito because his babyface push at last year's G1 was coming too soon off the back of a major knee injury and he didn't really perform well until the last few days of the tournament. Plus, I think the way they've gone about pushing him as a babyface reminds them of Tanahashi - you wouldn't think it seeing how over he is now, but there was a time when the fanbase was flat-out rejecting Tanahashi's push like some of them are with Naito's.

Rhaknar

The Korakuen crowd are a pretty good representation of the hardcore fanbase - they dislike Naito because his babyface push at last year's G1 was coming too soon off the back of a major knee injury and he didn't really perform well until the last few days of the tournament. Plus, I think the way they've gone about pushing him as a babyface reminds them of Tanahashi - you wouldn't think it seeing how over he is now, but there was a time when the fanbase was flat-out rejecting Tanahashi's push like some of them are with Naito's.

so theres smark crowds in japan aswell then? :p

is there a place where I can see all the stables in NJPW? it seems like everyone is in a stable, I didnt understand why davey boy smith was running in during the suzuki vs AJ but I guess he is also in Suzuki Gun (is that what its called?), and someone said Nakamura is in a stable with Ishii aswell?

also would like to know how many titles there are and who holds them (besides AJ I know that)

so theres smark crowds in japan aswell then? :p

is there a place where I can see all the stables in NJPW? it seems like everyone is in a stable, I didnt understand why davey boy smith was running in during the suzuki vs AJ but I guess he is also in Suzuki Gun (is that what its called?), and someone said Nakamura is in a stable with Ishii aswell?

also would like to know how many titles there are and who holds them (besides AJ I know that)

Here is a beginner's guide to NJPW:
http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2014/04/10/a-beginners-guide-to-new-japan-pro-wrestling/
Champions are a little outdated, the current ones:
IWGP Champ: AJ
IC champ: Fale
Tag Champs: Karl Anderson and Doc Galllows
Junior Heavyweight: KUSHIDA
Junior Heavyweight Tag: TIME SPLITTERS
NEVER Openweight: Yujiro
Kojima and Tenzan are the NWA tag champs

jred2k

The Junior Heavyweight Tag champs are actually Time Splitters now. I think they won them off the Young Bucks at Kizuna Road.

Rhaknar

Here is a beginner's guide to NJPW:
http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2014/04/10/a-beginners-guide-to-new-japan-pro-wrestling/
Champions are a little outdated, the current ones:
IWGP Champ: AJ
IC champ: Fale
Tag Champs: Karl Anderson and Doc Galllows
Junior Heavyweight: KUSHIDA
Junior Heavyweight Tag: TIME SPLITTERS
NEVER Openweight: Yujiro
Kojima and Tenzan are the NWA tag champs

thanks a lot, that was helpful. at the same times its just bumming me out because I wont be able to watch this regulary hmm.

also going to listen to this pocast on the website about the first 4 nights of G1, should help pass the time at work :)

edit: these dudes on the podcast hate Fale lol

Rhaknar

Nakamura vs Okada and Shibata vs AJ would be amazing (I dont even care Okada is obviously winning, gotta have that big rematch with AJ, I understand that).

its not going to happen is it :(

I mean Tanahashi vs AJ should be great, but man :(

unless they do Fale vs AJ lol... good lord o_O

edit: I forgot to say back when I watched day 6, but one of my favorite moments of the tournament so far, and I saw that with no irony at all, was when Okada was doing the rainmaker pose, and Toru Yano does his /shrug pose in response, it just fucking cracked me up, it was so good. Does anyone have a gif of that (or can make one)?

edit: isnt day 10 in 1 hour? no hype for it?

15 minutes until Day 11!!!

NJPW, "G1 CLIMAX - DAY 11", 2014/08/08
Yokohama Bunka Gymnasium

01. G1 Climax - Block B: Toru Yano vs Yujiro Takahashi
02. G1 Climax - Block B: Hirooki Goto vs Lance Archer
03. G1 Climax - Block B: Tetsuya Naito vs Karl Anderson
04. G1 Climax - Block B: Kazuchika Okada vs Minoru Suzuki
05. G1 Climax - Block B: Togi Makabe vs AJ Styles
06. G1 Climax - Block A: Tomoaki Honma vs Shelton Benjamin
07. G1 Climax - Block A: Yuji Nagata vs Tomohiro Ishii
08. G1 Climax - Block A: Katsuyori Shibata vs Doc Gallows
09. G1 Climax - Block A: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Bad Luck Fale
10. G1 Climax - Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Davey Boy Smith Jr.

Let's go HONMA!!! Today's the day, friends. I can feel it. Honma gets his win.

Rhaknar

pls give me shibata vs styles and nakamura vs okada :(

ghostmind

Honmamania will be running wild when he beats Benjamin tonight!

EDIT: and we are live!

EDIT2: Jado is wearing a MOMOCLO-chan shirt...

The card's been switched around a bit, Honma in the opener, Okada vs Suzuki as the main event!

1. Honma vs Shelton
2. Yano vs Yujiro
3. Goto vs Archer
4. Naito vs Anderson
5. Nagata vs Ishii
6. Shibata vs Gallows
7. Nakamura vs Fale
8. Makabe vs Styles
9. Tanahashi vs Nakamura
10. Okada vs Suzuki

Rhaknar

The card's been switched around a bit, Honma in the opener, Okada vs Suzuki as the main event!

1. Honma vs Shelton
2. Yano vs Yujiro
3. Goto vs Archer
4. Naito vs Anderson
5. Nagata vs Ishii
6. Shibata vs Gallows
7. Nakamura vs Fale
8. Makabe vs Styles
9. Tanahashi vs Nakamura
10. Okada vs Suzuki

get people hyped from the start with that first honma win?

ghostmind

Honma has gone WAY up in my rankings, and I'll be watching for him going forward.

Hope he gets that mvp bonus at least - he has worked his ass off and has been a crowd favorite everywhere they went.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the MVP bonus - also, I'm hoping he gets put in a random tag match against Yujiro at the finals. If he gets a pin over Yujiro, that'll set up a NEVER title shot.

ghostmind

That (finish) was awesome!!

What a great match - Anderson kept up with Naito's pace and got in some great counters.

The crowd wasn't sure who they should cheer for. Not a lot of love for Naito in Yokohama.

One of my favorite Naito matches of the tournament for sure. Up there for Anderson as well.

Yeah, that was a lot of fun, really looking forward to this next match though!

Also, I'm doing real bad in the pick'ems today - I was 3rd overall, but now I've only got 1/4 right on today's show :/

Fuck, that match was BRUTAL. I winced in sympathy every time Nagata kicked at Ishii's fucked up shoulder and those headbutts later on, jeeeeeeeezus.

It was wrestled at a faster pace, Shibata kinda took control in their match, whereas Nagata vs Ishii was very back and forth. Loved, loved that Sliding D counter into the armbar. So awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom