• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread - 3 POINT SYSTEM, rules updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheech said:
I think this system is great.

Lop off everyone's "3 pt vote", and you'll get a real top 10 list, because it will nullify the "fanboy magnet" vote getters.

Good idea actually. I know some companies do this when conducting "polls" about products.

JWong

Banned
Cheech said:
I think this system is great.

Lop off everyone's "3 pt vote", and you'll get a real top 10 list, because it will nullify the "fanboy magnet" vote getters.
Maybe GOTYs are meant to get GOTYs?

krioto

THREE
Uncharted 2 - Among Thieves (3 points)

TWO
Assassin's Creed 2 (2 points)
Batman - Arkham Asylum (2 points)
Killzone 2 (2 points)

ONE
inFamous (1 point)

DigiMish

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 3 points
Street Fighter IV - 2 points
Plants VS Zombies - 1 points
Killzone 2 - 1 point
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 1 point
Assassin's Creed II - 1 point
Infamous - 1 point

That's got to be the most idiotic suggestion ever. What's the whole purpose of GOTY thread if you are going to lop off everybody's GOTY. :lol :lol :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
marc^o^ said:
Uncharted 2 could win a Game of the last 5 years voting thread.
I wouldn't be surprised, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I didn't get as many new games as usual in the latter half of the year, since my budget took a big hit when my old computer broke down in June. Oh well, I'll clear the backlog eventually...

Harvest Moon Tree of Tranquility - 2 points *
Muramasa - 2 points
NPC DK Jungle Beat - 2 points
Street Fighter IV - 2 points
Another Code R - 1 point **
Zelda Spirit Tracks - 1 point

* Unfortunately, I'm European.
** Fortunately, I'm European.

SmokyDave

Trials HD - 3 Points.
GT PSP - 2 Points.
Uncharted 2 - 2 Points.
Borderlands - 2 Points.
GTA: ChinaTown Wars - 1 Point.

It's a shame this topic is so full of cynicism.

batbeg

This year... Jesus.

Demon's Souls - 3
Uncharted 2 - 1
LocoRoco Midnight Carnival - 1
Jak & Daxter The Lost Frontier - 1
Super Mario Bros Wii - 1
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers - 1
Borderlands - 1
Little King's Story - 1

These are the ones that stuck with me most strongly, though I've still not given some like MW2 or PJ Shooter a chance yet.

AniHawk

Rez said:
I wouldn't be surprised, but I wouldn't bet on it.

It wouldn't happen. If the Best Games of All Time thread was any indication, it would be Mario Galaxy.

When I was doing these, no other game had as many points as Mario Galaxy. Even last year when there were more points spread around overall and more people voting, MGS4 didn't get as much support as SMG did.

I'm not sure why that is, either. I think GAF has a really sizable fanbase for pretty much anything, but the Sony base seems particularly large, and much larger than the Nintendo one, but whenever it comes to a vote, the Nintendo games get a lot of support.

ZeroGravity

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 3
Wii Sports Resort - 2
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - 2
NHL 10 - 1
Scribblenauts - 1
Muramasa: The Demon Blade - 1

Durante

AniHawk said:
I'm not sure why that is, either. I think GAF has a really sizable fanbase for pretty much anything, but the Sony base seems particularly large, and much larger than the Nintendo one, but whenever it comes to a vote, the Nintendo games get a lot of support.
I'm not sure why people always assume that. Three years ago at least the results of a self-identification poll looked like this:
gaffans.png

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AniHawk said:
It wouldn't happen. If the Best Games of All Time thread was any indication, it would be Mario Galaxy.

When I was doing these, no other game had as many points as Mario Galaxy. Even last year when there were more points spread around overall and more people voting, MGS4 didn't get as much support as SMG did.

It depends on the type of Nintendo game.

If it's a game that is worthy of its prior legacy on older systems - like Galaxy - you'll see the support coming out.

The reason being, I think, is that among all the fanbases I think you'll find a heavy presence of 'Nintendo' in the early years of gaming. You might be a Sony or a MS fan today, but there's a fairly good chance Nintendo was top dog for you way back when (it was likely either them or Sega). So when Nintendo comes out with something that these folks feel is worthy of the Nintendo they cherished in their younger years - particularly in the two top Nintendo franchises, Mario & Zelda - the love overfloweth.

That's my theory on it anyway.

edit - the kind of split above in Durante's post would help too :p But I think for those kinds of games the support goes beyond self-identified Nintendo fans for the reasons above.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Durante said:
I'm not sure why people always assume that. Three years ago at least the results of a self-identification poll looked like this:
http://i.imagehost.org/0093/gaffans.png[img][/QUOTE]
not that this is necessarily a negative thing, but I think you might be surprised how many people in the Uncharted 2 or [PS3 Exclusive X] joined in 2007 or later.

Update after counting votes through Page 5:

- 2,829 total points tallied
- 219 titles nominated
- Two games are tied for 8th, though one of the two games has shown up in 10 fewer ballots than the other game
- One of the games in the Top 10 only has 2 "first-place" votes (scores of 3)

Denzar

Great voting system I must say.

Uncharted 2 - 2
Batman Arkham Asylum - 2
Borderlands - 1
Killzone 2 - 1
Assassins Creed II - 1
Red Faction Guerrilla - 1
inFAMOUS - 1
The Saboteur - 1

AniHawk

gofreak said:
It depends on the type of Nintendo game.

If it's a game that is worthy of its prior legacy on older systems - like Galaxy - you'll see the support coming out.

The reason being, I think, is that among all the fanbases I think you'll find a heavy presence of 'Nintendo' in the early years of gaming. You might be a Sony or a MS fan today, but there's a fairly good chance Nintendo was top dog for you way back when (it was likely either them or Sega). So when Nintendo comes out with something that these folks feel is worthy of the Nintendo they cherished in their younger years - particularly in the two top Nintendo franchises, Mario & Zelda - the love overfloweth.

That's my theory on it anyway.

edit - the kind of split above in Durante's post would help too :p But I think for those kinds of games the support goes beyond self-identified Nintendo fans for the reasons above.

My theory is that most of the Nintendo fans lurk the site, while a large percentage of Sony and MS fans actually post. Because most Sony/MS games involve some online aspect, you see discussion about multiplayer games and more people wanting in all the time, where a Nintendo game is usually single player and the discussion is pretty limited. I still can't figure out why Uncharted (the first one) had a bigger thread than Super Mario Galaxy, but using this theory, I think it makes sense.

That said, there are lots of lurkers everywhere. I gave out 8 Uncharted 2 beta codes earlier this year and all of them went to people I've never seen before. And when I was tallying up the type of people who voted for SMG and U2, there were a lot of people who I'd never seen voting for the former. They would have probably been junior members if they hadn't been here so long.

HiResDes

AniHawk said:
My theory is that most of the Nintendo fans lurk the site, while a large percentage of Sony and MS fans actually post. Because most Sony/MS games involve some online aspect, you see discussion about multiplayer games and more people wanting in all the time, where a Nintendo game is usually single player and the discussion is pretty limited. I still can't figure out why Uncharted (the first one) had a bigger thread than Super Mario Galaxy, but using this theory, I think it makes sense.

That said, there are lots of lurkers everywhere. I gave out 8 Uncharted 2 beta codes earlier this year and all of them went to people I've never seen before. And when I was tallying up the type of people who voted for SMG and U2, there were a lot of people who I'd never seen voting for the former. They would have probably been junior members if they hadn't been here so long.
As a dude that would probably be labeled as a MS guy, I find that Sony users are overall the most vocal of the three.

[Nintex]

Durante said:
I think that due to Nintendo going casual and people shitting on the Wii from all angles there seems to be more balance in the force. I'd say Sony/Nintendo are about equal in fanbase on GAF now with Microsoft being in third position. Maybe we should do another thread to investigate this?

The huge Killzone and Uncharted 2 threads did encourage new PS3 gamers to sign up on GAF. The increase of European GAF members probably has influence as well since Sony's 'core' crowd is quite large there.

keenest

Uncharted 2 - 3

Red Faction: Guerrilla - 2
Resident Evil 5 - 2

Killzone 2 - 1
Ratchet and Clank a Crack In Time - 1
Call of Duty Modern Warefare 2 - 1

Durante said:
gaffans.png

This place is a nintendo fantard heavan. Personally i think the little white brick is more of a gadget than a games console.

[Nintex] said:
I think that due to Nintendo going casual and people shitting on the Wii from all angles there seems to be more balance in the force. I'd say Sony/Nintendo are about equal in fanbase on GAF now with Microsoft being in third position. Maybe we should do another thread to investigate this?

We already did (I'll refer to the "publisher with the highest amount of games in your library"). Sony won by a land slide. Then again, that could just mean that Sony really is the best games publisher and that the "neutral" people are pushing the chart to Sony's side.

Durante

Cheesemeister said:
There's got to be a better way of doing this. Perhaps I'll have to do some automated vote tallying with a specified format next year.
The problem with that is how many ways there are to write many games' names. Of course it would be possible to just specify a canonical name for each candidate and everyone who doesn't use it is out of luck.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Cheesemeister said:
There's got to be a better way of doing this. Perhaps I'll have to do some automated vote tallying with a specified format next year.

You can set up one of those free polls on Google I think. Fill in a couple dozen games per console, then give out 10 points to be distributed across.

One of our work fun Xmas polls was done that way, I will ask the lady who put it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom