• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread - 3 POINT SYSTEM, rules updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Mirror's Edge (PC)- 3
-Did not know the PC counted as 2009 ^_^
Raiden Fighter Aces(360)-2
Uncharted 2(PS3)- 1
Red Faction III(360)-1
Trials HD(XBLA)-1
Mushihimesama-Futari(360)-1
Torchlight(PC)-1

With this system, Pixel Junk Shooter(Blame steam sales) got cut, while Uncharted got one less point than I intended to give it.

GhaleonQ

stupei said:
Actually when I get a new system one thing I eventually like to do is look at some of the smaller or platform specific categories for previous years. Most of those games are now available at bargain prices, and also aren't really being talked about on GAF anymore so they may be less known for new owners. The old lists are a good place to look for ideas if you want to find something for your new system outside whatever month old game is GAF's current GOTF.

If we're excluding foreign-language stuff, I'm fairly certain that most people just scroll to the 65% mark on Gamerankings or Metacritic with Wikipedia and Youtube at hand. Feel free to correct me, anyone else.

Manus

Assassin's Creed II - 3
Street Fighter IV - 2
Plants vs Zombies - 2
Modern Warfare 2 - 1
Uncharted 2 - 1
Batman Arkham Asylum - 1

Vlodril

Uncharted 2 : 3 points.

Infamous : 2 Points

Demon Souls: 2 Points.

Batman AA : 2 points

Killzone : 1 point.

Uncharted 2 - 3 points

Borderlands - 2 points
Left 4 Dead 2 - 2 points

The Beatles Rock band - 1 point
GTA: Chinatown Wars - 1 point
Flower - 1 point

nib95

Banned
Uncharted 2 - Among Thieves: 3

Killzone 2: 2

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2: 1
Batman Arkham Asylum: 1
InFamous: 1
Resident Evil 5: 1
Forza 3: 1

Dragon Age : Origins - 3
AI War : Fleet Command - 2
Risen - 2
Europa Universalis 3: Heir to the Throne - 1
Torchlight - 1
Anno 1404 - 1

Dipper145

Dragon Age: Origins - 3
Halo 3: ODST - 2
Borderlands - 2
Torchlight - 1
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - 1
Red Faction: Guerilla - 1

careful

Didn't play a bunch of the other '09 contenders, but of the ones I played:

3 points:
Modern Warfare 2 - MP not as balanced as COD4, but still consuming my free time

2 points:
Killzone 2 - Had great fun (and frustrations) in the objective-based team-oriented MP
Uncharted 2 - Fantastic polish & execution

1 point:
Beatles Rock Band - Should've been able to import into RB2, but I'll take what I can get
NHL 10 - Best hockey game I played in a while, local multi is a blast
Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War II - Really enjoyed the simplified RTS gameplay and RPG elements thrown into the campaign

-----------

0 point, but honorable mention:
Defense Grid: The Awakening (late '08 game played in 09) - Best tower defense game I've played
Flower - Original and refreshing
Shatter - Decent gameplay, but amazing soundtrack really make it standout
Torchlight - From everything I hear about this game, it would've made my list no doubt had I played it. :p

Most disappointing game that should've made the list:
Fat Princess - One of my most anticipated games of '09, but never really did it for me once I played it

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Street Fighter IV - 3
Arkham Asylum - 2
Bit.Trip BEAT - 2
Rhythm Heaven - 1
Dawn of War II - 1

alright, done

and some of my favorite games that i played this year were from before 2009

whoops tales of vesperia was not in 2009 :\

ZAnimus

Assassin's Creed 2 - 3
Batman: Arkham Asylym - 2
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 2
Dragon Age: Origins - 2
Shadow Complex - 1

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 3 points
Mario & Luigi 3 - 2 points
Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 2 points

New Super Mario Bros. absolutely suprised me with an awesome level design and impressed with the usual perfect gameplay of 2D Mario. It's great playing this game alone and still is my GotY this way, but multiplayer was a real blast and can b enjoyed with all kind of gamers. Fantastic game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonQ said:
If we're excluding foreign-language stuff, I'm fairly certain that most people just scroll to the 65% mark on Gamerankings or Metacritic with Wikipedia and Youtube at hand. Feel free to correct me, anyone else.
It's worth noting that I also used to like finding certain top ten lists from posters who's opinions I usually respect and checking out their top ten list individually. It was a cool way of discovering new things that I might have missed at the end of the year.

Now those people's lists consist of a mix Uncharted 2, Batman, Modern Warfare, Dragon Age or something along those lines.

It's just less interesting.

Sorry for the repeated bitching. I just wanted to throw that point out there.

Taurus

Batman: AA - 3
New Super Mario Bros Wii - 2
Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 2
Battlefield 1943 - 1
Dragon Age: Origins - 1

I've counted votes through Post #200.

Without giving too much away, some interesting little tidbits through Post #200:

- 137 different titles have been nominated
- The game in 4th place shows up in fewer lists than the 5th, 6th, and 7th place titles, but when it is included in a person's list it averages a higher point value.
- The game in 6th place has 0 first place votes.

polg

Any chances of somebody creating a -normal- voting thread? I agree with the points that people against the new system made.

And specially this
Rez said:
It's worth noting that I also used to like finding certain top ten lists from posters who's opinions I usually respect and checking out their top ten list individually. It was a cool way of discovering new things that I might have missed at the end of the year.

Now those people's lists consist of a mix Uncharted 2, Batman, Modern Warfare, Dragon Age or something along those lines.

cory

Banned
Dragon Age: Origins - 2
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 2
Street Fighter IV - 1
Killzone 2 - 1
Plants Vs Zombies - 1
Zeno Clash - 1
Torchlight - 1
WipEout HD Fury - 1

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Uncharted 2 - 3 (SP+MP: best action game I have ever played)
PES Wii - 2 (best soccer game I have played in 20 years)
NSMB - 2 (haven't gone very far in solo because of the 2 games above but each time I'm with a friend we play this game)
Gran Slam Tennis - 1 (was flawed but still awesome)
Wii Sports Resort - 1 (not deep enough but gave me a glimpse of what is to come in motion gaming, and wow)
Let's Tap - 1 (marathon: most laughs I've had in a local multiplayer game, ever :)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I'd just like to say that I'm appreciative of the time and effort timetokill is putting into this, even if I disagree with the system and don't plan to vote :)

Shads

Uncharted 2 - 2 points
Assassin's Creed 2 - 2 points
Modern Warfare 2 - 2 points
Batman Arkham Asylum - 2 points
Resident Evil 5 - 1 point
Shadow Complex - 1 point

squicken

timetokill said:
I've counted votes through Post #200.

Without giving too much away, some interesting little tidbits through Post #200:

- 137 different titles have been nominated
- The game in 4th place shows up in fewer lists than the 5th, 6th, and 7th place titles, but when it is included in a person's list it averages a higher point value.
- The game in 6th place has 0 first place votes.

Don't mind the haters. They had their chance to volunteer to do this thread, and use whatever system they wanted. They chose whining and you chose action. Thanks for doing this.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
squicken said:
Don't mind the haters. They had their chance to volunteer to do this thread, and use whatever system they wanted. They chose whining and you chose action. Thanks for doing this.
well, fwiw, that's not entirely true.

wotter

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 3
Infamous - 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 1
Killzone 2 - 1
Battlefield 1943 - 1

Still have to play DragonAge, ACII and Flower...

GhaleonQ

Rez said:

Sorry for the repeated bitching. I just wanted to throw that point out there.

Hm, that's a good point, too. I recant. Doing a personal list at the end could let people feed both impulses, even if it doesn't "matter." That's why I did it, anyway. I suppose it's too late, now.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
GhaleonQ said:
Hm, that's a good point, too. I recant. Doing a personal list at the end could let people feed both impulses, even if it doesn't "matter." That's why I did it, anyway. I suppose it's too late, now.
We could make a separate "Post your Top 10 2009 games" thread that has nothing to do with the gaf awards and does not get tabulated. That way both desires could be fulfilled (partly) while leaving this gaf voting thread in peace.

If that does happen though I'd like to request that timetokill make the thread so that we can avoid any kind of stupid thread vs thread turmoil (mod or similar user could work too I guess).

Assassin's Creed II - 3
Dragon Age - 2
Batman Arkham Asylum - 2
Modern Warfare 2 - 1
Halo 3: ODST - 1
Need for Speed: Shift - 1

MakMan

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 3

Batman Arkham Asylum - 2

Killzone 2 - 1
Forza Motorsport 3 - 1
New Super Mario Bros Wii - 1