• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread - 3 POINT SYSTEM, rules updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

From Europe...

Uncharted 2 - 2
Assassin's Creed 2 - 2
Demon's Souls - 1
Dragon Age: Origins - 1
Batman AA - 1
God of War Collection - 1
inFAMOUS - 1
FlOwer - 1

selig

Banned
Can someone explain the following to me:

This is a "Game of the Year"-topic. WHY are we voting for more than ONE game? This isnt a life or death-situation where a wrong decision gets you killed, lol. It´s the end of the year, and there should be ONE game that is your "game of the year". So why not have everyone vote for just that one game? We don´t need a representation of all good games of the year...everyone played those and knows them well. This should be the time and place to vote for ONE game...the game of the year.

Just my 2 cent on the whole voting system-discussion...

smik

3 Points
Uncharted 2

2 Points
Killzone 2
Bionic Commando (idc what anyone thinks i loved this game)
Forza 3

1 Point
Modern Warfare 2

AniHawk

selig said:

This is a "Game of the Year"-topic. WHY are we voting for more than ONE game? This isnt a life or death-situation where a wrong decision gets you killed, lol. It´s the end of the year, and there should be ONE game that is your "game of the year". So why not have everyone vote for just that one game? We don´t need a representation of all good games of the year...everyone played those and knows them well. This should be the time and place to vote for ONE game...the game of the year.

Well previous threads were always called "Games of the Year"

Acosta

Three Points
Dragon Age: Origins.

Two Points
Demon's Soul
Torchlight

One Point
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
Brutal Legend

Scotch

Uncharted 2 - 3
Batman Arkham Asylum - 2
Pixeljunk Shooter - 1
Assassin's Creed II - 1
God of War Collection - 1
Forza Motorsport 3 - 1
Shadow Complex - 1

Thanks for doing this, timetokill, but I'm not a fan of the new system. The old system was simpler and resulted in very respectable final lists I could agree with every year. I don't see the need for this change.

Aurelius

Demon's Souls - 3
Batman AA - 2
Uncharted - 2
Assassin's Creed II - 1
Bowsers Inside Story - 1
Plants vs Zombies - 1

Corto

selig said:

On the end that is what we are getting to... And I just wanted to add my positive opinion to this voting method. If it just was implemented from the beginning, maybe some of the negative opinions wouldn't exist.

so1337

Flower - 3 points

Beatles: Rock Band - 2 points
Uncharted 2 - 2 points

New Super Mario Bros Wii - 1 point
Assasin's Creed 2 - 1 point
Resident Evil 5 - 1 point

Durante

I really dislike the idea of only allowing voting for a single game. Last year this would have worked well for me, but this year I have 3 equal choices. Also, I think it would increase the "console warrior vote" problem, and the change would be at the cost of smaller titles.

If you only want to vote for a single game you can do so now.

Demon's Souls - 3

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 2
Killzone 2 - 2

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 1
Left 4 Dead 2 - 1
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 1

Dynoro

selig said:

Take an example survey of 100 people: 51 vote for game A as GOTY and 49 for Game B, however Game B would have got 51 votes as second best but Game A would have only got 5 (with games C onwards getting the other votes). Game B is actually liked by far more people than Game A but Game A would win if you could only choose one game

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Durante said:
I really dislike the idea of only allowing voting for a single game. Last year this would have worked well for me, but this year I have 3 equal choices. Also, I think it would increase the "console warrior vote" problem, and the change would be at the cost of smaller titles.

If you only want to vote for a single game you can do so now.
Yep.

Three Points

Demon's Souls
It has been years that a videogame could absorb me in the way Demon’s Souls did this year. This is what I have been waiting for this generation, how refreshing amidst all these sequels, recycled Ip’s and rehashed fps’s. Demon’s Souls offers a dark atmospheric world (reminiscent of Vagrant Story) and challenging gameplay. Through its (awesome) World Tendency system it all culminates into a fantastic and rewarding piece of entertainment.

Two Points

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Fluffy fresh fallen snow. It resides realistically and melts into a shiny puddle. Drake’s animation is something to behold, clutching his shot abdomen, he raises his hand to cover up his face when nearing flaming debris. The camera zooms in when Drake squeezes through narrow passages. The very first minutes of the game exhibits an amazing depth in presentation and storytelling and that is just the few first minutes of the game. What comes afterwards is the new standard of videogame presentation and storytelling.

One Point

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
The hours I've put in this game is astonishing. The Arena matches are one of the most deepest and satisfying online experiences thus far.

phaelf

Uncharted 2 - 3 points

Dragon Age: Origins - 2 points
inFamous - 2 points
The Beatles: Rock Band - 2 points

Killzone 2 - 1 point

Mushimesama Futari 360 3
Sin and Punishment 2 Wii 2
Modern Warfare 2 360 1
Bayonetta 360 1
Shadow Complex 360 1
Deathsmiles 360 1
Street Fighter IV 360/PS3 1

Mushi Futari is definitely my pick of the year. Beginner-friendly shooter that you can take to the most extreme if you choose to.

S&P2 I loved, and it's probably the most dramatic action game I've ever played, with constantly shifting environments and just a totally gonzo imagination. If Japanese gamers didn't get it, I'm hoping American gamers will.

MW2 and Bayonetta are both exceptional games and I love both. If it wasn't for Mushi Futari, I would have been playing more of each.

Shadow Complex was, beyond the controversy, a phenomenal DLC game, and I genuinely enjoyed my time with it.

Deathsmiles 360, another CAVE shooter for the 360, well ported and with the awesome 1.1 mode, which is just a clusterfuck of gold point items jumping everywhere and suicide bullets spawning from enemies.

SFIV, shit nowadays I don't really enjoy playing it, but I have to give shoutouts for the excellent port, and for bringing the fighting game scene back to life.

Lumine

Demon's Souls sounds like it would probably be my GOTY, but I can't vote for it since I haven't played it. Still kinda hoping for a European release. :(

Tekken 6 - 3
WipeOut HD Fury - 2
Uncharted 2 - 2
Killzone 2 - 1
Torchlight - 1

Assassins Creed 2:- 3 points
Little Kings Story:- 2 points
Uncharted 2:- 1 point
Fifa 10:- 1 point
Batman:- 1 point
Killzone 2:- 1 point
Bowsers Inside story 1 point

selig

Banned
Oh well, my vote:

WiiSports Resort - 3 points
Anno 1404 - 1 point

And unfortunately I was late with game, otherwise I´d give Fire Emblem Wii 2 points. And Crysis 1 point.
Btw. it´s awful how few people are voting for WiiSports Resort...you know...the ONE game that offers 1:1 controls right now.

AniHawk

selig said:
Oh well, my vote:

WiiSports Resort - 3 points
Anno 1404 - 1 point

And unfortunately I was late with game, otherwise I´d give Fire Emblem Wii 2 points. And Crysis 1 point.
Btw. it´s awful how few people are voting for WiiSports Resort...you know...the ONE game that offers 1:1 controls right now.

What about Tiger Woods?

AniHawk

selig said:
Does it have sword fighting?

Yes, but instead of a traditional sword, it's this long metal tube with a flat part at the end, and instead of hitting a person or another sword, you hit this round white ball. It's a pretty daring take on the concept.

Haunted

I don't like the new system, but I'm too lazy to run a GAF GOTY vote myself, so I accept whatever timtokill thought up since he's doing all the work. :p

Just to check ahead of posting - it's acceptable to just give 1 point to 10 different games each, right? I wouldn't want to leave a game out of my GOTY Top 10, even if that means they'll all get weighted equally. :/

blanky

Halo ODST - 2
GTA 4 Ballad of Gay Tony - 2
GTA 4 The Lost and Damned - 2
Battlefield 1943 - 2
Forza Motorsport 3 - 2

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 3
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 2
Tales of Monkey Island - 1
Trash Panic - 1
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time - 1
Modern Warfare 2 - 1
Red Faction Guerilla - 1

Facism

Uncharted 2 - 3
Killzone 2 - 2
Infamous - 2
Empire: Total War - 1

[edit]Realised Dead Space wasn't this year. Apologies.

Haunted said:
Just to check ahead of posting - it's acceptable to just give 1 point to 10 different games each, right? I wouldn't want to leave a game out of my GOTY Top 10.

Yes, that is perfectly fine.

3 Points = Uncharted 2 (If the rules allowed it I'd give it all 10 points)

2 Points = Street Fighter 4
2 Points = Forza Motorsport 3
2 Points = Shadow Complex

1 Point = Fifa 10

babuchy

Dragon Age: Origins - 3

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 2

Modern Warfare 2 - 1
Killzone 2 - 1
Resident Evil 5 - 1

Mar

Haunted said:
I don't like the new system, but I'm too lazy to run a GAF GOTY vote myself, so I accept whatever timtokill thought up since he's doing all the work. :p

Just to check ahead of posting - it's acceptable to just give 1 point to 10 different games each, right? I wouldn't want to leave a game out of my GOTY Top 10, even if that means they'll all get weighted equally. :/

That's what I did.

I don't like the new system, but I'm not about to chuck a tanty over it either.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Give 'em all one point.

Trials HD
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Little King's Story
Forza Motorsport 3
Uncharted 2
Noby Noby Boy
Street Fighter IV
Infamous
Shatter