• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread - 3 POINT SYSTEM, rules updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XrazZ

Neo Member
3 points:
Demon's Souls

2 points:
Borderlands
Assassin's Creed 2

1 point:
Killzone 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Shadow Complex

pringles

Halo 3:ODST - 3 points

CoD4:MW2 - 2 points

Trials HD - 1 point

Heh, the only 3 games released this year that I've played. But looking at other peoples choices it seems I haven't missed much. Not a great year for gaming, huh? Gotta check out that Batman game though, I had no idea it was any good.

PuMa

Uncharted 2 - 3 points

Demon's Souls - 2 points

Borderlands - 1 point
Left for Dead 2 - 1 point
Critter Crunch - 1 point

Durante said:
The problem with that is how many ways there are to write many games' names. Of course it would be possible to just specify a canonical name for each candidate and everyone who doesn't use it is out of luck.

That's what I'm thinking. The OP would simply contain a catalog of the year's games to choose from. Of course, that'd be a real pain for one person to compile for all regions.

PacoDG

3pts - Red Faction Guerrilla

2pts - New Super Mario Bros Wii
- Lego Rock Band
- Street Fighter IV

1pts - The Beatles Rock Band

That was actually kind of hard.

Reno7728

Left 4 Dead 2 - 3 points

New Super Mario Bros Wii - 2 points
Empire Total War - 2 points

Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 (wii, if that matters) - 1 point
Borderlands - 1 point
Mirrors Edge (Pc version released in january) - 1 point

Keikoku

Banned
AniHawk said:
I'm not sure why that is, either. I think GAF has a really sizable fanbase for pretty much anything, but the Sony base seems particularly large, and much larger than the Nintendo one, but whenever it comes to a vote, the Nintendo games get a lot of support.

Pretty much.

Haunted

marc^o^ said:
Uncharted 2 could win a Game of the last 5 years voting thread.
With Galaxy around? I'd hope not.

I'd say Sony/Nintendo are about equal in fanbase on GAF now with Microsoft being in third position. Maybe we should do another thread to investigate this?
Yes please! I'd think that'd be real interesting.

Wii Sports Resort - 3 points
Scribblenauts - 2 points
Art Style: PiCTOBiTS - 1 point

Edit: Also going to give Metroid Prime Trilogy 1 point. If I had had time to finish it, it might have gotten more, but as it is, I'm only going to give it one point for now.

IlludiumQ36

Dragon Age: Origins - 3 points
Left 4 Dead 2 - 2 points
Borderlands - 2 points
Torchlight - 2 points
Team Fortress 2 updateS - 1 point

Uncharted 2 - 3 points
Bionic Commando - 2 points
Outrun Online Arcade - 1 point

*Edited for adding 1 point to OutRun, permission given by timetokill

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
3 points
Dawn of War II - 3

2 points
Wii Sports Resort - 2
Torchlight - 2
Dragon Age : Origins - 2

1 point
Plants vs Zombies - 1

Haunted

Also a short observation - I'm seeing way more "exclusive" lists (only PS3 games, or only Nintendo games etc.) than I expected.

I thought three years into this generation many of us were past this point of single console ownership. Apparently multi-console ownership is not as widely spread as I thought on GAF. :/
or a lot of people are fanboys using this GOTY vote to push their agenda. But I'm an optimistic guy and like to think that's not the case.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Halo 3: ODST - 3
AION - 2
Halo Wars - 2
Forza 3 - 1
Borderlands - 1
Dragon Age: Origins - 1

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Durante said:
I'm not sure why people always assume that. Three years ago at least the results of a self-identification poll looked like this:
gaffans.png
PC gaming is completely dead according to GAF, or does MS include PC's?

3 Points (MY GOTY)
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

2 Points
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
God of War Collection (Not sure if this one count, but it was release on PS3)

1 Point
Braid
Brütal Legend

knights in the nightmare - 3
batman aa - 2
blazblue - 1
demons souls - 1
torchlight - 1
new super mario bros wii - 1
phantasy star portable - 1

AndyD

aka andydumi
poppabk said:
PC gaming is completely dead according to GAF, or does MS include PC's?

I think its console only.

My question is how do you ask the questions? Is it ownership, favorite console, favorite publisher?

jett

D-Member
Uncharted 2 - 3

Assassin's Creed 2- 2
Flower - 2

Shatter - 1
Killzone 2 - 1
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 1

---

I definitely like last year's voting system better. Wasn't Anihawk in charge of this shit? What happened?

DeadGzuz

Banned
Haunted said:
Also a short observation - I'm seeing way more "exclusive" lists (only PS3 games, or only Nintendo games etc.) than I expected.

The PS3 had a great year for exclusives, the 360 not so much. I would suspect a lot of 360 only owners are using surrogates like AC2, DA, AA, etc. A few braves souls will put ODST and Halo Wars as top games.

I have no idea what was going on in the Wii scene, mine is in the box for the kids on X-mas.

GeoramA

3 points
inFamous

2 points
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Flower

1 point
Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time

HiResDes

DeadGzuz said:
The PS3 had a great year for exclusives, the 360 not so much. I would suspect a lot of 360 only owners are using surrogates like AC2, DA, AA, etc. A few braves souls will put ODST and Halo Wars as top games.

I have no idea what was going on in the Wii scene, mine is in the box for the kids on X-mas.
Why in the fuck do you consider games like AA, DA, Borderlands, SFIV,etc. to be surrogates? Just because a game is an exclusive does automatically grant it some sort of superiority over multiplatformers

tokkun

Shadow Complex - 3

Knights in the Nightmare - 2
Muramasa: The Demon Blade - 2
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - 2

Policenauts (English translation patch) - 1

tokkun

Durante said:
I'm not sure why people always assume that. Three years ago at least the results of a self-identification poll looked like this:

Hm, I wonder if anything might have happened that could have affected Nintendo gamers over the last 3 years. Hmm.......

KZObsessed

Haunted said:

I thought three years into this generation many of us were past this point of single console ownership. Apparently multi-console ownership is not as widely spread as I thought on GAF. :/
or a lot of people are fanboys using this GOTY vote to push their agenda. But I'm an optimistic guy and like to think that's not the case.

Just because there are people who have only voted for PlayStation games or Nintendo games, doesn't necessarily mean they only own one system or are "fanboys." It could simply mean, oh I don't know, they genuinely just thought those games were the best? :p

Plus, with this year's method, after you've voted for you personal GOTY and allocated 3 points you have less choices than previous years, so maybe some people's lists contain more exclusives because they've had to miss a few titles off.

Magni

3 points:
Forza Motorsport 3

2 points:
Halo 3: ODST
Pokémon: Platinum
Assassin's Creed 2

1 point:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Listed by amount of fun/time spent.

slewis7

Demons Souls - 3 points

Batman Arkham Asylum - 1 point
Infamous - 1 point
Assassins Creed 2 - 1 point
Uncharted 2 - 1 point
Critter Crunch - 1 point

Demon's Souls - 3

Street Fighter 4 - 2

Knights in the Nightmare - 1
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes - 1
Half-Minute Hero - 1
Dissidia: Final Fantasy - 1
Uncharted 2 - 1

Majmun

No matter the voting system, Uncharted 2 would've won anyway. And it deserves to win GOTY. Just like how the previous GAF game deserved their GOTY wins.

Nintendo and Sony games always seem to win, though. But you can take that as you will...

I'm surprised, with 19 more days before you have to vote, so many people have played everything they want from 2009. Especially with Xmas coming up I'd assume a lot of people would get games then that would probably make their list. Maybe it's just me that still gets a game or two as gifts when he goes back home for the holidays. I see no need to rush.

Haunted

FFObsessed said:
Just because there are people who have only voted for PlayStation games or Nintendo games, doesn't necessarily mean they only own one system or are "fanboys." It could simply mean, oh I don't know, they genuinely just thought those games were the best? :p

Plus, with this year's method, after you've voted for you personal GOTY and allocated 3 points you have less choices than previous years, so maybe some people's lists contain more exclusives because they've had to miss a few titles off.
Sure, there are those people. But with the extremely diverse lineup this year has seen with amazing games on all platforms, I guess I just didn't expect there to be so many of them. That's why I was saying I'm surprised at the number of people whose lists only feature one company/platform.

Your second paragraph is a very good point, though. [And another valid point of criticism towards this year's voting system.]

Second said:
Nintendo and Sony games always seem to win, though. But you can take that as you will...
2004: Konami
2005: Capcom
2006: Nintendo
2007: Nintendo
2008: Konami
2009: Naughty Dog

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom