• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread - 3 POINT SYSTEM, rules updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haunted said:
Sure, there are those people. But with the extremely diverse lineup this year has seen with amazing games on all platforms, I guess I just didn't expect there to be so many of them. That's why I was saying I'm surprised at the number of people whose lists only feature one company/platform.

Your second paragraph is a very good point, though. [And another valid point of criticism towards this year's voting system.]

2004: Konami
2005: Capcom
3006: Nintendo
2007: Nintendo
2008: Konami
2009: Naughty Dog

:p

Haunted can see the future.

Is it a one console future? PSWII82000?

Ri'Orius

Batman: Arkham Asylum - 3 point
inFamous - 2 point
Uncharted 2 - 2 point
Street Fighter 4 - 2 point
Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 1 point

AndyD

aka andydumi
HiResDes said:
Why in the fuck do you consider games like AA, DA, Borderlands, SFIV,etc. to be surrogates? Just because a game is an exclusive does automatically grant it some sort of superiority over multiplatformers

I think he meant there were not a lot of 360 exclusives this year, and those with only a 360 played the multiplatforms instead of the exclusives because there were hardly any exclusives to speak of. So the multiplatforms were surrogates for the missing 360 exclusives.

If I read it wrong, correct me.

I see very few lists with predominantly Wii and 360 exclusive games on them though. Lots of either Sony exclusives or multiplatforms.

crispyben

dsmoke1986 said:
For me, it's all or nothing, and my pick for game of the year is Uncharted 2 - 10.
Sorry...

timetokill said:
* 2009 VOTING RULES *
  1. Each voter gets ten (10) points total to award to their nominated games. You don't have to "spend" all of these points, but you can't go over the limit.
  2. Only ONE of your nominated games can be awarded THREE (3) points. This is effectively your singular vote for GAME OF THE YEAR. You do not, however, have to give 3 points to a title if you do not wish to.
  3. The rest of your nominated games can be given one or two points each. Again, your total cannot exceed 10 points.
  4. Only points of 1, 2, or 3 will be accepted.
  5. The voting will run from the time of this posting to January 10th, 2010 at midnight PST. (Please read the last note regarding extending the deadline)

Second said:
No matter the voting system, Uncharted 2 would've won anyway. And it deserves to win GOTY. Just like how the previous GAF game deserved their GOTY wins.

Nintendo and Sony games always seem to win, though. But you can take that as you will...

and it's basically always exclusive games. You'd think multiplatform games would have a better shot considering more people on different consoles had gotten a chance to play them but that's not the case at all. I don't really disagree with any of the winners but it's definitely a trend.

2004: Konami (Sony exclusive - MGS3)
2005: Capcom (multi - RE4)
2006: Nintendo (Nintendo exclusive - Zelda Wii)
2007: Nintendo (Nintendo exclusive - Super Mario Galaxy)
2008: Konami (Sony exclusive - MGS4)
2009: Naughty Dog (Sony exclusive - Uncharted 2)

DeadGzuz

Banned
AndyD said:
I think he meant there were not a lot of 360 exclusives this year, and those with only a 360 played the multiplatforms instead of the exclusives because there were hardly any exclusives to speak of. So the multiplatforms were surrogates for the missing 360 exclusives.

Thank you, you nailed it. They are fine games, but they are part of a larger list. Someone who own all platforms is going to have a larger pool to pick from, thus more exclusives.

I have a PS3, 360, gaming PC and a Wii under the tree. Now I just need a few clones to go to work, clean the house, etc. so I can play more games :D

xbhaskarx

Second said:
No matter the voting system, Uncharted 2 would've won anyway. And it deserves to win GOTY. Just like how the previous GAF game deserved their GOTY wins.

People here really still think MGS4 deserved GOTY last year?

Durante

HiResDes said:
Why in the fuck do you consider games like AA, DA, Borderlands, SFIV,etc. to be surrogates? Just because a game is an exclusive does automatically grant it some sort of superiority over multiplatformers
Not at all. However, this year Demon's Souls being Demon's Souls automatically grants it some sort of superiority over multi-platform titles.
Anyway, my list was dominated by PC games, just as it should be.

xbhaskarx said:
No, Valkyria Chronicles did. But that's also PS3 exclusive...

Noshino

AniHawk said:
I'm not sure why that is, either. I think GAF has a really sizable fanbase for pretty much anything, but the Sony base seems particularly large, and much larger than the Nintendo one, but whenever it comes to a vote, the Nintendo games get a lot of support.

I think Sony and Nintendo's fanbase are near the same, with the Microsoft one near behind. Now, I think that Sony and Microsoft's fanbase are more active, and Nintendo's, while not as active, is usually *ahem* always, the most vocal one.

xbhaskarx said:

People still think that SMG is the best game ever... :lol

cr_blah_blah said:
and it's basically always exclusive games. You'd think multiplatform games would have a better shot considering more people on different consoles had gotten a chance to play them but that's not the case at all. I don't really disagree with any of the winners but it's definitely a trend.

2004: Konami (Sony exclusive - MGS3)
2005: Capcom (multi - RE4)
2006: Nintendo (Nintendo exclusive - Zelda Wii)
2007: Nintendo (Nintendo exclusive - Super Mario Galaxy)
2008: Konami (Sony exclusive - MGS4)
2009: Naughty Dog (Sony exclusive - Uncharted 2)
That doesn't really seem all that surprising to me. Exclusive games generally make more liberal use of things that are unique to the given console. Zelda/SMG used the Wiimote, Uncharted 2 used PS3 SPU's (or something like that) to do some of the heavy lifting.

Alts

xbhaskarx said:

I'd imagine most of the people who put it at #1 on their list did. And that number is pretty damn large.

How do you determine whether a game deserves or doesnt deserve the award?
I sure as hell didn't vote for it, but many people did, and for that reason it deserves to win.

xbhaskarx

I hate that I can no longer rate ten games except by essentially placing them all at #10....

1. The Beatles Rock Band - 1
2. Uncharted 2 - 1
3. Call of Duty MW 2 - 1
4. Left 4 Dead 2 - 1
5. Shadow Complex - 1
6. Forza 3 - 1
7. Borderlands - 1
8. Killzone 2 - 1
9. Torchlight - 1
10. Plants vs Zombies - 1

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Noshino said:
I think Sony and Nintendo's fanbase are near the same, with the Microsoft one near behind. Now, I think that Sony and Microsoft's fanbase are more active, and Nintendo's, while not as active, is usually *ahem* always, the most vocal one.
Are you kidding - did you miss the Killzone 2 gifs, the constant Uncharted 2 references, the GTA/Forza free for all thread? Nintendo fans may be more vocal in specific threads - but there is a contingent of Sony fans consistently turn up in almost every thread regardless of topic to post the current meme.

slayzz

Demon's Soul - 3 points

Street Fighter 4 - 2 points
Uncharted 2 - 2 points

Brutal Legend - 1 point
PixelJunk Shooter - 1 point
League of Legends -1 point

imtehman

Banned
cr_blah_blah said:
I'm surprised, with 19 more days before you have to vote, so many people have played everything they want from 2009. Especially with Xmas coming up I'd assume a lot of people would get games then that would probably make their list. Maybe it's just me that still gets a game or two as gifts when he goes back home for the holidays. I see no need to rush.

well this is a hardcore gamer's forum.

Tailzo

I know you're not doing a tally of points, and I don't want to spoil for the rest. I did an automatic word tally though. This says nothing about the number of points each title has got, just number of word appearances. I can't say I am too surprised, but a lot of niche titles are totally forgotten.

I'm waiting 'till after christmas to vote, just in case I've gotten any games for Christmas. I like this system though.

Noshino

poppabk said:
Are you kidding - did you miss the Killzone 2 gifs, the constant Uncharted 2 references, the GTA/Forza free for all thread?

No, I didn't miss them, but do you remember what made them so angry? Also, the free for all thread was exactly about unleashing it all, and it wasn't just the Sony fanbase on those threads :lol

Nintendo fans may be more vocal in specific threads

Like the Zelda Wii thing?

They are also the ones that love to poke fun at Sony games.

Anyway, it is very hard to say anything wrong about SMG, Metroid Prime Series or Mario Kart Wii/DS (in that I found DD better than them) without having fans all worked up.

but there is a contingent of Sony fans consistently turn up in almost every thread regardless of topic to post the current meme.

Most of the times there is someone from outside the fanbase that gets people to do those things. The same apply to the 3 camps, hell, even at times the PC camp also gets involved :lol

zoku88

Haunted said:
Also a short observation - I'm seeing way more "exclusive" lists (only PS3 games, or only Nintendo games etc.) than I expected.

I thought three years into this generation many of us were past this point of single console ownership. Apparently multi-console ownership is not as widely spread as I thought on GAF. :/
or a lot of people are fanboys using this GOTY vote to push their agenda. But I'm an optimistic guy and like to think that's not the case.
Well, for a price of a new console, you can buy like, 5 new games, so it's probably not worth it to many ppl.

Tailzo

zoku88 said:
Well, for a price of a new console, you can buy like, 5 new games, so it's probably not worth it to many ppl.
There are several multiplatform games high up on the list. I don't think this is a fanboy issue, imo.

What's really missing after my word tally, is the handheld titles. Almost makes me wish for a handheld goty thread.

inner-G

Banned
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 3

Persona 3 Portable - 2

Muramasa: The Demon Blade - 2

Katamari Forever: 2

BlazBlue - 1

Awesome Year! :D

botticus

Tailzo said:
There are several multiplatform games high up on the list. I don't think this is a fanboy issue, imo.

What's really missing after my word tally, is the handheld titles. Almost makes me wish for a handheld goty thread.
Yeah, I was gonna say that the lack of handheld games is a far bigger issue than the real or imagined console preferences. But I suppose it isn't really surprising.

WinFonda

cr_blah_blah said:

2004: Konami (Japanese Developed)
2005: Capcom (Japanese Developed)
2006: Nintendo (Japanese Developed)
2007: Nintendo (Japanese Developed)
2008: Konami (Japanese Developed)
2009: Naughty Dog (Western Developed)
We could also say GAF favors Japanese developed games, as only one game on this list is Western developed. Which would mean Uncharted 2 is actually breaking the GAF GOTY mold, and not necessarily conforming entirely to it.

However, most (all?) of these games went on to carry GOTY awards abroad in many publications, so it's not really an aberrant GAF hive mind thing. I mean, yeah, the internet is an echo chamber, but honestly if these games weren't chosen by GAF it would cast serious doubt in my mind in GAF's ability to represent the absolute best game of the year.

Uncharted 2 - 3 points

Plants vs Zombies - 2 points
Trials HD - 2 points

Killzone 2 - 1 point
New Super Mario Bros Wii - 1 point
Flower - 1 point

LosDaddie

Banned
poppabk said:
Are you kidding - did you miss the Killzone 2 gifs, the constant Uncharted 2 references, the GTA/Forza free for all thread? Nintendo fans may be more vocal in specific threads - but there is a contingent of Sony fans consistently turn up in almost every thread regardless of topic to post the current meme.

GAF leans toward Sony consoles. That should be clear to anyone who has been here for while. I don't know why it's even a debate.

Cheech

LosDaddie said:
GAF leans toward Sony consoles. That should be clear to anyone who has been here for while. I don't know why it's even a debate.

I would say GAF reflects the sales for the home countries of the posters. PS3 fanboys are mostly European or Otaku, and 360 is mostly USA. I catch most of this from the OT forums, and a light bulb comes on when I see the dude who spammed Killzone 2 GIFs everywhere talking about his "favourite pubs".

I'm American and not a fanboy of either system, though I generally buy 360 multiplatform games. Demon's Souls is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. But Killzone 2 was a borderline shitpile, and Uncharted 2 is hilariously overrated. It makes me sad when I see a best of list comprised of those 3 games (plus Infamous), because clearly there are people out there either with agendas or they simply haven't played enough games to give an informed opinion about what the actual best games of the year are.

Cheech said:
I'm American and not a fanboy of either system, though I generally buy 360 multiplatform games. Demon's Souls is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. But Killzone 2 was a borderline shitpile, and Uncharted 2 is hilariously overrated. It makes me sad when I see a best of list comprised of those 3 games (plus Infamous), because clearly there are people out there either with agendas or they simply haven't played enough games to give an informed opinion about what the actual best games of the year are.

Is this some kinda of joke? Basically, if everyone doesn't agree with you, it means that they either have an agenda or haven't played enough games. Are you serious? And what's worst, you listed 2 games with meta averages of 90 and 96 and call them overrated, although they have huge communities and have been scoring a lot of GotY awards. :lol

Haunted

Cheech said:
Or they simply haven't played enough games to give an informed opinion about what the actual best games of the year are.
Ignoring the company angle of your post, that's actually a very valid point.

If someone plays only one game in 2009 and (has to) call this his GOTY, is he really in a position to judge the best game(s) of that year? I mean, obviously not everyone can play every game out there, but is there a minimum threshold of [worthwhile]
who decides what is worthwhile?
games someone should've played to be able to participate in a GOTY thread? Something to think about for next year's thread, for sure.

I say force people to make a Top 10 GOTY list or they aren't allowed to participate. Bam.

Redd

Cheech said:
and Uncharted 2 is hilariously overrated.

I wouldn't say overrated. Would have been my GOTY if not for Batman and Assassins Creed 2. Besides I'm sure most people that vote don't play a wide range of games so the list the games they have played and loved.

Mar

Re: the one console owners, fanboys, and how it affects lists.

Well, all my games in my top 10 were 360 games (except for one C64 game of course). Does that mean I'm an MS fanboy? No. In fact I actively dislike the company and dislike the hardware. What is true though is that I haven't found the need to buy a PS3 yet (2 or 3 games I want but not enough to race out with cash in my hand), and I used to own a Wii but sold it to my sister after it sat dormant for almost a year.

Sony does seem to be more highly represented in this years lists. But that's a case of Sony having a strong year, and the new voting system means there's less of a chance of a broader range of games getting a mention. So someone might really love those couple of Sony exclusives and multi platformers, but lower in the list might be 1 or 2 Wii games or a 360 game, but there's no points left to assign so it gets left off.

Puck

Banned
Cheech said:
I'm American and not a fanboy of either system, though I generally buy 360 multiplatform games. Demon's Souls is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. But Killzone 2 was a borderline shitpile, and Uncharted 2 is hilariously overrated. It makes me sad when I see a best of list comprised of those 3 games (plus infamous)
Sounds a lot like a Fanboy to me. How can you scream and cry that GAF is biased when every other publication came to the same conclusion for goty and the other 2 games are highly respected by everyone but yourself and non ps3 owners?

Haunted said:
Ignoring the company angle of your post, that's actually a very valid point.

If someone plays only one game in 2009 and (has to) call this his GOTY, is he really in a position to judge the best game(s) of that year? I mean, obviously not everyone can play every game out there, but is there a minimum threshold of [worthwhile]
who decides what is worthwhile?
games someone should've played to be able to participate in a GOTY thread? Something to think about for next year's thread, for sure.

I say force people to make a Top 10 GOTY list or they aren't allowed to participate. Bam.

Making them do a Top 10 won't prevent the "agenda" folks from simply listing out more platform exclusives, or failing that, a bunch of "lol IMAGINEZ" games to try and mess with things.

I'm thinking of doing some stats on the number of people who do platform or company-exclusive votes, purely out of interest. Offhand it looks like the most sizable group is voting Sony-only.

I think the fact that exclusive games tend to win outlines a few things... a lot of exclusives get the heaviest marketing, and the one-platform owners tend to be very passionate about those titles. And of course you have your fanboy-console warriors, but nothing you can really do about that. (And in the list above... when RE4 won, it was still Cube-exclusive at the time, wasn't it? I thought the PS2 version came out the following January)

Tailzo said:

The handhelds always get lost in the shuffle, both on GAF and in wider media. It doesn't have that "Hollywood" appeal, as was mentioned earlier.

That said, last year's top handheld title came in at 20th place. This year we have one at 22nd, and it's not far from 20th either.

But even based on thread lengths and such, you don't tend to get the super-huge, passionate groups for handheld games like you do with the blockbuster games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom