• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
TI on the remix of N***as in Paris is how you need to eat that beat..

overcast

Action Bronson & Statik Selektah - Well Done.
Raekwon- Shaolin vs Wu-Tang
Cunninlynguists- Oneirology
Beastie Boys- Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 2
Tyler, The Creator- Goblin
Evidence- Cats & Dogs

Black Milk & Danny Brown- Black & Brown

Albums that still need to come out that will be better:

The Roots- Undun
Common- The Dreamer, The Believer

Naw dude. I won't accept those ones. Somebody could definitely make a case for black and brown. Oneirology is #1

PBY

Banned
Since were soon gonna be all doing AOTY talk, anyone have their top SONGS of the year?

Me off the top of my head, im sure im missing a bunch:

10. Fresh New Trash (Doomtree)
9. Headlines (Drake)
8. Focused (Wale)
7. Hard White (Yela)
6. Bonfire (Childish Gambino)
5. I do (Jeezy & co)
4. Hiipower
3. Amen (Pusha T)
2. IMA
1. N*iggas in Paris

Honorable mentions: Y U Mad, Mr. Nice Watch, Sewer Gravy (Roc Marciano/Gangrene), Purple Swag (ASAP Rocky), Big Krit/Currency stuff, Big Sean I DO IT, Bronson/Statik shit...

Its pretty poppy now that I look at it, I guess those are the songs that stick with you... I did like a bunch of less pop-ish albums, even so much so that I'd consider them for my top ten, but some of them didn't have stand out single-ish tracks.

Blackace

SMH at most of those

Outside of the Roots, Evidence, and maybe the Beasties out of respect and memories I can't fuck wit it..

when it comes to Tyler the Creator I feel the need to hate... hate hate hate

HiResDes

Not feeling Peterb0y's list either...I feel like Toku and I will have similar lists, but we'll be the outliers for the most part.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TI on the remix of N***as in Paris is how you need to eat that beat..
Real talk.. T.I. has been killing EVERYTHING he's been featured on. Dude is hungry.

Since were soon gonna be all doing AOTY talk, anyone have their top SONGS of the year?

Me off the top of my head, im sure im missing a bunch:

10. Fresh New Trash (Doomtree)
9. Headlines (Drake)
8. Focused (Wale)
7. Hard White (Yela)
6. Bonfire (Childish Gambino)
5. I do (Jeezy & co)
4. Hiipower
3. Amen (Pusha T)
2. IMA
1. N*iggas in Paris

Honorable mentions: Y U Mad, Mr. Nice Watch, Sewer Gravy (Roc Marciano/Gangrene), Purple Swag (ASAP Rocky), Big Krit/Currency stuff, Big Sean I DO IT, Bronson/Statik shit...

Its pretty poppy now that I look at it, I guess those are the songs that stick with you... I did like a bunch of less pop-ish albums, even so much so that I'd consider them for my top ten, but some of them didn't have stand out single-ish tracks.
Stealth troll?

Recon

Banned
Evidence- Cats & Dogs

The Roots- Undun

Shaolin vs Wu was just ok

Beastie Boys....lol no.

Tyler...fuck no

Evidence. I liked Cats & Dogs, but it wasnt better.

Black Milk & Danny Brown...I really like Black Milk, i really do not think Danny is that great.

The Roots...probably, but you never know until the album is out

Common...Same as with the roots, you never know until it drops.

Oneirology is my AOTY. Section 80 is in my top 5.

PBY

Banned
Not feeling Peterb0y's list either...I feel like Toku and I will have similar lists, but we'll be the outliers for the most part.
Yeah, the second I finished typing it up I knew it wouldn't be popular here/I was missing some great stuff; Its just songs though, doesn't represent how my AOTY list is gonna look

Blackace

Real talk.. T.I. has been killing EVERYTHING he's been featured on. Dude is hungry.

Stealth troll?

true true!

But before you hate on Y U Mad.. I have to say Birdman's verse (and you can't say this about Birdman often) is fire..

kamspy

Top 10 Songs:

10.N*ggas in Paris
9.N*ggas in Paris
8.N*ggas in Paris
7.N*ggas in Paris
6.N*ggas in Paris
5.N*ggas in Paris
4.N*ggas in Paris
3.N*ggas in Paris
2.N*ggas in Paris
1.N*ggas in Paris

HiResDes

What's with the hate for the Beasties album?

It's okay. I'm really surprised at the Black and Brown love even as a Brown fanatic. It's best track was released about a year ago, it's super short, and in comparison to XXX it really just lacks any sort of cohesion whatsoever. It's just a smattering of two good artists without any sort of amalgamated solution.

Evidence- Cats & Dogs

The Roots- Undun

those are the only 2 album I've heard from that list and Goblin is a below average album, and Svs.Wu was 3.5/5 at best

I agree that Common has great chance to top Section .80, it's my most anticipated album this year, and the new Roots album should be great also

Interesting, I feel the exact way about Section80.

But someone liking Section80 over WTT seems pretty tangible to me. I like WTT (it's in running for my AOTY alongside Section80) but part of my disappointment was it wasn't the album I wanted, it was the watered down version. The watering down included the inclusion of N****s in Paris and Illest Motherfucker Alive, the song of the year, which is great and all, but I wanted to hear that WTT 1.0 stuff.

Illest Motherfcuker alive is just boring to listen too, Jay's entire verse was pathetic and Kanye's nursery rhyme chants couldn't save the track. It was weak hype track.

kamspy

It's okay. I'm really surprised at the Black and Brown love even as a Brown fanatic. It's best track was released about a year ago, it's super short, and in comparison to XXX it really just lacks any sort of cohesion whatsoever. It's just a smattering of two good artists without any sort of amalgamated solution.

I'm with this. Black and Brown is my least favorite Danny Brown release (that I have).

Acid08

Banned
those are the only 2 album I've heard from that list and Goblin is a below average album, and Svs.Wu was 3.5/5 at best

I agree that Common has great chance to top Section .80, it's my most anticipated album this year, and the new Roots album should be great also

You need to listen to Oneirology and Well Done.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, another album I thought was good at first, but now only the title track is one that's seeing spins. Length doesn't have to do with anything for me, but knowing the other, what, 9 songs or whatever old the album are not memorable sucks.

Illest Motherfcuker alive is just boring to listen too, Jay's entire verse was pathetic and Kanye's nursery rhyme chants couldn't save the track. It was weak hype track.
Kanye's verse on Illest Motherfucker Alive is verse of the year hands down. Other rappers need to step their nursery rhyme game up if that's the case.

Bulletproof condoms, when I'm in these hoes / Got staples on my dick, why? Fuckin' centrefolds.

Recon

Banned
AOTY list..so far:

1.Oneirology-Cunninlynguists
2.Section 80-Kendrick Lamar
3.Return of 4 Eva- Big KRITT
4.LP3020-Start Your Own Rebellion
5.:03 From Gold-The Illz
6. Together/Apart-Grieves
7.Elmatic-Elzhi
8.Zero Heroes-XV
9. No Kings-DoomTree
10.Castor,The Twin-Dessa

Honorable Mentions:
* W.A.R.-Pharoahe Monch
*Cole World-J.Cole
*Take Care-Drake
*Honkey Kong-Apathy
*The Pursuit EP/Ghost Lady-Cocaine 80s
*Camp-Childish Gambino

HiResDes

When did Recon and I start to see eye to eye? We're gonna have some albums in common for sure. If :03 From Gold was even ten tracks long of similar material it would easily best anything else for me released this year.

Bishman

Evidence- Cats & Dogs

The Roots- Undun

HAHAHA!

AOTY list..so far:

1.Oneirology-Cunninlynguists
2.Section 80-Kendrick Lamar
3.Return of 4 Eva- Big KRITT
4.LP3020-Start Your Own Rebellion
5.:03 From Gold-The Illz
6. Together/Apart-Grieves
7.Elmatic-Elzhi
8.Zero Heroes-XV
9. No Kings-DoomTree
10.Castor,The Twin-Dessa

Honorable Mentions:
* W.A.R.-Pharoahe Monch
*Cole World-J.Cole
*Take Care-Drake
*Honkey Kong-Apathy
*The Pursuit EP/Ghost Lady-Cocaine 80s
*Camp-Childish Gambino
No Cole World in your top 10, Recon?

kamspy

Watch the Throne
Section 80
Goblin
Bon Appetite Bitches!!!!
LiveLoveASAP
Book of David
Dr. Lectar
Return of 4eva
White Jesus
Well Done

overcast

I think I loved Black and Brown so much because it has the boom bap production, mixed with Brown's typical crazy/strange great lyrics. The short length benefits it. Zap, Wake Up, Jordan, and the title track are all fantastic.

We dropping AOTY lists?

Big K.R.I.T.- ReturnOf4Eva
Action Bronson- Dr. Lecter
Action Bronson & Statik Selektah- Well Done
Curren$y- Covert Coup
Bad Meets Evil- Hell: The Sequel
Pharoahe Monch- W.A.R.
Kendrick Lamar- Section 80
REKS- Rhythmatic Eternal King Supreme
Danny Brown - XXX
Danny Brown & Black Milk- Black & Brown
Rittz- White Jesus
DJ Quik- The Book Of David
Hasaan Mackey & Apollo Brown- Daily Bread
Killer Mike- Pl3dge
Schoolboy Q- Setbacks
Marq Spekt & Kno- MacheteVision
The Doppelgangaz- Lone Sharks
The Illz- :03 From Gold
ArtOfficial- Vitamins & Minerals

First year I've attempted to actually keep track of all the albums that clicked with me in one way or another since January instead of scrambling to remember them in December. I've shaved it to 20 so far. Now to make a top 10....

Recon

Banned
You thought Zero Heroes was better? Interesting.

My list is going to be really backpacky I think. Oh well. I'll post it when we make a thread, since I want to elaborate.

Yeah, i really did. I think the inclusion of a couple of old songs hurt Cole World for me. If he replaced Lights Please and Lost Ones with some new shit, i might of put it ahead.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What the fuck?

DMX, Jadakiss, Styles P, Sheek Louch, Swizz Beatz, Drag-On & Murda Mook – World’s Greatest

Random much, but I'm liking this. Hell, I even liked Drag-On's verse. DMX went in.

Apparently from this that was stealthly released a week ago:

Ruff-Ryders-Past-Present-Future-450x450.jpg

dat Swizzy troll face.

Recon

Banned
can't be any more backpacky than Yoda's. Only two of the people he listed actually have jobs in the music industry.

You should probably look at your list again, because if you are gonna play the backpack card, half of the releases on your list arent from anyone major.

overcast

Yeah, i really did. I think the inclusion of a couple of old songs hurt Cole World for me. If he replaced Lights Please and Lost Ones with some new shit, i might of put it ahead.
Hmm I see. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Zero Heroes, just caught me off guard.

Recon

Banned
Hmm I see. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Zero Heroes, just caught me off guard.

I dont love everything Cole puts out. I may come across as a Cole stan, but in reality i just think he has the ability to be something great, but Cole World was not as good as he could of done.

With that said, i need to check out Bronson. He is on so many lists but i have only heard him on that one wu track.

overcast

I dont love everything Cole puts out. I may come across as a Cole stan, but in reality i just think he has the ability to be something great, but Cole World was not as good as he could of done.
Definitely. I thought a few tracks off the AGS series were better fit for the album.

Acid08

Banned

With that said, i need to check out Bronson. He is on so many lists but i have only heard him on that one wu track.

Favorite song off of Bronson/Statik- Well Done. The whole album is nuts though. I picked out a "The Wire" reference in one of the songs, super cool.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
1. Krit - Return of 4eva
2. Hail Mary Mallon - Are You Gonna Eat That?
3. Grieves - Together/Apart
4. Apathy - Honkey Kong
5. Rittz - White Jesus
6. Belly - The Greatest Dream I Never Had
7. Dessa - Castor, The Twin
8. Mike Spitz - Prize Package
9. Cunninlynguists - Oneirology
10. This spot is reserved for your mama

Other candidates
ArtOfficial - Vitamins and Minerals
G-Eazy - Endless Summer
Jay Rock - Follow me Home
Kendrick Lamar - Section 80
Phonte - Charity Starts At Home
Atmosphere - The Family Sign
E-40 - Graveyard/Overtime Shifts
DJ Quik - Book of David
XV - Zero Heroes

I might stick some Action Bronson on the list, I just haven't gotten around to listening to bon apetite or well done yet.

Bishman

Cunninlynguists - Oneirology
Jay-Z / Kanye West - Watch the Throne
J. Cole - Cold World: The Sideline Story
Kendrick Lamar - Section. 80
Stalley - Intelligent Trunk Music
Big K.R.I.T.- ReturnOf4Eva
Drake - Take Care
Rittz - White Jesus
Bad Meets Evil - Hell: The Sequel
Apathy - Honkey Kong

Other candidates:

The Weeknd - House of Balloons
Dela - Translation Lost
Evidence - Cats & Dogs
Thurz L.A. - Riot
MarQ Spekt & Kno - MacheteVision
Yelawolf - Radioactive

I still need to listen to Dessa - Castor, The Twin. Her last album was in my top 3 last year. And my list is not in any specific order.

My top 5 is pretty much set. The rest of the 5 is still up for grabs.

Macca

Throw it up is by far my favourite song of the year. But Radioactive just won't get my AOTY vote due to the middle section...

At this stage, it's going to be between R4 and White Jesus. Both of those, while having some filler, felt a lot more cohesive than Radioactive which at times felt like a mishmash of styles.

overcast

Haven't even listened to Hell the sequel.

I think Bangarang is one of my favorite tracks of the year. "Doomtree bangarang, all these rappers sound the same".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom