• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

Even the beat on Throw it Up is too clean, or something. Something is off. It's not as grimey as it should be. It's like it went through the Shady Inc. Mastering Machine before it got sent of to the printer.

That's the kind of beat that needs to sound like it was recorded in a ghetto basement on a 4 track. Like all of Three 6 Mafia Chapter. 2

Oh, and Growin' Up In The Gutter. Love the way the beat comes in. Lyrical content is not something I did. Sounds like Atmosphere wrote it. The hook is pretty awful too.

Macca

Yeah when I listen to it, up until about throw it up it feels like a Yela album, then it turns into a eminem/shady records album, and then Yela comes in and tries some of his older sound (a lot of it sounds like his Stereo album) at the very end.
I actually like most of the songs, I enjoy the album as a whole. But I had to get used to the smell of shady all over the middle before I could enjoy it.
I said it before, but the album just doesn't feel cohesive. It tries to jump between different styles, but just falls flat on it's face. It's jarring.

That's the biggest complaint I had. It's hard for me to listen to the album all the way through, because it's different music for different moods. If I'm in the mood for some bangers, and suddenly Good Girl starts playing followed by Made in the USA then that mood is gone.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Even the beat on Throw it Up is too clean, or something. Something is off. It's not as grimey as it should be. It's like it went through the Shady Inc. Mastering Machine before it got sent of to the printer.

That's the kind of beat that needs to sound like it was recorded in a ghetto basement on a 4 track. Like all of Three 6 Mafia Chapter. 2

Well my major issue with the whole album is the lack of bass. When I heard gangster of love I immediately got nervous because it was so wimpy in the bass department but hard white gave me some hope back. But in the end, shit just doesn't bang the way I hoped. But again, once I readjusted I learned to appreciate it in a different way. My pessimistic conspiracy theory side says the album got delayed because various folk at shady records sat down and said "there isn't enough shit on here to appeal to the radio and the women." And Yela just wanted to play ball and figured fuck it, if I have to do it, i'll do it in my way. And although a lot a ya'll don't agree, I think he managed to give those radio/for the 15 year old white girls songs a bit more character than usual.

siddx

I said it before, but the album just doesn't feel cohesive. It tries to jump between different styles, but just falls flat on it's face. It's jarring.

That's the biggest complaint I had. It's hard for me to listen to the album all the way through, because it's different music for different moods. If I'm in the mood for some bangers, and suddenly Good Girl starts playing followed by Made in the USA then that mood is gone.

Made in the USA is the biggest issue for me. Completely kills the mood of the album. It's a em reject song and the more I hear it the more I hate it. If they removed that and Write Your Name, the "for the radio" section would be the right length to not be jarring to me.

And lol at kam not liking growing up in the gutter's lyrics. As soon as I heard the lyrics I knew you'd be on your "only dudes who sell drugs in the hood struggle!" kick about it.

Recon

Banned
Well my major issue with the whole album is the lack of bass. When I heard gangster of love I immediately got nervous because it was so wimpy in the bass department but hard white gave me some hope back. But in the end, shit just doesn't bang the way I hoped. But again, once I readjusted I learned to appreciate it in a different way. My pessimistic conspiracy theory side says the album got delayed because various folk at shady records sat down and said "there isn't enough shit on here to appeal to the radio and the women." And Yela just wanted to play ball and figured fuck it, if I have to do it, i'll do it in my way. And although a lot a ya'll don't agree, I think he managed to give those radio/for the 15 year old white girls songs a bit more character than usual.

I really liked his radio singles/white girl songs a lot. It was better than what others do. My problem, like others stated, is the album doesnt have an identity. It wants to have bangers, radio singles, and introspective songs, but nothing is cohesive at all. It is like they took 3 different Yela albums and mashed them together.

Also, Radioactive was projected to do around 40-50K...lol. I still think it is funny Kamps thought this would beat Cole World.

kamspy

Made in the USA is the biggest issue for me. Completely kills the mood of the album. It's a em reject song and the more I hear it the more I hate it. If they removed that and Write Your Name, the "for the radio" section would be the right length to not be jarring to me.

And lol at kam not liking growing up in the gutter's lyrics. As soon as I heard the lyrics I knew you'd be on your "only dudes who sell drugs in the hood struggle!" kick about it.

It's not that I don't think the situation described deserves compassion. It's just not what I want to hear about when I listen to music.

*cue various depressing atmosphere song topics*

It's just not my thing. I want That's What We On Now and Box Chevy.

lol. I still think it is funny Kamps thought this would beat Cole World.

The Yela album I envisioned would have smashed Cole World so hard J. would stop shaving that part in the middle and just go full uni.

siddx

I really liked his radio singles/white girl songs a lot. It was better than what others do. My problem, like others stated, is the album doesnt have an identity. It wants to have bangers, radio singles, and introspective songs, but nothing is cohesive at all. It is like they took 3 different Yela albums and mashed them together.

True. I don't mind, and in fact prefer, varied content and styles on my albums. But when presented in blocks like they did on radioactive, it does come across wrong. A little more time choosing the order of the tracks would have helped.

This is my list:

1. Elmatic - Elzhi
2. W.A.R. - Pharoahe Monch
3. Random Axe - Random Axe
4. Oneirology - CunninLynguists
5. Cats & Dogs - Evidence
6. Dr. Lecter - Action Bronson
7. Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang - Raekwon
8. Crickets - Moka Only & Chief
9. Watch the Throne - Jay-Z & Kanye West
10. Riches, Royalty, Respect - Kool G Rap

Didn’t like

Gutter Rainbows - Talib Kweli
Slaughterhouse EP - Slaughterhouse
Free Agent - Joell Ortiz
Lasers - Lupe Fiasco

Still have to listen to

Return of 4Eva - Big K.R.I.T.
R.E.K.S. - Reks
Atmosphere - The Family Sign
Lord Giveth, Lord Taketh Away - Freddie Gibbs & Statik Selektah
Section80 - Kendrick Lamar
Honkey Kong - Apathy

There's also some stuff I listened to but didn't make my top 10 like Phonte, Apollo Brown, Oddissee and the Black Milk/Danny Brown thing. WTT and RRR will most likely be pushed out the Top 10 by Common and the Roots.

Macca

Also, Radioactive was projected to do around 40-50K...lol. I still think it is funny Kamps thought this would beat Cole World.
Wow. To be honest, I'm not surprised. The singles, while great songs, were weak choices. The marketing was left far too late and didn't build upon the things he had going for him, his mixtapes or Eminem. When he should've been promoting his album he was touring. I dunno. I just never expected that from something like Shady Records.

True. I don't mind, and in fact prefer, varied content and styles on my albums. But when presented in blocks like they did on radioactive, it does come across wrong. A little more time choosing the order of the tracks would have helped.
I think B.o.B nailed this. The Adventures of Bobby Ray had quite a few different styles of track, but they flowed together pretty damn well.

Recon

Banned
Wow. To be honest, I'm not surprised. The singles, while great songs, were weak choices. The marketing was left far too late and didn't build upon the things he had going for him, his mixtapes or Eminem. When he should've been promoting his album he was touring. I dunno. I just never expected that from something like Shady Records.

What it needed was a catchy single with a Eminem feature, with Rihanna or that one white girl that is on every other rap single.

siddx

It's not that I don't think the situation described deserves compassion. It's just not what I want to hear about when I listen to music.

*cue various depressing atmosphere song topics*

It's just not my thing. I want That's What We On Now and Box Chevy.

The Yela album I envisioned would have smashed Cole World so hard J. would stop shaving that part in the middle and just go full uni.

You want escapist music. You like the musical version of a Blockbuster action film with explosions and titties. I get that, I like that too. But sometimes I also want something thats going to make me think. Something thats going to make me go "well fuck thats exactly how I feel about such and such."
And on another note, Atmosphere does plenty of non serious songs, they just have a (deserved) rep for mostly making songs with serious topics.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Juicy J joining Taylor Gang and making a compilation album.
juicy-j-wiz-khalifa.jpg

Juicy J is going to shit on Taylor Gang all album..

Recon

Banned
That BOB tape is pretty damn good. I think Strange Clouds is the best song Wayne has been on this year, maybe his best verse(admittedly that isnt saying much).

Macca

What it needed was a catchy single with a Eminem feature, with Rihanna or that one white girl that is on every other rap single.
Yea. I have no fucking clue why they didn't. I'm guessing it was just because they didn't want to spend the cash for someone like Rihanna? There are about 3 tracks she would've been perfect on on Radioactive.

And the lack of a substantial Eminem verse baffles me. The verse he put in for a damn bonus track, essentially a remix of that BoB song was better.

How the fuck did B.o.B get a track with Em on his mixtape, yet Yela only managed to get 1 with him on his debut album under the guy.

This tracklist looks fucking hot though.

EDIT: Seems like that track is old as fuck. How did I miss it :S

About a year ago some guy paid a bunch of money to get some Em leaks, and he put them out on the net over a 4-5 month period. I Need A Doctor was the first one, and this BoB track was one of them. Was probably recorded when they hooked up to do Airplanes Pt 2.

BTW those leaks are what Royce and Em were talking about on Take From Me, which was also leaked as a snippet way back then too. :lol

PBY

Banned
I think B.o.B nailed this. The Adventures of Bobby Ray had quite a few different styles of track, but they flowed together pretty damn well.

That album got like zero play from me after like the first week it came out, I found it way too poppy. BOB can craft a fucking single though, he owned the radio, and his sales benefited from that.

Hes also pretty marketable, I mean he had this adidas commercial a while back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqkHfsqNjro

And this new one that just came out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA_ZlLIOEq0

Bishman

I told you guys way back that Jay-Z had the blueprint for J. Cole. Smarten up GAF-Hop. KRIT is going to flop.

DominoKid

2 Chainz only has like 2 flows, but he ripped his spot on the BOB mixtape.

not a bad mixtape overall. maybe he wont make a sellout album this time around.

Recon

Banned
I wonder when BoB's next studio album will come out? He has put out 3 mixtapes since it came out.

Edit: I see it it Strange Clouds in March.

siddx

2 Chainz only has like 2 flows, but he ripped his spot on the BOB mixtape.

not a bad mixtape overall. maybe he wont make a sellout album this time around.

He got rich off that sellout album, I guarantee it will be just as poppy, if not more so.

Recon

Banned
He got rich off that sellout album, I guarantee it will be just as poppy, if not more so.

What is funny, is that Adventures of Bobby Ray is about as poppy as anything else he has done. Shit, the second half of BoB vs Bobby Ray was nothing but pop shit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I told you guys way back that Jay-Z had the blueprint for J. Cole. Smarten up GAF-Hop. KRIT is going to flop.
KRIT won't flop if he can singlehandedly put the entire south on his back, have a chart topping single, and have everyone wanting him on their shit like Drake.

So yeah more likely than not he's gonna flop. Yelawolf has always been at a hundred times worse of a situation, and he's destined to flop, based on his image alone. I'm sure Yelawolf stand won't be complaining when he goes independent and starts releasing what they want to hear.

Come to think of it, that SPIN image putting Yelawolf as the next big thing and J. Cole as having his moment must've mixed things up. Although Cole definitely isn't in the clear either, he's definitely best off and it has very little to do with the Jay cosign.

If we've learned anything, doesn't matter how many cosigns you have of what magnitude, building that fanbase and delivering a quality controlled stream of music is what's most important. People figured about the Wayne affiliation after Best I Ever Had was everywhere.

Macca

Cole was always going to be more marketable than Yela straight off the bat. They needed to carve a niche for him and they just didn't do that at all.

TheOddOne

KRIT made two amazing mixtapes/albums on his own, with his own production to boot. We can expect a steller album from the guy, but a real chart-topping sell trough album? I have my doubts about it.

Macca

KRIT won't flop if he can singlehandedly put the entire south on his back, have a chart topping single, and have everyone wanting him on their shit like Drake.

So yeah more likely than not he's gonna flop. Yelawolf has always been at a hundred times worse of a situation, and he's destined to flop, based on his image alone. I'm sure Yelawolf stand won't be complaining when he goes independent and starts releasing what they want to hear.

Come to think of it, that SPIN image putting Yelawolf as the next big thing and J. Cole as having his moment must've mixed things up. Although Cole definitely isn't in the clear either, he's definitely best off and it has very little to do with the Jay cosign.

If we've learned anything, doesn't matter how many cosigns you have of what magnitude, building that fanbase and delivering a quality controlled stream of music is what's most important. People figured about the Wayne affiliation after Best I Ever Had was everywhere.
If one of Yela's songs can make it on the radio, he's got a good shot at staying signed. It doesn't even need to be Top 10, but just getting play. There are songs on the album that can do that and Let's Roll definitely has potential. I think Radio definitely does too.

I mean, let's be honest here, Slaughterhouse isn't going to do massive numbers either.

What is funny, is that Adventures of Bobby Ray is about as poppy as anything else he has done. Shit, the second half of BoB vs Bobby Ray was nothing but pop shit.
I swear the next time I see someone says "B.o.B sold out."

It's like they don't listen to his music.

Will be downloading the mixtape. Glad to see people like it.

I have the following queued up:

Tyler - Goblin
Phonte - Charity Starts at home
XV Zero Heroes
Maybach Music - Self Made
Grieves - Together Apart
Elzhi - Elmatic
Doomtree - No Kings
Dess- Castor, The Twin
Apathy - Honkey Kong

Let's see if my top ten changes any.

Tyler - Goblin
XV Zero Heroes
Grieves - Together Apart
Elzhi - Elmatic
Doomtree - No Kings
Dess- Castor, The Twin

Apathy - Honkey Kong

Fuck, completely forgot about those two.

Recon

Banned
I swear the next time I see someone says "B.o.B sold out."

It's like they don't listen to his music.

Will be downloading the mixtape. Glad to see people like it.

Yeah, it really is pretty good. It has a good mix of features and BoB rips it on a few tracks, good shit.

Tyler - Goblin
XV Zero Heroes
Grieves - Together Apart
Elzhi - Elmatic
Doomtree - No Kings
Dess- Castor, The Twin
Apathy - Honkey Kong

Thats eerily similar to my top10. Minus Tyler and Mayback, and it would be almost the same(I didnt put Phonte on my list, but it is only because i havnt given it a proper listen).

Jay Sosa

rofl i wrote that exact same shit yesterday in response to that laughable graph someone posted, but then deleted it.

thats the entire concept behind his bobby ray persona. b.o.b is his rapping alter ego and ray his smooth alternative side.

JackEtc

I don't think I'll be doing a top ten, as I don't think I've listened to enough albums from 2011 to have a good list compared to you all's. I've mostly just been discovering a lot of classics courtesy of you guys (Madvillainy, OB4CL, Liquid Swords, etc).

That said, I'm listening through No Kings right now, it's great.

Bishman

A lot of people listened to J. Cole because of Jay-Z. I am one of them. I heard him on A Star is Born and instantly became a fan. The same thing applies to Yelawolf. People that like Eminem will give Yelawolf a chance. But with KRIT with no cosign or good marketing from Def Jam, it isn't look good for him.

Slizz

A lot of people listened to J. Cole because of Jay-Z. I am one of them. I heard him on A Star is Born and instantly became a fan. The same thing applies to Yelawolf. People that like Eminem will give Yelawolf a chance. But with KRIT with no cosign or good marketing from Def Jam, it isn't look good for him.

KRIT has a feature with basically every popular artist out right now.... Plenty of cosigns....

Country Shit remix is a popular song at least in Miami

B.O.B new mixtape is the shit. A few old ass songs in here tho....The Em song leaked without Em;s consent and New York New york was for crisis2. but they are still good songs.

This is how you do it. Hard ass mixtapes and pop stuff to sell records. Genius. That way he technically doesn't lose his fanbase. Although IMO he was always doing the pop shit too. Dude plays the gutar and shit.

I might be the only B.o.B stan in here (and the world).

No genre or this might be in my top 10..if No Genre came out this year of course.

OG Kush

Anyone know WTF happened to XV and Donnis? It seems they had so much hype about a year ago but they never capitalized on it. They're both signed to major lables right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom