• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Semi accurate. I don't drink much though. I'm more of a smoker.

I got high for the first time in a year before thanksgiving dinner and I was high for like 8 fucking hours off one joint. Imma stick with my southern comfort.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I completely disagree about In My Dreams. It's a perfect intro for the album because it sets the mood throughout the rest of the album. The first half leads up to Common's second half and I couldn't picture the album starting off with Common's intro.

Make Her Say was on there because it sold. Nothing else. I'm pretty sure Cudi mentioned it somewhere that he didn't want it on the album either. Really wish it was a bonus track because it doesn't fit in at all.
Agreed with all of this. IMO the weakest song on MotM is Hyyer, but it still fits very well.

I honestly think A Kid Named Cudi was a better effort. MOTM had higher highs, but lower lows. I felt A Kid Named Cudi was consistently good the whole way.
MotM1 is a personal classic because I can listen to it in any mood, anytime, and the highs are astronomically high. My list is the same as coldveins except with Simple As in the place of Pursuit of Happiness.

I argue with a close friend about MotM1 vs. A KiD Named CuDi on which is the better effort sometimes, I respect the other side. I REALLY like A KiD Named CuDi too, but it's mostly for the progression of Man On The Moon > The Prayer > Day N Nite > Embrace the Martian. 3 of those 4 songs (excluding Day N Nite) are are probably my favourite CuDi songs ever. Embrace The Martian doesn't get anywhere near the amount of love it should IMO, my favourite Cudder song.

EDIT: And in the time I post, GAF redeems it self. Glad to see more love for Embrace The Martian.

PBY

Banned
It isn't. You are both wrong. It just fucking isn't. Stop. Stop everything. It's not even the best song on that half assed album. Kanye could run through his shows slapping audience members with his unwashed cock and some of you stans would scream how much you love it cause cockslapping is so cray.

...I'm too old for this shit

I'll get off your lawn...

...as soon AS I FINISH SWAGGIN OUTTTTT. THAT SHIT CRA(z)Y. Seriously, the victoria's secret performance was awesome.

Jay Sosa

I honestly think A Kid Named Cudi was a better effort. MOTM had higher highs, but lower lows. I felt A Kid Named Cudi was consistently good the whole way.

There is that one truly amazing song on that tape that somehow didn't make the album. Never understood why.

Looked it up: "Look Up the Sky"..such an great beat. Chorus is a bit worse than I remembered. Had that one on repeat when the tape came out. And it comes right after my favorite Cudi song.

And I can't believe that you just said that sidxx. I hated simple as so much I considered taking the cd out of my player and scratch it. Even deleted the mp3 I think. Wouldn't say it grew on me but I learned to tolerate it .

Imma stick with my southern comfort.

Haven't drank it very often but it tastes SOOOOO amazing. But knowing me I better stick to beer and wine because I empty any bottle like a fucking alcoholic. So it might be better to stay away form whiskey..

Sounds more like a favorite of yours, in no way will it be regarded as a classic. And that's coming from someone who thoroughly enjoyed MOTM.

I can listen to this album again and again. Everyone I talk to IRL also agrees. It is a classic.

Is it an official mixtape? I only know of 7 maybe 8 official tapes.

3 x Fahrenheit 1/15th
It Was Written
Lupe the Jedi
Muhammad Walks (maybe)
Enemy of the State
Friend of the People

Actually, I dont think it is. Regardless, which do you think is/are the best of the ones you listed?

Holy fuck at that beat. That shit goes!

Cole kills it. But that verse is basically everything Cole talks about in one verse.

lol. kind of true. Thats one thing I hope Cole does. Diversify. I still think he has the most potential out of all the "newcomers".

It's the greatest musical recording of this century.

I think the song itself is of classic status, but also agree that we should give it more time.

+1. absolutely.

I love you.

I completely disagree about In My Dreams. It's a perfect intro for the album because it sets the mood throughout the rest of the album. The first half leads up to Common's second half and I couldn't picture the album starting off with Common's intro.

Make Her Say was on there because it sold. Nothing else. I'm pretty sure Cudi mentioned it somewhere that he didn't want it on the album either. Really wish it was a bonus track because it doesn't fit in at all.

Agree with both. Also Make Her Say is a fun song. Its not bad at all. I still enjoy in fact, and its on my ipod. I dont skip it.

then i think you need to enjoy it more. or at least give it more time before saying if it is/isn't a classic (same for me) MOTM has been one of the few albums i can go back to time and time again.

Exactly.

I'm pretty shocked people think MOTM is a classic, never even heard that opinion before.

Fucking Sky Might Fall, Cudi Zone etc...How can you not love that shit?!

Simple As That is the reason I gave the album another shot. It came on randomly in my playlist and I loved the song so much I went back and gave the album another listen. Make Her Say being a single and In My Dreams being the first track completely ruined my initial impression of the album and nearly put it on the backburner permanently.

Simple As is great too. It was a song that grew on me, however, and I didnt fall in love with it at first.

Make Her Say is my least favorite track on the album.

Cudi Zone, Soundtrack 2 My Life, Heart of a Lion, Sky Might Fall, Pursuit of Happiness... those make it a classic for me.

how a dude can fall off so hard after putting out that record is beyond me. oh well..

I dont think he did. MOTM 2 is still good, just not MOTM 1 good. Also, lets just pretend WZRD isnt happening. Thats all we need to do. MOTM 3 still has the potential...

kamspy

I got high for the first time in a year before thanksgiving dinner and I was high for like 8 fucking hours off one joint. Imma stick with my southern comfort.

Alcohol makes me a jackass. I couldn't stay married if I drank everyday. I still remember the fight I got into with the wife when I argued the the Heineken mini keg only counted as "one beer" since it was one can. That was actually a pretty fun night....but it might have been the reason the townhouses I was staying in at the time refused to extend my lease when it expired. lol

I'm a really loud and ignorant drunk.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kanye is our generations Michael Jackson. COME AT ME.
When Kanye said he was the voice of our generation and people got pissed at him, I agreed. I see it no other way. I mean, yeah call him out for arrogance/being Kanye, but it's pretty accurate.

I wouldn't go as far as saying our generation's MJ though. MJ embodies more than what Kanye has accomplished.

Semi accurate. I don't drink much though. I'm more of a smoker.

I wouldn't even really call it a hip hop album. Not knocking the quality, it just doesn't strike me as a rap album. Ambient stoner trance hop.

Thats fair. I dont think its really rap either.

You mean his 1 mixtape? Dat Kid From Cleveland wasnt official.

Yeah he canceled the other one which pisses me off. That mixtape is also still amazing though.
Embrace The Martian is still my favorite Cudi song.

I love this song. So relatable.

Agreed with all of this. IMO the weakest song on MotM is Hyyer, but it still fits very well.

MotM1 is a personal classic because I can listen to it in any mood, anytime, and the highs are astronomically high. My list is the same as coldveins except with Simple As in the place of Pursuit of Happiness.

I argue with a close friend about MotM1 vs. A KiD Named CuDi on which is the better effort sometimes, I respect the other side. I REALLY like A KiD Named CuDi too, but it's mostly for the progression of Man On The Moon > The Prayer > Day N Nite > Embrace the Martian. 3 of those 4 songs (excluding Day N Nite) are are probably my favourite CuDi songs ever. Embrace The Martian doesn't get anywhere near the amount of love it should IMO, my favourite Cudder song.

EDIT: And in the time I post, GAF redeems it self. Glad to see more love for Embrace The Martian.

Such a perfect post.

The entire tape was solid but yeah,

MotM 1 > MotM 2 = A Kid Names Cudi

I guess I can get behind this. MOTM 2's highs were also incredible, and stand next MOTM 1, IMO. Problem is there are only a few.

I liked most of the songs on MOTM, except Hyyer and Make her say didn't fit in at all.

Its just the songs aren't that great. Maybe I just have higher standards for classics.

Let me get a feel for what else are classics from you cudi guys from the past 3 or so years.

CRS

And I can't believe that you just said that sidxx. I hated simple as so much I considered taking the cd out of my player and scratch it. Even deleted the mp3 I think. Wouldn't say it grew on me but I learned to tolerate it .

Pretty sure MotM 1 is my most listened to album while high, deservedly so. I remember being the highest I've ever been and getting "lost" while listening to the intro of Simple As... and throughout the rest of the song.

Actually, I dont think it is. Regardless, which do you think is/are the best of the ones you listed?
The 1/15th tapes (3rd is my favorite because of Gorillaz' Demon Days use but I know I'm in the minority there. If I tried to look at it objectively, 1st > 2nd > 3rd) > Lupe the Jedi > It Was Written >

PBY

Banned
Boy this thread moves fast when all you US guys are posting, I'm gonna go ly down. Night.

USA! USA! USA!
otis-jay-z-kanye-west-video-3.jpg

Recon

Banned
When Kanye said he was the voice of our generation and people got pissed at him, I agreed. I see it no other way. I mean, yeah call him out for arrogance/being Kanye, but it's pretty accurate.

I wouldn't go as far as saying our generation's MJ though. MJ embodies more than what Kanye has accomplished.

In 20 years Kanye will be looked at as one of the greats. He didnt do anything new, but he perfected certain things and put out 1 classic and 2 great albums( This is assuming his slide into mediocrity continues). He came out when gangsta rap and crunk were huge, and his sound was refreshing for those not into indie/underground artists. With that said, he probably will never be looked at as fondly as MJ is, even with all the allegations and lawsuits MJ dealt with. Kanye, you can never take away the greatness of The College Dropout, no matter how hard you try with your last couple of albums.

I haven't heard much Tinie Tempah. I like The Streets (lol...yeah I know I know but still OPM is pretty good album) but British accents in rap just feels wrong which is a shame.

The shit i took last night was better than MotM 2. Im so glad i saw Cudi in concert before that album came out.

I liked most of the songs on MOTM, except Hyyer and Make her say didn't fit in at all.

Its just the songs aren't that great. Maybe I just have higher standards for classics.

Let me get a feel for what else are classics from you cudi guys from the past 3 or so years.

Basically something that I can always listen to and never get tired of. For example I still listen to MM LP all the time, same for College Dropout, and a few others.

MOTM is also special to me because I can relate to a lot of it.

Pretty sure MotM 1 is my most listened to album while high, deservedly so. I remember being the highest I've ever been and getting "lost" while listening to the intro of Simple As... and throughout the rest of the song.

The 1/15th tapes (3rd is my favorite because of Gorillaz' Demon Days use but I know I'm in the minority there. If I tried to look at it objectively, 1st > 2nd > 3rd) > Lupe the Jedi > It Was Written >

Im wondering GAF, is this the general consensus for best Lupe mixtapes?

CRS

The shit i took last night was better than MotM 2. Im so glad i saw Cudi in concert before that album came out.

I still don't understand your hate for it. I saw him this June and it was amazing. No complaints about him performing any of his Post-MotM 1 material.

This thread moves fast regardless. Either you strap up or shut up.

Cudi talk? Let me walk away real quick because I would eat Scott Mescudi's poop.

Dude. High Five me lol.

I also think The Cool is borderline classic. In fact, I may like it more than F&L. That one is hard though. I mean, The Cool vs F&L....

siddx

I like you but I will kill you dead
I don't like MJ actually but thats a whole different argument/derail bait

Somehow Kamspy being a loud and obnoxious drunk is so fitting, I love it. I don't get loud but I do get a little obnoxious since I start thinking I am god's gift to the world.

And yes, Southern Comfort is my shit. With root beer or on the rocks.

PBY

Banned
I still don't understand your hate for it. I saw him this June and it was amazing. No complaints about him performing any of his Post-MotM 1 material.

I'm a huge supporter of MOTM2- I think its just as good as MOTM1, its just a darker take. Its the empire strikes back to a new hope. I'm waiting on MOTM3 to be the return of the jedi of the trilogy; WZRD is the equivalent of one of the Star Wars Christmas specials.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Im wondering GAF, is this the general consensus for best Lupe mixtapes?
Yes. (haven't listened myself, though, but those are what people say every single time).

In 20 years Kanye will be looked at as one of the greats. He didnt do anything new, but he perfected certain things and put out 1 classic and 2 great albums( This is assuming his slide into mediocrity continues). He came out when gangsta rap and crunk were huge, and his sound was refreshing for those not into indie/underground artists. With that said, he probably will never be looked at as fondly as MJ is, even with all the allegations and lawsuits MJ dealt with. Kanye, you can never take away the greatness of The College Dropout, no matter how hard you try with your last couple of albums.
Yeah, but Kanye's persona is a huge part of who he is, and has been there from the start. Kanye stans aren't surprised at any of that shit. He's just been villainized in the media, MJ's legacy spans way more decades and has far fewer controversies, so naturally he will be remembered more fondly. Oh and also because he's fucking MJ. Rest in peace.

I haven't heard much Tinie Tempah. I like The Streets (lol...yeah I know I know but still OPM is pretty good album) but British accents in rap just feels wrong which is a shame.
Im in the mood for something new, really. I was always okay with him, and the accent only makes it better and more refreshing to me. So long as I can still make out what someone is saying, an accent just adds some flavour to the mix.

Recon

Banned

Nothing on that album stuck with me. I have played it about 5 different times all the way through, trying to give it a chance. MOTM grabbed me instantly, but i just cant vibe with MOTM2. Even my friend who went to the concert with me felt the same. We blasted A Kid Named Cudi and MOTM1 so god damn much, but we never played MOTM2.

Recon

Banned
Yeah, but Kanye's persona is a huge part of who he is, and has been there from the start. Kanye stans aren't surprised at any of that shit. He's just been villainized in the media, MJ's legacy spans way more decades and has far fewer controversies, so naturally he will be remembered more fondly. Oh and also because he's fucking MJ. Rest in peace.

Ok. That is factually wrong. Kanye has never been accused of molesting a kid. White girls might of hated him for a few weeks for that Taylor Swift shit, but please, MJ dealt with far more serious allegations.

CRS

It's pretty random what I do while drunk. Half of the time I'm a loud, obnoxious drunk that makes it his mission to make sure everyone hears me and the other half I'm an emotional drunk that just sits in the corner and doesn't move/talk for hours.

Yambert

Neo Member
so I'm fairly new to hip hop, and as such I've been checking out all the "classics". The first time I listened to 36 chambers it bored the crap out of me. But I spinned it again today, and it all just clicked. It's SO good. I could listen to 7th chamber all day.

JackEtc

so I'm fairly new to hip hop, and as such I've been checking out all the "classics". The first time I listened to 36 chambers it bored the crap out of me. But I spinned it again today, and it all just clicked. It's SO good. I could listen to 7th chamber all day.
Same album got me into hip-hop, still my favorite.

What version of 7th Chamber do you like? Part II's beat is SO GOOD.

PBY

Banned
Please don't tell me there's a "MOTM2 is a classic" crowd.
I wouldn't go thaaat far; I think that MOTM1 is a classic, but MOTM2 is a worthy successor and a great entry in the trilogy. Its just not CLASSIC status because although it was tonally different than pt 1, it wasn't as fresh or new. Still awesome. Not as awesome as this tho:
tumblr_lvc9ssCpLZ1qdf6qho1_500.png

CRS

I'm a huge supporter of MOTM2- I think its just as good as MOTM1, its just a darker take. Its the empire strikes back to a new hope. I'm waiting on MOTM3 to be the return of the jedi of the trilogy; WZRD is the equivalent of one of the Star Wars Christmas specials.

I think this is the best analogy I've seen here on GAF-Hop. Better than the Sonic-cycle comparisons.

+1

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ok. That is factually wrong. Kanye has never been accused of molesting a kid. White girls might of hated him for a few weeks for that Taylor Swift shit, but please, MJ dealt with far more serious allegations.
I said fewer, not smaller. The MJ trial was one of the biggest events in the past decade. Ye has constantly had his mistakes publicized from early on in his career. MJ had years before his accusations, even if it was of far greater magnitude than Ye's compounded controversies.

Also, as far as MotM2 goes.. I've been listening to it again recently, and it's not as bad as I've been so vehemently condemning it since forever. I still think there is a huge leap in quality down from MotM1, but a lot of the songs feel a bit more.. genuine? Especially in the context of what CuDi was going through at the time.. it's perfect in conception, and perfect for the MotM series, and I now recognize it as canon!

siddx

MOTM2 had way too many bad songs to be a good album. These Worries and Don't Play This Song especially. There are some great tracks on the album, but it lacks the two anchor points of greatness that eventually hooked me into MOTM1 (Soundtrack 2 My life and Pursuit of Happiness). MOTM2 doesn't have any super high points and instead just kind of stays mediocre the whole way through, with dips into shittastic here and there.

PBY

Banned
MOTM2 had way too many bad songs to be a good album. These Worries and Don't Play This Song especially. There are some great tracks on the album, but it lacks the two anchor points of greatness that eventually hooked me into MOTM1 (Soundtrack 2 My life and Pursuit of Happiness). MOTM2 doesn't have any super high points and instead just kind of stays mediocre the whole way through, with dips into shittastic here and there.

Marijuana? Mr. Rager? MANIAC? Mojo So Dope? REVOFEV? Wildn cuz I'm young? so many good songs on that album..

I think REVOFEV and Maniac specifically, while maybe not even my fav songs off the album, were so damn unique. Theres literally NOTHING out there in hip hop like those two songs.

JackEtc

I wouldn't go thaaat far; I think that MOTM1 is a classic, but MOTM2 is a worthy successor and a great entry in the trilogy. Its just not CLASSIC status because although it was tonally different than pt 1, it wasn't as fresh or new. Still awesome. Not as awesome as this tho:
tumblr_lvc9ssCpLZ1qdf6qho1_500.png
TbAKA.png

Also, Make Her Say is my favorite Cudi track, just saying. You all can probably guess why, though.

Yambert

Neo Member
Same album got me into hip-hop, still my favorite.

What version of 7th Chamber do you like? Part II's beat is SO GOOD.

I like both a lot, but I prefer part I. I love the intro, and the way RZA takes the knock on the door and makes a beat out of it. Ive noticed this is probably the first rap album I've heard that I actually enjoy the skits and dont skip them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom