• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Banned
I said fewer, not smaller. The MJ trial was one of the biggest events in the past decade. Ye has constantly had his mistakes publicized from early on in his career. MJ had years before his accusations, even if it was of far greater magnitude than Ye's compounded controversies.

Also, as far as MotM2 goes.. I've been listening to it again recently, and it's not as bad as I've been so vehemently condemning it since forever. I still think there is a huge leap in quality down from MotM1, but a lot of the songs feel a bit more.. genuine? Especially in the context of what CuDi was going through at the time.. it's perfect in conception, and perfect for the MotM series, and I now recognize it as canon!

Again, MJ had far more controversies. What did Kanye have to go through? Him crying like a baby every time he didnt win something. Getting emotional on TV after Katrina? It isnt even debatable, MJ went through more shit and bigger shit.

hmmm I dont think MOTM 2 was a classic, and I didnt think it was nearly as good as the first. But I did think that the few highs were in fact just as good. But thats the problem, there were only a few...

Maybe I will listen to MOTM 2 all over again later today. Im going to give it another chance.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Marijuana? Mr. Rager? MANIAC? Mojo So Dope? REVOFEV? Wildn cuz I'm young? so many good songs on that album..

Good songs, none of them great. I shouldn't say mediocre songs, more that the end result is mediocre because the low points drag it down.
And any album with Erase Me can never be good.

Recon

Banned
Good songs, none of them great. I shouldn't say mediocre songs, more that the end result is mediocre because the low points drag it down.
And any album with Erase Me can never be good.

Not gonna lie, that video had me rolling. Song was mediocre as fuck though.

MOTM is much better than MOTM2. Not even close, MOTM2 was a huge letdown, do not agree with this "worthy successor" stuff. So many average or boring songs on that thing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MANIAC is the only song on MotM2 that reminded me of the CuDi I know from his previous two releases. The atmosphere of that song is just something otherworldly.

MANIAC >>> Rest of MotM2

PBY

Banned
MANIAC is the only song on MotM2 that reminded me of the CuDi I know from his previous two releases. The atmosphere of that song is just something otherworldly.

MANIAC >>> Rest of MotM2
Mayyyybeee. I think that Mr. Rager is actually most in line with older cudi, no?

JackEtc

I like both a lot, but I prefer part I. I love the intro, and the way RZA takes the knock on the door and makes a beat out of it. Ive noticed this is probably the first rap album I've heard that I actually enjoy the skits and dont skip them.
Yeah, the skits are amazing.

I have too many albums to listen to for my top 10 list to fuck around and reevaluate Cudi's albums again.

I swear every month, I think man, MOTM was good, maybe MOTM2 will click this time and it never does.....sigh you assholes are going to make me listen to him for the rest of the day.

I like both a lot, but I prefer part I. I love the intro, and the way RZA takes the knock on the door and makes a beat out of it. Ive noticed this is probably the first rap album I've heard that I actually enjoy the skits and dont skip them.

If you like that sort of thing the DANGERDOOM record has hilarious skits :lol

CRS

Fugees will always have one of the greatest skits with their Chinese Restaurant skit.

You want beef? I got beef.

Black Star's Brown Skin Lady has a hilarious skit too. Not sure if it counts because it was from a movie though. "Even my conditioning has been conditioned."

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
When Kanye said he was the voice of our generation and people got pissed at him, I agreed. I see it no other way. I mean, yeah call him out for arrogance/being Kanye, but it's pretty accurate.

I wouldn't go as far as saying our generation's MJ though. MJ embodies more than what Kanye has accomplished.

I think someone has to say that about you... I don't think you can bill yourself that

MANIAC >>> Rest of MotM2

maniac's definitely the best track on motm2. If you like that check out the new schoolboy q song

....I think it's better. Needs some heavier sound in it though to propel it above Maniac.

Tokubetsu

I actually didn't like anything but Cleveland is the Reason off Kid Named Cudi. I'm starting to realize that my love with MOTM is a giant fluke because everything else has been either awful or mediocre. And I fucking can't stand the dude. Just one of those weird things I guess.

I can't really understand my love for Cudi other than the fact that im a pothead. Dude always seemed to have a dickish attitude. Everyone knows that guy thats super pretentious about his "art" when it's cool sometimes but mostly alright, then you blink and one day he's sort of a big deal and you're just like "Damn, how did this asshole get on? I need more faith, shit."

maniac's definitely the best track on motm2. If you like that check out the new schoolboy q song

....I think it's better.

Why are you comparing Q to Cudi?

kamspy

The Cudi project I want the most is the Chip the Ripper collabo that never came to fruition.

I'm a casual Cudi fan. Honestly never gave either of the albums a "real" full listen. Wife owned MOTM before I even really knew who Cudi was. Apparently she was an early Cudi myspace follower. Crazy! She barely even likes hip hop.

Recon

Banned
Cant stand Chip. He was the opener for Cudi when i saw him. Out of all the generic weed rappers, Chip is the most forgettable.

CRS

Chip the Ripper opened for Cudi and he did nothing for me. Maybe I just need to listen to more of his material.

kamspy

So, 2012. Who's going to be moving and shaking?

I see TDE and Outdoorsman really taking the momentum they got this year and taking off with it. They're definitely the two crews I'm most interested in seeing.

I'd also like an Odd Future album. The whole damn click. I think they could drop a classic (pending Frank's full commitment to the project).

Speaking of Mr. Ocean, I really need info on his project, and I really need him to drop a verse on at least half the tracks. I still haven't heard an Ocean verse that I haven't loved. They're simple, but he really pulls off the "every man" style better than anyone in recent memory. Window and She are great examples of what I'm talking about.

Chip the Ripper opened for Cudi and he did nothing for me. Maybe I just need to listen to more of his material.

Chip use to do the bumpers for the hip hop station here in Cincy a few years back. He'd use the same beat, and it would almost be the same verse everyday with little nuances added. When I heard him on a mixtape I was like "oh shit! it's the dude from the Wiz (radio station name)"

I'm a big Chip fan. Dude is easily the most down to earth Ohio artist. All the rest sell out of flake out. DJ Hi Tek, no matter how much I love a lot of his work, completely abandoned his city the minute he could. Bone lost DJ Uneek and lost their whole entire style in the process.

Acid08

Banned
I think it's a given that Frank will be on an OF collab album. Excited for Tylers next album and Earl should be back in February so I would definitely expect something from him next year.

CRS

Big K.R.I.T. (surprise) is the only album I'm currently excited for. I could be excited for other albums but K.R.I.T.'s is the only one that looks like it'll get released anytime soon.

CRS

Chip use to do the bumpers for the hip hop station here in Cincy a few years back. He'd use the same beat, and it would almost be the same verse everyday with little nuances added. When I heard him on a mixtape I was like "oh shit! it's the dude from the Wiz (radio station name)"

I'll add Chip's work to my To-Do list.

I'm a big Chip fan. Dude is easily the most down to earth Ohio artist. All the rest sell out of flake out. DJ Hi Tek, no matter how much I love a lot of his work, completely abandoned his city the minute he could. Bone lost DJ Uneek and lost their whole entire style in the process.
:(

I still haven't listened to Uni-5 where they got U-Neek back for a few tracks. I'm almost afraid to listen to it at this point.

kamspy

do you think MGK will ditch cleveland too?

anyways for 2012: TDE and KRIT. Any others to look out for?

MGK and Cleveland deserve to drift into the lake with each other. MGK is gunning for my most hated MC of 2012.

KRIT is a given for me. I was looking more toward crews.

I still don't think Kanye has his shit together with GOOD. Who does he actually have signed (like, for real signed) anyways? Just Pusha and Legend?

I still haven't listened to Uni-5 where they got U-Neek back for a few tracks. I'm almost afraid to listen to it at this point.

My little brother invented Stannery with his love for Bone. He said Uni-5 was the worst thing he's ever heard. It was the first thing he listened to when he got out of jail, and he said it was a real bummer. I'd just pass on it and remember the good days man. That new Flesh N Bone album actually has some old school sounding Bone tracks on it. Check that out instead.

As for Chip, his skills won't win you over, it's his personality. I just like the guy's demeanor.

PBY

Banned
Easily excited for Big Boi's album over everything right now; second to that would probably be Rick Ross' album.

Then GOOD music, and whatever we get from Wiz and Juicy J. I'm actually pumped for the Wiz/Snoop soundtrack haha.

lol yeah I don't really like MGK either but I'm gonna listen to that mixtape with Drama Beats out of curiosity because the Daddy's Lambo beat was bonkers.

Outdoorsman is a good call, that Action Bronson/Statik Selektah shit was good. Oh snapdizzle, Big Boi above all as far as I'm concerned. Really interested to see what he does with that album. Especially with all these random artists he's turning to like Little Dragon.

JackEtc

Was bored and wanted to procrastinate homework more, so I just whipped this up, per Enzo's request.

ibpeAiZe7sajJD.gif

CRS

My little brother invented Stannery with his love for Bone. He said Uni-5 was the worst thing he's ever heard. It was the first thing he listened to when he got out of jail, and he said it was a real bummer. I'd just pass on it and remember the good days man. That new Flesh N Bone album actually has some old school sounding Bone tracks on it. Check that out instead.
I wish they wouldn't release so much crap. I do have some hype for Krayzie's next solo project. Fuck if that'll ever get released though. And then stupid beef between the members isn't helping. Man, sucks to be a Bone stan. Almost makes me want to drink at how bummed out I get. Damn.

Uni-5 is garbage, period.

Anyway, relistening to MOTM right now.

Aw gawd, that intro is worse than I remember, cudi musta been high as fuck to sing like that.

CRS

I can't really understand my love for Cudi other than the fact that im a pothead. Dude always seemed to have a dickish attitude. Everyone knows that guy thats super pretentious about his "art" when it's cool sometimes but mostly alright, then you blink and one day he's sort of a big deal and you're just like "Damn, how did this asshole get on? I need more faith, shit."
I try to judge artists/groups solely based on their musical group and try not to let their attitudes, drama, and controversies affect my judgement. There probably are a couple of exceptions though to this.

I wish it would work the other way too though because I know I do like artists more if I know they're respectful and appreciative of their fans. I guess I already liked them to begin with so it's just an icing on the cake, I guess.

iavi

I've never been a Cudi fan either, tbh. He's had some alright tracks here and there, but none of the three releases that I heard from him sounded all that great to me. Dudes I know would claim his ass as some kind of second coming of something, and I just say wha? It has been a while since I've heard that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom