• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok after further review there's no way MOTM is a classic.

If it were to have come out this year it may not even be in my top 10.

I can't call that a classic unless you want to say there are a dozen or so "classic"s a year.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yela sold 40k?!

Shady got involved and fucked it all up. I knew it was coming, as soon as he signed with him. Yela should've stayed his ass in the South, making his kind of shit.

Bishman

Growin up in the Gutter is like some shitty ass wannabe NIN shit forreal. But I gotta say I still like most of the tracks on the album.

Even if he made Trunk Muzik 2.0 I doubt it would sell very well. I guess the fanbase isn't there. I can see Big KRIT not doing so well either.

How da fuck is boring ass J Cole so successful?!

jay-z-business-man.jpg

I wouldn't go far as to say that it's a classic (damn that word gets around), but it's amongst my favorite albums of all time.
I think that your position should be taken up by the rest of the cudi stans.

I have albums I personally love but would never label classic, same with films and books.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I try to judge artists/groups solely based on their musical group and try not to let their attitudes, drama, and controversies affect my judgement. There probably are a couple of exceptions though to this.

I wish it would work the other way too though because I know I do like artists more if I know they're respectful and appreciative of their fans. I guess I already liked them to begin with so it's just an icing on the cake, I guess.

krit comes to mind when i read this.

I have albums I personally love but would never label classic, same with films and books.
It has its strengths and weaknesses.

It's just people have different ways of labeling what a classic is and what a classic isn't.

Speaking of MOTM1, the only song that I found grating was Enter Galactic. Granted, I love the transition from Enter Galactic to Alive (the beat change and the Common voice over was done well), but the song as a whole was never a favorite of mine.

This I agree with.

But I don't think there are many albums that can be considered classics today.

The internet wouldn't allow it. Besides Music is just too broad to have something that everyone likes. To many different tastes. This is why I hate when someone here says that something is trash. Because someone likes it and there's nothing wrong with that...it's just that personally you don't like it.

It's like some people on the internet believes that their taste is the end all be all and that any one who disagrees with them is an idiot.

That's why I don't post on Gamefaqs anymore.

/rant.

PBY

Banned
This I agree with.

But I don't think there are many albums that can be considered classics today.

The internet wouldn't allow it. Besides Music is just too broad to have something that everyone likes. To many different tastes. This is why I hate when someone here says that something is trash. Because someone likes it and there's nothing wrong with that...it's just that personally you don't like it.

It's like some people on the internet believes that their taste is the end all be all and that any one who disagrees with them is an idiot.

That's why I don't post on Gamefaqs anymore.

/rant.

For real; the last great classic was MBDTF imho

CRS

krit comes to mind when i read this.

Exactly. Especially after seeing his interview with Nardwuar. Something about that made me like him a lot more.

Yeah, I guess I blur the lines a lot too. A classic should be something nearly everyone can agree is great, and those that don't like it can at least appreciate it.

PBY

Banned
Kanye only has 1 classic to his name, and it damn sure isnt MBDTF.

I really think you shd give that album another chance; its way more personal and introspective than you think it is. Its kanye evolving into the artist he is, and putting his growing pains into an album. And the production is amazing.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I really think you shd give that album another chance; its way more personal and introspective than you think it is. Its kanye evolving into the artist he is, and putting his growing pains into an album. And the production is amazing.

It's pretty bad.. start to finish.. WTT would be closer to "classic" than that.. if you like it cool, but I doubt you'd find many who would agree that it is a classic

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Was bored and wanted to procrastinate homework more, so I just whipped this up, per Enzo's request.

ibpeAiZe7sajJD.gif
Fucking saved. Props.

Jay's best line ever.

You have my sword.

Here comes Kanye cycle. Be back later.

Lol.

Damn, this thread moved fast tho, I just went out to eat and it jumped like 4 pages.

I've been listening to that VLNS NVR DIE, shit is pretty damn good. Dude is versatile with his flow for sure. I had that james bond tape, but I never got to it for some reason. I guess I just forgot about it, but yeah everyone to check it out tho.

That Juicy J tape is hot too, played that shit in the car. I've been fiendin for some music like that lately, so it's good to me and I didn't even now Taylor Gang was an actual label? I thought it was just something Wiz Khalifa said his fans were.

Going to peep out that Wax in a bit.

See, no one's going to ever agree what a "classic" truly is.

Sure, debate's good to learn from different perspectives, but talking about classics will always result in disagreement somehow.

PBY

Banned
Lol.

Damn, this thread moved fast tho, I just went out to eat and it jumped like 4 pages.

I've been listening to that VLNS NVR DIE, shit is pretty damn good. Dude is versatile with his flow for sure. I had that james bond tape, but I never got to it for some reason. I guess I just forgot about it, but yeah everyone to check it out tho.

That Juicy J tape is hot too, played that shit in the car. I've been fiendin for some music like that lately, so it's good to me and I didn't even now Taylor Gang was an actual label? I thought it was just something Wiz Khalifa said his fans were.

Going to peep out that Wax in a bit.
My favorite Crooks track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuV_qOajM8Y

Blackace

Sure, debate's good to learn from different perspectives, but talking about classics will always result in disagreement somehow.

I don't know.. even if I don't like the 36 chambers as much as many I would never say the album isn't a classic.... I don't have to like a style of an album to see it as a classic in the art..

Blackace

Half the internet anointed it as a classic when it was released.

Not I.. so half the net was swinging from the nuts and now that Ye went back to make banging joints they see that his last album was over produced trash....

IrishNinja

why 3 pages? oh, cudi-talk...you know, i never did hear MOTM, might try it out tonight.
also: few pages back someone posted Handsome Boy Modeling School, did they do anything past So how's your girl?, cause i dug that one.

Kanye is our generations Michael Jackson. COME AT ME.

not yet, but he's about the only one trying it on that level. it's gonna take a few more albums in my mind, and at least one of them better be on dropout tier.

For real; the last great classic was MBDTF imho

...yeah, you lost me here.

I think it's a given that Frank will be on an OF collab album. Excited for Tylers next album and Earl should be back in February so I would definitely expect something from him next year.

+1 to all that.

also: few pages back someone posted Handsome Boy Modeling School, did they do anything past So how's your girl?, cause i dug that one.

They have an album entitled White People, but I never tried it out. The tracklist looks godly, I should try it sometime.

And that's it from the two before their split-up.

iavi

I'm going to end this whole debate as to what's a classic or whatnot right now,

birdman-priceless.jpeg

With the mothafuckin Birdman. Anybody else listened, lol. Shit's kinda hype, I'm not gonna lie.

Blackace

I'm going to end this whole debate as to what's a classic or whatnot right now,

birdman-priceless.jpeg

With the mothafuckin Birdman. Anybody else listening? lol. Shit's kinda hype, I'm not gonna lie.

His best album by far

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Which is why it's best to let the title be earned through the test of time. Let some shit get old first, then see if it still pulls your heart strings.

See me in 10 years on MBDTF.

Which is why it's best to let the title be earned through the test of time. Let some shit get old first, then see if it still pulls your heart strings.

See me in 10 years on MBDTF.
Yeah.....I don't call anything a classic unless it's been out for about 5 years or so honestly. It's just a rule I go by, because I might not be feeling an album at all as time passes.

Yeah, I dig this. I'm going to have to finally listen to that, The World is not Enough, tape. Heard like 3 songs and it sounds smooth as hell.

PBY

Banned
Yeah.....I don't call anything a classic unless it's been out for about 5 years or so honestly. It's just a rule I go by, because I might not be feeling an album at all as time passes.

Yeah, I dig this. I'm going to have to finally listen to that, The World is not Enough, tape. Heard like 3 songs and it sounds smooth as hell.
Listen to that, but also Diamonds and Guns (crooklyn is on diamonds and guns if i recall correctly)

Blackace

One thing I love about this thread is how it was flying when someone said anything about Ye.. and came to a grinding halt at the mention of Birdman..

Ignorant music wins again!

iavi

One thing I love about this thread is how it was flying when someone said anything about Ye.. and came to a grinding halt at the mention of Birdman..

Ignorant music wins again!

Haha, Ye gets enough play. The Birdman hype train on the other hand, needs some steam.

overcast

Outdoorsman is a good call, that Action Bronson/Statik Selektah shit was good. Oh snapdizzle, Big Boi above all as far as I'm concerned. Really interested to see what he does with that album. Especially with all these random artists he's turning to like Little Dragon.
HMMM??
Posted?

Doomtree has announced today that they're going on a No Kings tour, the whole group.
http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=5a3a06dc6100455c6bfcb6888&id=78ad5d2330&e=4e034c25d9

I haven't listened to No Kings yet, but I'll go for POS and Dessa.
Hopefully it isn't too pricey, and hopefully I can get a job this month. Because I have a feeling the energy when Bangarang plays will kill people. 13 dollars?!?! Well shit.. Hopefully they are still there after a few weeks.
Didn't we agree that Pitchfork is horrible with hip-hop music?
Definitely. That album was critically acclaimed overall though. I still think it's close to LR.

IrishNinja

agreed, 5 year revisiting minimum sounds fair to me. it really hurts when shit dates poorly, i think the easy example around here is when old em would go after boybands and pop stars from the early 2000s or so - fucks things up for me a bit when hearing it now, might just be me though.

Honestly, I've never really hated listening to birdman rap or anything, I just feel like he's just there

But him and mannie fresh had them catchy as fuck songs when they were Big Tymers, I used to like their songs quite a bit lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom