• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
He got a nom for song of the year for AOTL, best rap performance for Otis, Best Rap song collabo for AOTL, Best Rap song for AOTL, Best Rap Song for Otis, Best Rap Album for WTT (along with motherfucking LASERS, THA CARTER IV, PINK FRIDAY) and MBDTF, and best recording package for WTT

No album of the year nod. I love how the grammys ignore anything that isn't on the radio basically.

It would help if the had good music...

Otis wasn't even on an album and beat out singles for MBDTF

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Why is Kendrick Lamar not at the Grammys? WTF IS THIS SHIT WITH NIKKI'S UGLY ASS GETTING NOMINATED?

Do they have a nomination for "Best Verse That Effectively Buried Another Rapper On His Own Goddamn CD, I Mean What The Fuck Game, Did You Not Listen To How You Got Ended On Your Own Fucking Record, Son?"

coldvein

Banned
how do grammy nominees even get nominated? is it the crowd of people at that victoria's secret fashion show that determine nominees? if so, that would make sense.

just listened to undun again. Is it safe to say Black Thought is a top 5 mc?......

Not only top 5 mc but top 5 most underrated as well. This guy has been killing it for years, he does not put out whack stuff. Doubt someone can name more than 5 guys still going hard today that has stayed as consistent as this guy has.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Do they have a nomination for "Best Verse That Effectively Buried Another Rapper On His Own Goddamn CD, I Mean What The Fuck Game, Did You Not Listen To How You Got Ended On Your Own Fucking Record, Son?"

They could just call it the Featured on a Game album award

Why do people bitch about the Grammys? They have been doing this for years, I'm sure if you look back a year ago at posts, the same people bitching now bitched then. Grammys have been shiet for over a decade.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
How could the voters be so heartleeeessssssssss

LOL

also where are the beastie boys
ijkrIQ.gif

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Little known fact, Nasa once considered using Rihanna's forehead as an emergency landing strip for their space shuttles but had to abandon the plan when pilots got spooked by her scrunched up alien looking face. According to Nasa spokesman Bruce Buckingham, they hired pop star Chris Brown to renovate the area to better facilitate an airstrip but "his bitch ass caught herpes and wrecked the work site in a fit of rage."

IrishNinja

MBDTF is the MGS4 of hip-hop

quoted like the 8th time for its splendor.

where the fuck is all this AOTY/legendary status MBDTF shit coming from? i'ma have to give it one more spin, because at the time it was alright - no cohesion and not a lotta standout tracks. i just recall being jealous that the radio cut of all of the lights dropped fergie's song-killing verse.

tracks i kept off it:
dark fantasy
gorgeous
power (great song/video)
all of the lights, a track so overproduced it gave me seizures in audiosurf
monster - fun track & video, despite a few lazy guest verses
so appalled
devil in a new dress
YEEZY TAUGHT ME featuring john legend

what did i miss?

ps im like six months late here, but was going back through the tyler - goblin thread...peterboy, dont let me be seein you talkin greasy about stillmatic, another non-classic but has more going for it than this one did.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

where the fuck is all this AOTY/legendary status MBDTF shit coming from? i'ma have to give it one more spin, because at the time it was alright - no cohesion and not a lotta standout tracks. i just recall being jealous that the radio cut of all of the lights dropped fergie's song-killing verse.

tracks i kept off it:
dark fantasy
gorgeous
power (great song/video)
so appalled
devil in a new dress

what did i miss?
You didn't keep Lost In The World? You missed Runaway, the AOTL interlude (why WOULDN'T you keep this?) and Hell of a Life, and the outro too.

Hell of a Life being the best of them all.

Also, I couldn't even play MBDTF in audiosurf cause I ripped it in lossless :(

tracks i kept off it:
dark fantasy
gorgeous
power (great song/video)
so appalled
devil in a new dress

what did i miss?

I'm trying to figure out what songs you DIDN'T keep?

as for opinion on it being good...it comes from the universal critical acclaim and our individual enjoyment of it.

Nobility

Banned
For the time being,

1. Big K.R.I.T. - Return of 4eva
2. Cunninlynguists - Oneirology (great album but hard to beat A Piece of Strange for me)
3. Kendrick Lamar - Section.80
4. J. Cole - The Sideline Story
5. Action Bronson/Statik Selektah - Well Done
6. Phonte - Charity Starts At Home
7. Elzhi - Elmatic
8. The Throne - Watch The Throne
9. Drake - Take Care
10. Saigon - The Greatest Story Never Told

Undun and The Dreamer, The Believer will change this list.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
For the time being,

1. Big K.R.I.T. - Return of 4eva
2. Cunninlynguists - Oneirology (great album but hard to beat A Piece of Strange for me)
3. Kendrick Lamar - Section.80
4. J. Cole - The Sideline Story
5. Action Bronson/Statik Selektah - Well Done
6. Phonte - Charity Starts At Home
7. Elzhi - Elmatic
8. The Throne - Watch The Throne
9. Drake - Take Care
10. Saigon - The Greatest Story Never Told

Undun and The Dreamer, The Believer will change this list.
Is this the second list so far with Saigon on it? I mean, I moderately enjoyed his album, but I'm already thinking half the people who actually listened to the album have it on their lists.

It's Alright is one of the best songs all year though, that most people probably never listened to. Also potentially fodder for those bitching about wanting to hear new, early Kanye beats today, cause most of the work for this album dates back pretty close.

EDIT: Speaking of best songs all year, 2.0 Boys performed live. Mmmmm.

IrishNinja

You didn't keep Lost In The World? You missed Runaway, the AOTL interlude (why WOULDN'T you keep this?) and Hell of a Life, and the outro too.

Hell of a Life being the best of them all.

i'll go back on hell of a life again, runaway sounded like a song ive heard others try numerous times and didnt work then either though. i totally forget the interlude, was it some skit shit? cause i usually dont hold onto those either, is the thing.

I'm trying to figure out what songs you DIDN'T keep?

as for opinion on it being good...it comes from the universal critical acclaim and our individual enjoyment of it.

cmon son, those are horrible arguments. critical acclaim = fuckall for reasons dominokid pointed to in his last post, your enjoyment's nice but if you're gonna point at it like it should be a contender for classic/legendary status for the artist etc etc i need more than "i like how it sounded and pitchfork did too".

should've been clearer: though i kept those tracks, i think like 1 or 2 of them are memorable enough to revisit with any frequency, unlike say college dropout that can go on almost the whole way through whenever. i liked what he was going for with power, monster and such but i didnt think they had much staying power, and when im putting an album up as a classic, no doubt it has weak spots but the highlights are supposed to be much bigger.

I really hope WTT loses, preferably to The Carter IV. Fuck Jay-Z

Will Hov let Simba sit next to him?

i'll bite: why? i get your (well-deserved) spite towards jay elec, but i gotta assume you're not on some illuminati shit here.

Tyga, Drake and Wiz should form a group, but if they were to add all their softness together they might just float away once they appear on a stage together.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Listening to Nicki Minaaj is like getting fucked to death by a bear. Having to look at her at the same time is like getting fucked back to life and then fucked to death all over again by a Mexican Cartel called Los Osos, made up entirely of angry bears on cocaine.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
^LOL Those chairs couldn't look more plasticky if you tried.

i'll go back on hell of a life again, runaway sounded like a song ive heard others try numerous times and didnt work then either though. i totally forget the interlude, was it some skit shit? cause i usually dont hold onto those either, is the thing.
Nah, it was a piano interlude, pretty much the AOTL melody put to strings and piano. So smooth.

cmon son, those are horrible arguments. critical acclaim = fuckall for reasons dominokid pointed to in his last post, your enjoyment's nice but if you're gonna point at it like it should be a contender for classic/legendary status for the artist etc etc i need more than "i like how it sounded and pitchfork did too".

should've been clearer: though i kept those tracks, i think like 1 or 2 of them are memorable enough to revisit with any frequency, unlike say college dropout that can go on almost the whole way through whenever. i liked what he was going for with power, monster and such but i didnt think they had much staying power, and when im putting an album up as a classic, no doubt it has weak spots but the highlights are supposed to be much bigger.
In all my defense of MBDTF I will never use Pitchfork as a merit of how good it is. Their reviews of rap records are fucking atrocious.

Also, apparently Kanye has the most nominations of anyone for Grammys? No excuse for not having Album of the Year as MBDTF and putting fucking Loud; LOUD instead.

i'll bite: why? i get your (well-deserved) spite towards jay elec, but i gotta assume you're not on some illuminati shit here.

Nasir the god released his own collab album and got completely ignored by the Grammys. I hate seeing the Camel get rewarded for steps Esco took first

Nobility

Banned
Is this the second list so far with Saigon on it? I mean, I moderately enjoyed his album, but I'm already thinking half the people who actually listened to the album have it on their lists.

It's Alright is one of the best songs all year though, that most people probably never listened to. Also potentially fodder for those bitching about wanting to hear new, early Kanye beats today, cause most of the work for this album dates back pretty close.

EDIT: Speaking of best songs all year, 2.0 Boys performed live. Mmmmm.

Honestly, all the albums after #8 was a toss up and you could have replaced 9 or 10 with Camp. I know for sure that Undun will make this list and there is yet to be a song from The Dreamer that I haven't liked.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Nasir the god released his own collab album and got completely ignored by the Grammys. I hate seeing the Camel get rewarded for steps Esco took first

I liked Welcome to Jamrock. I like Nas. Distant Relatives? A whole shit load of really fast gibberish sprinkled with Lupe-level political "messages."

Glad Nas got that out of his system.

How likely is it that Lupe will redeem himself next year?

Lasers + Lupe non-sense has drove me away for the last 8 months.

don't believe the people who say his new mixtape is a path to redemption. It isn't very good...but still you should probably give it a listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom