• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know WTF happened to XV and Donnis? It seems they had so much hype about a year ago but they never capitalized on it. They're both signed to major lables right?

Donnis is generic as fuck. But XV is just starting get nation play with 2k12 and that Verizon commercial.

But neither of them are big time. I think XV is really good tho. The constant Zero Hero mentions make me remember how good that tape is.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
T.I. is his most important and meaningful cosign at the moment.

Let that resonate for a second. T.I. is currently trying to get his own shit together.

How do you figure.. He has done stuff with like almost every major artist from the south..

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I told you guys way back that Jay-Z had the blueprint for J. Cole. Smarten up GAF-Hop. KRIT is going to flop.

no
at least i really hope not. i ve liked everything krit has done so far so i doubt he will he will fuck up. even if he does drop, i am sure he'll get back.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The entire south has co-signed him.. Also when it is time David Banner will wave the KRIT flag like no other.

Banner already cosigned KRIT, doesn't he mention that in Viktorious?

Anyways, most South cosigns don't mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things of making him a breakout success, especially the ones KRIT got outside of Tip. Even still Tip is a shaky one.

DominoKid

How do you figure.. He has done stuff with like almost every major artist from the south..

he doesnt have that iconic cosign. somebody who's coattails he can ride to success.

wayne -> drake
em -> yela
hov -> cole

even big sean has kanye behind him.
krit is rolling dolo currently.

get the fuck out.

i am just kidding ahahahaha

also thoughts on that new B.O.B mixtape.

high - really diggin this song.
5 on the kush - Dat prod
wrong - way to "pop-py" for me

...more to come

Well sorry but I haven't really had the time to listen to much stuff this time. Mostly digging through some instrumentals, practicing my game to land a feature on the next Bronson.

I liked the SH album but the EP is weak, sue me

Slizz

KRIT's got the Bun B cosign obviously... That's pretty big and like previously stated he's on every south artists songs, from stoner rap Curren$y to Luda, to B.o.B. He's touched all fan bases pretty much with at least one fire verse or production.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
KRIT's got the Bun B cosign obviously... That's pretty big and like previously stated he's on every south artists songs, from stoner rap Curren$y to Luda, to B.o.B. He's touched all fan bases pretty much with at least one fire verse or production.

KRIT has bun b.

-cough- -cough-

Well sorry but I haven't really had the time to listen to much stuff this time.

I liked the SH album but the EP is weak, sue me

its cool i am just kidding around. i know how it is.
ill see you in court

he doesnt have that iconic cosign. somebody who's coattails he can ride to success.

wayne -> drake
em -> yela
hov -> cole

Well considering none of those artists really needed or were heavy on success due to being associated with those bigger names, I doubt it really matters.

Bishman

wayne -> drake
em -> yela
hov -> cole

I cosign this. KRIT will flop guys. We all love him but Def Jam is promoting him terrible.

Rating them with YouTube views:

J. Cole: Work Out = 16.9 millions views
Yelawolf: Pop Trunk = 7.6 million views
Big KRIT: Country Shit = 5.4 million views

And the reason Drake did 700k first week

Drake: Rihanna - What's My Name? ft. Drake = 219,727,981 million views
Drake: Find your love = 47 million views

Not looking good for KRIT. :/

Blackace

wayne -> drake
em -> yela
hov -> cole

really KRIT is doing it like most of the successful southern artist.. Luda, Outkast, Banner, Eightball and MJG, UGK..

Yela is flopping and so has every artist but 50 (who was blessed by Dre) has flopped because of Em

Wayne whored Drake out and caught success

Hov delayed and messed with Cole for quite a bit.. I don't think you can say his co-signing did a lot..

In fact getting brought out by another great artist usually doesn't bode very well.. Ask the Outlawz, jr Mafia, AZ, Lynch Mob, DTP, the list of people who had a huge co-sign and flopped badly is a long lonely one..

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
B.O.B new mixtape is the shit. A few old ass songs in here tho....The Em song leaked without Em;s consent and New York New york was for crisis2. but they are still good songs.

This is how you do it. Hard ass mixtapes and pop stuff to sell records. Genius. That way he technically doesn't lose his fanbase. Although IMO he was always doing the pop shit too. Dude plays the gutar and shit.

I might be the only B.o.B stan in here (and the world).

No genre or this might be in my top 10..if No Genre came out this year of course.

I'm not a B.O.B. stan by any means, but I like the guy. I don't mind some pop hip hop every so often like Pitbull for instance. And B.O.B. fits the bill well. In fact I find him more dull when he's trying to go for the "hard" shit, he just comes across as generic. When he's on his pop shit, he comes across like a more likable Andre 3000 (oh shit yes I said it).

kamspy

In fact getting brought out by another great artist usually doesn't bode very well.. Ask the Outlawz, jr Mafia, AZ, Lynch Mob, DTP, the list of people who had a huge co-sign and flopped badly is a long lonely one..

Spliff Star still releases mixtapes.

Recon

Banned
really KRIT is doing it like most of the successful southern artist.. Luda, Outkast, Banner, Eightball and MJG, UGK..

Yela is flopping and so has every artist but 50 (who was blessed by Dre) has flopped because of Em

Wayne whored Drake out and caught success

Hov delayed and messed with Cole for quite a bit.. I don't think you can say his co-signing did a lot..

Almost every artist from Shady/Aftermath flops unless Dre executive produces their album. Seriously. Hell, you are lucky to even release an album if your signed with them. As much as i think Em and Dre are great, they are horrible with their labels outside of a few exceptions.

cole w/o hov's cosign is another generic underground rapper.

The only person that pimped J. Cole out was J. Cole....besides Jay-Z featuring J. Cole on Blueprint 3, there has been little to no support behind him. Shoot, if J. Cole didn't continually give Jay-Z shout outs in every few songs, who would even know that he was signed with him?

DominoKid

The only person that pimped J. Cole out was J. Cole....besides Jay-Z featuring J. Cole on Blueprint 3, there has been little to no support behind him. Shoot, if J. Cole didn't continually give Jay-Z shout outs in every few songs, who would even know that he was signed with him?

it's the central piece of the J. Cole narrative. everybody knows it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't think the masses care as much as we do.. and even still we care very little. It's a street cred kind of thing.

Young Guru said it best, Jay's cosign didn't make Cole's debut a success, Cole's following he build up the past few years without Jay made Cole's debut a success.

Slizz

I don't think the masses care as much as we do.. and even still we care very little. It's a street cred kind of thing.

Young Guru said it best, Jay's cosign didn't make Cole's debut a success, Cole's following he build up the past few years without Jay made Cole's debut a success.

So then KRIT has it locked up then...

Recon

Banned

Cosigns dont matter much anymore. It matters who you get on your singles and how good your singles do. Shit is a business and Drake, Wayne, Etc. have it down to a science. Only people who give a shit about cosigns anymore are hiphop heads, and they dont buy many albums.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yeah Yela's problem was he didn't have a monster single. I can potentially see Good Girl and/or Hardest Love Song making a big splash on radio and giving Yela some more sales, but right now he's got Hard White, which is too gritty for a single, and Throw It Up, which doesn't work in clubs and is too vulgar for extreme radio exposure.
Animal might have hit potential too. I think radioactive has potential to have some legs once eminem convinces yela to start focusing on the radio audience.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So then KRIT has it locked up then...
No, because KRIT still doesn't have that mass appeal single. Country Shit was a better effort than Money on the Floor. It's much tougher for Southern artists to break out, simply being from the South is working against him because the masses scoff at that at first, happens every time I try to tell someone about KRIT or Yela. They don't want to hear what they've conceptualized in their head. KRIT needs to get on a B.o.B. single or something and absolutely murk it. He needs to do more songs where he does the hook and actually has a verse too unlike T.I.'s single.

I'm not discrediting KRIT, he's making moves, he has a following, the South loves him, but just cause the South loves him doesn't mean he's transcended into Drake and B.o.B. tier. "X artist will do well just because their good" is simple minded, there's much more to it than that.

Cosigns dont matter much anymore. It matters who you get on your singles and how good your singles do. Shit is a business and Drake, Wayne, Etc. have it down to a science. Only people who give a shit about cosigns anymore are hiphop heads, and they dont buy many albums.
Yep, business-oriented folk are always winners at the end of the day. Actually, Jay's management and the way he's handling Roc Nation probably deserve some credit too. They knew when to intervene in the process and how much, pretty much peaking with the Jay feature.

Recon

Banned
I have no clue why anyone would want to sign with Shady. Besides 50 Cent/D12, their most successful artist was Obie Trice.

Slizz

I guess since I'm in the South I have the bias. But like everyone I know down here loves this guy, I gotta believe he can succeed with only the southern support. Plus this album was pushed back for a reason. It will most likely be a southern masterpiece too rowdy to sleep on.

I'm still waiting for PhoenixDark to comment on how wrong he was about this single. This week it just hit it's highest peak so far @ #19 on the top 100.

Flop it is not.

At the time I was right: the single wasn't charting during the build up to the album, and only started charting a few weeks after the album came out.

But I'll still admit I was wrong: I said it didn't sound like a hit, and certainly didn't expect it to turn up in the top 20 like this. Now I'm baffled while Can't Get Enough never went anywhere.

Gotta love Jay-Z. He has barely mentioned Cole in the course of the last year, yet sent Drake a personal congratulations note the minute his soundscan came in. If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know about Jay-Z, nothing will. I'm glad Cole managed to make it without Jay dick riding him though, and it looks like Cole will go gold before the end of the year. The album is still selling at a steady pace

Recon

Banned
At the time I was right: the single wasn't charting during the build up to the album, and only started charting a few weeks after the album came out.

But I'll still admit I was wrong: I said it didn't sound like a hit, and certainly didn't expect it to turn up in the top 20 like this. Now I'm baffled while Can't Get Enough never went anywhere.

Gotta love Jay-Z. He has barely mentioned Cole in the course of the last year, yet sent Drake a personal congratulations note the minute his soundscan came in. If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know about Jay-Z, nothing will. I'm glad Cole managed to make it without Jay dick riding him though, and it looks like Cole will go gold before the end of the year. The album is still selling at a steady pace

To be fair, no one knows if he congratulated Cole. Just because he sent Drake a note, doesnt mean he didnt buy Cole something insane for going #1.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
To be fair, no one knows if he congratulated Cole. Just because he sent Drake a note, doesnt mean he didnt buy Cole something insane for going #1.
He sent Drake a used napkin, Cole already talked in an interview about how he got the congratulatory Jay phone call after the first week. Cole already got more than Drake, he's just not blowing it up as much.

He probably never bought Cole anything. And if he did Cole should be showing it off cause Drake possessing a napkin with marker on it from Jay-Z is making it look bad in comparison.

Recon

Banned
He sent Drake a used napkin, Cole already talked in an interview about how he got the congratulatory Jay phone call after the first week. Cole already got more than Drake, he's just not blowing it up as much.

He probably never bought Cole anything. And if he did Cole should be showing it off cause Drake possessing a napkin with marker on it from Jay-Z is making it look bad in comparison.

Yeah, i was just saying that there is no way Cole didnt get some type of "Congrats" from Jay. When your first artist on your new label goes #1 with his Debut, you dont keep quiet.

HiResDes

We gettin trippy tomorrow
cover.jpg

HYPE X 1000

I'd rather have a napkin from Hov than a phone call. When J Cole is homeless on the streets, his career dead and his music forgotten, what's going to keep him warm at night? The memory of a phone call? No. His college degree will keep him warm at night. And that napkin.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I'd rather have a napkin from Hov than a phone call. When J Cole is homeless on the streets, his career dead and his music forgotten, what's going to keep him warm at night? The memory of a phone call? No. His college degree will keep him warm at night. And that napkin.

shit. i started to laugh in class.

Blackace

I bet Hov made that phone call using the I am T-Pain app....

DominoKid

:O lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom