• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
It's the greatest musical recording of this century.

itrzB3hbqXYH2.gif

Recon

Banned
What burned me so much about MBDTF was that i was so damn hyped for it. I was eagerly awaiting every GOOD Friday track, watch that masturbatory video he made for the whole album. I was there man.

Then i heard it. The hype was still all over me. I think i even voted it #1 for my AOTY. Then i started to actually listen to it after the hype died down...It was shallow. Boring. A lot of gloss but no substance. Also, there wasnt much Yeezy on it. A ton of features, most of which were shit. What really pissed me off about it was that at its core, it was a album with a bunch of singles, that people thought were deeper than they actually were, including Ye. 808's and Heartbreak had more heart than this effort.

Listening to MBDTF.. shit is still fucking ridiculous.

thank you.

What burned me so much about MBDTF was that i was so damn hyped for it. I was eagerly awaiting every GOOD Friday track, watch that masturbatory video he made for the whole album. I was there man.

Then i heard it. The hype was still all over me. I think i even voted it #1 for my AOTY. Then i started to actually listen to it after the hype died down...It was shallow. Boring. A lot of gloss but no substance. Also, there wasnt much Yeezy on it. A ton of features, most of which were shit. What really pissed me off about it was that at its core, it was a album with a bunch of singles, that people thought were deeper than they actually were, including Ye. 808's and Heartbreak had more heart than this effort.

sorry you didn't get to enjoy it, bro.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

did you just Cnrt+v that from the MDTF thread?

nah i just kidding. i am sure there more people just like you who feel the same.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Since we're rehashing old topics, I'mma interrupt the Kanye crap and throw out my opinion about Oneirology. I know I'm late on this, but I had little time to really delve into meaty albums. With all the praise this has been getting, I had to sit on it until I had some time.

Predotorium is the best opening track of an album that I can recall probably since...well, ever. Hard as They Come, followed up with Murder? Awesome 1-2 punch. That Murder beat makes me want to learn to rap. Almost.

The rest of the album is really, really damn good. It's drive through the city at night while contemplating the meaning of life, before ending the night with a whisky on the rocks and chilling with the memories of all the shit gone wrong in a life spent living wrong kind of music.

Good shit. First I've really gotten into Cunnylinguists (stupid fucking name for a group that apparently make some serious-ass music, btw) but I'm going to be checking for them from now on.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
MBDTF was the album that cemented my thought that Kanye needs a "no man" in the studio with him who's still connected to the real world, and isn't in the "castle."

Then he makes...Dat so cray! What she'd order? Fish Filet!!!

Yeah...

Since we're rehashing old topics, I'mma interrupt the Kanye crap and throw out my opinion about Oneirology. I know I'm late on this, but I had little time to really delve into meaty albums. With all the praise this has been getting, I had to sit on it until I had some time.

Predotorium is the best opening track of an album that I can recall probably since...well, ever. Hard as They Come, followed up with Murder? Awesome 1-2 punch. That Murder beat makes me want to learn to rap. Almost.

The rest of the album is really, really damn good. It's drive through the city at night while contemplating the meaning of life, before ending the night with a whisky on the rocks and chilling with the memories of all the shit gone wrong in a life spent living wrong kind of music.

Good shit. First I've really gotten into Cunnylinguists (stupid fucking name for a group that apparently make some serious-ass music, btw) but I'm going to be checking for them from now on.

There's still been nothing this year that I've enjoyed as much as Oneirology, especially on the first listen. I knew it was AOTY right away, and nothing's been able to knock it off so far.

BTW, they also hate the group name but it's too late to change it.

Bishman

AOTY on my list. Check out CunninLynguists - A Piece of Strange.

Recon

Banned
There's still been nothing this year that I've enjoyed as much as Oneirology, especially on the first listen. I knew it was AOTY right away, and nothing's been able to knock it off so far.

And they also hate the group name but it's too late to change it.

I love the group name. Also, no Kanye AOTY for the Grammys.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

BTW, they also hate the group name but it's too late to change it.

i fucking love darkness, my habit.

also i love the name.

HAHA! Is that true? Much more respect for them then. Takes a real grown-ass man to just go "We were young and stupid. Sorry. Whatcha gonna do?"

Yeah, Kno admitted it during some interview this year. Basically they were just messing around with the name because they didn't expect to ever really get any attention, but the fanbase grew and it was too late. :lol

Cause I know you all care so much, been rifling through albums these past few days to cement a top 10.

XV - Zero Heroes - meh

Phonte - Charity starts at home - good but probably not in my top ten

Pharoahe - WAR - again, good but not quite good enough

Grieves - Together/Apart - Bleh

Elzhi - Elmatic - Potential top ten for me, gonna listen again when I work out.

MMG - Self Made - Fun album with no pretense but not that great.

Dessa - Castor, The Twin - I wrote it off at first, but I lsitened to it right after No Kings and expected something different. I'll try again tomorrow.

EDIT: Caught the first half of the roots album but decided to wait for that FLAC or 320 kbp/s before I judge it off a low quality leak.

coldvein

Banned
i dig oneirology, probably towards the bottom of my top ten.. but i havent listened to that much hiphop this year honestly.

To elaborate on XV, the production is good and I enjoyed kendrick and Pusha T features but his choruses and even his style made me feel like I was listening to a rap album for children.

Maybe I can explain it better after a few more listens but it jsut sounds really immature all around.

WanderingWind

I might be leaning toward Grieves as my personal AOTY on spins alone. Oneirology is probably already number 2. I don't know about anything else. What was I not disappointed in?

WTT? We just went over this.
Radioactive? Still listening, but this is some watered down Yela. Who the fuck is this guy?
Motherfucking Lasers? HA
Tyler? Great potential. Let's see where he goes with it.

Are they pretty consistent? I mean, is that album that same dark type of sound?

Consistently great, yeah, but that album pretty much started "Act 2" of their sound which has evolved into Death Is Silent, and Oneirology. It's not really the same, but you'll hear Kno's touch throughout. Terrific album, and I honestly never thought they would top it.

To elaborate on XV, the production is good and I enjoyed kendrick and Pusha T features but his choruses and even his style made me feel like I was listening to a rap album for children.

Maybe I can explain it better after a few more listens but it jsut sounds really immature all around.
THIS IS THE LAST TIME THAT YOU'LL EVER SEE US

AFTER THIS YOU'RE GONNA GO BLIND

WanderingWind

Consistently great, yeah, but that album pretty much started "Act 2" of their sound which has evolved into Death Is Silent, and Oneirology. It's not really the same, but you'll hear Kno's touch throughout. Terrific album, and I honestly never thought they would top it.

I'll give it a listen. I'm taking a week off work, and I'm spending a whole day doing nothing but sipping and listening to shit. It's going to be fucking awesome.

Nobility

Banned
So. MBDTF wasn't nominated for album of the year but Doo-Wops & Hooligans was...

Now I remember why I don't care about The Grammy's.

I guess Adele got this locked.

WanderingWind

So. MBDTF wasn't nominated for album of the year but Doo-Wops & Hooligans was...

Kanye is going to throw a glorious shitfit about a white girl getting nominated and him not.

Blackace

I thought Ye had it on lock.. oh wait he wasn't even invited bahahahahah

1. Cunninlynguists - Oneirology
2. Doomtree - No Kings
3. Action Bronson - Well Done
4. Shabaz Palaces - Black Up
5. Kendrick Lamar - Section 80
6. Big Krit - Return of 4eva
7. Curren$y/Alchemist - Covert Coup
8. The Throne - WTT
9. Danny Brown - XXX
10. Raekwon - Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang

Elzhi might push rae off my list. Also haven't checked out Apathy's Honkey Kong yet.

Blackace

HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT HAPPEN? AND RIHANNA AND BRUNO MARS GOT NOMS. THE GRAMMYS ARE A FUCKING JOKE. A GOODAMMMMN JOKE.

Bruno Mars and Riri made good albums... you fill in the rest

JEKKI

oh sheeyit we makin lists again!!

Rhymatic Eternal King Supreme
Arms & Hammers
Oneirology
my new iphone
Dr Lecter
Section 80
Monumental

I like a lot of stuff this year, but not enough of it is impressive enough for me to make an entire top 10

PBY

Banned
wait...Ye didn't get nominated for any Grammy's for this upcoming awards show?

I'm fucking done.

He got a nom for song of the year for AOTL, best rap performance for Otis, Best Rap song collabo for AOTL, Best Rap song for AOTL, Best Rap Song for Otis, Best Rap Album for WTT (along with motherfucking LASERS, THA CARTER IV, PINK FRIDAY) and MBDTF, and best recording package for WTT

No album of the year nod. I love how the grammys ignore anything that isn't on the radio basically.

coldvein

Banned
doomtree's new collective effort making top tens a week after it came out just gets me stoked. these kids are doing it right.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
He got a nom for song of the year for AOTL, best rap performance for Otis, Best Rap song collabo for AOTL, Best Rap song for AOTL, Best Rap Song for Otis, Best Rap Album for WTT (along with motherfucking LASERS, THA CARTER IV, PINK FRIDAY) and MBDTF, and best recording package for WTT

No album of the year nod. I love how the grammys ignore anything that isn't on the radio basically.

watch him win nothing. FUCKING NOTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom