• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG Kush

I see no issues with this.

well when I pay my hard earned cash for a concert I don't want to hear to the same fuckin song 7 times in a row. if they did that to me I would be mad pissed. Give me some other classic kanye or jay songs... Its kind of disgusting that they're doing this.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
1) E-40 Overtime shifts
2) Big KRIT R4 the prequel
3) Maybach Music Group Self Made Vol 1
4) Ace Hood Blood Sweat and Tears
5) Em and Royce Bad Meets Evil
6) Big Sean Finally Famous
7) Saigon Greatest Story Ever Told
8) Glasses Malone Beach Crusier
9) Jay Z and Ye WTT
10) DJ Khaled and Friends We The Best Forever

RJT

Elmatic, Section80 and Oneirology are definitely on my list. J. Cole maybe, Phonte maybe, WTT mayber, and I'm sure The Roots and Common will be there.

Last year was amazing, compared to this one...

I don't post very often, but I wanted to give my two cents on my favorite albums this year. GAF-Hop definitely has the best members.

1. CAMP - Childish Gambino
2. Cunninlynguists- Oneirology
3. Big K.R.I.T.- ReturnOf4Eva
4. Kanye x Jay-Z - Watch the Throne
5. Curren$y - Covert Coup
6. Kendrick Lamar - Section.80
7. The ILLZ - :03 From Gold
8. The Jet Age of Tomorrow - Voyager
9. A$AP Rocky - LIVELOVEA$AP
10. Tech N9ne - All 6s and 7s

PBY

Banned
I don't post very often, but I wanted to give my two cents on my favorite albums this year. GAF-Hop definitely has the best members.

1. CAMP - Childish Gambino
2. Cunninlynguists- Oneirology
3. Big K.R.I.T.- ReturnOf4Eva
4. Kanye x Jay-Z - Watch the Throne
5. Curren$y - Covert Coup
6. Kendrick Lamar - Section.80
7. The ILLZ - :03 From Gold
8. The Jet Age of Tomorrow - Voyager
9. A$AP Rocky - LIVELOVEA$AP
10. Tech N9ne - All 6s and 7s

High five! Good list dude

I can not fucking believe Lil wayne. Jesus god damn Christ his popularity just doesnt make sense to me. I have recently learned that my 8 year old cousin's favorite rapper is lil wayne. This, combined with the constant reminder that tha carter 4 came out this year, through my university, is making me sick.

Edit: Also, I wanted to say illest MF alive is a fucking great song. Anyone who disagrees, you're wrong!

joelseph

intro
marc decoca ft stuey rock - booty
rick ross ft nicki minaj - you a boss
waka flocka flame - round of applause
tight x future x juney boomdata - splack session
nina b blanka ft bambi - hollup
money jay - blowing
stuey rock ft future - shinin
mindless behaviour - hook it up
soulja boy - girl go in
rocko ft plies - goin steady remix
future - ain’t no way around it + young jeezy verse from the remix
drake ft nicki minaj - make me proud
tko capone ft riff raff - 30 minutes later
travis porter ft kelly rowland - slow motion
lil man 4m duval - voicemail
tory lanez - high notes
lady - kickin’ it
ace hood ft chris brown, dj khaled, rick ross & wale - body 2 body remix
the rangers - sleeping beauty
kid ink - tuna roll

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
1) E-40 Overtime shifts
2) Big KRIT R4 the prequel
3) Maybach Music Group Self Made Vol 1
4) Ace Hood Blood Sweat and Tears
5) Em and Royce Bad Meets Evil
6) Big Sean Finally Famous
7) Saigon Greatest Story Ever Told
8) Glasses Malone Beach Crusier
9) Jay Z and Ye WTT
10) DJ Khaled and Friends We The Best Forever

This man knows what's up. Beach Cruiser is still on my list of shit to listen to. Really low, but it's on my list. Gotta give the west a chance, only reason why I gave Tyler and Black Hippy a chance in the first place.

Also, if I could, I would make The Low End Theory my album of the year. Listened to it for the first time (first Tribe album I listened to ever) and it blew my mind. The only word I can think of to describe it is sublime. So fucking smooth, I haven't heard flow like this in forever, that never stops throughout the entire album. Its cohesive, there's not a bad song on there and I'm surprised I even enjoyed it really; I have difficulty going back to listening to old stuff that people herald with their rose tinted glasses on. Without those glasses or fond memories, it's difficult to judge if something stands the test of time or not and I certainly think it has aged well. Favourite cuts being Excursions, Buggin Out, Check the Rhime, and Verses from the Abstract. I like it better than Illmatic too. Looking forward to listening to Midnight Marauders next, after I finish listening to some Q4 albums.

One thing that did catch me off guard though is the proportion of the work/credit Tip to everyone else in the group. The bulk of the rapping and producing is Tip. I don't know, I just thought there would've been a bit more of an equal distribution going in but that wasn't the case. Not that there's anything wrong with that, cause I love Tip.

Might as well throw this in here too while I'm at it: I just finished listening to Radioactive. I wanna give Yelawolf the benefit of the doubt here but.. it's mediocre. The sound is kinda the direction Yela was heading anyways, so I'm not as surprised as some of you here were, but there's far too many forgettable songs on here for me to say it's decent, and the highs aren't even that high enough to save it like Section80. Best songs IMO are Let's Roll, Throw It Up, Animal, Write Your Name (the best) and Everything I Love The Most. Everything else is just average to bad. Disappointing overall, and it sounds like it's missing that critical second opinion, where Em walks in and asks, WTF IS THIS SHIT? A case of either too much creative freedom, or too much A&R involvement, which scares me because these two ends of the scale are exactly what could make the Slaughterhouse album dogshit. Now all we can do is wait for the numbers to come out and to see if there still is potential for growth with Yeller.

HiResDes

Man so many great albums I'm not seeing on people's lists, like I could 50 albums that I thought were worthy of AOTY discussion and 40 of them can't be found on anyone else's list. Also, Before I Awoke is great, not top ten, but most definitely worthy of a listen.

joelseph

Man so many great albums I'm not seeing on people's list, like I could 50 albums that I thought were worth AOTY discussion and 40 of them can't be found on anyone else's list. Also, Before I Awoke is great, not top ten, but most definitely worthy of a listen.

Dude this is gaf hop hive mind. They stick to the straight and narrow. Nothing wrong with it, just not going to find anything that is pushing the boundaries here.

Recon

Banned
Dude this is gaf hop hive mind. They stick to the straight and narrow. Nothing wrong with it, just not going to find anything that is pushing the boundaries here.

Or, you know, some of us listened but didnt think they were worthy. But yeah, hive minds and what not.

Macca

Might as well throw this in here too while I'm at it: I just finished listening to Radioactive. I wanna give Yelawolf the benefit of the doubt here but.. it's mediocre. The sound is kinda the direction Yela was heading anyways, so I'm not as surprised as some of you here were, but there's far too many forgettable songs on here for me to say it's decent, and the highs aren't even that high enough to save it like Section80. Best songs IMO are Let's Roll, Throw It Up, Animal, Write Your Name (the best) and Everything I Love The Most. Everything else is just average to bad. Disappointing overall, and it sounds like it's missing that critical second opinion, where Em walks in and asks, WTF IS THIS SHIT? A case of either too much creative freedom, or too much A&R involvement, which scares me because these two ends of the scale are exactly what could make the Slaughterhouse album dogshit. Now all we can do is wait for the numbers to come out and to see if there still is potential for growth with Yeller.
Give it a couple more listens. It's definitely a grower.

To the bolded, it seems like he did that, and we got this. =/ He himself said on a skit they need more songs for the girls. And that's the weakest part of the album.

I'm not imagining the numbers being huge though. It seemed to have really split his fanbase, so who knows what it'll sell. Maybe the girls will save it. I doubt it, no with no radio play however.

Jay Sosa

Man so many great albums I'm not seeing on people's lists, like I could 50 albums that I thought were worthy of AOTY discussion and 40 of them can't be found on anyone else's list. Also, Before I Awoke is great, not top ten, but most definitely worthy of a listen.

then list the best of those 40 if you would be so nice.

Or, you know, some of us listened but didnt think they were worthy. But yeah, hive minds and what not.

then how in the world did WTT make it on so many peoples lists?

Maron

Finally!!! after hearing the trash that was the new Lupe mixtape my ears need to be cleansed

Aw, really? I loved WWJD He'd Probably LOL Like WTF!!!, though to be honest I haven't listened to the other tracks yet since I just found out about the mixtape.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Really? GAF-Hop hivemind is the opposite; "everyone else is far too narrow minded because they like successful artists! Stop liking successful artists goddamnit, they've sold out, its not hip to listen to them anymore because their so mainstream, etc. Here's a link without a description of what it is, trust me it's better than everything else out there. *insert niche artist link here*."

It's quite apparent really.

Recon

Banned
then list the best of those 40 if you would be so nice.

then how in the world did WTT make it on so many peoples lists?

Really? It made on about half the lists. Not everyone is into Indie/underground. I find WTT is about as good as dog shit, but others like stupid castle music. The fact is, some of us will put indie artists on our top10, others will not. Nothing to get pissy about.

Really? GAF-Hop hivemind is the opposite; "everyone else is far too narrow minded because they like successful artists! Stop liking successful artists goddamnit, they've sold out, its not hip to listen to them anymore because their so mainstream, etc. Here's a link without a description of what it is, trust me it's better than everything else out there. *insert niche artist link here*."

This. I bitched about that awhile ago, putting a picture up and saying it is the shit doesnt make me want to listen. So much music gets released, i try to sample as much as i can, but sometimes things slip through the cracks. Like Action Bronson/Shabazz, etc.

joelseph

Context friend. I was responding to why all the lists will be the same.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Context friend. I was responding to why all the lists will be the same.
Yeah the lists may be similar, but look at the proportion of mainstream artists on there. Sure some are in that middleground everyone accepts as new and fresh (KRIT, etc. I don't consider them indie since they're pretty out there, but I don't consider them mainstream either like you hear them on the radio) but it's pretty prevailing as soon as you do mention a mainstream artist, you get the same string of predictable replies.

Much like Recon, I like to digest my music and spend time listening to it with the little time I do get, and posting an album art or link with no description or anything isn't convincing me. It's not even a rule that I don't check that shit out, I just don't bother. peterb0y is one of the few who actually says a thing or two about whatever he contributes so I appreciate that, it's also why I miss HRDs monthly mixtape roundups.

Macca

I don't see why some people have a problem with mainstream artists making Top 10 lists. To me most mainstream music is accessible, easy to listen to and not hard to digest.

That's not saying hip hop that is hard to digest is bad. I just personally do not have the time to spin these albums enough to gain appreciation for them. So I just go with what sounds good to me on the first couple listens.

Trust me, I know I'm missing out. I couldn't get into Illmatic at all when I first listened to it. But stuck with it because of it's pedigree and grew to love it.

I guess what can I say. I have bad taste, I like mainstream music, I never go out of my comfort zone, I do it.

joelseph

My 2011 top whatever

Shadowrunners - Revenge of the 808
Antwon - Fantasy Beds
Jonwayne - The Wayniac / I don't Care
A$AP Rocky - LIVELOVEA$AP
Himself the Majestic - Mexicans Can't Rap
Maal A Goomba - The Diana Frances Goomba Wave
Tidus - Absolute Elsewhere
Main Attrakionz - 808s & Dark Grapes II

I don't see why some people have a problem with mainstream artists making Top 10 lists. To me most mainstream music is accessible, easy to listen to and not hard to digest.

That's not saying hip hop that is hard to digest is bad. I just personally do not have the time to spin these albums enough to gain appreciation for them. So I just go with what sounds good to me on the first couple listens.

Trust me, I know I'm missing out. I couldn't get into Illmatic at all when I first listened to it. But stuck with it because of it's pedigree and grew to love it.

I guess what can I say. I have bad taste, I like mainstream music, I never go out of my comfort zone, I do it.

There's nothing wrong with it. People mainly look down on it because:

- There's so much other acts out there that don't get as much recognition.

- Just for the fact they are mainstream.

The second reason is foolish, imo.

coldvein

Banned
not gonna throw a full top ten down right now, but the top spot will either be black up or bad time zoo. incredible albums that've got a shitload of spins from me this year..

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Fuck this year has been me trying to keep up or catch up. Finaly got around to listening to delta 3030. Great album, not fan of the skits, favorite song off the album would be 3030. Now I am gonna give cold vain spin.

Jay Sosa

Who was the guy who said 80 was the best album he heard in 5 years.

That would be me :D

I also have I'm gay in my top 10.

Oh and I said it's ONE of the best albums in the last 5 years not THE best.

Is to "Drake for me" on the production tip

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Most of the album is prduced by the same people he worked with since day one and most tracks sound no differnt than anything on KL EP and OD.

The only track that I can see Drake rapping on is ADHD...

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
That would be me :D

I also have I'm gay in my top 10.

Oh and I said it's ONE of the best albums in the last 5 years not THE best.

I'm Gay sounds like lounge music but made worse by Lil B....

OG Kush

Main Attrakionz - 808s & Dark Grapes II

I know I shouldn't have issues with what people get enjoyment out of, but these 2 guys sound like a retarded person when they spit.

This man knows what's up. Beach Cruiser is still on my list of shit to listen to. Really low, but it's on my list. Gotta give the west a chance, only reason why I gave Tyler and Black Hippy a chance in the first place.

Also, if I could, I would make The Low End Theory my album of the year. Listened to it for the first time (first Tribe album I listened to ever) and it blew my mind. The only word I can think of to describe it is sublime. So fucking smooth, I haven't heard flow like this in forever, that never stops throughout the entire album. Its cohesive, there's not a bad song on there and I'm surprised I even enjoyed it really; I have difficulty going back to listening to old stuff that people herald with their rose tinted glasses on. Without those glasses or fond memories, it's difficult to judge if something stands the test of time or not and I certainly think it has aged well. Favourite cuts being Excursions, Buggin Out, Check the Rhime, and Verses from the Abstract. I like it better than Illmatic too. Looking forward to listening to Midnight Marauders next, after I finish listening to some Q4 albums.

One thing that did catch me off guard though is the proportion of the work/credit Tip to everyone else in the group. The bulk of the rapping and producing is Tip. I don't know, I just thought there would've been a bit more of an equal distribution going in but that wasn't the case. Not that there's anything wrong with that, cause I love Tip.

You should check out the Tribe documentary. Tip explains why he didn't take much credit and it always says produced by ATCQ and not Q-tip. Really good documentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom