• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf, help me find new speakers for my apartment (which won't annoy my neighbor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past five years or so, I've been using Logitech's Z523 computer speakers for just about every type of audio I want to play, be it from my PC or the various game consoles hooked up to my projector. They sound pretty decent to my ears, but they're very clearly designed to be used with the included subwoofer—turn it off and the sound becomes incredibly tinny and awful.

Unfortunately, I moved into a new apartment three months ago (my first out of college!), and these speakers seem to be causing problems for my neighbor—she bangs on the wall maybe once every two weeks to tell me to quiet down. Since I'm really not one to set the volume particularly high, I'm relatively sure that the source of the problem is the subwoofer—which, as I said, I can't turn off without making everything sound terrible. I think this might be a good opportunity to invest in a (somewhat) nicer set of speakers, which I can use without a subwoofer. I have pretty much no idea how to go about this, so I was hoping Gaf could give me some recommendations.

Notes:

• From most to least frequent, these speakers will be used for: Audiobooks, Video Games, TV/Movies, Music
  • I want to just get stereo speakers for now, but I might want to upgrade to surround in the future.
  • I think I want to stay in the $300 range, but I don't have a set budget—If something really great costs more (or is a good deal for less), I'll find a way to make it work. That said, I am decidedly not an audiofile and I don't want to go overboard on something I won't hear. There is no way in hell I would spend more than $1,000.
  • Here is a floorplan of my apartment. It's pretty echoey, but because it's a studio there's basically nothing I can do. X's denote where the speakers will go—which, yes, means one of them will be in a corner. This is the wall I use for my projector, and it's opposite the one I share with my neighbor.
  • I want to prioritize mids and highs over lows, because the latter travels through walls more easily. I'm hoping I won't notice too much if the former is good.

Also, stupid question time—what is a receiver and why do I need it? Are there any other pieces I need to understand as someone coming from super basic computer speakers?

Thanks!

Get a soundbar. They're far better than these Logitech speakers that you're using, and they sound very crisp. Don't go buckwild on spending. You can get a great soundbar for less than $400.

Also, you don't need a receiver. That's for dedicated surround sound systems, which I think is not fit for studio apartments if your neighbors are complaining.

They usually come with or without wireless subwoofers.

A receiver is an amplifier and a pre-amplifer in one. It takes all the connectors for all your tech things like game console, cable box, tv, radio etc and makes them controlled and connected to your sound output. Up to the number of ports that the receiver has anyway.

TimmmV

If you're spending the money solely to not cause noise for your neighbour then decent headphones would be a better thing to look at imo

Cudder

Do you actually have the overall volume too loud or is it just the low frequencies from the sub that's causing the issue?

If it's the sub, maybe just invest in a subwoofer that has a volume knob (if yours doesn't right now).

A decent set of bookshelf speakers will do you good, can be had for cheap, and don't require a subwoofer (which as someone who lives in an apartment, is what most of the noise complaints come from).

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but higher quality speakers in the positions op indicated on the floor plan are going to cause just as many problems if not more, right? Since speakers that cost a few hundred bucks and don't use a subwoofer are going to be pumping a good amount of bass directly out of the main speakers...? If that's a shared wall, better speakers aren't going to make your neighbor any happier imho

Water

Unfortunately, I moved into a new apartment three months ago (my first out of college!), and these speakers seem to be causing problems for my neighbor—she bangs on the wall maybe once every two weeks to tell me to quiet down.
No matter what kind of adjustments you make, maybe ask the neighbor if you could test the disturbance potential with her sometime? As in, put on some material that has a lot of bass at a high volume, visit her place to hear what (if anything) is getting through, and adjust? If she's a reasonable person, she should be happy to do this because it should mean no more disturbance (since you know exactly how much volume is OK).

Jayof9s

Get a soundbar. They're far better than these Logitech speakers that you're using, and they sound very crisp. Don't go buckwild on spending. You can get a great soundbar for less than $400.

Also, you don't need a receiver. That's for dedicated surround sound systems, which I think is not fit for studio apartments if your neighbors are complaining.

They usually come with or without wireless subwoofers.

Based on the soundbar my roommate got and the one I bought, even if they don't have a dedicated subwoofer they tend to still have a decent amount of bass and that will carry through walls and probably still annoy the hell out of the neighbor...

The problem with bass is it carries. It doesn't matter if your volume is way down, it's inescapable.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but higher quality speakers in the positions op indicated on the floor plan are going to cause just as many problems if not more, right? Since speakers that cost a few hundred bucks and don't use a subwoofer are going to be pumping a good amount of bass directly out of the main speakers...? If that's a shared wall, better speakers aren't going to make your neighbor any happier imho

Correct...

OP: regardless of what option you go with, you're either going to have to learn to deal with sound with the subwoofer (or the bass) turned off or have a pissed off neighbor.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
No matter what kind of adjustments you make, maybe ask the neighbor if you could test the disturbance potential with her sometime? As in, put on some material that has a lot of bass at a high volume, visit her place to hear what (if anything) is getting through, and adjust? If she's a reasonable person, she should be happy to do this because it should mean no more disturbance (since you know exactly how much volume is OK).

She bangs on the wall instead of walking a few step to discuss her concerns. This pretty much rule her out as reasonable person.

If you're spending the money solely to not cause noise for your neighbour then decent headphones would be a better thing to look at imo
It's not the sole reason; I'd like some better speakers anyway.

Headphones have a tendency to give me migraines—I'm not sure why. They're also kind of annoying to use while I'm in bed, or cooking, or folding laundry, etc.

Do you actually have the overall volume too loud or is it just the low frequencies from the sub that's causing the issue?

If it's the sub, maybe just invest in a subwoofer that has a volume knob (if yours doesn't right now).

I'm pretty sure it's the low frequencies, if only because I can't imagine what else it would be. I have the volume such that it's just loud enough to comfortably hear/understand dialogue. Sometimes when she knocks I'll switch to a small Bluetooth speaker I normally use in the shower, which has less bass due to its size. This never seems to cause problems.

There's a bass volume knob, it just kind of sucks. It seems to go from still-tons-of bass to none at all. And btw, when the bass is off, my main speakers sound worse than the aforementioned tiny Bluetooth shower speaker. This is why I think getting new speakers will help.

To everyone suggesting sound bars—I'd like to have the ability to upgrade to surround at some point down the road. Not sure if I'll ever actually do it, but would like to keep the option open.

Sorry for being confusing—that's NOT a shared wall, the opposite one is. I have my speakers there precisely because the wall isn't shared.

Edit: Double post fail :/

Toparaman

Banned
Do your neighbor a favor and buy high-quality headphones instead. As an added bonus, you'll hear more details than you would with speakers.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

the problem with shitty 2.1 setups is the balance. even if you EQ it, the subwoofer will still pump out bass at twice the level it should.

a good pair of bookshelf speakers will have a much more neutral balance and will respond better to an EQ, allowing you to chip off the frequencies that really punch through walls.

the bigger problem is the shitty build quality of even relatively expensive modern flats.

Engell

I actually had alot of complaints from my old 2.1 computer speaker setup. But never any complaints about blasting my fulltower b&w speakers with dual 10" bass drivers, both placed in the same room.. I think the subwoofer will always make things sound alot worse for your neighbours.

Get the best bookshelf speakers you can get and start with a little dac/blutooth/amp like the SMSL AD18. Then you can always upgrade later with a more expensive amp and more speakers.

Are you looking for designer speakers or is a normal square box ok?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
If I were your neighbor, I would greatly appreciate you getting a nice pair of wireless headphones.

smisk

I have a Yamaha RX V-479 receiver and Polk Tsi-100 bookshelf speakers. I love the setup, sounds way better than my computer speakers and I haven't had any neighbors complain. The receiver has Spotify and Bluetooth so it's easy to play stuff from your computer.

Syriel

Sorry for being confusing—that's NOT a shared wall, the opposite one is. I have my speakers there precisely because the wall isn't shared.

Edit: Double post fail :/

Step 1) Flip your setup. Put your speakers against the shared wall, so they are firing away from your neighbor's place, not toward her.

Step 2) Elevate your speakers, including the sub. If they're not on the ground, you'll get less transmission to neighboring units.

Step 3) Replace the PC system with a good set of three way stereo speakers.

I actually had alot of complaints from my old 2.1 computer speaker setup. But never any complaints about blasting my fulltower b&w speakers with dual 10" bass drivers, both placed in the same room.. I think the subwoofer will always make things sound alot worse for your neighbours.

Get the best bookshelf speakers you can get and start with a little dac/blutooth/amp like the SMSL AD18. Then you can always upgrade later with a more expensive amp and more speakers.

Are you looking for designer speakers or is a normal square box ok?

What Engell said.

I live in an apartment and have a stereo setup (two JBL three ways, each with a 12" woofer in them), being driven by an receiver.

The speakers are elevated to minimize transmission, but I'm certainly not missing out on sound. I don't get the bass kick that I would if I had a sub (or if I had them on the floor), but I still get enough low end out of them to make music and movies sound balanced.

That said, the speakers have plenty of headroom (normal listening volume is 30%, but I can crank it all the way w/o distortion if I really wanted) so when I move to a bigger place I can keep using them.

As a bonus, the receiver has a dynamic compression mode which is useful for night time watching. You wouldn't want to leave it on all the time, but it's a nice thing to have when watching action movies with lots of explosions if you don't want to piss off the neighbors.

Engell

Square box is fine.

I would actually advise you to buy some used speakers if this is possible for you.
find something of high quality and get it for half price. Make sure that you are able to inspect and listen to the speakers first.

Speakers can last for a long time i bought my B&Ws 12 years ago 2 x 604 s3 and later added 2 x 601 s3, both times i got them half price used (and they are not stolen). Not that i would recommend these today now they are to old. But just find something that was used for max 3 years. btw my speakers are still playing like champs after all this time.

Step 1) Flip your setup. Put your speakers against the shared wall, so they are firing away from your neighbor's place, not toward her.

Oh fuck, that makes perfect sense. I'm going to have to move all my furniture and re-setup/rewire all of my electronics. Thank you though. I don't know what I was thinking the first time around.

Elevate your speakers, including the sub. If they're not on the ground, you'll get less transmission to neighboring units.
Does it matter what I place them on? By which I mean, do I need to go buy those specialized "speaker stands"? Anything I need to look for?

As a bonus, the receiver has a dynamic compression mode which is useful for night time watching. You wouldn't want to leave it on all the time, but it's a nice thing to have when watching action movies with lots of explosions if you don't want to piss off the neighbors.

For my computer at least, I'm actually doing this already via software. I've actually been leaving it on too—it's a lot more comfortable IMO.

Question about moving this to the receiver (which would simplify things!)—if I change the volume on my computer, will the receiver try to normalize the volume? And, is this going to introduce any latency into the system? I play a lot of music games, so I'm always a bit nervous about adding anything to the chain that does additional processing.

Engell

Square box is fine.

just found this BTW.. a very nice set for a good price all new 300$.. buy buy buy

Wharfedale - Diamond 10.2 (Black)

gallery_4040.jpg

Thanks, I might go with these—started reading reviews and these seem to be getting consistent praise.

I still need a separate amplifier right? Is there anything specific I need to look for, other than making sure I have enough inputs?

They actually have powered versions if you want to go that route.

Powered AirMotiv

But yeah, for small setups just having enough inputs is a good start.

Syriel

Does it matter what I place them on? By which I mean, do I need to go buy those specialized "speaker stands"? Anything I need to look for?

Nope. Just need something to get them off the floor. I've got two metal utility racks from Costco (the kind you see in kitchens and workshops) in my living room, with the two speakers each laid on their side on top. Works great.

Question about moving this to the receiver (which would simplify things!)—if I change the volume on my computer, will the receiver try to normalize the volume? And, is this going to introduce any latency into the system? I play a lot of music games, so I'm always a bit nervous about adding anything to the chain that does additional processing.

You'd probably want to disable DNC while playing music games, but a good receiver shouldn't be introducing a whole lot of latency when in direct mode. It'll just decode the digital stream and play, no fancy processing needed. If in analog mode, it'll just pass the analog sound, but louder.

I'm really close to getting the Airmotiv 4S. The fact that they're made to be professionally accurate (presumably?) means they'll have less bass, and I like the fact I won't need to get a separate receiver.

One thing is holding me up though—most of the reviews list these as costing $300, but the current price is $400. Did the price go up? Will it go back down again? Do they still make sense at the higher price point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom