• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Forza 3 racing and time attack league

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I have been playing around with the idea of getting some gaffers together for an online racing league for a while. I have come up with the league set up and some preliminary rules, which, like everything else, are open for discussion.

WHAT I WANT FROM YOU:

1. Post if you would like to participate so that we can have some idea of how many to expect and plan for.

2. Feedback on proposed rules

Race League:
Each week we will meet for one race (or more for qualifying if turnout is large enough) at a predetermined time, on a predetermined course, with a predetermined car, for a predetermined number of laps. Points will be awarded at the end of each race and will be cumulative for the season.

Time Attack League:
In addition to the race league, you may participate in a time attack challenge as well. Tracks, cars, and schedule will follow the race league with final submissions due at the start time for the week’s official race. Points will be awarded in the same fashion as the race league (with places greater then 8th being awarded 0 pts.) and will also be cumulative for the season.

Rules:
1. - Each week will have a predetermined stock car that everyone has to use for the race.
.....1.a. No modifications, other then purely visual (vinyls, designs), will be allowed.
.....1.b. Stock cars can be driven with any assist on that the user wants to use in .....his/her race and can be driven from any view angle in race.

2. – Race League racers should, whenever possible, race “clean”.
.....2.a. Car position relative to others on the track is not always clear. Mid-race .....discussion over xbox live should be used primarily to communicate position and .....passing intents by drivers to avoid collisions.
.....2.b. Attempts at passing should only be made when it is safe to do so.
.....2.c. If being passed, make attempts to avoid collisions whenever possible.
.....2.d. Careless passing that results in significant collisions will be identified post race .....with either time penalties incurred for the offending driver, or with that driver being .....disqualified for that event. Penalty specifics are open for discussion, and .....cases will be looked at via replay on a case by case basis by volunteer bystanders.
.....2.e. Non-significant collisions, or trading paint, is frowned upon, but usually will not .....result in specific penalties.
.....2.f. All drivers should drive cautiously and thoughtfully to avoid collisions. If minor .....collisions occur and it leads to a change in driver position, attempts may be made .....by the offender to allow the passed car back into its pre-collision position.
.....2.g. All racers should save a replay after each race in case review of infractions is .....necessary.
.....2.h. Cars should make all attempts to stay on the track at all time. "Shortcuts" are .....frowned upon and may result in time penalties or race disqualifications.

3. - Points will be distributed for the following paces for both time attack and race league standings. If qualifying races are established for the race league, only those participants in the race finals will earn points. Time attack finishes in 9th or higher positions will receive 0 pts.
.....1st – 10pts.
.....2nd – 8pts.
.....3rd – 6pts.
.....4th – 5pts.
.....5th – 4pts.
.....6th – 3pts.
.....7th – 2pts.
.....8th – 1pt.

4 – Lap times for the Time Attack league must be clean laps and obtained only during the time period we are racing that specific tracks.
.....4.a. "Clean" laps defined by forza 3. No "!" times will be accepted.

5 - Is there anything I missed?

Entrants:
gamertag (gaf name)

LoopOfHenle (op_ivy)
Gowans007 (Gowans007)
DarkJaye (DarkJC)
DriverZiploc (ziploc)
Hyoushi (Hyoushi)
massproduction (Pepto)
zorbs (zorbsie)
Yoritomo79 (Yoritomo)
oODHOo (CaramaC)
Ayo Jube (Jube3)
Sp4ceman Sp1ff (Spaceman Spiff)
p3tran (p3tran)
Mc Kane (G Rom)
Chris Kenobi UK (Chriswok)
Russtic (Gek54)
rastex (Omar Ismail)
Banana Barons (gragy10)
Rjcc (rjcc)
Senger (Senger)
SoundScream13 (soundscream)
FCryosuke3S (soujiro_seta)
RJ81 (RSTEIN)
Dieselrainbow (DieselRainbow)
hakeem34 (aberckmans)

Race and Time Attack Schedule:
Racers will meet at 5 pm GMT with the race starting no later then 5:15pm GMT (http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/gmt-converter.htm) on Sundays. Time attack times will also be due at the same time.

3/14 - Rally di Positano (Full, Reverse) - B - Leon Supercup - 3 laps
3/21 - Mugello (Full) - R3 - Ferrari FXX - 8 laps
3/28 - Silverstone (Grand Prix) - R1 - #8 Audi Sport Team Joest Audi R10 TDI - 10 laps
4/4 - Maple Valley (Full) - C - Ford Focus RS - 8 laps
4/11 - Nurburgring Nordschliefe (Full) - R2 - #007 Aston Martin Racing DBR9 - 2 laps
4/18 - Suzuka (Full) - R3 - BMW M3 Rahal Letterman - 8 laps
4/25 - Road Atlanta (Full) - S - Nissan GT-R SpecV - 10 laps
5/2 - Camino Viejo Extreme (Reverse) - A - TVR Sagaris - 5 laps
5/9 - Nurburgring GP (Full) - A - Ferrari F40 - 7 laps
5/16 - Tsukuba (Full) - D - Mini John Cooper Works - 13 laps

PRIZES!
- Jube3 will donate 4,000,000 cr!
- anyone willing to make special trophy cars for each stage's winners or for the final winners?

Race Standings

1st - massproduction (Pepto) - 24
2nd - Banana Barons (gragy10) - 22
3rd - LoopOfHenle (op_ivy) - 14
4th - rastex (Omar Ismail) - 13
5th - Hyoushi (Hyoushi) - 10
6th - zorbs (zorbsie) - 6
7th - RJ81 (RSTEIN) - 5
8th - p3tRan (p3tRan) - 4

Time Attack Standings

1st - Senger (Senger) - 30
2nd - oODHOo (CaramaC) - 26
3rd - Hyoushi - 22
4th - soujiro_seta - 18
5th - LoopOfHenle (op_ivy) - 16
6th - massproduction (Pepto) - 14
7th - gragy10 - 7
8th - DarkJaye (DarkJC) - 5
9th - G Rom - 4
10th - rastex (Omar Ismail) - 4
11th - SoundScream13 (soundscream) - 2
12th - DieselRainbow - 1

DarkJC

Count me in, GT: DarkJaye

Like Gowans I'm going to have to think about my top 10s, but I have a question regarding them. What is the stance on DLC cars and tracks? The Nurb GT track would certainly be in my top 10, but will everyone be able to race on it if it makes it to the final lineup?

Perhaps it would be good for those interested to list any DLC they own (or don't own if that's easier?).

For the record, I own all the DLC released so far.

op_ivy

DarkJC said:
Count me in, GT: DarkJaye

Like Gowans I'm going to have to think about my top 10s, but I have a question regarding them. What is the stance on DLC cars and tracks? The Nurb GT track would certainly be in my top 10, but will everyone be able to race on it if it makes it to the final lineup?

Perhaps it would be good for those interested to list any DLC they own (or don't own if that's easier?).

For the record, I own all the DLC released so far.

good point. for the record, i am fine with people voting for dlc content and we will just assume everyone has it.

if a car is in that is dlc, we could come to a consensus on an equivalent performing car from the disc as a replacement (erring on the side of slightly slower if need be to make sure it is fair).

if a top 10 track is dlc (i HOPE it is :D), then those without it will be SOL for that event. (sorry!)

Yoritomo

I'd love to participate in the time trial at the least and organized events themselves if time permits.

GT: Yoritomo79

zorbsie

I'm down with time trails league, and some of the organized events.
I'm on after 10 EST every night.
GT: zorbs

op_ivy

great, also, please post your top ten's and any thoughts on my proposed rules!

Pepto

Banned
About the time attack format. Speaking from my experiences with our earlier leagues on a different board.

A clean lap is a must. There's just no other way of doing things if you don't want to be rewinding every corner in search of a perfect lap.

The requirement of a clean lap makes the longer tracks like Fujimi Kaido a bit of a pain. I personally also dislike the really short tracks because you have to get all the corners just right and there's almost no room for mistakes.

op_ivy

Pepto said:
About the time attack format. Speaking from my experiences with our earlier leagues on a different board.

A clean lap is a must. There's just no other way of doing things if you don't want to be rewinding every corner in search of a perfect lap.

The requirement of a clean lap makes the longer tracks like Fujimi Kaido a bit of a pain. I personally also dislike the really short tracks because you have to get all the corners just right and there's almost no room for mistakes.

absolutely agreed and something i overlooked. i'll add that to the rules. also added a bit about shortcuts.

I too am game for time attack competitions.

GT: Sp4ceman Sp1ff

Top 10 Tracks:

Suzuka
Nurburgring GP
Nordschliefe
Le Mans (w/ chicanes)
Laguna Seca
Road Atlanta
Camino Viejo (standard or extreme)
Catalunya GP
Maple Valley
Silverstone (GP or International)

op_ivy

cool, added.

i'm not planning on distinguishing between race and time attack leagues for participants, so that people can feel free to do both as they please.

to spark some talks about 10 tracks to use, here is my list (in no special order);

Montserrat extreme
positano (full)
kaido (full)
nurb gt
nurb (full)
road atlanta (full)
road america
suzuka (full)
leguna seca
mugello (full)

Personally, I think the longer road courses (Positano, Kaido) might be a bit too tedious for repeated lapping. Nordschliefe is fine since that's pretty much what it's meant for.

op_ivy, it just so happens that there's 10 car classes; do you just want our favorite from each, or are we going to be focusing on C-class and up or something?

op_ivy

Ziploc said:
Positano is so much more fun in revers.

Just sayin.

ok, so post your list! (i'd be fine with reverse)

Spaceman Spiff said:
Personally, I think the longer road courses (Positano, Kaido) might be a bit too tedious for repeated lapping. Nordschliefe is fine since that's pretty much what it's meant for.

op_ivy, it just so happens that there's 10 car classes; do you just want our favorite from each, or are we going to be focusing on C-class and up or something?

i'm fine with longer races myself. i'm thinking each race should be 10-15 min, which would be 2-3 laps for the bigger courses. my list is almost all big courses, but we'll pick the top 10 requested tracks to do, so hopefully there will be plenty of variety.

as far as cars go, maybe we should hold a discussion on what class(es) of cars we want to race in before identifying the actual vehicles.

i'm all for C and up personally.

Ziploc

Neo Member
I would prefer all classes get a shot. F-X

Custom rules are really awesome though. Like Vintage racing (pre 1975), HP limits, weight minimums excetera.

Tracks:
Tsukuba
Nordeshleife
Positano
Kaido
Mugello
Maple Valley
Sunset
Iberion
Camino Veijo Extreme
Silverstone

caramac

Personal favoured tracks are....

Maple Valley Full/Short
Suzuka East
Tsukuba Full
Sunset Full
Silverstone GP
Positano
Iberian Full
Camino Viejo Full
Amalfi
Catalunya GP

...might be a fun idea to throw an oval in there somewhere, maybe Motegi Speedway, they always provide close racing/lap times imo

Favourite car classes are D,C,B

..but whatever, l'll just go with the flow.

op_ivy

added. thanks for the input.

it seems most people are content with whatever, so unless someone has issue with it, i'm going to close the voting after today so we can actually start this mutha

G Rom

I would be totally in for time attack. :D
Racing would be cool but much more difficult to plan with the different time zones involved but if I can get in, I will.

Gamertag : Mc Kane
Timezone : CET (GMT +1)
Time for races : either in the afternoon (1 pm GMT to 5 pm GMT) or late in the evening (after 10 pm GMT)
Class : Everything with the right tracks (5 laps of the Nordschleif in fast cars is good but not so much in F Class IMO...)

Top 10 stock cars (tough one) :
- Mercedes-Benz C Class DTM (we could do a DTM style race (A4 Vs C Class) with liveries from the storefront !:D ) - R2 Class
- Nissan GT-R Spec-V - S Class
- Ferrari FXX (we could recreate a race of the real championship at Mugello) - R3 Class
- BMW M3 Rahal Letterman - R3 Class
- One of the NASCAR car to please the American (just kidding, an Oval race would be a nice change of style) - R3 Class
- Mini John Cooper Works - D Class
- Porsche 911 Turbo 3.3 - C Class
- Ford Focus RS - C Class
- Range Rover :)lol ) - E Class
- Dodge Daytona - D Class

Top 10 tracks :
- Suzuka Full Circuit
- Mugello Full Circuit
- Road Atlanta Full Circuit
- La Sarthe without chicane
- Sunset Speedway (for a NASCAR race, not for time trial)
- Camino Viejo Short track (for small cars)
- Ladera Test Track (don't remember which ribbon it is, the one with the elevation changes)
- Nürburgring Norschleif
- Tsukuba Full Circuit
- Benchmark Ring Layout A

op_ivy

p3tran said:
guys we all have the nur F1 dlc track?

thats the assumption. if thats a top 10 track, we will race it. if people dont have it, they'll have to sit that round out.

op_ivy

ok, schedule, tracks, laps, and cars posted.

first up, Rally di Positano R - Leon Supercup (unmodified!)

4411519348_20f1529e4c.jpg

you can post times for time attack, or hold off until they are due (5 pm GMT sundays). new times posted this week only.

racers should plan to meet promptly at 5pm GMT Sunday March 14. Race will start no later then 5:15 pm GMT.

use http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/gmt-converter.htm to convert your time to GMT.

op_ivy

apologies if your specific car/track/time request wasnt met, i did the best i could with the feedback i received.

U.S. folk, I hope 9am (PST) isnt too early, but if it is, set an alarm! I wanted as many people to be able to participate as possible and this should allow our neighbors across the pond the opportunity to race as well.

G Rom

Great selection ! With five of my cars and five of my tracks ending in the final selection, I won't complain !:lol

op_ivy

G Rom said:
Great selection ! With five of my cars and five of my tracks ending in the final selection, I won't complain !:lol

yeah, i just picked the top 10 tracks from the few that voted and picked some of your cars and some i wanted for the rest :lol

caramac

...so ivy for the time attack we just post our times on here right?, clean laps as stated in the rules of course, any more info needed?

op_ivy

CaramaC said:
...so ivy for the time attack we just post our times on here right?, clean laps as stated in the rules of course, any more info needed?

yeah. i dont anticipate issues with honesty, but we could always have people take a screen shot if necessary. I havent done much TA on my own, so i'd imagine every course we do will set a lap record for me on the leaderboards for each race, so we could likely see someones time there as well.

just make sure there is no modification of the stock vehicle.

Wouldn't our times appear on the leaderboards if we added each other as friends? Can't remember if you can sort to see friend's score or not.

caramac

Chriswok said:
Wouldn't our times appear on the leaderboards if we added each other as friends? Can't remember if you can sort to see friend's score or not.

Yeah you can filter to see only your friends times, but its only the fastest time within that class, not for each car within a particular class (that would be cool and awesome)

i.e my best clean lap on Positano R is 6:20.*** in a Subaru WRX 04 (500pi) and l aint gonna beat that in the Seat (471).........so that time will never show.

op_ivy

6:25:552 and its giving me the dirty lap indicator and i cant figure out why :(

EDIT: the replay looks clean and the indicator never comes up in race, and iirc it didnt while i was racing either (unless it was towards the very end and i never noticed it). DAMN YOU FORZA.

its on my storefront if anyone wants to check it out and help me identify the cause (and no, its not the start!)

caramac

Money on its here where you're picking up the dirty lap

5z6gw.jpg

As you go over the top and try to take it as striaght as you can, if you end up lets say here or somewhere similar. *Edit just ran it again and as you go over the brow and your car leaves the floor there's like a small triangle of darker cobblestones on the right just before the pic below, l think its there you pick up the !....difficult to avoid when you are trying to keep your speed up.

24qs6c9.jpg

lt happened to me last night.

This track is a sob to get a clean fast lap, l just ran a 6:25.022 but was dirty from the previous lap :(

op_ivy

CaramaC said:
Money on its here where you're picking up the dirty lap

As you go over the top and try to take it as striaght as you can, if you end up lets say here or somewhere similar. *Edit just ran it again and as you go over the brow and your car leaves the floor there's like a small triangle of darker cobblestones on the right just before the pic below, l think its there you pick up the !....difficult to avoid when you are trying to keep your speed up.

lt happened to me last night.

This track is a sob to get a clean fast lap, l just ran a 6:25.022 but was dirty from the previous lap :(

you know, i had a feeling it was there... maybe its because if you stick to the inside like you are in the pic, the car is completely outside the white track line?

i have a clean 6:25:100 now, with some room for improvement on the tight hairpin section 2/3s through

caramac

op_ivy said:
you know, i had a feeling it was there... maybe its because if you stick to the inside like you are in the pic, the car is completely outside the white track line?

i have a clean 6:25:100 now, with some room for improvement on the tight hairpin section 2/3s through

Yeah maybe you should ignore where the car is in that pic, l had just gone by that part of the track so rather than do another full lap l turned around and parked up there to take a few pics :D

but yeah its sure in that area somewhere.

op_ivy

Ziploc said:
Wow. Crap noon EST which is 5PM GMT I can't do. Bummer!

for sure. it will be interesting to see the turn out :lol

post times for the TA

Top Bottom